PDA

View Full Version : players here don't really play much PSU - ideas to improve

Alazar313
Jan 7, 2009, 03:49 AM
Hi guys,

I just happen to notice that a very large amount of players here actually are on and off PSU players like myself.

I come back every year to PSU for 1 month. Usually its from Mid DEC-JAN. I return to the pc/ps2 servers for 2 reasons.

I want to know if the community has gotten larger
I wanna see if SEGA made any major changes to make the game more enjoyable to my taste.

Since 2006 when I started in December Iv only played one month a year.

So Im wondering what would SEGA have to do to PSU for those of you who play like myself on and of 1 2 maybe 3 months of the year, What would SEGA have to do to this game for you to make this your main game, and for you to play every month of the year, and pay for the subscription all year long. If sega wants me to play every month of the year, and pay non stop they would have to do the following, in order of importance.

#1 Advertise- I can't help but feel demoralized every time I look at the server list with only 2 stars. That alone is more than half the reason why I don't play, I feel the games already on its last leg and I really don't wanna put any kind of effort into a game that's showing very little sign of life.

#2 Release a new expansion/Balance all the missions.- The reason the game is not to enjoyable to me is the fact you run one or two missions over and over again. It is very hard to find players willing to run many missions that are not the current "hot thing". I think SEGA should balance missions, Make 2-4 missions really good exp, but give each mission a incentive to do it, like one mission has +10% drop rate, while another mission is really fast to do so you can get exp faster, make the the 3rd mission drop more crafting based items while the forth mission drops more S rank weapons but less exp. Stuff like that, SEGA could do this to make it instead of a 1 or 2 mission game a 4 5 maybe even 6 mission game, some variety would really do this game good.

#3 Join JP & EN servers together- This could be possible if they did the above and released a new expansion. This would also solve the community issues at the same time. Im sure some JP players won't want to party with English players, as same the other way, but once both sides get used to the other it will all balance out and everyone will just pt with everyone, Same as it works in FFXI.

#4 Update the game, I know you can't add many things to the disc the way it is, and server side there is only so much you can do especially with the ps2 holding the game back, However there's no reason why they can't do a GM event every day, or a Mini Treasure hunter event maybe, an NPC that give you S rank boards in exchange for a Rare item, Stuff like that to add some spice to the games simplistic formula. Many free 2 play games do this, They add GM events, where players can win costumes, exclusive cosmetic items only available for GMs tru the event. And F2P games make it work out fine.

#5 Offer a download demo for the PC version, with advertisements the Demo or "Free tirial" on PC would be a great way to get new players, Even 2-5 weeks worth of advertising on mmorpg.com would probably bring at least 300 players to the PC/ps2 servers.

For SEGA to get my money the way Square Enix gets it, (every month of the year for the past 5 years) This is what SEGA would have to do,(I know it wont ever happen, its SEGA after all, but its just fun to think about.) So what about you guys what would SEGA have to do for them to keep you all year long playing PSU as your main game?

xBladeM6x
Jan 7, 2009, 04:04 AM
Long Answer:

I think people just look at this game as dieing because the population is "low". Yes on the PC/PS2 side it is, but they are the same people who have been playing. Chances are it will not get any lower. The 360 side has a huge population. Now a lot of people would say "LOL You call 1000+ people large? Roflcopter!!?!" But in reality, look how many people can be on at MAX everyday. 20,000. That's it. This game is like PSO in the sense that it could operate just fine, and was prefered by some, with a smaller community.

#1: Yes I think advertisement would help, but most gaming websites that did review this game, only did it the first time around. (when there was nothing.) They really should re-review it now the Aoti is out.

#2: I do agree that all the missions that aren't the hotspots, including PSU v1 missions, and lower rank on missions, should have updated Meseta and Misison Points Rewards and rebalenced levels of creatures on monsters. Like how Holy Grounds on S is like 65+ and then on S2 it's like 85+. =.= It's kinda stupid in my opinion.

#3: No. We would miss out on alot of events, and everything would be pretty much spoiled.

#4: The game is updated. o.O If you want more unique weapons and missions, you should see the weapons and missions on Phantasy Star Portable. They are insane. And the best part about it, is that SEGA has said that with the next expansion they are going to add those weapons/missions, and more unique weapons that relate to other SEGA titles. Aka - A slicer that shoots Sonic Rings.

#5: They should have a demo, but chances are, they are not going to put it on there. =.=

Anyways, I play PSU as my main game because I enjoy the environment, friends, and the gameplay is amazing to me. It's almost like a feeling of "home". Since I have gotten the game (2 years ago) i haven't quit, or considered quitting once. Not even during the content update problems. This game is amazing, but just like people did with PSO when it was up, people complained all through out it's life span. Up unitil they had basically given them all the contnet. (5 Years into the game) Then everyone felt the game was amazing. Basically, this game is going to have a long life span for a reason, and I'm willing to wait, play, and enjoy all the way up to the serves close.

Short Answer: I guess I don't feel so negative about the situation since I play on the 360 servers. (Where the population is bigger than needed, therefore I have no problem when finding a party if friends aren't on) That, and there is already a lawltasic Demo to go on. XD

ashley50
Jan 7, 2009, 05:33 AM
#1 SoA doesn't care? lol
#2 no comment
#3 ...no, just no. Keep them separated.
#4 no comment
#5 no comment

Ithildin
Jan 7, 2009, 09:02 AM
I lol'd at the thread title and then apologies, tl;dr

Cracka_J
Jan 7, 2009, 09:14 AM
I've been a subscriber since launch...
I play cause it's fun, and I bitch when I buy a 6 month sub and get 1 major update at the end of it.

But yeah, it's mostly cause of the friends I play with that make the game enjoyable. If they weren't around I would have quit long ago. So it's really irrelevant what sega does as long as my friends stick with the game.

Gunslinger-08
Jan 7, 2009, 09:17 AM
But yeah, it's mostly cause of the friends I play with that make the game enjoyable. If they weren't around I would have quit long ago. So it's really irrelevant what sega does as long as my friends stick with the game.

Same here. In fact, I think that's the reason a lot of us do stick around.

vfloresjr24
Jan 7, 2009, 09:29 AM
I have not been online for over a year already but I do plan on comming back. I miss this game and the people I play with.

Yunfa
Jan 7, 2009, 10:26 AM
I've sold my sold to SEGA, PSU FOR LIFE!!! UNTIL TEH SERVERS SHUT DOWN!!! Seriously tho Alazar313 maybe you're expecting too much, hence your long post about "changes."

- If you have the time to post such a thought thread, maybe you should go level up your photon arts/bullets/technics, or spend 25 levels hunting an Agito Repca [b] like i did.

Alazar313
Jan 7, 2009, 12:43 PM
I've sold my sold to SEGA, PSU FOR LIFE!!! UNTIL TEH SERVERS SHUT DOWN!!! Seriously tho Alazar313 maybe you're expecting too much, hence your long post about "changes."

- If you have the time to post such a thought thread, maybe you should go level up your photon arts/bullets/technics, or spend 25 levels hunting an Agito Repca [b] like i did.

I think you hit the nail on the head about me expecting to much, I think thats very true, I do expect to much, but only because I see where this game could be if sega were to put the effort some companies put into their mmorpgs.

I understand this game is not an mmorpg, its probably not wise of me to expect content, population, development and updates like if it was an mmorpg. At the moment though I don't know why it feels like Gauntlet dark legacy online with a subscription fee, I also Think it should feel like more than that to be, but for some odd reason It just doesn't and I really want it to.

darkante
Jan 7, 2009, 12:54 PM
Who wouldn´t love those S3 missions to strike V1 missions.
With worthwhile drops, hopefully a bit more rare. >.>
That would most definitively raise the fun.

Vent
Jan 7, 2009, 01:16 PM
I've been playing...when I liked it. I don't have 'fixed' friends to play with on PSU, nor am I that kind of social guy that can make friends with just anyone. I usually play a month or two, lose interest, play other games, come back when I feel like it (after a few updates or during an event :-o).

Aries2384
Jan 7, 2009, 01:56 PM
I play when I feel like it but lately ive been toying with the idea of canceling my subscription for 6 months and then coming back after a couple new things have been introduced. UNfortunately, that wont happen as I DO want to play the events (whenever those are released). The game is fun because of the friends I play with, other than that.. my pa's are lvld, I'm happy with my pallets as they are now and.. well.. there just isnt anything new to keep me interested. <shrug>

Noblewine
Jan 7, 2009, 03:50 PM
The population has dropped alot because of the lack of updates but I don't think that's going to stop anyone from enjoying PSU. Theirs stuff to do like the GBR, hunting or exploring. I'm on most of the time or I'm either playing something else.

SammaeltheDark
Jan 7, 2009, 04:13 PM
PSU just has never had the content to be an "all the time" game.. well, neither was PSO. But PSO was a fun game that years later you could still pick up and do a few runs for fun.. especially with the multiplayer local mode in ep1&2

Unfortunately PSU is tied to online servers, so when they go down, the game really does die

It'd be a great sendoff if for the final patch Sega allows users to DL their character/room data and make all the online stuff (which we've DLed the data for anyhow) available offline.. but that's a pretty wild idea

ps: 'sup Noble ;P

Vent
Jan 7, 2009, 04:14 PM
The population has dropped alot because of the lack of updates but I don't think that's going to stop anyone from enjoying PSU. Theirs stuff to do like the GBR, hunting or exploring. I'm on most of the time or I'm either playing something else.

I think it's mainly those people that can enjoy PSU without updates that are keeping the community alive. Too bad there's not many of them. Much more people can't enjoy the game for that long periods of time without updates (like me).
There's a small reason that can be mentioned about why there aren't that many new players. Those new players seem to come and go. It's hard for a new player to join the community of players who have top-end gear, maxed out levels and PAs. Of course, I'm not actually blaming the veteran players here for the lack of a players on PSU and especially the PS2/PC servers.