PDA

View Full Version : Glamour, Glitter, Fashion, and Fame

Immovable One
Jan 17, 2009, 09:05 PM
Final Got to finish this!

http://haven9270.deviantart.com/

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e327/haven9270/JemandTheHologramsfinalpreview.jpg

For those of you who don't know (HAHAHAHAHA), this is Jem and the Holograms - from the popular 80s cartoon I barely remember. After rewatching a bit of it (NOSTALGIA!), I had the urge to make a Fan Art.

It wasn't an easy task - the musical instruments don't look functional (I had criticisms about it, but I explained I just copied the ones on the doll box illustrations). I took a few liberties, especially the hair because they just look horrible in the cartoon - I just found it hard to figure out what those stylized hairstyles are trying to.... stylize!

I didn't like the way I drew Kimber, and her wretched keyboard. Jem looks fine, but her hair was freaking difficult to color, I had fun with Shana and Aja. Raya on the other hand, has clothing so horrendous, that I was THIS close to giving her a brand new outfit - but NO, I gotta to stay true to the original designs!

Sketched on paper, inked in Comic Studio, colored and filtered in Photoshop.

Zarode
Jan 17, 2009, 11:22 PM
What a fabulous time they are having.

Libram
Jan 17, 2009, 11:27 PM
Now we just need someone else to do the Misfits.

Seority
Jan 18, 2009, 05:24 AM
That's freakin hawt! X3

qoxolg
Jan 18, 2009, 06:16 AM
Never seen the cartoon, but it looks great!

Somehow your style reminds me a bit of how anime looked in the 80's and early 90's, so it fits perfectly with the characters.

Rust
Jan 19, 2009, 10:37 PM
Somehow your style reminds me a bit of how anime looked in the 80's and early 90's, so it fits perfectly with the characters.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Also, you're right about the keyboard instrument perspective being a bit messed up, but otherwise that's a really great piece of work you have there. (Congratulations on the 1st place in the PS0 contest, by the way.)

HUnewearl_Meira
Jan 19, 2009, 11:23 PM

As well it should-- JEM was a cartoon from the 80's, and, though my memory of it is rather fuzzy, it may very well have been drawn in that style, to begin with.

Immovable One
Jan 20, 2009, 02:20 AM
Thanks^^

I'm quite fond of this style, and I believe it fit the subject well.

DezoPenguin
Jan 20, 2009, 08:20 AM
It scares me to admit that I immediately recognized the subject of the thread from the topic line. Darn, I'm old. ^_^ The art, though, is very, very nice, with over-the-top poses and splashy color suitable for the subject matter.

Gentlemen
Jan 23, 2009, 11:08 PM
I won't comment on the instruments, especially the guitar (it's missing the tuning machines and the neck is fused with the headstock). Hiding the electronic drums is nice and the wretched keyboard is awesome in every sense of the word. Mic looks off for no reason but it's so brutally subtle, like the other instruments, I don't care.

Overall, great job. I hate to just say something looks alright but that's what's up. Some more polish on the instruments (and not just wax) wouldn't hurt for future installments but the characters are done well enough and it works. Nice take on a forgotten show.

Immovable One
Jan 24, 2009, 10:25 AM
Thank you very much^^

Normally, I would've done some research on the actual construction of the instruments, but I wanted to finish the artwork quickly so the best I could do was just reference from the doll box illustrations and some screenshots. Even Raya's drums had me going WTF!?

But now that I'm done with this, I've learned quite a bit.
And in the end that's an achievement for me.

Thanks again ;)

deso123
Jan 25, 2009, 10:23 PM
What a fabulous time they are having.

lol'd

CupOfCoffee
Jan 25, 2009, 10:47 PM
Very, very awesome, especially considering this is probably the world's first instance of Jem fanart in 15 years or more. :lol: