PDA

View Full Version : In which my computer gets infected and I go nuts... and PSOW rants fix everything!

astuarlen
Jan 19, 2009, 02:29 PM
So, yeah, I built a new system in December and I thought it would be a real smrt idea to install XP 64-bit. Folly! So far I haven't noticed a whole lot of performance improvement, but I have noticed one thing...

I contracted some nasty malcrap that redirects google results to shady sites th'other night. I try to be cautious about what I click, and I run Kaspersky and Comodo FW, but I guess shit happens. And this shit appears to be going around.
And that means there are plenty of helpful solutions to this infestation going around tech support forums.
But most of those programs just don't work with XP 64 bit. I'm working my way through everything that is compatible, and nothing is finding my problem. So I'm pretty distressed.

The moral of the story? I don't know, maybe stick with what everyone else is using or you'll be alone with your woes.

Fucking woes.
Everyone have a woe cookie.

Edit: Hah, I was finally able to fix this by manually deleting files and editing the registry. Phew. This proves that posting a rant in PSOW leads to success in all endeavors (I think the last time I posted a tech-related rant I was able to then fix the problem hours later). Yay.

Smidge204
Jan 19, 2009, 02:36 PM
Yeah, most people will tell you XP64 is a pile of ass if you ask them. Unless you actualyl have 64-bit applications to run, don't bother with a 64-bit OS - you won't really gain anything from it anyway.

*dips woe cookie in milk of sorrow*

Until that magical day comes when I actually need more than two processor cores, I'll stick with 2000 Professional. I don't even bother running anitvirus software anymore because it never gets infected with anything.
=Smidge=

astuarlen
Jan 19, 2009, 03:03 PM
Yeah, somehow I got the impression I'd get a nice performance boost working with huge Photoshop files (which is pretty the most important thing I do), but... argh.

Inazuma
Jan 19, 2009, 03:16 PM
ironically, i heard the biggest advantage to a 64 bit OS is better security :P

SabZero
Jan 19, 2009, 03:21 PM
Nah, 64 bit OS isn't the problem. AVG exists for 64 bit, for example. I'd also recommend a GNU/Linux for working. Dual boot a windows for your games.

You'll need those 64 bits for RAM in excess of 4GB, which is what graphics programs need ;)

Shadowpawn
Jan 19, 2009, 03:24 PM
Nah, 64 bit OS isn't the problem. AVG exists for 64 bit, for example. I'd also recommend a GNU/Linux for working. Dual boot a windows for your games.

You'll need those 64 bits for RAM in excess of 4GB, which is what graphics programs need ;)

I don't think photoshop works in Linux dude. :/ Only GIMP

@ast: Can't you just uninstill the OS and replace it with the 32-bit? Reforming the hard drive should wipe out the virus (along with everything else but still.)

Smidge204
Jan 19, 2009, 03:29 PM
Photoshop apparently has good compatibility with Wine, so yes... Photoshop does work in Linux.

=Smidge=

Shadowpawn
Jan 19, 2009, 03:38 PM
Yeah but you have to tweak the wine interface in order to get Photoshop to work with it. It's not like installing an .exe.

Kylie
Jan 19, 2009, 03:42 PM
I went through this malware crap recently too, and it's made me one paranoid user. I've downloaded just about every anti-virus program that's been suggested to me, and I run scans over the slightest malfunction or discrepancy...

I live in fear. :(

Leviathan
Jan 19, 2009, 03:51 PM
I had a Trojan Zlob.G last year.
It opened up a ton of windows, recorded keystrokes, closed out og windows when ever it pleased, and took print screens of what I did. Good thing all I did was school work on it. But it was pretty menacing.

I hope you find a solution ast, if I were in your situation I would just sit in a corner and cry because I just wouldn't know what's going on.

amtalx
Jan 19, 2009, 04:08 PM
Unfortunately, you will only see a PS improvement if the edition of PS you are running is 64-bit. Otherwise, its just running in a backwards compatible 32-bit mode, and you may actually see worse performance.

New moral: Watch others walk of the 64-bit cliff and plummet to their deaths, while you eat popcorn and enjoy the view from the 32-bit land. You will only see performance gains if the application you are using supports 64-bit addressing.

astuarlen
Jan 19, 2009, 04:37 PM
I don't think photoshop works in Linux dude. :/ Only GIMP

@ast: Can't you just uninstill the OS and replace it with the 32-bit? Reforming the hard drive should wipe out the virus (along with everything else but still.)
I would love to reinstall XP 32 even though it means losing access to some memory; unfortunately, my old XP Pro CD is an hour's drive away in a car I don't have. My brother thinks I should make a new partition and install Ubuntu (and maybe even Windows 7, though I just can't imagine that being a good idea). Umm. And of course I could just reformat and reinstall XP 64, but God knows I'd probably just get infected again and the cycle would repeat.

I went through this malware crap recently too, and it's made me one paranoid user. I've downloaded just about every anti-virus program that's been suggested to me, and I run scans over the slightest malfunction or discrepancy...

I live in fear. :(
The terrorists have indeed won.

Unfortunately, you will only see a PS improvement if the edition of PS you are running is 64-bit. Otherwise, its just running in a backwards compatible 32-bit mode, and you may actually see worse performance.

New moral: Watch others walk of the 64-bit cliff and plummet to their deaths, while you eat popcorn and enjoy the view from the 32-bit land. You will only see performance gains if the application you are using supports 64-bit addressing.
All this talk about kernels--I hate it when they get stuck in my throat.

SpikeOtacon
Jan 19, 2009, 04:42 PM
Microsoft has their own malware removal tool (http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx) that I believe works on 64 bit XP. It doesn't say no, so it's worth a shot.

astuarlen
Jan 19, 2009, 05:49 PM
Microsoft has their own malware removal tool (http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx) that I believe works on 64 bit XP. It doesn't say no, so it's worth a shot.

Thanks for the tip, Spikuru. You are ever the gentleman/the best the best the best. But I have already tried that.
I've already run--some multiple times--Kaspersky 6, Spybot S&D, ESET Online, SuperAntiSpyware, AVG 8, Avira, Trendmicro Housecall, Malwarebytes' Anti-malware, MS Malicious Software Removal Tool, and Roguefix (not all at once, of course; I'm not quite that daft).

Trying to back stuff up right now and hoping to reformat and reinstall XP 32 next weekend.
Blah.

As viruses (can I call it a virus? I don't even) go, this one isn't so bad so far. I should be grateful... ha.

Blitzkommando
Jan 21, 2009, 03:55 PM
XP 64 support has always been between little and none since release largely due to it not being a retail operating system as it is available only in OEM licenses (meaning Microsoft expects the OEM to take care of issues).

That said, CS4 has 64-bit support (only for Windows though, CS5 will bring 64-bit to Mac) which is something that lots of people have been waiting for years to see. I have some other multimedia applications that are both highly multi-threaded and 64-bit. All said and done though, I did try XP 64 way back when and found it to not provide much other than the Windows Server 2003 64-bit kernel over the older XP kernel.

My suggestion for support and 64-bit? Vista 64. I've been running it essentially solo for about a year and a half now and the worst 'infection' I've gotten has been in the form of tracking cookies though that's largely due to a strong hardware firewall and common sense browsing. All of that said though, it may very well be worth it to wait for Windows 7 64-bit as it should be out in the coming months. I've been testing it out for a little while now and am extremely impressed. It's fast, it's caching is more refined than Vista, and it works with everything (aside from HWMonitor) that I have thrown at it. I also really like the new interface for the taskbar as it allows so much more to be open without causing as much obstructions as with the older format though if the user wishes the old style can be reimplemented.

One final note, Vista 64 brought more security measures than Vista 32. Namely the kernel space is sent to a randomized memory location upon each boot meaning malware/viruses that expect the kernel to be at a specific location in memory won't work.

astuarlen
Jan 21, 2009, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the input, Blitz. From what (admittedly little, which is obviously a chronic condition I suffer from) I've read about folks' reactions to Windows 7, it sounds like it could be well worth the upgrade, provided I can come up with enough gold bars. I was, uh, perhaps not-so-fortunate enough to get XP 64 at a huge student discount.

Well, at least I was able to sort this out after much panicked pacing and hair pulling.

BahnKnakyu
Jan 21, 2009, 10:46 PM
Just a heads up, if you want to run a 64-bit OS, run either Vista or Windows 7. Windows XP 64 was released in a really weird time, immediately after Windows Server 32 and 64 was release, so you could say it's kind of a black sheep of the Windows client OS line. Vista and Seven-64, however, were released simultaneously with their 32-bit counterpart, so general compatibility for programs and whatnot is better.

And protip, GameGuard doesn't work with 64-bit OSes properly - it runs and allows you to run PSU, but it doesnt do ANY anti-cheat protection at all. *innocent whistle*