PDA

View Full Version : Screw you, Earthlink.

Blue-Hawk
Jan 22, 2009, 01:28 PM
Yes, I'm still with Earthlink and their crappy DSL service. I started with thier dial up in 2001 when I got my DC online after AOHelL wouldn't work with it and they pissed me off to no ends as well.

Anyway, in 2004, I uppped to their 3 meg DSL. Last year, I was unhappy with their srvice and price ($45 for 3 megs?!) so I negotiated for the best they offered, 6 megs for the same price I was paying before. They accepted. 3 months later, I get bills for $55 a month and my service wasn't any better. Hell, it was worse. Mass disconections as well. It got so bad, I had to stop playing any online games because of lagouts. And no it's not my pc because my pc is good even after a year from purchase.

So, here I am, 4-5 months after the negotiation, really pissed with their service, and crappt 100-400K a second file download speeds on sites (took me 3 hours to download a 1.9 gig file >_< UNACCEPTABLE!). I just got Optimum Online, since I still live at home, and they gave me a 15-20 meg for $45 a month. Happy with them, I try to cancel my Earthlink and they tell me I'm in a new 1 year contract for the 6 meg. WHAT THE FUCK?! I was NEVER informed I signed a new contract. No one told me abut that. Legally they HAVE to tell you these things so you know in case some things come up and you HAVE to cancel services. I am NOT paying them another $55 a month nor am I paying that damned $149.95 termination fee for their failure to inform the customer of a new contract they automatically added without my knowledge nor consent.

Fuck you very much, Earthlink.

Outrider
Jan 22, 2009, 03:38 PM
Have you tried checking Consumerist.com? It's a blog that covers various goof-ups and problems consumers have to deal with, but they often also supply numbers to directly escalate your issue with customer service or other useful information. Try doing a search there and see if they have anything on Earthlink issues.

Dhylec
Jan 22, 2009, 04:04 PM
Sometimes it's best to switch, but always beware of hidden fees.

I'm on EL cable, but my connection ain't much better. For about a month, my connection is unsurfable, unplayable. Sometimes it took a whole minute to load a PSOW page. Most of the time it just timed out.

I was looking into other ISPs, but it's strange that every time I enter my phone or zip code, I get redirected to Time Warner. EL uses TW's cable lines, so it looks like i'm stuck with it for now. At least I can surf & play now.

McLaughlin
Jan 22, 2009, 09:07 PM
Tell your bank to refuse payment to EarthLink.

Anyways, I have an amusing ISP story. I was with Bell Sympatico for a while. When my mom split from her boyfriend, we moved, and attempted to have our internet service moved with us. They mailed us the modem and I attempted to set it up (read: plug it in). As I expected though, it couldn't possibly be that easy, and the DSL light never came on.

So I called them. Every day. For a week. "Try unplugging it." Squat. "Try connecting it through a different phone jack." Squat. Finally one guy says there might be something wrong with the line, and that he'd send someone out to have a look. He also told me they'd call back tomorrow to see if it was working. That call never came, and that light never came on.

After another week of that horseshit I told them to kindly fuck themselves, and that I was moving to Rogers Hi-Speed. I asked how I would go about getting rid of the modem, and they told me I'd have to pay to mail it back. "What?" After arguing with the guy for half an hour he finally agreed to send me a prepaid box.

At the end of that month I got a bill from them for $65.00. They actually charged me for the month of service I never got. I hadn't even had the fucking modem for a month. I had to call them AGAIN and bitched over the phone for an hour AGAIN to get them to refund my money.

After all of that, four months later I get a call. I picked up the phone and get an automated voice saying, "The issue regarding your modem should now be resolved. If you have any additional problems, please call XXX-XXX-XXXX."

I just stared at the phone for a few minutes, flabbergasted. Then I called Rogers and moved my other services (phone, cable) to them.

Nai_Calus
Jan 26, 2009, 11:27 AM
*looks at 1.5 DSL and the downloads that usually go about 150K/sec*
*looks at the 28.8 dialup at the previous residence*

Must be nice to live somewhere where you can be so spoiled.

Also, welcome to Earthlink. Why the frak are you still with them after 8 years if you've hated them the whole time? The cancellation process isn't that damned pushy, I know, I used to take their sodding cancellation calls.

*shrugs, wanders off*

Powder Keg
Jan 26, 2009, 11:33 AM
Wow, Earthlink still exists?

It's definitely time to switch. They've always sucked. That fee is the same (if not worse) than Comcast. That's not even possible!

Blue-Hawk
Jan 26, 2009, 11:50 AM
*looks at 1.5 DSL and the downloads that usually go about 150K/sec*
*looks at the 28.8 dialup at the previous residence*

Must be nice to live somewhere where you can be so spoiled.

Also, welcome to Earthlink. Why the frak are you still with them after 8 years if you've hated them the whole time? The cancellation process isn't that damned pushy, I know, I used to take their sodding cancellation calls.

*shrugs, wanders off*

I didn't hate them untill last September. Before that, I was happy with their service.

Anyway, issue resolved. I'm NOT getting charged the fee because I didn't get a new modem for the speeds. The first call, they didn't ask me that. The second call, they did. Go figure.