PDA

View Full Version : Exclusive DLC?

Kylie
Jan 22, 2009, 09:37 PM
I guess this is a rant of sorts. I know this is how things work in the gaming world and such, but it seems like things are getting ridiculous now -- perhaps even a little political. I don't like that games I've bought recently for my PS3 are getting exclusive extras on Live. One of these games being Tomb Raider: Underworld. It's getting two whole levels and an extra playable character. It bugs me because the game seemed rather incomplete and lacked all the unlockables the previous game had. Meh. This console war is just tiring me out...

Inazuma
Jan 22, 2009, 09:55 PM
yeah, i completely agree w/ you. i hate the whole idea behind microtransactions. ive done well not to buy any game that has them so far, but it sucks how psu will add them in later. they should have included them from day one so we could easily pass on the game altogether.

i own a ps3 but only have one game for it. and i dont own a xbox360 or any wii game that has this shit (like samba de amigo). the dreamcast really was the last great console.

Nitro Vordex
Jan 22, 2009, 10:20 PM
PS3 is a Blu Ray player, didn't they make that clear?

Annoying aside, I think I remember seeing something about the PS3 being annoying to code for. It probably does have some games, and even less good games, but apparently they are just too much trouble. Especially when more people own an Xbox360 than they do a PS3.

Leviathan
Jan 22, 2009, 10:54 PM
The Xbox 360 is the most popular system so they're most likely to make more DLC for them instead seeing as how it is the most profitable.

Sucks, but that's how business goes.

Kylie
Jan 22, 2009, 11:02 PM
I know that's how business goes, so I'm really just complaining about it sucking. I also agree with Inazuma in that I don't like how a lot of next-gen games are having so much DLC in the first place. It feels like they left a lot of stuff out of Tomb Raider Underworld on purpose (it doesn't even have bosses or extra costumes >_>), and that makes me wonder if they're trying to get me in added expenses. Oh wait... No, I know they're trying to do that. :x Sly bastards.

@Nitro: I'll let the PS3 snipes slide... this time. :-P

Nitro Vordex
Jan 22, 2009, 11:26 PM
Also, having DLC content makes the game last longer. If PSU had everything avialable from the start, people might have given up already.

...I mean more than they already have.

If there was more DLC for some of the games, I think they'd be in the consumer's home for longer periods, so that they don't resell then into used game shops and lose money.

Solstis
Jan 22, 2009, 11:29 PM
You guys got Little Big Planet. I'd call it even.

McLaughlin
Jan 22, 2009, 11:31 PM
With The Force Unleashed, Lucas Arts (wow, capital-itis much?) had an entire level completed (the Jedi Temple) before the game shipped, and only gave it to us as DLC a month or so ago. It's 800 points (ten bucks I guess).

As far as exclusive stuff, I'd get used to it on the PS3. The worst sales, on top of trying to compete with Microsoft's Xbox Live Marketplace, means it's not going to change any time soon.

Kylie
Jan 22, 2009, 11:33 PM
It's gets old, and even that has DLC... $1.99 to be Chun Li?!

Outrider
Jan 22, 2009, 11:57 PM
Tomb Raider Underworld suffered from a rushed dev cycle and as a result had to cut several levels.

Those levels are being added in as DLC. Some people from the company claimed that they were cut specifically so they could be offered as DLC; others disagreed with that sentiment.

DLC can either be used for including content set aside from the original plan specifically for DLC (or simply unlocking content already on the disc, such as with the Xbox 360 Katamari game) or a way for developers to continue adding content to a game long after it has been released (such as map packs for Halo 3, expansion packs, etc.)

There's terrible DLC and good DLC, basically.

As for the whole Xbox 360/PS3 thing - This has been happening for far longer than there has been downloadable content. Welcome to the console war.

Powder Keg
Jan 22, 2009, 11:58 PM
It's just a new way for companies to make money. I remember first thinking the same thing as the OP when we used to play Crackdown all the time and the new content came about. What's worse is in some (or all?) cases you can't play with someone who doesn't have the same content as you do.

Outrider
Jan 23, 2009, 12:04 AM
Actually, here's a great example of terrible uses for DLC:

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/01/22/underachievement-ea-selling-unlock-everything-dlc-for-skate-2/

Like they did with The Godfather on Xbox 360, EA is offering DLC which unlocks all the content in Skate 2.

This should be a cheat code if anything - not a $5 fake item that unlocks content.

McLaughlin
Jan 23, 2009, 12:10 AM
Actually, here's a great example of terrible uses for DLC:

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/01/22/underachievement-ea-selling-unlock-everything-dlc-for-skate-2/

Like they did with The Godfather on Xbox 360, EA is offering DLC which unlocks all the content in Skate 2.

This should be a cheat code if anything - not a $5 fake item that unlocks content.

Namco let you buy Gold, levels, hard-to-get titles, skill sets, and items for Tales of Vesperia. Would have been alright if all that stuff wasn't obscenely overpriced.

Inazuma
Jan 23, 2009, 02:04 AM
Namco let you buy Gold, levels, hard-to-get titles, skill sets, and items for Tales of Vesperia. Would have been alright if all that stuff wasn't obscenely overpriced.

*makes note to never buy tales of vesperia* they purposely made that stuff hard to get normally, so to encourage idiots to pay extra for it.

NPCMook
Jan 23, 2009, 07:10 AM

Lets see what kind of DLC we get from Star Ocean

McLaughlin
Jan 23, 2009, 07:52 AM
*makes note to never buy tales of vesperia* they purposely made that stuff hard to get normally, so to encourage idiots to pay extra for it.

It wasn't too difficult to get, I'd say that kind of stuff was more for people too lazy to get it themselves. Tales of Vesperia's a great game. :/

amtalx
Jan 23, 2009, 08:45 AM
DLC can be awesome when implemented properly. Games like Fallout 3 (another XBL exclusive DLC example) and Mass Effect are good examples. They were both complete and packed with gameplay when they shipped, but the DLC added to an already exceptional experience. AAA titles tend to implement their DLC in reasonable ways. Sorry Kylie, TR hasn't been a AAA title for years. :p I guess the bright side is that Sony will hopefully learn their lesson by seeing all the money MS raking in with exclusive DLC and shape up next time.

Outrider
Jan 23, 2009, 10:10 AM
DLC can be awesome when implemented properly. Games like Fallout 3 (another XBL exclusive DLC example) and Mass Effect are good examples. They were both complete and packed with gameplay when they shipped, but the DLC added to an already exceptional experience. AAA titles tend to implement their DLC in reasonable ways. Sorry Kylie, TR hasn't been a AAA title for years. :p I guess the bright side is that Sony will hopefully learn their lesson by seeing all the money MS raking in with exclusive DLC and shape up next time.

Now, I haven't played Bring Down the Sky in Mass Effect, but from what I've read, isn't it mostly just another planet and another series of indoor battles using the standard indoor base format? I guess there's more story, which is neat, but it sounds like the gameplay was a little cut and paste.

Then again, I felt that was the issue with a lot of the Mass Effect side-quests, so I can see how somebody who was a fan of those would also enjoy the DLC.

I actually think that Burnout Paradise is doing DLC right. They've been releasing new gameplay modes, new vehicle types (motorcycles) and new vehicles on a fairly regular basis. I even think most of it has been free, but that's not the point. The thing that they're doing is they're releasing new content on a periodic basis to keep updating the game for players. It's not releasing a cut level after the game is released or a new character - it's continually adding to the experience.

Aisha379
Jan 23, 2009, 10:45 AM
DLC is nice when its added as an "extra" to a game, instead of charging when it should have been on the game to begin with.

The PS3 gets some good DLC though, in Japan, Valkyria Chronicles is getting character-side-stories of very popular characters (in Japan) AFTER the game was released - they made the stuff from scratch after the game was already out (good idea.)

Although I think DLC likes the Tales of Vesperia and Skate 2 stuff is lawlable, I wouldn't mind unlocking all the songs on Rock Band / Rock Band 2, but thats because I hate the way you unlock them as opposed to the GH series and I rarely play it anyway...though really that should be a code and not DLC, but still.

Anyway, actual quality of DLC aside, I do have to agree its stupid to give it to only one console. Making more sells or not, I'm sure it would be most profitable to let everyone have a chance at buying it.

amtalx
Jan 23, 2009, 11:05 AM
Now, I haven't played Bring Down the Sky in Mass Effect, but from what I've read, isn't it mostly just another planet and another series of indoor battles using the standard indoor base format? I guess there's more story, which is neat, but it sounds like the gameplay was a little cut and paste.

Then again, I felt that was the issue with a lot of the Mass Effect side-quests, so I can see how somebody who was a fan of those would also enjoy the DLC.

That was a problem with Mass Effect as a whole. Each planet was basically the same...but with a different color palette. Maybe throw in one of those sand worms for good measure. Hopefully Mass Effect 2 will address this. I also heard we will see Mass Effect 2 this year. *celebrates*

Outrider
Jan 23, 2009, 11:14 AM
Although I think DLC likes the Tales of Vesperia and Skate 2 stuff is lawlable, I wouldn't mind unlocking all the songs on Rock Band / Rock Band 2, but thats because I hate the way you unlock them as opposed to the GH series and I rarely play it anyway...though really that should be a code and not DLC, but still.

And it is a code. On both Rock Band and Rock Band 2, you can just enter in a code to unlock the "Unlock all songs" cheat in the options. You can then turn it on or off at will. (At least, I know it's an option in RB2, maybe in the first one it's always on once you enter the code? I don't know.)

To me, this Skate 2 thing is very similar to EA's Godfather DLC debacle. They had DLC items that would give you special weapons, additional cash, etc. The thing is, all of these were available with cheat codes on the other systems. So in other words, if you were playing The Godfather on PS2, you could unlock these items by putting in a code, but if you were playing on Xbox 360, you had to pay for them.

Kylie
Jan 23, 2009, 11:51 AM
Sorry Kylie, TR hasn't been a AAA title for years. :p I guess the bright side is that Sony will hopefully learn their lesson by seeing all the money MS raking in with exclusive DLC and shape up next time.I will kill you for that, you know.

Actually, I know the other Tomb Raider games sucked (I have some kind of sick fetish with awful games), but Legend was very good. The combat was improved, the story came together, and the puzzles weren't as annoying. I was hoping they stayed in that direction... Anyway, so many people told me to get a 360 yesterday. So many people have been telling me to get a 360, and I've been stubborn. :-P But I'm more than ever open to the idea now because I don't want to miss out on extras of my favorite series just because of this stuff, and getting a 360 seems like a safer bet to avoid that for all the obvious reasons. I need money though.

Aisha379
Jan 23, 2009, 11:55 AM
And it is a code. On both Rock Band and Rock Band 2, you can just enter in a code to unlock the "Unlock all songs" cheat in the options. You can then turn it on or off at will. (At least, I know it's an option in RB2, maybe in the first one it's always on once you enter the code? I don't know.)

I saw that on gamefaqs, but it says it disables saving then, which I think is pretty dumb =/

McLaughlin
Jan 23, 2009, 12:31 PM
That was a problem with Mass Effect as a whole. Each planet was basically the same...but with a different color palette. Maybe throw in one of those sand worms for good measure. Hopefully Mass Effect 2 will address this. I also heard we will see Mass Effect 2 this year. *celebrates*

Thresher Maws scared the hell out of me every time they popped up. Especially on Insanity. I became fearful of large, flat areas. >_>

While the sidequest planets were largely the same, I think the plot planets were very well done. And if MA2 comes out this year...*drool*

EDIT:

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u267/Obsidian19/vaderjoinx360small.png

Outrider
Jan 23, 2009, 01:02 PM
I will kill you for that, you know.

Actually, I know the other Tomb Raider games sucked (I have some kind of sick fetish with awful games), but Legend was very good. The combat was improved, the story came together, and the puzzles weren't as annoying. I was hoping they stayed in that direction...

Yeah, I can't comprehend your love for the Tomb Raider series, but Legend was actually a pretty good game. I wouldn't go so far as to say it was excellent or one of the best games of the year, but it was a surprisingly well-made, entertaining game. The controls were pretty tight, the graphics were good, the story made sense, and it was fun.

Then again, I played it for free on Gametap, so maybe my view of it might be skewed?

Still, a good game, and I'd say it's worth a few bucks if you can track it down used.

I saw that on gamefaqs, but it says it disables saving then, which I think is pretty dumb =/

Disables saving? I'm pretty sure it saves your high scores if you're using that cheat (again, I've only really played Rock Band 2, so maybe the first is different).

Or are you talking about the Tour mode or whatever it's called?

Zarode
Jan 23, 2009, 01:55 PM

It's more frustrating than fun.

amtalx
Jan 23, 2009, 02:48 PM
Anyway, so many people told me to get a 360 yesterday. So many people have been telling me to get a 360, and I've been stubborn. :-P But I'm more than ever open to the idea now because I don't want to miss out on extras of my favorite series just because of this stuff, and getting a 360 seems like a safer bet to avoid that for all the obvious reasons. I need money though.

*jedi mind trick*
DO IT.

Really though. What would you have missed out on if you had chosen a 360 instead of a PS3?

MGS4...

*crickets*
LBP?

Outrider
Jan 23, 2009, 02:55 PM
*jedi mind trick*
DO IT.

Really though. What would you have missed out on if you had chosen a 360 instead of a PS3?

MGS4...

*crickets*
LBP?

The same crappy controller that you've been forced to use for the past fifteen years?

I'm sorry, that was a low blow.

My bigger question is - aside from DLC, what Xbox games would you be willing to buy a new system for? I mean, I got a 360 over a PS3, but I can count the number of Xbox 360 exclusive games worth considering on one hand.

Although - streaming Netflix is so good I'm tempted to say it's worth the price of admission alone - just for hyperbole's sake, of course.

amtalx
Jan 23, 2009, 03:16 PM
Oblivion was the reason I bought my 360, and I couldn't be happier. I got my PS3 because of MGS4 and that was right around the time we got the economic stimulus package, haha. I got my Wii for...umm, can't remember.

Outrider
Jan 23, 2009, 03:25 PM
Oblivion was the reason I bought my 360, and I couldn't be happier. I got my PS3 because of MGS4 and that was right around the time we got the economic stimulus package, haha. I got my Wii for...umm, can't remember.

Well, Kylie could already get Oblivion on PS3 (Though why anyone would want to? That's something I'll never understand).

My point being that if you're already the owner of either the PS3 or the 360, there doesn't really seem to be too much point of switching to the other.

I consider myself a real Halo nut, so that pretty much sealed the deal for me, while my brother's a huge MGS nut, so he obviously went with the PS3. Other than that, I've had fun with my 360 exclusives, but none of them have really blown my mind.

Mass Effect was neat, Gears of War is worth playing through once (which I did with my cousin - and then never found a good enough reason to buy my own copy), and I guess Fable is supposed to be fun? I don't know. The exclusives I had the most fun with were probably Braid and (just recently) Castle Crashers. I actually think that's one of the few places where the 360 really stands out.

I'm going ridiculously off-topic here.

Kylie - I don't think Tomb Raider's DLC is supposed to be too great anyway, so don't feel bad that you can't get it. TOPIC DONE.

amtalx
Jan 23, 2009, 03:53 PM
There are a couple timed exclusives like Oblivion and BioShock that aren't really exclusives anymore. At the time I was choosing a first console (I knew I would get all of them at some point) it was a big deal. As far as existing exclusives for 360, Mass Effect, Halo 3, and GoW 1/2 are the only ones that come to mind immediately. There are also a bunch of XBLA games worth playing.

At this point, I don't really think its the exclusives that are attractive about either system, although I'm pretty excited for Killzone 2. Its the fact that XBL shits all over PSN with golden turds is what does it for me.

McLaughlin
Jan 23, 2009, 04:29 PM
Lost Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia, The Last Remnant. I really liked these ones, as well as Halo3 (I still play it), Gears 2 (I still play it, but not as much as Halo), Mass Effect.

Wow, I rattled off more RPGs than shooters. >_>

I never really liked Killzone. :/ Probably the only thing that could really make me get a PS3 is Kingdom Hearts III (say what you want, I like those games). But Amtalx is right, there's a pretty big gap between Xbox Live and PSN.

Kylie
Jan 23, 2009, 04:48 PM
The thing is that I have a list exclusives I'd like to play on the 360, but there's nothing I feel like I have to play. Last Remnant, Left 4 Dead, Dead Rising, Dead Or Alive, etc. I still defend my console choice because I had no idea how many of my friends were not getting a PS3 when I made my decision, nor did I know about all this exclusive DLC stuff (should have seen it coming though). So I don't know. I've never been a two console in the same generation kind of gal, but there's a lot of things to consider here. I don't see the harm in trying it if I can get the money.

amtalx
Jan 23, 2009, 11:01 PM
More is better. :D I don't like missing anything, so as long as I have the means, I will continue to buy every console for each generation. Choices are never a bad thing.

Aisha379
Jan 23, 2009, 11:05 PM
More is better. :D I don't like missing anything, so as long as I have the means, I will continue to buy every console for each generation. Choices are never a bad thing.

Indeed.

If you're a big gamer, and have the monetary means to do otherwise, why intentionally limit yourself to one console?

Outrider
Jan 23, 2009, 11:26 PM
Indeed.

If you're a big gamer, and have the monetary means to do otherwise, why intentionally limit yourself to one console?

I mean, let's face it - most people can't afford it. I know I certainly couldn't.

And heck, it's not just lack of money - between work and a social life, having more systems cuts drastically into what little free time a lot of people have.

(Probably the reason why I have such a ridiculous backlog of games...)

amtalx
Jan 24, 2009, 10:12 AM
I have a HUGE backlog of games (like 100s) and I will never realistically get to all of them. If anything, having multiple systems just makes me pickier about what I play. I only have so much time regardless of how many games I play, so I always go for the cream of the crop first.

SStrikerR
Jan 24, 2009, 08:57 PM
Honestly, I'm not buying downloaded content at all, because most of the things are either novelties or things that should have been in the game from the beginning. Except the Legendary Map pack for Halo 3, that I will eventually buy.

Kent
Jan 25, 2009, 12:30 AM
The games industry is prone to slippery slopes - for instance, look at all of the shovelware available for the Wii and DS, simply due to the sheer popularity of the systems.

The inverse can be true, too - the PlayStation 3 has never been the popular system, and thusly, publishers look at the risk versus reward factor in greenlighting and funding games and exclusives for it... And they decide to not go through with it, or in some cases, even greenlight it as a project for a different, more popular, and more successful platform, with a higher install and attach rate.

Before the PlayStation 3 even launched, Sony made it painfully obvious that this trend was not going to shift in their favor. Both before and after the system's launch, various Sony spokespersons made some completely ridiculous claims, such as Jack Tretton's "I'll pay anyone $1200 that finds a PS3 just sitting on a store shelf," back in January of 2007, for which he still owes me about $360k (ironic number, I know).

It stands to reason that the majority of Sony's momentum going into this generation was almost purely due to the amount of success they had in the previous generation - which is still rolling on its own, but ironically got more momentum of its own, due to certain decisions made with its "successor."

But, Kylie, if you do decide to make a hop over to the 360 at some point, there is rumor of something in which you may be interested (http://kotaku.com/5138404/360-to-get-special-resident-evil-5-console).

Also, having DLC content makes the game last longer. If PSU had everything avialable from the start, people might have given up already.
Unless you're counting the expansion pack (which most people don't, in these cases), PSU doesn't have DLC. The online mode updates for PSU actually work a lot like the "DLC" for Soul Calibur IV, which were nothing more than 108kB (minimum Xbox Live Marketplace download size) junk data files that flipped a variable enabling content on the disc.

Kylie
Jan 25, 2009, 12:55 AM
Wow. Too bad I already have RE5 reserved for my PS3, but I can see myself getting it for both systems. A lot of my friends that I want to play it with will be on Live, after all. Plus, I've been obsessed with red lately, so thanks. I'm certainly interested in that.

Kent
Jan 25, 2009, 01:28 AM
You can always cancel reservations. :wacko:

Of course, a friend of mine who is absolutely obsessed with Resident Evil has every iteration of the series made, for every console on which it has appeared (even for systems he doesn't own), but it's understandable, as a collector. I'm actually pretty curious if he'd get this bundle, being that he already has a 360...

SStrikerR
Jan 25, 2009, 04:01 PM
Wow. Too bad I already have RE5 reserved for my PS3, but I can see myself getting it for both systems. A lot of my friends that I want to play it with will be on Live, after all. Plus, I've been obsessed with red lately, so thanks. I'm certainly interested in that.
Well if I get a ps3 instead of a laptop in april, you'll have me to play RE5 with :smile: