PDA

View Full Version : This is mischief!

TalHex
Jan 26, 2009, 11:22 AM
[spoiler-box]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f278/katietiedrich/comic107.jpg[/spoiler-box]

fear the little ones!

Randomness
Jan 26, 2009, 11:28 AM
*Fox tears em up with Up+B*

Outrider
Jan 26, 2009, 12:25 PM
Man.

Awkward Zombie is a surprisingly great strip, if only for its amazing premise that all the Smash Bros characters are roommates in the same building.

Comedic gold.

Moo2u
Jan 26, 2009, 02:22 PM
I prefer Brawl in the family.

http://www.brawlinthefamily.com/Images/129-PeppyIsEverywhere.jpg

Outrider
Jan 26, 2009, 03:18 PM
I do prefer Brawl in the Family's title, even if it does a better job describing Awkward Zombie's Smash Bros. strips.

Tact
Jan 26, 2009, 03:20 PM
Mischief!? This is Smash Brothers! *tosses Fox down the stairs* :wacko:

Kard
Jan 26, 2009, 03:23 PM
Animal cruelty >:/

CrimsomWolf
Jan 26, 2009, 03:24 PM
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x283/Punkrocker_Paine/MegaTokyo/Megatokyowallpaper.jpg

Alnet
Jan 26, 2009, 05:57 PM
[spoiler-box]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e309/redangelalnet/MischiefMakers01.jpg[/spoiler-box]

HUnewearl_Meira
Jan 26, 2009, 06:14 PM
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e358/VanGarrett/petpetpets.gif

Shadowpawn
Jan 26, 2009, 06:50 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y222/Shadowpawn/Stuff%20that%20has%20other%20Stuff/petpetpetscart.gif

FOCL.

HUnewearl_Meira
Jan 26, 2009, 07:27 PM
There really isn't any contrasting White Ninja with Cartman. I'm sorry, there just isn't. Cartman is too damned consistent to be compared to White Ninja.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e358/VanGarrett/unibrow.gif

[spoiler-box]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e358/VanGarrett/sohungry.gif

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e358/VanGarrett/candlewind.gif

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e358/VanGarrett/sonstud.gif

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e358/VanGarrett/shoplifts.gif

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e358/VanGarrett/carrot.gif

I've not included any of the more disturbing strips.[/spoiler-box]

W0LB0T
Jan 26, 2009, 08:17 PM
WHATS WITH THE SHITTY WEB COMICS!!!

Moo2u
Jan 27, 2009, 03:06 AM
Dude!! It's White Ninja! He been around since the internet was in diapers! You show some respect!

Outrider
Jan 27, 2009, 11:37 AM
As much as I love White Ninja, I can't tell if the creators are geniuses or insane.

And yes, I accept that they may not be mutually exclusive.

(Of course the people here would be into Megatokyo! It makes so much sense!)

TalHex
Jan 27, 2009, 02:45 PM
i haven't read megatokyo in soo long...

Vanzazikon
Jan 27, 2009, 03:07 PM
What is megatokyo?

Tact
Jan 27, 2009, 03:21 PM
You can always look it up and find out. :wacko:

It's about Piro and Largo, two guys who get stuck in Japan. Piro knows Japanese, Largo does not.

HUnewearl_Meira
Jan 27, 2009, 03:34 PM
You can always look it up and find out. :wacko:

It's about Piro and Largo, two guys who get stuck in Japan. Piro knows Japanese, Largo does not knows 1337.

Fixed.

TalHex
Jan 27, 2009, 03:46 PM
Largo is also obsessed with overclocking computers, and often times makes things explode. there is also b33r involved

CrimsomWolf
Jan 27, 2009, 03:54 PM
Lets not forget Miho, the eeeevvvviiiilllll goth chick, the deadly PS2 accessory named "Ping", one aspiring voice actress and finally former (sarcastic) voice actress.

Oh yeah, there's Ninja too.

Outrider
Jan 27, 2009, 03:55 PM
It's basically the cross-over of Japanophiles and sort-of Technophiles.

It's not great.

CrimsomWolf
Jan 27, 2009, 03:57 PM
Is it just me, or are you extremely picky and annoying lately?

Just don't tell me that's because you're jealous of rikomaru....

Outrider
Jan 27, 2009, 04:58 PM
Is it just me, or are you extremely picky and annoying lately?

Just don't tell me that's because you're jealous of rikomaru....

Oh, don't worry, I've always been this enjoyable.

Also, apparently a lot of people in FKL like really terrible works, so it makes thing a lot easier for me.

TalHex
Jan 27, 2009, 05:14 PM
next thing you know, he is going to say its wrong to think KOS-MOS is hawt

CrimsomWolf
Jan 27, 2009, 05:24 PM
Oh, don't worry, I've always been this enjoyable.

Also, apparently a lot of people in FKL like really terrible works, so it makes thing a lot easier for me.

Ignore him Talon.

He'll die off. Eventually.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p204/AmatsuMomen/Anime/KOS-MOS-blank.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e131/Crystalpeach/8c51bd10.jpg

*Edit* He's just annoyed that we don't want to give up. It sounds like war of attrition.

Outrider
Jan 27, 2009, 05:38 PM
No, that's cool, but I am a little concerned about how much you guys like a poorly-designed generic JRPG with a terrible story.

But then again, I lived through everybody claiming Final Fantasy VII was the greatest thing since sliced bread, so I feel like a handful of Xenosaga fans isn't the worst thing in the world.

TalHex
Jan 27, 2009, 05:41 PM
i don't like FFVII... although i might just be biased because the bloody game keeps freezing in the exact same spot, no matter how many times i clean the disk...

CrimsomWolf
Jan 27, 2009, 05:42 PM
Concer noted but:

A.) We don't care.
B.) We'll like what we want to like.
I'm not quite a Xenosaga fan, but I admit I like KOS-MOS design.

Also, I just love those types who think that they're in one way or another above the crowd. We're all one way or another in it, as much as you can deny it.

I'm pretty much sure there's something that you like and others think it's crap.

Weeaboolits
Jan 27, 2009, 05:42 PM
have you tried removing the scratches?

Outrider
Jan 27, 2009, 06:15 PM
Also, I just love those types who think that they're in one way or another above the crowd. We're all one way or another in it, as much as you can deny it.

Yeah, I mean, I'm not sure where this whole David & Goliath complex is coming from, but sure, I can go with it if you'd like.

I'm pretty much sure there's something that you like and others think it's crap.

Oh GOD, don't get me started. I've had Final Fantasy VIII on my mind recently. I've actually been thinking about trying to track down one of the rare Triple Triad decks floating around on eBay.

Vanzazikon
Jan 27, 2009, 06:49 PM
@Crimsom: Well, we got to accept all kinds, whether it be Human, Kitsune, Robot, elves, etc. I don't mind Outrider's sarcastic/critical remarks, in fact some are even amusing. :wacko:

astuarlen
Jan 27, 2009, 06:49 PM
So I printed this thread, crossed out the word "mischief" in the title, and substituted "impudence". It felt real good.

Shadowpawn
Jan 27, 2009, 06:57 PM
Yeah, I mean, I'm not sure where this whole David & Goliath complex is coming from, but sure, I can go with it if you'd like.

Oh GOD, don't get me started. I've had Final Fantasy VIII on my mind recently. I've actually been thinking about trying to track down one of the rare Triple Triad decks floating around on eBay.

You like Triple Triad huh? Heard of this site (http://ttadvance.ca/)? Granted that one of the few things I liked about FF8, that and the whole military aspect (which eventually gave way to the forced romance Square shoved down gamers throats.)

Personally, I think FFXII was the best one made so far (despite me holding FFVII dear I have to admit both X's and XII's story blew VII out of the water.)

CrimsomWolf
Jan 28, 2009, 02:47 AM
I don't mind is arrogant remarks, I've heard worse.

I just felt that I need to at least try to piss off/annoy someone, as I didn't do so in a while.

Also, I appreciate the efforts to make my list of complexes that I have more detailed.
It'll be of value in future therapies. (though, it's unlikely. No mental instituation wants to take me in... :disapprove: )

TalHex
Jan 28, 2009, 07:26 AM
yes, I actually did enjoy FFXII, FFIX is kind of fun too but i'm having a hard time getting into it

personally i think rpgs by namco are better then anything square puts out

W0LB0T
Jan 28, 2009, 08:10 AM
Everyone knows that the best RPG is Barkley Shutup and Jam Gaiden.

Outrider
Jan 28, 2009, 01:21 PM
You like Triple Triad huh? Heard of this site (http://ttadvance.ca/)? Granted that one of the few things I liked about FF8, that and the whole military aspect (which eventually gave way to the forced romance Square shoved down gamers throats.)

Personally, I think FFXII was the best one made so far (despite me holding FFVII dear I have to admit both X's and XII's story blew VII out of the water.)

I have seen that site, but for me, I'd rather play Triple Triad with physical cards with a friend on the other side of the table. (BTW, I checked on eBay and the complete set is like $400 bucks, so... not gonna happen for me.)

I actually thought that Final Fantasy VII had a much better storyline than a lot of people gave it credit for. Yeah, the love story between Squall and Rinoa had some awkward parts, but certainly no worse than Tidus and Yuna's "fake laughing" scene. They were going for a love story between an obnoxious loner and an extrovert. Of course there's gonna be some rough patches to the character interaction. I'd say the biggest problem with FFVII's story is all the weird stuff towards the end like, "We grew up together but forgot it because we used Guardian Forces and now we have to fight some all-powerful evil we never met but she's compressed all time into a single moment so now we can fight her." (On the other hand, I loved Ultimecia's castle - it was a really great final dungeon. Definitely ranks up there with Kefka's dungeon and your three-team assault on it in FFVI.)

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed FFXII, but FFX never did anything for me. It just seemed like they were just running through a checklist when designing the game (it doesn't help that the majority of the main characters are basically palette swaps of the FFVIII cast...) I thought it felt very similar to Final Fantasy VII in it's design, actually.

I also enjoyed FFXII's story, but much more for the world and the characters and not so much for the main story arc. My problem is that I felt like the story ended before there was any real climax - it was like they ended the game when you were only about 70% through the story. Of course, I spent 100 or so hours on that game, so it's probably for the best that I didn't dedicate any more time to it.

yes, I actually did enjoy FFXII, FFIX is kind of fun too but i'm having a hard time getting into it

personally i think rpgs by namco are better then anything square puts out

FFIX is actually a lot of fun, but the 4th disc is just insane and completely veers off from anything else you did in the first 3 discs. It's really like they completely forgot what was going on when writing out the story for disc 4.

Everyone knows that the best RPG is Barkley Shutup and Jam Gaiden.

Absolutely true.

TalHex
Jan 28, 2009, 03:30 PM
only problem with xenosaga, especially episode I is that it is linear... I mean really linear, probably even more so then FFX. It's a pity they stopped development on episode 4 and 5...

Kard
Jan 28, 2009, 05:09 PM
You forget Xenosaga's complete lack of challenge. Most games of this generation fall into that category, but Xenosaga was almost auto-pilot from start to finish.

TalHex
Jan 28, 2009, 07:48 PM
hmmm... i wouldn't say auto pilot, it had its share of challenging battles.

Vanzazikon
Jan 28, 2009, 07:53 PM
You forget Xenosaga's complete lack of challenge. Most games of this generation fall into that category, but Xenosaga was almost auto-pilot from start to finish.That's because you're too pro, Kard. :wacko:

Weeaboolits
Jan 28, 2009, 08:01 PM
I got your lack of challenge right here:

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w8/Ronin_Cooper/Animu/Madou/581924_22182_front.jpg

Kard
Jan 28, 2009, 08:19 PM
That's because you're too pro, Kard. :wacko:
Man I really wish I was just being an asshole there and implying that, but seriously, with games being more for casuals these days, it's getting difficult to not be somewhat jaded about these things.

TalHex
Jan 28, 2009, 09:09 PM
yeah, a lot of games are getting as easy as hell

Outrider
Jan 29, 2009, 01:07 AM
Personally, I prefer RPGs to not be frustratingly difficult. I'm in it for the storytelling, mostly.

It's crap like the 3-hour long secret boss fight in FFXII or the "dodge-lightning-255-times-in-a-row-to-unlock" secret weapon from FFX that really bugs me.

Kard
Jan 29, 2009, 10:51 AM
It's crap like the 3-hour long secret boss fight in FFXII or the "dodge-lightning-255-times-in-a-row-to-unlock" secret weapon from FFX that really bugs me.
I can do without shit like that, too. Unfortunately my brain seems convinced that I must do everything, so I end up doing it anyway. If I skip such events, I just feel as though the game is incomplete, and it turns into a "the one that got away!" type deals.

I tend to be offense-heavy and take little caution in RPGs, because well-tuned physical attacks are usually so brutal that most enemies can be bullied to death before anything interesting happens. Not to mention that being able to stock up on 36836548764 potions of all kinds gives players that get-out-of-jail-free feeling in many cases.

On another random note, whatever happened to spells being the ultimate offense? I've played exactly 40 RPGs - not the biggest number, but in almost every situation, especially end-game it's better to just use strong, quick, multi-hit attacks, and leave the spell-casters at home for being inefficient. >0

Weeaboolits
Jan 29, 2009, 11:18 AM
Unless you come across something with high or impenetrable physical defenses.

Kard
Jan 29, 2009, 11:47 AM
That doesn't happen often enough to really make physical resistance a big deal. If it were D2-style physical immunity, however...

Though that would only add frustration to a single-player, console RPG experience, I suppose.

Tact
Jan 29, 2009, 04:36 PM
That doesn't happen often enough to really make physical resistance a big deal. If it were D2-style physical immunity, however...

Though that would only add frustration to a single-player, console RPG experience, I suppose.

Go play Etrian Odyssey with that kind of physical-oriented party. You'll be pleasantly (not-so-pleasantly?) surprised by the enemies you find that will reduce all physical damage down to single digits.

Kard
Jan 29, 2009, 04:54 PM
Ah. I love the artwork for that game. Too bad I have a thing against handhelds. Not a fan of 1st person games either, and have never understood the lure of 1st person RPGs.

In case you were thinking so, I've never doubted that there are many more balanced battle systems out there: I just haven't encountered many of them myself, and always wondered why so many RPGs manage to follow such a melee-heavy favor pattern.

Outrider
Jan 29, 2009, 05:05 PM
It's funny - I actually remember thinking how bizarre it was when I first saw somebody playing Diablo 2 and all they were doing was casting spells. I thought it was blasphemy that my brother had completely removed the Attack button from his controls and replaced it with a quick-spell button. I just wasn't use to that from any RPG I had seen.

Although, I will say - in FFVI, you can definitely mess people up with magic. Give Terra the Equalizer and the Gem Box and let her fly with Ultima over and over again. It's pretty awesome.

TalHex
Jan 29, 2009, 05:36 PM
persona 3, you cannot win survive that game without spells

Kard
Jan 29, 2009, 05:38 PM
It's funny - I actually remember thinking how bizarre it was when I first saw somebody playing Diablo 2 and all they were doing was casting spells. I thought it was blasphemy that my brother had completely removed the Attack button from his controls and replaced it with a quick-spell button. I just wasn't use to that from any RPG I had seen.
Yeah I love that about D2, or just about any RPG where characters are a lot more specialized and have a decidedly unique class. A sorceress in D2 could equip herself for melee as well, and while it might not perform as efficiently as a well-made real melee class like a barbarian or paladin, a good player with the right gear could still make such a build very competent. Each class or character has its own strength, and anytime an overlap occurs, it's not enough to make any class or character redundant. I like that.

I used to love games like FF7 or 8 where you could essentially make every character identical, thanks to mechanics like materia and spell junctioning... But then for me it always came down to the characters with the most damaging limits (or just plain useful like Great Gospel or Mighty Guard or something) and I'd always just choose those. I was unplesantly surprised to find that FFXII's license board was just another opportunity to make identical characters again, as was X's sphere grid, though that did have some temporary restrictions. There's always a "best" and "worst" way to customize characters with systems like these, and they can promote cookie-cutter conformity just as easily as diversity.

Although, I will say - in FFVI, you can definitely mess people up with magic. Give Terra the Equalizer and the Gem Box and let her fly with Ultima over and over again. It's pretty awesome.
That's very true. I miss that kind of thing - though against single targets you could still use normals, which move faster and take no resources to use and own things up all the same. I've never understood how a mere sword could outpower a pillar of flame, an explosion of pure energy, or an esper deity for that matter...

Tact
Jan 29, 2009, 05:45 PM
persona 3, you cannot win survive that game without spells

Personas 3 and 4 are also good examples of how a physically-oriented party can't go far. Spells often do more damage than the physical skills. Not only that, but all of the physical skills cost you HP to use.

Most of the enemies are weak to some kind of spell, too. Don't expect to have many easy knock-down, All-Out Attack fights by using only physical attacks.

Outrider
Jan 29, 2009, 06:20 PM
I used to love games like FF7 or 8 where you could essentially make every character identical, thanks to mechanics like materia and spell junctioning... But then for me it always came down to the characters with the most damaging limits (or just plain useful like Great Gospel or Mighty Guard or something) and I'd always just choose those. I was unplesantly surprised to find that FFXII's license board was just another opportunity to make identical characters again, as was X's sphere grid, though that did have some temporary restrictions. There's always a "best" and "worst" way to customize characters with systems like these, and they can promote cookie-cutter conformity just as easily as diversity.

It's funny - I hated that about FFVII and FFVIII. I felt that the characters were no longer unique from a gameplay perspective aside from their limit breaks. I love the way FFVI works, in which everybody has their own unique role, but you can supplement that with whatever spells you want to teach them. (I also loved FFIV and FFIX's clearly defined characters with very little crossover - but that's an entirely different creature.)

With FFX, I feel like they sort of combined the two, in that generally you'll specialize with your character down one of the unique paths for the first half of the game only to begin crossing over into the other paths as you get to higher levels. Still - I didn't care for it. My characters still felt too generic and uniform.

With all that said, for some unexplainable reason, I loved the ability side of FFXII's license board. Yes, every character was essentially a blank slate. Yes, you could wind up with every character having the exact same ability set (which I did). I just have no idea why I enjoyed it so much. I think it was the fact that there were so many "classes" that you could cover with FFXII's system. There were a dozen or so weapon types, plenty of useful abilities, multiple magic paths - it all reminded me very much of mixing and matching abilities in Final Fantasy Tactics, which is the only reason I can think of as to why I enjoyed the License Board so much.

Personas 3 and 4 are also good examples of how a physically-oriented party can't go far. Spells often do more damage than the physical skills. Not only that, but all of the physical skills cost you HP to use.

Most of the enemies are weak to some kind of spell, too. Don't expect to have many easy knock-down, All-Out Attack fights by using only physical attacks.

Y'know, despite the fact that Persona seems like everything I hate about JRPGs, I've decided that I'm going to have to give the series a shot. Persona 4 simply got so many good reviews from sources that I really respect, and everything I've read about the world, characters & themes just seems like it's a really well-done piece of work. It certainly doesn't hurt that it's got a modern day school setting - for years I've been going on and on about how both modern day settings and school settings would make for great games.

So, one of these days, when I've got time open in my schedule for an RPG, I'll have to go pick up Persona 4. I really hope this is like Beyond Good & Evil (a game I wasn't crazy about at first that turned out to be amazing) and less like Xenosaga or Jak II (two games I was pretty interested in that fell flat on their faces.)

TalHex
Jan 29, 2009, 07:15 PM
let me guess you either stopped at the beginning of xenosaga or at episode 2 right?

yeah, persona is pretty good if anything its just fun to run around and explore the tower. Anyways i haven't played 4 but 3 is pretty damn good, and i've heard that 4 is even better

Wyndham
Jan 29, 2009, 07:20 PM
SOUP!
>_>

Kard
Jan 29, 2009, 07:45 PM
This is Miss Chief!
[spoiler-box]
http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/3752/misschief2go.jpg
[/spoiler-box]

Outrider
Jan 29, 2009, 10:32 PM
let me guess you either stopped at the beginning of xenosaga or at episode 2 right?

Played a couple hours and watched another couple past that in the first one. I saw nothing worthwhile there.

I then went online and looked up everything I could about it. Read the story, looked into the characters. Still saw nothing worthwhile there.

I recently decided to look into the two sequels and see if there was anything that might make it worth jumping back in. I still saw nothing worthwhile, and I was actually embarrassed at how hackneyed the plot gets in the later games. I'm sorry, but the vast majority of JRPGs that try to tackle philosophy and religion in any way are just... sloppy. For example, Xenosaga has a character that is the reincarnation of Mary Magdalene. Let me just repeat that again for those in the back: ONE OF THE CHARACTERS IN THIS SCI-FI RPG IS A FUTURISTIC REINCARNATION OF MARY MAGDALENE DESIGNED TO DESTROY PEOPLE WHO HAVE GROWN UNHAPPY WITH HUMANITY AND HAVE THUS BECOME SPACE ALIENS. I mean... that's just... bad.

On the plus side, it was only $20 - it could've been much worse. (Ah, Phantasy Star Online Episode III and Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles - my favorite examples of why you shouldn't immediately buy games at full price...)

TalHex
Jan 29, 2009, 10:41 PM
meh, i don't care, i still think it has one of the better stories out there

Outrider
Jan 29, 2009, 11:36 PM
It has an evil MORALLY AMBIGUOUS cyborg named chaos.

That's not a typo. His name isn't supposed to be capitalized.

astuarlen
Jan 30, 2009, 12:19 AM
It has an evil MORALLY AMBIGUOUS cyborg named chaos.

That's not a typo. His name isn't supposed to be capitalized.

It represents his daring disregard for the standards of Good English Capitalization.
Quite a scandal--it was all over the dailies.