PDA

View Full Version : II've never imported a game before....

Dark Hunter
Jan 26, 2009, 09:59 PM
I have a few questions. About how much do you guys think it will cost me USD total with tax and S&H to import the game from Japan to California?

Also, recommend me any trusted websites?

_Vyser_
Jan 26, 2009, 10:14 PM
http://www.yesasia.com/us/phantasy-star-zero-japan-version/1012059629-0-0-0-en/info.html This is a very trust-worthy website. I've ordered many things from them without any problems.

Valvalion
Jan 26, 2009, 10:15 PM
http://www.play-asia.com for me.

_Vyser_
Jan 26, 2009, 10:27 PM
How fast did play-asia ship your copy? The only difference I can tell between the two sites is that yesasia is about $4 cheaper (no shipping if I remember correctly).

deso123
Jan 26, 2009, 10:34 PM
I have a few questions. About how much do you guys think it will cost me USD total with tax and S&H to import the game from Japan to California?

Also, recommend me any trusted websites?

Would you listen to me if I told you that the game isn't worth importing?

_Vyser_
Jan 26, 2009, 10:51 PM
Some people don't like this game, while others do. I just hope you've done your research before buying this. Would suck if you end up being part of the group that doesn't like this game, because that would've been a waste of money. I, for one, like this game. My opinion shouldn't decide for you if you want to buy this game or not.

Dark Hunter
Jan 26, 2009, 11:30 PM
I've done my research for the most part, and I'm going to assume that since I hated PSU and loved PSO, that I'm going to at least like this game.

Agree? Disagree?

the_importer_
Jan 26, 2009, 11:37 PM
I've done my research for the most part, and I'm going to assume that since I hated PSU and loved PSO, that I'm going to at least like this game.

Agree? Disagree?

Same here, I regret importing PSU when it came, especially since it was the PC which had NO resale value on eBay >_>

psofan219
Jan 26, 2009, 11:45 PM
This very question was what kept me from importing the game: the fear if I would like it or not. I've never imported anything either, and it's nice to know two trustworthy sites should I decide to in the future. Played a little PSU, didn't catch much interest in me. Battle system was way too awkward for me... couldn't figure out the timing. I've heard that some things from PSU are in PSZ... I'm glad it's not the battle system (at least this is what I've heard). If I'm wrong about this, please do correct me.

the_importer_
Jan 26, 2009, 11:51 PM
This very question was what kept me from importing the game: the fear if I would like it or not. I've never imported anything either, and it's nice to know two trustworthy sites should I decide to in the future. Played a little PSU, didn't catch much interest in me. Battle system was way too awkward for me... couldn't figure out the timing. I've heard that some things from PSU are in PSZ... I'm glad it's not the battle system (at least this is what I've heard). If I'm wrong about this, please do correct me.

Well the fact that you can feed almost anything to your Mag is similar to feeding anything to your PM in PSU.

You also have shared banks like in PSU.

deso123
Jan 27, 2009, 12:17 AM
I love the "new" things but I dislike all of the things that count:
The level design is like PSP/PSU
The enemies behave like PSP/PSU
the weapons are not nearly as interesting and fun to use.

I love the mags, techniques, charging up attacks, dodging, some of the character classes, pictochat, quickmatching system. It doesnt make up for the big main three PSU elements stated above. Those elements are what made PSU suck. Boring enemies, level design, and weapons. It really is a nightmare. I'm glad I tried it because I woulda probably always wondered about it but now that I have I'm probably gonna play it a little bit more before considering selling all the stuff I bought to play it as well as maybe some other junk I got sitting around collecting dust.

_Vyser_
Jan 27, 2009, 12:53 AM
aside from what deso said, the only PSU-esque things I noticed were:

-parts of some of the skill pas are on some weapons, but they might include a slightly different animation (seeing as you only do one attack, instead of 2-3).
-Feeding your mag is just like feeding your PM, except it's useful, like in PSO.
-there's a common box to easily transfer items between characters.

The game is based heavily off of PSO from what I've noticed. They must've realized that not much in PSU was better than what was in PSO. I never really looked at the level design, because I was too busy killing things and looking for rares. If you loved PSO, chances are you might enjoy this one. It gets pretty hard on Super Hard at times :O

Dark Hunter
Jan 27, 2009, 09:16 AM
Hm, let's face it.
When it came to level design, PSO wasn't exactly the best. It wasn't bad, but it was nothing to write home about.

As for monsters, I don't remember exactly how they behaved in PSU....

As for weapons, from all of the screenshots I've seen, they look interesting. But maybe not. Guess I'll have to play the game to find out.

Amherst_Wind
Jan 27, 2009, 09:38 AM
The weapons are interesting, especially compared to the rubbish weapons from PSU.

I loved PSO, didnt like PSU and I like PS Zero. I dont love it as much as PSO, but its definately the best Phantasy Star game Ive played since I quit Blue Burst.
Well that isnt entirely true... I liked PS Portable a lot because that changed a lot of things from PSU so...

Dark Hunter
Jan 27, 2009, 11:14 AM
I love PSO. I didn’t like PSU so much. The things I enjoyed about PSO were the different mags, weapon collecting, and I guess just the overall feel of the game. How does the character customization compare to PSOBB?

Really what attracts me to PSZ is its free online, and portability. Plus the fact that it’s a new PSO based game. So after reading all of this, in YOUR opinion, is PSZ worth importing for me? Is it worth the money? I can deal with a bit of change…just so long as I get the nostalgic feeling of PSO.

Callous
Jan 27, 2009, 12:27 PM

Agree? Disagree?
Like you, I hate PSU and love PSO. I like PSZ, but it's far from being PSO. The main thing holding it back is actually the format. Done on proper hardware and with some additions, PSZ could have a shot at being something akin to a PSO2.

Anyway, I like it, it's portable and I'm sure you'll at least get 50 hours or so out of the game. Probably a lot more.

deso123
Jan 27, 2009, 12:30 PM
Some character classes are hardly ever used while others are pretty overused so I may actually make some new characters just to add more diversity. Every other match I see a character that looks exactly like one of my own characters just with a different mag and weapon equipped.

One thing I've found annoying is there's hardly any blue boxes so It's hard to level up def on mags since I can't really tell the green boxes apart or tried feeding them to my mag very much as they don't seem to do much to the mag. Maybe I'm doing something wrong there, lol.

For level design you're not gonna see levels like the Mines in PSO with crazy moving textures all over the floors and walls. You're gonna see pretty standard textures that look like any other RPG. It's very bland. there's no distinct level designs that really make the levels stand out from each other which even PSO had.

The monsters don't have unique characteristics for the most part. You'll see the same enemies in every level but with a different model and texture. Some may have one unique special attack like charging you. It's pretty halfassed. You're not gonna see enemies drop from the walls and pull out sabers as they punch you or clone themselves and heal each other or laser lock you or fall to the ground when you shoot them or fall over in mass when attacking with a spread weapon. They aren't gonna circle you or cast many spells on you or any of that good stuff. Do you know what I'm trying to say? They didn't try to make each enemy really complex or unique from the other monsters.

The weapons are like mini weapons. You're not gonna have a 5 shot spread that can rape a room, You're gonna have a little shotgun that shoots a three shot spread for example. And the range and radius isn't even very good nor can you shoot it 3 times one after another which is really lame. All the weapons basically have limitations like this.

The characters themselves are done well though. They have techniques, can dodge, lock on to enemies, have mags, all the equipping features of PSO, etc... But the big thing is why would you want to devote the time leveling your character in such a halfassed environment? unless you're often trapped in waiting rooms and mass transit there are better ways to spend your time on more fulfilling games. Don't sit in your room playing this when you got a very powerful computer right beside you that has much better options.

It's a cool little novelty though if you got spare change to waste but it will probably get old very fast.

k. i think i said everything i wanted to say ever about this game now, lol.

fixed most of the typos.

Dark Hunter
Jan 27, 2009, 01:01 PM
Thank you for the detailed explanation!

I think that I'll hold out on importing it for 60 bucks, and just buying it when it comes out stateside in october for 35.

Once again, thanks. :]

_Vyser_
Jan 27, 2009, 01:31 PM
Probably a good choice then. As for me, I love collecting stuff, so this is keeping me quite busy. If you agree with what deso said (he did an amazing job summing it up), then wait for the US release. Probably be good if you don't know any Japanese as well. This game is really easy to follow only knowing Hiragana, Katakana and some Kanji, but the people who can't seem to not be enjoying it nearly as much as some of those who can read Japanese. Well, hope to see ya when the US version is out :D

Callous
Jan 27, 2009, 01:54 PM
Deso, thank you for being pretty spot on with every single description you've made. I agree with all of it.

One positive thing I think you fail to mention, though, is the bosses. The dragon, the octopus and especially Falz are really good bosses. They may not be up to par with the brilliance of the PSO bosses, but they are a damn sight better than the utter and complete trash that was the bosses in PSU.

But yes, enemy and level design on a whole is uninspired, with enemies especially seemingly designed to annoy rather than to entertain - just like in PSU. Level design does have more PSO to it than PSU did, especially Eternal Tower, but yeah, it's still not quite good enough.

I said earlier that I like the game, and I do as a DS game, but I certainly won't be playing this in 8 years. I still play PSO. I'm hoping for the next generation of handhelds to be able to emulate Xbox or GC with custom firmware. Then finally PSO in portable form will be mine.

Dark Hunter
Jan 27, 2009, 02:11 PM
After reading the questions and answers thread on a few pages back, I've got to say that I'm REALLY REALLY tempted to import the game again. I know that I probably shouldn't, but I THINK that I just might. 60 bucks seems a bit pricey for such a game, but I think I can handle it. I just really want to play a new PS game, after PSU was such a disappointment to me.

I understand now that PSZ isn't PSO. But the way I see things, at least it isn't PSU either. ;) Plus the portability of the game really attracts me.

If anyone knows a place where I can get it for less than 60 bucks besides eBay, then please let me know. Otherwise, it's time to whip out the credit card and hit up yesasia.....

deso123
Jan 27, 2009, 02:22 PM
what ive decided to do is delete 2 of my chars and just get my racaseal to level 100 and get a soniti mag. then play every once and a while and wait til the 30 dollar english version comes out but thats only because i foolishly quit psobb

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16142

_Vyser_
Jan 27, 2009, 03:25 PM
So that's where you get flashcarts. I've never used one, but I've heard some pretty good things about them.

Amherst_Wind
Jan 27, 2009, 06:13 PM
You should import it, PS Zero is a great game, I'd have to argue with a few of deso123's points but, going on his general opinion of the game, I doubt I'll change his mind anyway so I wont bother. I guess you could download the ROM but then thats probably one of the reasons this game bombed so hard, DS piracy is insanely easy and widespread... If you would like to see an improved PS Zero sequel you should probably buy it.

Dark Hunter
Jan 27, 2009, 09:36 PM
A friend recommended a flashcart to me.
I'd prefer to buy it, in hopes of contributing to getting them to make another PSO game. Like the above mentioned.

_Vyser_
Jan 27, 2009, 10:51 PM
A friend recommended a flashcart to me.
I'd prefer to buy it, in hopes of contributing to getting them to make another PSO game. Like the above mentioned.

YES! Thank you. It's nice to download roms because of it being free, but I'd much rather support games/companies I like. It's nice to see I'm not the only one who is willing to do that.

It is a shame though, I wonder how many sales PSZ would've gotten without Flashcarts. I recall hearing Flashcarts becoming illegal in Japan, so hopefully this might help with the sales of some games. *shrugs*

Dark Hunter
Jan 28, 2009, 12:15 AM
Did PSZ really do that badly in Japan?

_Vyser_
Jan 28, 2009, 12:30 AM
I hear it's not doing so well on the charts.

Bassz
Jan 28, 2009, 02:42 AM
YES! Thank you. It's nice to download roms because of it being free, but I'd much rather support games/companies I like. It's nice to see I'm not the only one who is willing to do that.

It is a shame though, I wonder how many sales PSZ would've gotten without Flashcarts. I recall hearing Flashcarts becoming illegal in Japan, so hopefully this might help with the sales of some games. *shrugs*

I have some friends from Japan, and have heard that flashcarts are sold in stores rather than online purchase.

_Vyser_
Jan 28, 2009, 03:14 AM
I have some friends from Japan, and have heard that flashcarts are sold in stores rather than online purchase.

Yeah, I've heard that as well. My friend told me the other day that there is an attempt to outlaw flashcarts in Japan. Doesn't look like it's working according to your report.