PDA

View Full Version : So what game do you think was better?

Phazor
Jan 30, 2009, 02:32 AM
Simple question, which game do you think was better, PSO or PSU?

I personally find PSU falling short of PSO, and freaquently go back to it. Just wondering what the rest of the community thinks.

Please refrain from any flaming or trolling through this thread. Both games are good in their own respects and should be acknowledged with this in mind. It is not my intention to spur big arguments or anything through this thread.

W0LB0T
Jan 30, 2009, 02:36 AM
This will end badly

cApNhOwDy
Jan 30, 2009, 02:37 AM
Most definately PSO for me.

Bomber The Cosmonaut
Jan 30, 2009, 02:39 AM
This will end badly

Pretty much.

ChronoTrigga
Jan 30, 2009, 02:42 AM
Final Fantasy XI

Mike
Jan 30, 2009, 02:49 AM
I predicted the post count of the T.C. before even looking.
Ah well, enjoy them both is my philosophy.

Phazor
Jan 30, 2009, 02:51 AM
Would have left it as a poll but I couldn't seem to find the feature on the site. But a simple question shouldn't be taken out of hand.

Nicodareus
Jan 30, 2009, 02:59 AM
PSU~ But PSU is just a sup'ed up PSO clone to me. So it really doesn't make a difference. Just a continuation of the same game in my opinion.

D1ABOLIK
Jan 30, 2009, 03:02 AM
Would have left it as a poll but I couldn't seem to find the feature on the site. But a simple question shouldn't be taken out of hand. Yet this question always is. Oh well, before the flaming starts - PSO.

Kion
Jan 30, 2009, 03:34 AM
can we have a pso vs psu sticky? i dont see this debate ending anytime... ever.

Vent
Jan 30, 2009, 03:45 AM

Just like many other debates in this world...

PSO

Actually, I think you're much better off only asking the players who've played both. Since there are new people who've just joined up Phantasy Star with PSU. If they've only PSU, there's no way there vote is a good reflection of the reality. Of course, this is in favor of PSO. :-P

Arika
Jan 30, 2009, 03:49 AM
this thread might go into flame war soon enough

Vent
Jan 30, 2009, 03:50 AM
Don't push towards it. <_< If it's that common sense that it will happen, there's no need to state it that many times already.

Silvx
Jan 30, 2009, 03:54 AM
I've only played PSU so I can't say.

Arika-chan, May I ask what clothes your character is wearing in your avatar?

Darklighter
Jan 30, 2009, 04:14 AM
At first it was PSO by a wide margin. Now though I like them about the same really. There is stuff I like better in PSO but there is also stuff I like better in PSU.

Nicodareus
Jan 30, 2009, 04:20 AM

Seconded.

Nicodareus
Jan 30, 2009, 04:21 AM
Just like many other debates in this world...

PSO

Actually, I think you're much better off only asking the players who've played both. Since there are new people who've just joined up Phantasy Star with PSU. If they've only PSU, there's no way there vote is a good reflection of the reality. Of course, this is in favor of PSO. :-P

I think that's the only people he -was- asking. Ehe. You can't really control who's going to respond to the poll, but.. Your average person isn't going to vote one way or the other if they've not played both.

Snake Jutsu
Jan 30, 2009, 04:52 AM
psu here

Kion
Jan 30, 2009, 05:14 AM
What really held psu back was content updates... or lack of them. Psu has finally come into its own and is a really good game. What every one was expecting upon release was a pso exspanded. everyone was let down with level caps and ragon-runs when there should have been alot more access to the disk to start out with. pso was a great well balanced game that allowed everyone to play and search to their hearts content.

i`d rank them jp psu > pso > na psu. now this is flame bait

darkante
Jan 30, 2009, 05:17 AM
Atm, i feel PSU is more fun. When stuff actually comes to place (events with twists, new missions, people actually around) itīs hard to go back to PSO.
I love PSO, but thatīs that.
Guess i still vote for both as things starts to look better for PSU.

xBladeM6x
Jan 30, 2009, 06:11 AM
You are comparing a completely finished game with all their updates, compared to a game that has yet to get like 60% of the content said. Wait until they say "Well there is no more content." Then you can make a valid argument.

On topic though, At the point that PSU is at right now, I like PSU a lot more. The only thing that I think I like more about PSO is the fact that there was better music and that the game had a more mystic feel to it, and that the bosses had more of a unique/creative attack they could do.

Karazykid
Jan 30, 2009, 07:41 AM
PSO had better more bosses you could fight, instead of just 3 and a bunch of reskins.

I also kinda liked hunting for rares better in PSO. Here, I can get almost anything I want by level 50 with a little work in the marketplace. At least in PSO stuff had really high requirements so I felt more like I need to level up and feed my mag to get my Chainsawd. It's slightly depressing having the best gear at 60, then spending the rest of the game just trying for better %s. PSO also seems like it had more rare items. PSU probably does, but only because of all the Kubara garbage reskins. Though at least most of the rares in PSU are useful. No matter how ya slice it, Blade Dance is just a craptastic weapon.

But as far as gameplay goes, PSU wins by a mile. Skills and JA are far more fun then attack, heavy attack, heavy attack. And forces get much cooler looking spells too (recent tech nerf notwithstanding). Plus it's not really fair comparison, but there's at least still events for PSU so that's something to do.

PSU also has a little more variety in the missions, or at least feels that way. Now of course you can spam White Beast all day, but people just spammed Towards The Future in PSO but if you're doing other missions it just feels like PSU has more to offer.

Besides, you'll never get a fair answer to this question anyway. Most of us started with PSO and sorta grew up with that. "Why, back in my day all yeh needed was a Charge Vulcan And we walked 15 miles in the snow, uphill both ways to get em, and we were happy teh see it! Not like you whippersnappers and yer gosh durn Anga Jaboogers. "

Zantra
Jan 30, 2009, 07:50 AM
Again... really? How many times is this going to be asked? Pso gets my vote... again.

Barker5227
Jan 30, 2009, 07:58 AM
Omfg, PSO X1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000

PSU blows in comparison!!!!!!!

ashley50
Jan 30, 2009, 09:12 AM
PSU for me as I didn't enjoy PSO when i played it...

Calsetes
Jan 30, 2009, 09:22 AM
I prefer Universe as opposed to Online, only because I like the fact that they have skills for melee weapons, bullets for guns, your spells level as you use them, etc. Online was good, but to me the system they use in Universe feels like a further refinement to it.

Both games are good in their own respects, but to me it is a bit like going from Diablo 1 to Diablo 2, it's the same basic thing, just with a few new features and some extra polish that makes it a bit better overall.

Plus the story mode is a bit more engaging than in Online, in my opinion. In Universe, the other characters talk to your character, and get you engaged a bit more than a quick thing at the beginning saying "We want you to investigate person X's disappearance," then reading a bunch of holodisks scattered along the way.

Mike
Jan 30, 2009, 09:23 AM
PSO had better more bosses you could fight, instead of just 3 and a bunch of reskins.

WHAAAAAT? PSO was full of reskins. Not quite as many as PSU though.

Noblewine
Jan 30, 2009, 12:17 PM
I prefer PSU its simple and time consuming.

majan
Jan 30, 2009, 01:17 PM
hey,maybe if another 373 people come in and forewarn about the flame war,it'll actually happen! who'd a thunk that 28 posts would go by,at least half of them being "here comes the flaming," without a single idiotic post?

anyway, I think I'm going to have to side with PSU, but things hold me back from wholeheartedly supporting it. as someone said up there, JP PSU is indeed superior, but that's only because the japanese actually maintain their shit. the NA people are lazy, malignant cunts and fuck up just about everything,literally. often I have found myself asking why I pay these people 10 dollars a month.

the main thing I like about PSU better than PSO is that PSO was totally awesome,don't get me wrong...I spent lots of time enjoying that game inside and out.but.....it...was...just......soo.....fucking.. ...monotonous. when you can plan how fast youll go through a mission because you know exactly how much damage youll be doing to every single monster,there's a slight problem with that,I think. PSU is also pretty monotonous sometimes, but at least theres some variance on your screen! at least you actually gain significant power when you level up! at least you have a fair chance at getting rares! also, the player shops in my opinion kick total ass. I will definitely say that the reskins suck ass,though.

now like I said, the only thing that keeps me from saying absolutely PSU wins is the fact that we don't all play on the JP servers,and I'm sure that if we got the same treatment as they do over there you all would be singing a different song about this game too.

Rei Ichigoro
Jan 30, 2009, 02:02 PM
I believe that psu could be the best but as most of you know at least for the American servers Sega seems to not want to give us our updates I mean really we were supposed to get the carnival in like November its almost Feb and we just got it

RAGNAGELPPOD
Jan 30, 2009, 02:17 PM
I like them both about the same. However, i liked pso ep 3 ( the card one ) better than both of these. I think its because I started with the card one so when I finally got to play pso ep 1/2, I was all like " wheres the cards? this game is missing cards!? this game is inferior!"

MadDogg
Jan 30, 2009, 02:22 PM
PSU. I've played pso since the version 1 days, but after using the photon arts system of psu, its hard to go back to the old, weak>hard>hard, weak>weak>hard, or weak>weak>special combos of weapons on pso and lets face it, if you had 50 hit charge vulcans from the store, who needed rares lol. Main reason why i also can't get into phantasy star zero, all psu needs is constant updates to catch up the pso's greatness.

Cracka_J
Jan 30, 2009, 02:23 PM
PSU is a vast improvement over PSO.
Segac is a complete failure compared to Sega.

The winner?...whoever posts in this thread and doesn't get flamed.

Darius_Drake
Jan 30, 2009, 02:48 PM
I would have to say PSU with the Just Attacks and Skills and Bullets. The game just seems more varied. I no longer have to worry about my equipped stuff dropping if I die and it seems that player killing is no longer something to worry about. Still PSO was awesome. I loved having my mag by my side and being able to use it when it was all charged up. I loved combining my mag attack with friends to create a new and improved mag attack. I actually found and raised mags. I loved the rare system better in PSO. Your class which was based on a color would determine what rares you could find and so you actually needed to trade with others to get what you wanted at times. At the same time I do love the store options that PSU has. I love both, but in some ways I think I look at PSO more lovingly at times due to the fact it was the first time I was introduced to this type of gaming. It was the first time I went through the world to fight all three forms of Dark Falz. It was the first time I played soccer in one of the lobbies. It was the first time I went through the missions with others online. (**smiles**) It was also the first time I noticed some people went straight for the boxes while we were fighting monsters. Most of the time when I look back to PSO it is mostly about all of the good and when thinking about PSU it is about how ST screwed us recently. The thing is after thinking about it long and hard PSU is pretty much PSO with many improvements to it. ST did screw up in a few instances and took away a few things they should have kept, but in the end the made many more improvements overall.

We should definitely go back to the PSO way of grinding things. This new way truly sucks.

Seira7
Jan 30, 2009, 05:54 PM
I preferred PSO - I still play it - but in PSU I can give my character a huge rack without her getting a wide load. LOL, remember how big a Huneys ass would grow if you made them stacked... also PSU has better clothes/outfits. I still think they should bring back mags (and make lots of useful photon blasts) and have rare weapons drop at a higher elemental percent. I prefer to hunt things rather that synth... Also I miss having nicer/more epic music...but I just play my own. Meh, I better stop now...its better not to compare the two too much, or youll give people headaches :p

Karazykid
Jan 30, 2009, 06:21 PM
If they could just give us mags, then maybe increase all mobs stats by like 7-10% to account for our improved strength, it'd be way more fun.

Also, more rares and less of this synthing crap. Or maybe make it so we can find lots of stuff but only find neutral element.

GreenArcher
Jan 30, 2009, 06:54 PM
The crafting system in this game is such a load of crap. I thought it was so cool for the first week until I realized how...overly simple it was. Maybe if they had a few more variables on the finished product, a crafting system would be justified. But with the way it is, there's no reason to have one. All items should just drop made with a random percent/element.

Yusaku_Kudou
Jan 30, 2009, 07:17 PM
PSO, but I've moved on. Should they ever release Blue Burst on XBLA, however...

Shinko
Jan 30, 2009, 07:26 PM
PSU

I never understand why ppl say pso was better in the 1st place. Weapons was the only thing better to me. But to each his own huh?

We should definitely go back to the PSO way of grinding things. This new way truly sucks.

Oh and i agree with this too xD

RemiusTA
Jan 30, 2009, 07:46 PM
Which game has more depth and potental? Psu.

Which is a better GAME (as in, the all around picture)? DEFINATELY Pso.

PSO obviously had the amount of directing and feeling put into it that PSU (and so many games today) simply lack. both PSO ep1&2 were amazing, but PSO Episode III completely takes the cake. I think that game literately has the best presentation out of ANY game ive EVER played in my life. music, graphical menus, Manga cutscenes, being able to view the Hi-res card art in fullscreen (Took HOURS of my time marveling at the art in this game. Amazing.), hell even the loading screens looked amazing.

PSU is just such a step backwards in alot of things. Its just very obvious that nothing went into this game past assembly. What i mean is, in PSO, it was obvious the team was trying to create an EXPERIENCE. PSU team just seems like they skimmed by on absolutely everything they could.

No interactive loading screens, barely any weapon SFX or combos, none of a cast outside the same story ones, no challenge, battle or any other kind of modes, RESKINS, missions that barely require any scripting aside from monsters and cheep ass dialouge cutscenes...

PSU is actually a pretty shitty game when you strip it down to what Sonic Team has achieved in the past. PSO series was a masterpiece. PSU is an economic input.

HyperShot-X-
Jan 30, 2009, 09:07 PM
.. Should they ever release Blue Burst on XBLA, however...
..it will be hacked to hell n back all over again within in 2 month after release, PSO game engine is just totally outdated and practically broken with full of loopholes open for exploits.

No matter how fancy, phantastic, mystical, and original PSO may have been from our nostalgic memories, there is absolutely no point if it cannot last 2 or 3 months online without hacks getting out of control screwing the whole server and everyone in it.
Otherwise, you'd be better off playing ep.III card revolution on one of those GC lunch box or wii or whateva unless you can still manage to have fun soloing offline PSO.

Players should not forget how much PSU has evolved from dark days of old PSO and be thankful for the state it's in online until it lasts.

Nicodareus
Jan 30, 2009, 09:08 PM
I feel the opposite on pretty much everything you just said, Remius. Ehe. But, no sense in arguing about it. Different opinion is different~

On a side-note, PSO-W needs to just sticky a poll for this without allowing posts. It'd get alot more votes and alot less flame potential.

Nicodareus
Jan 30, 2009, 09:10 PM
..it will be hacked to hell n back all over again within in 2 month after release, PSO game engine is just totally outdated and practically broken with full of loopholes open for exploits.

Actually, all the security holes in PSO wouldn't mean jack squat on the xbox 360. It wouldn't be hacked to hell and beck, simply because.. Well, the people who can 'hack' (ha.. PSO/U has never had HACKers. Only CHEATers) on the 360 are few and far between to practically nonexistant. It's hard to exploit a security hole without a memory editor or a way to play modded games online via XBL.

HyperShot-X-
Jan 30, 2009, 09:36 PM
Even still, I don't see any hope of ST actually fixing PSO game engine completely to eliminate all in-game glitches for duping items & meseta, and all other load of problems like damage cancel for ex. just to port over BB to Live when they're too busy promoting PSP & PSZ as well as upcoming AOtI update.

RemiusTA
Jan 30, 2009, 10:16 PM
Players should not forget how much PSU has evolved from dark days of old PSO and be thankful for the state it's in online until it lasts.

Thats not the point. The point is that although PSU has evolved from what PSO is, the evolution PSO made during its time laps PSU's tenfold. PSU is superior. Thats quite obvious; It was made years after PSO was finished, and on superior hardware. But PSU is not a better game than PSO was.

When people play PSO, they're playing a game that may be outdated as hell, in both engine and concept, but for its time it was like one of THE best looking and playing games available. It was definately the best looking game on Dreamcast, anyway. Switch over to PSU, and you have everything PSO had on an updated engine with great new concepts added...but the developers didnt even attempt to push the envelope. PSU resorts to reskins, re-releases, and slow content release to keep its playerbase. Not only is that pathetic, but its completely backfired. PSU, in so many words, has failed.

IMO They dont even NEED to do another Phantasy Star MMO series...they just need to fix PSU. They need to ditch the PS2's inferior hardware, and develop exclusively for the PS3, 360, and PC. They need to go back and redo the textures, up the polygon count on the characters, add in a REAL lighting engine (Or, they could adapt Sega's all-new Hedgehog Engine, which does some fucking amazing lighting effects, seriously), take advantage of that hardware to create stages with actual objects in them and techincs that dont lag up the screen. Then, use the Harddrive to update us with new weapons constantly. (Although, all of this is way past something SEGA would even fathom wasting time with, so meh.)

Its like sega believes that if they do as LITTLE as possible and still keep a minimal amount of people, they'll still get decent profit these days. If they were actually to try for once, they could do really well.

cApNhOwDy
Jan 30, 2009, 10:20 PM
It was definately the best looking game on Dreamcast, anyway.

Shenmue II.

Chimeria
Jan 31, 2009, 12:21 AM
Which game has more depth and potental? Psu.

Which is a better GAME (as in, the all around picture)? DEFINATELY Pso.

PSO obviously had the amount of directing and feeling put into it that PSU (and so many games today) simply lack. both PSO ep1&2 were amazing, but PSO Episode III completely takes the cake. I think that game literately has the best presentation out of ANY game ive EVER played in my life. music, graphical menus, Manga cutscenes, being able to view the Hi-res card art in fullscreen (Took HOURS of my time marveling at the art in this game. Amazing.), hell even the loading screens looked amazing.

PSU is just such a step backwards in alot of things. Its just very obvious that nothing went into this game past assembly. What i mean is, in PSO, it was obvious the team was trying to create an EXPERIENCE. PSU team just seems like they skimmed by on absolutely everything they could.

No interactive loading screens, barely any weapon SFX or combos, none of a cast outside the same story ones, no challenge, battle or any other kind of modes, RESKINS, missions that barely require any scripting aside from monsters and cheep ass dialouge cutscenes...

PSU is actually a pretty shitty game when you strip it down to what Sonic Team has achieved in the past. PSO series was a masterpiece. PSU is an economic input.

WOW!!!! This is a great post! I wish I could have summed it up this good. =O

Zarode
Jan 31, 2009, 01:25 AM
I have a few questions for the people who have posted PSO over PSU.

Do you still play Phantasy Star Universe?

Why do you enjoy it?

If you are not currently playing, than why do you frequent PSU General?

As for what I like the best.

Well.

Both. Good times.

cApNhOwDy
Jan 31, 2009, 02:01 AM
Do you still play Phantasy Star Universe?

For the most part, no. However, I'm about to sign up for one month to play the event, only because it's a limited-time thing.

Why do you enjoy it?

Is it a pretty decent hack-n-slash, but it's not something that I'm willing to pay a monthly fee for, especially when I prefer it's predecessor so much more and that's completely free.

If you are not currently playing, than why do you frequent PSU General?

Event information and EspioKaos's JP updates. It's nice to see what I can expect to receive a year from now.

Dragwind
Jan 31, 2009, 02:14 AM
These threads have been made numerous times, and argued to a bloody death. If you're curious, look up the previous ones.