PDA

View Full Version : 42 Anyone interested in D&Ding?

Nai_Calus
Jan 30, 2009, 02:54 AM
I've lost my mind and decided to try DMing. D&D, 3.5e. I haven't DMed before, so bear in mind that there will be times when I will fuck up massively. : D We'll probably hit boring patches, times where something just doesn't make sense, etc. We'll work with it. :3

Knowledge of how exactly to play not required, you can be taught. No, Talon, it isn't like Fire Emblem. :wacko:

Aiming for something between 'I kick in the door' and 'We spend the next three weeks in hardcore fully roleplayed social interaction'. I'll want backstory and motivation for your character, since I plan to try to work it into things.

You'll be mostly from the kingdom we'll be playing in. It's dominated by humans and elves who don't generally get along, but has decent populations of the rest of the standard races as well. Further details on that when I get a writeup on the general shit you'd know done up. Things are fairly tense politically, if that's your thing. There's also the ever-popular 'oh god monsters help' if that's your thing.

Some houserules will be used, probably a change to the skill system, though that's still being worked out, I'll post the particulars of the houserules when I'm done ironing them out. 4e-style attributes to saves are a definite in though. (Fort is either STR or CON, Ref is either DEX or INT, Will is either WIS or CHA)

Books allowed will be core + Complete x(Complete Warrior, Complete Divine, etc) + stuff from other books subject to approval. I reserve the right to veto things if it seems like you're getting too munchkiny. <_> Also, no oriental-themed classes allowed - It doesn't exist in the world, and they annoy me. :D

I'll be using xp rather than 'you level when I feel like it'. You'll start with 15,000xp, which is just enough to hit L6. Yes, you can use it for the other things xp is good for, like buying off LA if you play something like an Aasimar.

Gear will be done using wealth by level, which for L6 is 13,000gp. No single item in your posession can cost more than 1/4 of this amount. (3250gp). Gear lists are subject to approval, etc blahblah.

I prefer characters not be evil. They don't have to be shining paragons of goodness, but if your character's main love in life is raping and pillaging, or plotting how best to assassinate anyone who mildly annoys him and then going through with it, the answer is no. <_> But eh, run it by me if it's a concept that absolutely has to be evil and it has a chance in hell of working well with others, I might allow it.

You can multiclass if it makes sense, PrCs if it makes sense. I'd rather you didn't multiclass so much that you pick up xp penalties. XP

Currently known PC: Elven Druid, Chaotic Neutral.

Blahblahblah tl;dr, anyone wanna do some dice-rollan gaemz? We'd probably be starting around the end of February, possibly sooner, depending on when I feel like I've done sufficient prep-work and we have enough players who've actually made their characters. XP Day/time to be determined based on the schedules of those involved.

W0LB0T
Jan 30, 2009, 02:59 AM
I have no fucking idea how to diec rollan gaems

Tact
Jan 30, 2009, 07:59 AM
Knowledge of how exactly to play not required, you can be taught. No, Talon, it isn't like Fire Emblem. :wacko:

Don't worry, W0LB0T, we can teach you how to roll dice. :wacko:

Outrider
Jan 30, 2009, 09:41 AM
They don't have to be shining paragons of goodness, but if your character's main love in life is raping and pillaging, or plotting how best to assassinate anyone who mildly annoys him and then going through with it, the answer is no.

That would be a foreign concept to my friends that I've played D&D with.

Basically, if they haven't gotten into several bar fights, robbed random people and probably burned a few houses to the ground before we leave on our first quest, they generally consider that a failure.

I'll say this much - it definitely makes being the one good character in the party a lot more interesting, if not superbly difficult.

Larian
Jan 30, 2009, 11:41 AM
I'll play...Sounds fun! =D

NPCMook
Jan 30, 2009, 11:55 AM
I'll play, if I can fit it in between various other games and work

Let's see how awkward this gets with my character :wacko:

ShinMaruku
Jan 30, 2009, 11:33 PM
40k scenarios.
It's basically a set of battles along a map with various armies.

Nitro Vordex
Jan 31, 2009, 12:07 AM
I might be nerd enough for this.

...later.

ShinMaruku
Jan 31, 2009, 12:10 AM
Scourge planets

Moo2u
Jan 31, 2009, 03:00 AM
D&D = Death & Destruction?

Larian
Jan 31, 2009, 04:27 AM

Yes! =D But I don't think it is supposed to be that way...yet somehow it always ends like that! =P

Nai_Calus
Jan 31, 2009, 06:40 AM
Quite frequently. :wacko:

PM me or poke me on AIM, Larian. :3

Weeaboolits
Jan 31, 2009, 08:06 AM
Don't forget those background questions.

ShinMaruku
Jan 31, 2009, 04:43 PM
Draco und Dracula.

Vanzazikon
Jan 31, 2009, 04:47 PM
Dee & Dee.

Weeaboolits
Jan 31, 2009, 04:47 PM
Centauros.

Wyndham
Jan 31, 2009, 04:48 PM
I'd like to play, but I don't think i could.

Tact
Jan 31, 2009, 05:12 PM
Don't forget those background questions.

He's gotten them finished and he sent them to me. If you like, I can PM them to you.

Weeaboolits
Jan 31, 2009, 05:16 PM
That would be good.

SpikeOtacon
Jan 31, 2009, 05:18 PM
Looks too crowded. Maybe some other time, cousin.

Nai_Calus
Feb 3, 2009, 10:36 PM
y halo thar houserules. I probably forgot something. I'll remember it. Or I won't. :wacko:

Critical hits:

No confimation of crits. A roll within your weapon's threat range that hits the target automatically crits.

Saves:

Saves operate off of one of two stats. Which you use is chosen at character creation and cannot be changed.

Fortitude - STR or CON
Reflex - DEX or INT
Will - WIS or CHA

Skills:

Cross-class skills are eliminated, all skills are taken as class skills. The skill list has been modified as follows:

Skill list:

Acrobatics - DEX - Check Penalty
Athletics - STR - Check Penalty
Concentration - CON
Craft - INT
Decipher Script - INT
Disable Device - INT - Check Penalty
Disguise - CHA
Escape Artist - DEX - Check Penalty
Forgery - INT
Gather Information - CHA
Handle Animal - CHA
Heal - WIS
Knowledge - INT
Negotiation - CHA
Perception - WIS
Perform - CHA
Ride - DEX
Sense Motive - WIS
Sleight of Hand - DEX - Check Penalty
Spellcraft - INT
Stealth - DEX - Check Penalty
Survival - WIS
Use Magic Device - CHA

The altered/combined skills are as follows:

Acrobatics - Combination of Balance and Tumble
Athletics - Combination of Climb, Jump and Swim
Disable Device - Open Lock has been folded into this
Negotiation - Combination of Bluff, Diplomacy and Intimidate
Perception - Combination of Listen, Search and Spot
Sleight of Hand - Use Rope has been folded into this.

Profession has been eliminated.
Appraise is now a function of the appropriate Knowledge skills.
Speak Language is a feat now, prereq 13 INT, learn 1+INT mod languages.

Nai_Calus
Feb 10, 2009, 04:33 PM
More update-like stuff:

I finished the map of the kingdom. There's two versions, one where you can actually see the whole thing on a decent-sized monitor, and one you can actually read the text on. :wacko:

http://www.iankunx.net/maphuge.jpg
http://www.iankunx.net/mapmedium.jpg

Serestal will be the starting city, it's a city populated mostly by Grey Elves. Elsha is an aquatic elven city. Tairil Cor is an island rather than a city, it's only permanent population is the priests who serve at the temple there. The entire area of the bay is the site most sacred to the elves in all of Arningor, due to the shape of the surrounding land resembling that of a crescent moon, the holy symbol of the primary Elven god Corellon Larethian. The island is the site of the largest temple devoted to him in the kingdom.

The day we'll be starting on will be the day that Lukas Kraus, the current acting heir to Arningor's throne, is visiting Serestal to meet with some of the kingdom's Elven leaders and the high priest of the temple. Why you're there that day is up to you.

The nearby cities if you're looking for a place to be from that's fairly close by(Well OK the farthest one here is about 65 miles away, but):

Verli is an elven city, mostly high elves. It's a reputable little town.
Naton is a city populated by a mixture of humans, outcast elves, and surface-dwelling drow. It has a somewhat unsavoury reputation that it may or may not deserve.
Renthel is a small, mostly human trading town. There are a few halflings that live here.
Aldos is a mid-sized port town, nearly exclusively human.
Rinan is largely a farming community. Humans and a few gnomes.
Josrad is a trade town like Renthel, though there are some dwarves here.
Armos is the largest city in Arningor, a major port and also the capitol of the kingdom. It's ironically also one of the human cities most likely to see elves due to trade with the aquatic elven city of Iarla. The merchants may not like the aquatic elves, but they do like their pearls and coral.

Anyone who hasn't finished their character can use these questions to get themselves thinking:

Where is your character from?
Does your character have a family?
What does your character look like?
How does your character dress?
Physical quirks:
Mental quirks:
Where, when, why, and from whom did your character learn her skills?
What does your character like/dislike?
What is your character’s moral code?
What are your character’s goals?
What motivation does your character have for working with the other party members?
Did your character know about any of the other party members?

We should probably start working out what day and time works for people so we can start once we're all ready.

We'll be handling absent players as follows: If more than one person can't make it we reschedule or just skip a week. If one person can't make it and their character is not currently heavily involved in roleplay, that character gets NPCed for the session.

Any questions?

NPCMook
Feb 11, 2009, 08:28 PM
Feral Elves and Winged Humans -flees cackling like a mad man-

Nai_Calus
Feb 17, 2009, 08:01 PM
So, thinking of starting on either the 1st or the 8th of March, both are Sundays.

Thoughts?

Tact
Feb 18, 2009, 05:46 PM
Either one is fine for me. I don't know of anything on either day that would severely hamper my plans to be there.

NPCMook
Feb 18, 2009, 07:19 PM
My Sunday's are open

Nai_Calus
Feb 21, 2009, 11:52 PM
Leaning towards the 8th.

Most people seem to be clustering around the NG-CG-CN quadrant of the alignment spectrum so if you haven't finished yours yet it might be good to lean towards that.

Oh yeah I forgot to ban Paladins. <_>

Characters so far as I know:

Shligger: Unknown
Tact: CN Elven Druid
Ronin_Cooper: CG Elven Swashbuckler
Larian: Unknown alignment Human Scout
NPCMook: NG Medusa monster class
SpikeOtacon: Unknown

Which puts us at full. :3

NPCMook
Feb 22, 2009, 03:19 AM
Fear the Medusa

Tact
Feb 22, 2009, 09:18 AM
I'm Chaotic Neutral because my being a Druid is making me. :wacko:

But yeah, it does seem to fit me best.

SStrikerR
Feb 22, 2009, 08:52 PM
I'd like to play, but I don't think i could.

This, and Fire Emblem OWNZ.

Nai_Calus
Mar 5, 2009, 10:30 PM
Sunday at 4pm PST, 5pm Mountain, 6pm Central, 7pm Eastern for those of you too lazy to do conversions.

I need your characters finished and turned in for review by Saturday night. Just PM me the stats/feats/skills/items you've got. I'll also go over character sheets Sunday and make sure they're filled in right.

If you don't have Hamachi yet you'll want to get it, if you don't have Fantasy Grounds II yet poke me or Tact about it, I know most of you don't have the edited ruleset yet for actually doing your in-game sheet so you'll also need to get that from me or Tact, Shligger, finish your character.

Once you get the ruleset if you're having trouble entering in your skills, just right-click the skills page and click on the icon that looks like an open padlock to get to direct adjustment mode and you can just type your stuff in normally. Frankly I haven't worked out how to even use that other mode for it. (Largely due to not needing to, but)

Out_Kast
Mar 6, 2009, 03:47 PM
I might be nerd enough for this.

...later.

Respect ++.

Nai_Calus
Mar 13, 2009, 06:04 AM
This Sunday for the next session, yes? Any objections/people unable to make it?

Same time again. :3

Last Sunday a quiet day in the elven holy city of Serestal turned sinister as a band of human assassins tried to kill Lukas Kraus, Archduke of Arningor and current heir to the throne, who was in Serestal to try to form diplomatic relations with the elves as a step towards forging peace and cooperation between the humans and elves, as well as to enjoy a rare chance to access their considerable knowledge of magic.

The assassins were stopped, thanks to the party, and their backup plan of taking a hostage foiled as well. However, two of them escaped into the sewers, though not without being observed by Lukas, and the party is now about to go after them at Lukas' request, who believes that the attack was the result of the machinations of a man he referred to as Elzar. It was learned from high priest Isri Arellan that it seems they and their ilk have been causing trouble in the eastern part of the Tiaden Forest and coming into Serestal to cause trouble, even going so far as to kidnap elves, for what purpose no one knows.

Known NPCs so far and what you'd know about them if you keep up on the relevant politics:

Lukas Kraus: Archduke of Arningor, heir to the throne. King Erlad IV, the current ruler, has no biological heirs, so the crown will pass to the Archduke upon his death. Lukas' position is shaky due to the nature of how he got it, his family was technically the third noble family in rank, but he was appointed to his position by the man who it rightfully belongs to, who had no interest in politics. There was a massive scandal surrounding this amongst the nobles. Lukas is well-known for his support of the goal of peace between the races of Arningor.

Isri Arellan: One of the most famous elves in Arningor, Isri is the High Priest of the Temple of the Protector, a huge and magnificent temple to Corellon Larethian located on the island of Tairil Cor. His influence on Elven life within Arningor cannot be overstated, as it is thanks to his efforts that there are good and neutral-aligned drow that can freely walk the streets of some of the more liberal elven cities, and even achieve a decent level of acceptance. Isri is himself a drow, known for his tireless promotion of peace among the elven subraces and with other races as well.

Larian
Mar 13, 2009, 10:32 AM
=D

FOCL

Tact
Mar 13, 2009, 02:37 PM
The assassins were stopped, thanks to the party, and their backup plan of taking a hostage foiled as well.

Mook petrified one of them (and I broke his arm off). The other guy was wrestled to death by Ronin and Lukas.

Nai_Calus
Mar 16, 2009, 12:10 PM
New people this week:

Saresha: A relatively young cleric of Corellon Larethian travelling with the party at the direction of Isri. Seems sensible and calm.
Yemthar: One of the escaped wizards from last week. He has a wife and three children and is helping the party in hopes that they really will let him live to go home to them.
Nardel: The other wizard. A friend of Yemthar's.

This week's events:

Joined by Saresha, the party descended into the sewers beneath Serestal to pursue the escaped wizards from last week. They found them without too much trouble, seems they paused to have an arguement about one of them getting in the other's way.

Tagu, the medusa, used his hat of disguise to disguise himself as one of the dead assassins from last week. The wizards recognized him as their friend Denar, and were relieved to see him alive and well. They briefly mourned Quintel, the wizard who got turned to stone by Tagu last week, and then moved on, heading towards their base of operations with some trepidation at their boss' eventual reaction. The party followed them and Tagu, mimicing what they did to avoid the traps set up throughout the area.

While moving through an ancient buried building below the streets of Serestal, one of the wizards, Nardel, was attacked and grabbed by an ochre jelly. Tagu tried to get the other wizard, Yemthar, to leave him, and almost succeeded, but Nardel was able to break free of the monster and the party and the wizards defeated it. In the confusion, the party revealed themselves and argued about what to do with the wizards. Some were in favour of simply killing one and having the other lead them, but cooler heads prevailed in the end, with Yemthar begging the party not to kill either of them, telling that he has a wife and three children who will starve without him. Yemthar revealed that his group wasn't the ones behind the kidnappings, and that it was another organization he knows of, but doesn't know the location of. He and Nardel lead the party through the sewers and buildings below Serestal to caves heading northeast of it.

In the caves the party unfortunately managed to grab the attention of two of the enormous spiders that lived in the cave, and Ria was poisoned in the battle, leaving her weakened. Eventually the party made it to a staircase that apparently leads to the headquarters of the assassins...