PDA

View Full Version : The PS3 Fanboy

rayner
Jan 30, 2009, 10:33 AM
Let me tell you a quick story, back in 2006 a friend of mine convinced me to pick up an Xbox 360 and since June 2006 I've been hooked. In this time I also owned a Wii and sold it "used" last X-mas 2007 for a profit. haha! I currently have no reason to pick up a PS3 at the moment, I've been playing video-games since 1981 and I've owned just about every major console in that time, including a Neo Geo & Turob Duo ( I'm in the US ) I'll most likely pick up a PS3 when it's below $199, but with all the multi-platform games there really is no urge to buy it. Here are a few more reasons:

I do not want to re-buy my 250 DvD collection on Blu-ray
I do not like Metal Gear Solid ( I loved the first though )
I do not want to "play" Little Big Planet
I do not like God of War
I don't want to play Killzone 2
I like cross-game chatting
I do not want to look at Home
I do not want Manditory Installations
I do not need a Wi-fi connection

Just because of my prefrences I had a friend who would call me an X360 Fanboy and Anti-Sony, even though I own a PS2 & PSP... and still consider the PS2 the best system ever. In all of my years of playing video-games I've never seen 2 systems ( PS3 & Xbox 360 ) so similar in their releases and basically the same quality, though tech-nuts will tear-apart anything to find a microscopic difference. Though one was $200 more at launch, and offers functionality I don't want or need. I also like niche Japanese titles, Culdcept Saga, Tales of Vesperia, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Eternal Sonata, Project Sylpheed, Guilty Gear 2... and I look forward to OneChanbara in a few weeks.

So for some reason my "tastes" make me an rabid Xbox 360 Fanboy? But every-single exclusive game that comes out for the PS3 will "save teh system" I'm tired of this crap... I had to cut this friend off because of his fanboyism. It's so funny because he was the one that convinced me to get an X360, but NOW it's such a terrible system because of the 3-red-rings-of-death... it's called a Best Buy 2 Year Warranty... I've actually made $$$ from the price-drops and got a 60GB HD in the process :-)

I guess what I'd like is for people to leave me alone and let me play my video-games, not try to paint me as a fanboy... I didn't pick up an original Xbox until 2005, and only played 4 games for it, Fable, Halo, Halo 2 & Forza. Does that make me a PS2 /GCN fanboy? This SYSTEM WARZ reminds me of the SNES / Genesis War that I witnessed first-hand... I remember I was branded a Genesis fanboy because I wanted blood in my Mortal Kombat. :-)

thunder-ray
Jan 30, 2009, 11:48 AM
As a gamer I prefer to respect the opinions and taste's that other gamers have in certain systems and games. If you like the xbox 360 more then the ps3 thats fine I dont care if you dont like the ps3 or think it sucks. Im not about to waste my time labeling people as fanboys to a certain system, just because they dont like a system I like. I do plan on buying a xbox 360 sometime this year since they're certain games on that system I like.

As for your post I have no problem with your opinion over the ps3. Everybody has the right to have their own taste's in certain systems and games.

Seority
Jan 30, 2009, 12:45 PM
I love blu-rays.
I loved MGS and I will play 4 asap.
I LOVE Little Big Planet.
I like Home. I can't wait for the full game.
I enjoy having wi-fi, though my family doesnt use it.

I also,
love Fable.
Think Halo is fun.
Enjoy Guitar Hero and Rock Band.

Sorry if we don't see eye to eye about things, but this is all opinionated as thunder said.
Buy what you like and I'll do the same ^_^

TheOneHero
Jan 30, 2009, 12:53 PM
Fanboyism: Going to extremes when describing your love. Refusing to admit anything wrong or bad about what it is you love. Presenting no valid points or real logic during debates.

There's nothing wrong with liking or disliking a game or console; where it gets wrong is if you say something like this, "Playstation? More like Gaystation."

Kylie
Jan 30, 2009, 01:01 PM
Platform allegiance is stupid. I've never been afraid to speak my mind, so I've said why I got a PS3 and not a 360 or Wii. But I have never (feel free to watch me on this) told someone not to buy a certain console unless they specifically asked for my opinion, and I guarantee you I will always add something like, "But I honestly don't care." Why? Because I don't. I have better things to do with my time than worry about what console other people are spending their money on, and I'm about to own a PS3 and 360 anyway. I'll decide for myself which I like more.

Since Resident Evil 5 is coming out soon, I've seen a lot of bickering about which console it will be better on. I don't care if people speculate that because there are pros and cons to each system, but a lot of people don't give any logical reasons for their opinions on this. It's basically just, "RE5 will better on the PS3 because I said so." I think it just shows the know it all / insecure nature of some people...

rayner
Jan 30, 2009, 01:07 PM
I love blu-rays.
I loved MGS and I will play 4 asap.
I LOVE Little Big Planet.
I like Home. I can't wait for the full game.
I enjoy having wi-fi, though my family doesnt use it.

I also,
love Fable.
Think Halo is fun.
Enjoy Guitar Hero and Rock Band.

Sorry if we don't see eye to eye about things, but this is all opinionated as thunder said.
Buy what you like and I'll do the same ^_^

This is exactly what I would have loved to hear from my friend... I never once told him that his purchase of a PS3 was a wrong decision, he could play what he liked and I'd play what I like. It wasn't until Bionic Commando: Rearmed came out that it really started to get annoying... I wanted to talk about the game ( XBLA & PSN release ) but all he could tell me is that is was SUPERIOR on PSN and he could play it on his PSP, remotely... blah, blah, blah.

I couldn't even mention Achievements / Trophies to him... he used to be one of those people that would say "yeah I beat that" and just watched the ending on the net... so this generation put a stop to that :-)

Vanzazikon
Jan 30, 2009, 01:10 PM
I couldn't even mention Achievements / Trophies to him... he used to be one of those people that would say "yeah I beat that" and just watched the ending on the net... so this generation put a stop to that :-)People like that exists :-o

rayner
Jan 30, 2009, 01:16 PM
People like that exists :-o

He used to write reviews for a website... man I forget the name, insideimpulse? And He would always write that he beat the game in his review, he wrote one on Kameo, and I asked why the "Collect All Fruits" Achievement wasn't on his profile, but he mentioned that he had gotten it in his review? He told me that he got the 100 Fruits and didn't save? Sorry but it goes the other way around... I'm a completionist so my Completion % for gamerscore is 84.17% with 123 games, he couldn't compete with me so he would ridicule the system, but now that PS3 has trophies he has condemned it as well.

amtalx
Jan 30, 2009, 01:24 PM
Even if you have all the systems, you are probably going to have a favorite. Somehow that turns you into a 'fanboy' for whatever your favorite is. My personal favorite is the 360, mostly because it has more reasons to turn it on outside of gaming. My PS3 only gets used if an exclusive comes out that I want, and my Wii is more for decoration than anything else.

Cracka_J
Jan 30, 2009, 01:44 PM
I have a few reasons for getting a 360, and still not purchasing a PS3. Like the OP, I've owned nearly every system released by every manufacturer since the NES, and will likely own a PS3 someday too...but not until it hits like 150-200 price range. Anyway:

• Nearly all titles are multi-platform, aside from a few exclusives.
• 360 has more exclusives that fit my tastes.
• 360 has more games available, many at discount prices.
• PS3 is not a true 24fps locked blu-ray player. It's actually considered a very low end player from what's available on the market.
• Getting into a 360 can be much more affordable.
• Live is an outstanding network play service.

Also on the bluray issue, most standalone players out there now (I picked up a hi-end player during christmas sales) offer dvd upconvert for 1080p tv's. So me and my wife have been enjoying all our 200+ dvd collection that looks simply incredible now, and we buy all our new stuff on bluray to take advantage of it. Just like the OP, I wasn't about to re-collect what we already had. Just take note that most bluray players still play dvd and usually have the upconvert feature to make them look quite a bit better.

Karazykid
Jan 30, 2009, 05:28 PM
I just don't see any reason to own a PS3 right now. I like FPS games, the 360 has a great collection of those. When I wanna play an RPG the 360 has plenty of those too. The only exclusives for the PS3 I might even consider would be MGS4 (just for the online play since I've already beaten it) or Killzone 2, but I can't see paying upwards of $500 just to play 2 games.

My cousin got a PS3 for Christmas, and he's already regretting it. He doesn't have an HD tv so the blu ray aspect is lost, and as much as he likes the MGS series ya can't just keep playing the same game over and over.

Kent
Jan 30, 2009, 08:00 PM
It's so funny because he was the one that convinced me to get an X360, but NOW it's such a terrible system because of the 3-red-rings-of-death... it's called a Best Buy 2 Year Warranty...
And on top of this, Microsoft provides a three-year warranty against the three red lights - so even if you don't have an in-store method of exchanging it, Microsoft will cover the system for quite a while yet. They're actually pretty flexible about it, too - if you tell them the purchase date, and their warranty record goes by manufacturing date, they'll take your word for it... And give you a free month of Xbox Live Gold in addition to your repairs.

As a general rule, fanboys are idiots. There are no exceptions. It's one thing to favor a system on personal aesthetic and the titles and features available to it... But it's something else entirely to tout the "strengths" of a system as making it far more "objectively favorable," when realistically-speaking, the main competitor delivers all but two of the same features and has a wider library of exclusives, a lower price-point, a much broader online community, and far more support from people who actually make games.

rayner
Feb 1, 2009, 07:35 AM
And on top of this, Microsoft provides a three-year warranty against the three red lights - so even if you don't have an in-store method of exchanging it, Microsoft will cover the system for quite a while yet. They're actually pretty flexible about it, too - if you tell them the purchase date, and their warranty record goes by manufacturing date, they'll take your word for it... And give you a free month of Xbox Live Gold in addition to your repairs.

As a general rule, fanboys are idiots. There are no exceptions. It's one thing to favor a system on personal aesthetic and the titles and features available to it... But it's something else entirely to tout the "strengths" of a system as making it far more "objectively favorable," when realistically-speaking, the main competitor delivers all but two of the same features and has a wider library of exclusives, a lower price-point, a much broader online community, and far more support from people who actually make games.

I went through 5 NES systems in my days... some of it was just being a stupid kid... I once got my hamster stuck in the system! Toys R Us didn't have a warranty on them, but I loved the games!!! If the PS3 and the X360 weren't so similar I probably would own them both, but 1 came out sooner and cost $200 less.

Genoa
Feb 2, 2009, 04:12 AM
There's many reasons why people do not like the PS3, but the biggest reasons I see is:
1. Cost
2. Current titles released
3. Without HD, the PS3 isn't a very formidable investment

I like my PS3 however
1. Bought it anyways
2. Despite me not using it really for the games currently out, I HAVE to have FFXIII and Verus, I have high expectations (it's my personal opinion, don't hate :P)
3. I have 1080p monitor that I use for my PS3 along with PC. I simply switch from DVI to HDMI.

I REALLY like how blu-ray looks and sounds.
I would agree that the PS3 is quite expensive and with it's current titles, not a good investment at the moment... but I have a few good blu-ray movies and I enjoy the 1080p experience so far. It's just... very costly :/

DreXxiN
Feb 2, 2009, 04:47 AM
Hmm, low end blu ray player eh?

From my source it's the second best on the market. And seriously, Blu-rays are absolutely breathtaking on my 1080p TV..I really never thought MOVIES could take my breath away, until I watched Speed Racer and had a visual orgasm while having the most sexy seizure I could possibly imagine.

Cracka_J
Feb 2, 2009, 12:49 PM
Hmm, low end blu ray player eh?

From my source it's the second best on the market. And seriously, Blu-rays are absolutely breathtaking on my 1080p TV..I really never thought MOVIES could take my breath away, until I watched Speed Racer and had a visual orgasm while having the most sexy seizure I could possibly imagine.

Yeah, I've heard from several major electronic retailers of actual blu-ray players (no not bestbuy or kmart associates ;P) the PS3 cannot maintain the frame rates that even the other 1st party Sony standalone units can. That was a big disappointment in my book, cause I was just about willing to spend the extra 100 bucks or so to get the combo deal. I've been 100% happy with the standalone Sony player I picked up though, Costco was having a $80 manufacturer instant rebate around christmas time for a player that normally retails 300+, so we swiped that up.

For even greater seizure inducing, turn the smooth motion or 120hz on your tv (if it has the technology...only some newer tvs are supporting it), or go to a friends place that has a 120hz tv and hook up your blu-ray. You will literally never want to go to the theater again. It's like saying "hello movie, come out of that tv and into my living room". The only downside is watching a movie on anything less will really start to annoy the crap out of you.

Oh yeah, 120hz works on games too...I got nauseated on saturday from playing mirror's edge with it on :D Not that it's a bad game, it just moved too quickly and fluid in 1st person and I had to break after about 30 minutes of playtime. Small price you pay for eye candy! :D

DreXxiN
Feb 2, 2009, 02:14 PM
Hmm, my blu rays happen to run really smoothly, but it's probably because the 60GB model has that stuff a little better.

Ah well, I'll check for that option on my TV. xD

Kion
Feb 9, 2009, 10:37 AM
Can anyone point me to a wii fanboy? I bought one for the remote gimmick, but there`s nothing but rehash mario games. Is there anything original on the so called "revolution"?

And bluray is full of bs. As is HDDVD. I was always wondering why both sides spent so much time trying to bribe studios insteed of trying to advertise their product. it always stuck me as incredibly moronic that microsoft and sony spent so much time trying to push their new media all the while having systems connected to the internet. I`ve always wondered that for all the money they spent if they ever thought of streaming movies in HD?

Anyways as for not owning a PS3 that`s fine. There aren`t too many great games for it, and if you dont like big planet or MGS then there`s really no reason as those are big games in the arsenal. Good stuff is pretty rare to come across, and next gen systems are always back word capable; so you can always wait until amazing games find thier way down in price.

Outrider
Feb 9, 2009, 11:42 AM
Can anyone point me to a wii fanboy? I bought one for the remote gimmick, but there`s nothing but rehash mario games. Is there anything original on the so called "revolution"?

Honestly, not even worth my time, but I'd love to hear what games you've played on the other systems that were so much better than Super Mario Galaxy.

rayner
Feb 9, 2009, 11:52 AM
Honestly, not even worth my time, but I'd love to hear what games you've played on the other systems that were so much better than Super Mario Galaxy.

It's just the progression of the series... Mario in the Past, then Mario on an Island... then Mario in Space. If it progresses like in B-Movie fashion... then the next installment is Mario "in da-hood" There is really nothing "exciting" about Super Mario Galaxy when you've been playing the series since Mario Bros in the Arcade back in 1983. It's a great game indeed... I like watching people play it... but I just can't play it by myself?

DreXxiN
Feb 9, 2009, 01:30 PM
Exactly, let's see some damn variety in Nintendo.

But wait, we won't get it because this method of recycling is working so well.

The games are fun, but not so much that I will repurchase a wii any time soon.

Outrider
Feb 9, 2009, 01:44 PM
It's just the progression of the series... Mario in the Past, then Mario on an Island... then Mario in Space. If it progresses like in B-Movie fashion... then the next installment is Mario "in da-hood" There is really nothing "exciting" about Super Mario Galaxy when you've been playing the series since Mario Bros in the Arcade back in 1983. It's a great game indeed... I like watching people play it... but I just can't play it by myself?

If anything, if you've been playing Mario games since back in the day, Mario Galaxy should resonate more with you than any up-and-coming gamer. It's a perfect blend of a love letter to old-school Mario fans and an introduction to new gamers.

It really is one of the best-designed, genuinely fun games this generation. It's a shame some people are unwilling to play through it.

rayner
Feb 9, 2009, 01:59 PM
If anything, if you've been playing Mario games since back in the day, Mario Galaxy should resonate more with you than any up-and-coming gamer. It's a perfect blend of a love letter to old-school Mario fans and an introduction to new gamers.

It really is one of the best-designed, genuinely fun games this generation. It's a shame some people are unwilling to play through it.

The Wii is an entirely different beast when it comes to gaming... and I guess because I'm on my feet all day teaching to want to play with waggle. I don't mind watching people playing Super Mario Galaxy, but when I get home and want to play video-games I want to play with little physical effort.

I'm also tired of the Zelda series... it's just the same rehash with waggle. I'm also a BIG fan of the Metroid Series, but I'd rather play through Metroid Prime then Metroid Prime 3?

You know what kind of game that would excie me on the Wii... and RTS where you use the Remote as a pointer and you can click-n-drag and hot-key a squad... not an RTS with waggle.

Outrider
Feb 9, 2009, 05:35 PM
Mario Galaxy has almost no "waggle." You shake the remote and you point. I've had jobs where I've been on my feet all day and I assure you, a little shake here and there doesn't tire you out.

I'm not trying to pick on you - there's just this assumption that motion control is somehow less passive than using a traditional controller and there's really hardly any difference.

I won't go into Zelda or Metroid - Twilight Princess is a great game that tries too hard to be Ocarina of Time and Metroid Prime 3 is a great game that just isn't as good as the first Metroid Prime - but Super Mario Galaxy is leaps and bounds beyond anything else that's come out this generation. I loved most of the other recent big games - Halo 3, MGS 4, etc - but man... Galaxy? Galaxy is something else.

Kent
Feb 9, 2009, 05:43 PM
I think it's funny, some of the things people say about long-running series.

"Let's see some variety," comes up, when they're actually taking the core gameplay that makes it [insert series here], and transposing it into an entirely new world, with entirely new layouts and everything... But there's "no variety."

Realistically-speaking, they typically add in variety so it's a mostly-new experience with a familiar amount of interactivity.

When you look at a game's core mechanics in current series, you'll often find that they haven't really changed all that much - the only real ground-breaking changes in long-running series came from the jump from 2D to 3D. Just as, say, 2D Zelda games were mostly the same thing (excluding Zelda II, of course), the 3D ones follow suit after that change.

How many of the real gameplay mechanics, once you get into what the meat of the gameplay is, are really all that different between Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess? You have the familiar "Zelda-style" battle system which everyone's been trying to mimic since the first 3D game in the series came about, you have the staple boomerang, bombs, and bow, and it takes place in Hyrule and there's at least once princess involved. After that, the general gist of each game flies off in some other direction, completely.

The fact of the matter is, if they changed it too much, it wouldn't have the Zelda resonance to it, and people are more likely to buy something with "Zelda" stamped on it than the same product without such a designation. Yes, it's a business thing.

But as someone who's loved every Zelda game he's played, I can't honestly say it's a bad thing. Skills and experiences carry over, however loosely, between each new game, and the familiar experience rings a bell of nostalgia all over again. There's still enough variety to where you can say that it's not playing the same game you did 10 years ago, as it's still a very different experience, but with a proven stlye of gameplay and progression.

That's not to say that change is bad, however - just look at Phantom Hourglass.

amtalx
Feb 9, 2009, 05:46 PM
Really? I liked Galaxy. It was the first decent console Mario game since the SNES (Sunshine and Mario 64 were tragedies), but it didn't blow me away.

Outrider
Feb 9, 2009, 06:46 PM
Really? I liked Galaxy. It was the first decent console Mario game since the SNES (Sunshine and Mario 64 were tragedies), but it didn't blow me away.

While I'd definitely disagree with you on Mario 64 (and nowadays it's nigh-impossible to get people to admit that Sunshine was actually a good, if somewhat clunky and by-the-books game), Galaxy basically took everything good about platform games from the past 25 or so years, turned all that on its ear, and then layered on top of it modern-day game design sensibilities.

You wind up with dozens of levels with different gameplay styles (some levels change things up on you by substantially altering the level progression while others introduce entirely new gameplay systems) with plenty of easy, fun levels for light gameplay and a good number of challenging missions later on. You get a surprisingly well-done use of the Wii controller that doesn't detract from the gameplay in any way but actually adds to it - something that's surprisingly rare. It's just a good, fun game.

I know I'm an incredibly pretentious gamer - I want games to be high art and I want them to be intellectual - but I can't deny the sheer amount of fun I had playing Galaxy. It's built purely for fun factor like games were when I was a kid, but it's wrapped up in the modern design philosophies that prevent you from hating yourself for taking damage or missing a jump.

Nitro Vordex
Feb 9, 2009, 08:34 PM
This whole thread makes me
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/4661/1232249982949ll9.jpg
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/4661/1232249982949ll9.jpgp

joefro
Feb 9, 2009, 10:11 PM
Mario 64 were tragediesMario 64 was in my opinion the best Mario game. I haven't played Galaxy yet so I won't judge (waiting for it to hit $20-30.)

On topic

In general, I favor Microsoft and their products, however, I do own all current-gen consoles and handhelds (and I use Mac OS X, but that's not important.) In terms of system use, I rarely use my Wii and I mostly use my PS3 for blu-ray. I really had high hopes for the Wii when it came out, then Nintendo decided to not make any good games. I only own a few Wii games and I only like one, Twilight Princess. Brawl was broken beyond belief (online, too damn easy.) I really like my PS3 but it doesn't have any games that interest me. I love watching blu-ray movies and I can't wait for God of War III! I really do love my Xbox and all of the games for it. My collection is massive and expands every few month. (Halo Wars! yay!) My DS hasen't be used since I traveled to Europe in 2007. My PSP has one game, God of War: Chains of Olympus. While I prefer Xbox, I don't hate the competition.

Also, all of my friends have a 360 so it really works out great with Xbox Live parties and such.

Kion
Feb 9, 2009, 11:56 PM

Actually i haven`t picked up mario galaxy yet. I really can`t get into mario games. They`re fun to pick up, but progressing through the entire game just gets boring for me.

I did pick up mario cart and was extremyl disappointed. What i found with mario cart and took it as a trait with all nintendo games it that they are lame rehashes of older games. Granted, their fine tuned and extremely fun, but if you`ve played any of the previous games their no reason to pick one up and expect something new. They`re not targetted at the average player to buy every new consol for for new gamers and nostalgia purposes and they`re doing a pretty damn good job of marketting that way. Pretty much for any franchise if you`ve played one you`ve played them all, it just depends on how commited you are to the story or gameplay.

For wii i`m glad to see somethird party support finally starting to trickle in. the game i have my eyes set on is fatal frame which looks like it would actually really take advantage of the wii controls (which i`ll grab when i have some money to blow). Resident evil Umbrella chronicles looks appealing on first glance, except it seems to be getting horrible reviews. Tenchu may be good for solid game play. What I`m really looking forward to is nintendo`s online integrated system to actually be online. Monster hunter will be making an appearance eventually as an rpg in the year 20xx. And what should really kick ass is Square is making an online Crystal Chronicals for wii with DS support.

Good things are on the horizon for the system, but for how long it`s been out i think it`s sad there`s not much to play; just Nintendo franchises and half ass ports. Also a normal controller can be preferable over the remote for alot fo situations as it doesn`t really read well all of the time. Mario cart refuse to play with the freaking steering wheel they give you; when ever i try to tilt the controller back to do a trick my character generally turns directly into the neerest convient ditch.

amtalx
Feb 10, 2009, 10:22 AM
I'm usually alone with my opinion of Mario 64. However, I have gotten a few of my friends to admit retrospectively that it wasn't the 2nd coming of platformers. I actually disliked that game so much that it dissuaded me from getting an N64 during that generation's time frame. I went with a Playstation and just played my friend's N64.

Outrider
Feb 10, 2009, 10:28 AM
Actually i haven`t picked up mario galaxy yet. I really can`t get into mario games. They`re fun to pick up, but progressing through the entire game just gets boring for me.

I did pick up mario cart and was extremyl disappointed. What i found with mario cart and took it as a trait with all nintendo games it that they are lame rehashes of older games. Granted, their fine tuned and extremely fun, but if you`ve played any of the previous games their no reason to pick one up and expect something new. They`re not targetted at the average player to buy every new consol for for new gamers and nostalgia purposes and they`re doing a pretty damn good job of marketting that way. Pretty much for any franchise if you`ve played one you`ve played them all, it just depends on how commited you are to the story or gameplay.

For wii i`m glad to see somethird party support finally starting to trickle in. the game i have my eyes set on is fatal frame which looks like it would actually really take advantage of the wii controls (which i`ll grab when i have some money to blow). Resident evil Umbrella chronicles looks appealing on first glance, except it seems to be getting horrible reviews. Tenchu may be good for solid game play. What I`m really looking forward to is nintendo`s online integrated system to actually be online. Monster hunter will be making an appearance eventually as an rpg in the year 20xx. And what should really kick ass is Square is making an online Crystal Chronicals for wii with DS support.

Good things are on the horizon for the system, but for how long it`s been out i think it`s sad there`s not much to play; just Nintendo franchises and half ass ports. Also a normal controller can be preferable over the remote for alot fo situations as it doesn`t really read well all of the time. Mario cart refuse to play with the freaking steering wheel they give you; when ever i try to tilt the controller back to do a trick my character generally turns directly into the neerest convient ditch.

You're arguing that the various sequels are too similar? It's pretty clear that you're not that familiar with the games you're talking about, so I'll give you some leeway, but you're trying to argue that a game you haven't played is too similar to another game you haven't played. Do you see the problem there?

From the list of games you're looking forward to, I worry that you're kind of missing the point with a lot of titles. Then again, that's only for Wii - I'm going to assume that for whatever platform you do most of your gaming on there are more games than just crappy spin-offs and sequels to random Japanese games series that you're interested in.

(Though I will say Fatal Frame IV has me interested if only because it's being done by Suda 51 and Grasshopper Manufacture.)

DreXxiN
Feb 10, 2009, 02:51 PM
I think nintendo fanboys and nintendo haters just need to get along, and agree to disagree that Nintendo never really comes up with something truly innovative in series-advancement, can't create a new idea worth shit, but their games can be a lot of fun and noob casual gamer friendly :)

rayner
Feb 10, 2009, 03:32 PM
I think nintendo fanboys and nintendo haters just need to get along, and agree to disagree that Nintendo never really comes up with something truly innovative in series-advancement, can't create a new idea worth shit, but their games can be a lot of fun and noob casual gamer friendly :)

I'm guilty of playing Mario Party 8 with my sister's kids... I think it's fun and they beat the crap outta me legit! But would I sit home and play MP8 by myself in my apartment?

Outrider
Feb 10, 2009, 03:47 PM

Simply adorable.

This thread is going downhill - it won't be long before people start trying to talk about God of War or Fallout 3 as truly excellent games.

rayner
Feb 10, 2009, 03:57 PM
Simply adorable.

This thread is going downhill - it won't be long before people start trying to talk about God of War or Fallout 3 as truly excellent games.

Fallout 3 was pretty good :-) There is a difference between innovating a genre and then simply adding "waggle" So far the only Nintendo Franchise that seems to implement it well is Mario Kart... everything else it seem to be just added-on. If they made an RTS with point & drag to hot-key squads I'd be all over it... consoles just can't do RTS right. Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth II was close, but the controls blew.

Outrider
Feb 10, 2009, 05:22 PM
Fallout 3 was pretty good :-)

Fallout 3 is an RPG that plays like a broken FPS and is plagued with dozens of missed "we can do it, but why should we?" design questions.

But I understand that some people like these endlessly open-world games, and I can certainly see the benefit to be found in exploring such a massive world, so whatever, I'll concede on being a bit harsh here.

There is a difference between innovating a genre and then simply adding "waggle" So far the only Nintendo Franchise that seems to implement it well is Mario Kart... everything else it seem to be just added-on. If they made an RTS with point & drag to hot-key squads I'd be all over it... consoles just can't do RTS right. Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth II was close, but the controls blew.

You're entirely right. Adding "waggle" doesn't necessarily make a game better. In fact, if you've been reading any of my posts, you would understand that none of the Wii games I've been talking about are great solely because they have new control schemes.

I think you're thinking about this wrong. I mean... come on. You're trying to explain that the Wii's missing potential is in being a glorified mouse. Why? That's the problem with many a poor game design on Wii - they look at the controller abilities and think of it as just a mouse pointer or some other arbitrary add-on.

I can't believe I'm saying it again, but Galaxy has some of the best design, best gameplay, and most fun moments of any game I've played in a while. It's not because of any gimmick - it's purely the design and gameplay. If we were to compare games to film - Call of Duty or Metal Gear might be the big epic blockbusters with good story and cinematography, while Mario Galaxy would be all about the excellent film making. The sheer excellence of the craft apparent in Galaxy should resonate with anybody who is a fan of games or game design.

amtalx
Feb 10, 2009, 05:34 PM
I think we're just going to have to accept that game design is subjective on a lot of points. :p Galaxy's use of gravity was compelling and well implemented, but outside of that, I wasn't particularly blown away.

Shadowpawn
Feb 10, 2009, 06:42 PM
I'm usually alone with my opinion of Mario 64. However, I have gotten a few of my friends to admit retrospectively that it wasn't the 2nd coming of platformers. I actually disliked that game so much that it dissuaded me from getting an N64 during that generation's time frame. I went with a Playstation and just played my friend's N64.

You may have hated it but I was pretty innovative at the time. It introduced the world to what would eventually be called the "sandbox" gameplay by allowing players to roam in a fully interactive 3D environment. Not to mention that it also helped paved the way for the analog stick, something that is a stable of modern day gaming.

amtalx
Feb 10, 2009, 07:40 PM
That's true. It did contribute a lot to the 3D platforming genre. While the mechanics worked, it just wasn't...fun, for me at least.

thunder-ray
Feb 10, 2009, 07:57 PM
Im gonna make my point when I say this. I love every mario game that i have ever played. And I know for A fact that im going to love super mario galaxy (whenever I can get some money to buy a wii >_<).

Zarode
Feb 11, 2009, 01:32 AM
Let me tell you a quick story,

God I'm gonna need a beer, won't I?

back in 2006 a friend of mine convinced me to pick up an Xbox 360 and since June 2006 I've been hooked.

You poor thing. :wacko:

In this time I also owned a Wii and sold it "used" last X-mas 2007 for a profit.

Instead of selling it second hand for money. Huh, would've never thought...

haha!

"Take that, Nintendo!"

I currently have no reason to pick up a PS3 at the moment,

THEN DON'T. God I hate kids, I need another beer...

I've been playing video-games since 1981

Ugh, eff me. You are OLDER then me...

and I've owned just about every major console in that time, including a Neo Geo & Turob Duo ( I'm in the US )

I'll add that to your e-peen credit card.

I'll most likely pick up a PS3 when it's below $199,

I, uh, don't honestly seeing that happen any time soon, sadly...

but with all the multi-platform games there really is no urge to buy it.

What games?

Here are a few more reasons:

Spare me.

I do not want to re-buy my 250 DvD collection on Blu-ray

PS3 can play DVDs just fine.

I do not like Metal Gear Solid ( I loved the first though )

The fourth one is weird and stupid, and not really worth playing...

I do not want to "play" Little Big Planet

Eh, enjoyable whenever you are smashed.

I do not like God of War

Too bad, it is actually pretty good. :shrug:

I don't want to play Killzone 2

Eh. Halo for the PS3, if you ask me.

I like cross-game chatting

What, you think PS3 people are HAPPY that they don't have that?

I do not want to look at Home

Nobody does.

I do not want Manditory Installations

Lord forbid you have to take a smoke break in order to play a game. Pro tip: Don't get into PC gaming, I heard they do this too. :roll:

I do not need a Wi-fi connection

Ethernet port, right in the fucking back of the system, dipshits.

Just because of my prefrences I had a friend who would call me an X360 Fanboy and Anti-Sony,

No.

even though I own a PS2 & PSP...

Eh.

and still consider the PS2 the best system ever.

You've got a bad taste for games...

In all of my years of playing video-games I've never seen 2 systems ( PS3 & Xbox 360 ) so similar in their releases and basically the same quality,

Heh, okay...

though tech-nuts will tear-apart anything to find a microscopic difference.

Hah...

Though one was $200 more at launch, and offers functionality I don't want or need.

Real time weapon change.

I also like niche Japanese titles, Culdcept Saga, Tales of Vesperia, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Eternal Sonata, Project Sylpheed, Guilty Gear 2...

Besides Tales and Sonata, those are all pretty bad games...

and I look forward to OneChanbara in a few weeks.

Lemme guess, an anime game?

So for some reason my "tastes" make me an rabid Xbox 360 Fanboy?

Because you have bad tastes in games, clearly.

But every-single exclusive game that comes out for the PS3 will "save teh system" I'm tired of this crap...

How does the last sentence and this one connect with each other in any way? Proof read, people. And "teh system savours" are just rabid PS3 fans going crazy over games. Although the PS3 is pretty game dry.

I had to cut this friend off because of his fanboyism.

HEH MAN U SO COOL NOW, oh wait, irony~

It's so funny because he was the one that convinced me to get an X360, but NOW it's such a terrible system because of the 3-red-rings-of-death...

My 60 GB PS3 has yet to give me any problems, and I had a 360 blow chunks at me. Yes, such an exceptional system...

it's called a Best Buy 2 Year Warranty...

Microsoft gave an extended warranty, did they not?

I've actually made $$$ from the price-drops and got a 60GB HD in the process :-)

YO DAWG U RICH NOW $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I guess what I'd like is for people to leave me alone and let me play my video-games,

Yes, I'd love that, but Naruto123465 will not stop sending me game invites to Left4Dead...

not try to paint me as a fanboy...

Hah, you did that yourself.

I didn't pick up an original Xbox until 2005, and only played 4 games for it, Fable, Halo, Halo 2 & Forza. Does that make me a PS2 /GCN fanboy?

No.

This SYSTEM WARZ reminds me of the SNES / Genesis War that I witnessed first-hand... I remember I was branded a Genesis fanboy because I wanted blood in my Mortal Kombat. :-)

Drink the blood of your enemies. (blood is overrated, just like a lot of things in gaming and gaming systems)

Welp man, that was an interesting read and all, but you basically labeled yourself as a fanboy. Good job.

Kion
Feb 11, 2009, 03:32 AM
You're arguing that the various sequels are too similar? It's pretty clear that you're not that familiar with the games you're talking about, so I'll give you some leeway, but you're trying to argue that a game you haven't played is too similar to another game you haven't played. Do you see the problem there?

actually i haved played every mario, literally. i find them extremely fun, but i`m tired of the core elements (same with zelda, metroid, ect.). I`d rather spend my $50 buying something at least different, if not inovative or new.

I realize that RE, Fatal frame and crystal cronicals are all as well sequels, but not ones i have played the previous games for (Except for RE).

rayner
Feb 11, 2009, 05:48 AM
Welp man, that was an interesting read and all, but you basically labeled yourself as a fanboy. Good job.

That was a fun read, but I'm not going to quote your whole post... this is the rants section right?

rayner
Feb 11, 2009, 07:53 AM
Fallout 3 is an RPG that plays like a broken FPS and is plagued with dozens of missed "we can do it, but why should we?" design questions.

But I understand that some people like these endlessly open-world games, and I can certainly see the benefit to be found in exploring such a massive world, so whatever, I'll concede on being a bit harsh here.

You're entirely right. Adding "waggle" doesn't necessarily make a game better. In fact, if you've been reading any of my posts, you would understand that none of the Wii games I've been talking about are great solely because they have new control schemes.

I think you're thinking about this wrong. I mean... come on. You're trying to explain that the Wii's missing potential is in being a glorified mouse. Why? That's the problem with many a poor game design on Wii - they look at the controller abilities and think of it as just a mouse pointer or some other arbitrary add-on.

I can't believe I'm saying it again, but Galaxy has some of the best design, best gameplay, and most fun moments of any game I've played in a while. It's not because of any gimmick - it's purely the design and gameplay. If we were to compare games to film - Call of Duty or Metal Gear might be the big epic blockbusters with good story and cinematography, while Mario Galaxy would be all about the excellent film making. The sheer excellence of the craft apparent in Galaxy should resonate with anybody who is a fan of games or game design.

The concept of Super Mario Galaxy is interesting to me... I love Astronomy, I teach Physics, but to play another Mario game at the moment is not on my agenda. I do like to watch people play it and it does look fun, and I've given Super Mario Galaxy as gifts to 4 different people. I think the fact is that I'm Mario'ed-out... I'm Zelda'ed-out... I'm Final Fantasy'ed-out... but I'm not Megaman'ed out... never will be :-)

On the glorified-mouse comment, it is what it is... and if they could make a game like a watered-down Starcraft II available on the Wii with click n' drag to form squads I'll re-buy a Wii. I enjoy RTS games, but consoles just can't get it right and make it exciting.

Outrider
Feb 11, 2009, 01:54 PM
The concept of Super Mario Galaxy is interesting to me... I love Astronomy, I teach Physics

That's not the concept of the game nor is it really anything beyond one gameplay aspect (thought not astronomy, clearly). It's a surface detail, overall pretty unrelated to the title itself.

On the glorified-mouse comment, it is what it is... and if they could make a game like a watered-down Starcraft II available on the Wii with click n' drag to form squads I'll re-buy a Wii. I enjoy RTS games, but consoles just can't get it right and make it exciting.

Yeah, uh... I'm gonna stop talking game design because it's going way over your head. It's like trying to talk literature with somebody that keeps asking for more Dan Brown books.

rayner
Feb 11, 2009, 01:58 PM
That's not the concept of the game nor is it really anything beyond one gameplay aspect (thought not astronomy, clearly). It's a surface detail, overall pretty unrelated to the title itself.

Yeah, uh... I'm gonna stop talking game design because it's going way over your head. It's like trying to talk literature with somebody that keeps asking for more Dan Brown books.

Yeah, I only read the Legend of Drizzt by R.A Salvatore so that might be a good idea :-)

Commodity
Feb 11, 2009, 03:58 PM
God I'm gonna need a beer, won't I?

You poor thing. :wacko:

Instead of selling it second hand for money. Huh, would've never thought...

"Take that, Nintendo!"

THEN DON'T. God I hate kids, I need another beer...

Ugh, eff me. You are OLDER then me...

I'll add that to your e-peen credit card.

I, uh, don't honestly seeing that happen any time soon, sadly...

What games?

Spare me.

PS3 can play DVDs just fine.

The fourth one is weird and stupid, and not really worth playing...

Eh, enjoyable whenever you are smashed.

Too bad, it is actually pretty good. :shrug:

Eh. Halo for the PS3, if you ask me.

What, you think PS3 people are HAPPY that they don't have that?

Nobody does.

Lord forbid you have to take a smoke break in order to play a game. Pro tip: Don't get into PC gaming, I heard they do this too. :roll:

Ethernet port, right in the fucking back of the system, dipshits.

No.

Eh.

You've got a bad taste for games...

Heh, okay...

Hah...

Real time weapon change.

Besides Tales and Sonata, those are all pretty bad games...

Lemme guess, an anime game?

Because you have bad tastes in games, clearly.

How does the last sentence and this one connect with each other in any way? Proof read, people. And "teh system savours" are just rabid PS3 fans going crazy over games. Although the PS3 is pretty game dry.

HEH MAN U SO COOL NOW, oh wait, irony~

My 60 GB PS3 has yet to give me any problems, and I had a 360 blow chunks at me. Yes, such an exceptional system...

Microsoft gave an extended warranty, did they not?

YO DAWG U RICH NOW $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Yes, I'd love that, but Naruto123465 will not stop sending me game invites to Left4Dead...

Hah, you did that yourself.

No.

Drink the blood of your enemies. (blood is overrated, just like a lot of things in gaming and gaming systems)

none of this is true

DreXxiN
Feb 11, 2009, 04:03 PM
So Rayner's a 360 Fanboy, and Outrider is an EXTREME Nintendo fanboy and will stand by his nintendoz pwning regardless of facts or arguments Cuz fallout 3 is teh suxor.

inb4"SALESLOL!!!!!!"

Any takers on the ps3 fanboy so this thread can be locked?

Outrider
Feb 11, 2009, 06:16 PM
So Rayner's a 360 Fanboy, and Outrider is an EXTREME Nintendo fanboy and will stand by his nintendoz pwning regardless of facts or arguments Cuz fallout 3 is teh suxor.

inb4"SALESLOL!!!!!!"

Really? Didn't see any fact-based arguments coming my way.

(And you've clearly never stepped into some of the other game argument threads - It's hardly just Nintendo that I defend, though I clearly love their games.)

I consider myself a games buff, so of course I'm going to wedge myself into the discussion when people are making claims as experts on the surface value of a title or series. If you told a film geek that Citizen Kane was a terrible film or a book snob that Faulkner is a hack, you'd get the same response.

Retehi
Feb 11, 2009, 06:21 PM
I consider myself a games buff,

lol of the year.

Kent
Feb 11, 2009, 10:29 PM
lol of the year.
Really? Care to expand on that some?

'Cause typically, lols are attributed to fanboys and such being the subject of said lols, rather than people who can actually output a constructive commentary.

Alnet
Feb 11, 2009, 10:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH2w2l1JTs4&feature=related

Don't get the wrong idea, though, I do have a PS3 and a Wii. :wacko:

Outrider
Feb 12, 2009, 02:15 AM
Really? Care to expand on that some?

'Cause typically, lols are attributed to fanboys and such being the subject of said lols, rather than people who can actually output a constructive commentary.

Ah, let him have it as a freebie. I was getting a little too heated, anyway.

I often forget that not so many people are as absolutely insane about gaming as I am.

rayner
Feb 12, 2009, 08:34 AM

inb4"SALESLOL!!!!!!"

The PS3 Fanboy definitely doen't visit this site... maybe I just should accept that I'm a X360 fanboy... until the next system that comes out and satisfies all my gaming needs :-)

Edit, or when Shin Megami Tensei comes out for the PS3... then I'd buy one just for that game.