PDA

View Full Version : something I can't seem to understand about the PS3...

majan
Jan 30, 2009, 01:03 PM
the price range seems to be rather retarted,in my eyes. how is a refurbished, 20-gig PS3 only 30 dollars less than a brand-new 80-gig trim?also, why is a 60-gig refurbished trim 30 dollars more than an 80-gig brand new one? this is confusing.

could anyone shed a little insight before i go waste 400 bucks?

beatrixkiddo
Jan 30, 2009, 01:07 PM
You're looking at eBay prices?

The 20 and 60 are more expensive because they stopped making them. Those two models were built containing the PS2's Emotion Engine core. However, this caused a lot of overheating problems, so Sony stopped making them with the EE cores. Only those 20 and 60s with the EE core are backwards compatible with PS2 games, so they're somewhat more sought-after.

It didn't make a difference to me, I still have my slim PS2 and it works fine, so I didn't want to spend extra money on a PS3 that had features I didn't need!

amtalx
Jan 30, 2009, 01:31 PM
There is also an 80GB version with software emulation of the EE. However, production has stopped on that as well. Regardless, go buy a PS3. Killzone 2 looks mucho sexy. :p This is actually only about the second time I've been excited to own a PS3.

Kylie
Jan 30, 2009, 01:44 PM
There is also an 80GB version with software emulation of the EE. However, production has stopped on that as well. Regardless, go buy a PS3. Killzone 2 looks mucho sexy. :p This is actually only about the second time I've been excited to own a PS3.
Was the first time when you met me? :-)

But yeah, the price of the PS3 is one of its flaws.

majan
Jan 30, 2009, 01:45 PM
ah,I see. that makes sense. thanks. and the prices were from ebgames.com.

Inazuma
Jan 30, 2009, 06:48 PM
the original 2 models of ps3 (20 gig and 60 gig, i think) are the very best way to play ps1 and ps2 games. full hardware BC and 1080p upscaling, along w/ being able to save your progress to the hard drive makes them more valuable than the current ps3 models on the market.

i bought a jp 60 gig ps3 just to play ps1 and ps2 games and the upscaling is awesome.

is there any way to play other old game consoles w/ upscaling? like is there some external box i could run the cables through and have it upscale for me? mega drive games look like shit on my HDTV ><

Aisha379
Jan 30, 2009, 07:28 PM
I bought a 20 gig PS3 that was hardly used at all with two wireless controllers, Resistance, and 300 on Blu Ray for $350 on eBay.

One of the best deals I've ever gotten on there (people were afraid to bid cause the guy had 0 feedback I guess).

Kent
Jan 30, 2009, 07:35 PM
Simply put, the original 20GB and 60GB models of the PlayStation 3 have hardware backwards-compatibility. That is, they have hardware that supports PlayStation 1 and 2 games.

The first 80GB PlayStation 3 model (the one bundled with Metal Gear Solid 4) supports it via software - the same way that the Xbox 360 supports original Xbox titles.

However, all models currently being produced to not support PlayStation 2 games at all.

is there any way to play other old game consoles w/ upscaling? like is there some external box i could run the cables through and have it upscale for me? mega drive games look like shit on my HDTV ><
You know what upscaling does, right?

Regardless, you're not going to get games that are that old and use that kind of hardware to "upscale" and expect a quality increase. The vast majority of games for that console are sprite-based, so therefore, running them in a higher resolution will just make the game look like a pixelated mess... But bigger. A 256x224 resolution image will look like crap when you try to put it on a 1920x1080 display, no matter what you do.

Inazuma
Jan 30, 2009, 07:55 PM
Simply put, the original 20GB and 60GB models of the PlayStation 3 have hardware backwards-compatibility. That is, they have hardware that supports PlayStation 1 and 2 games.

The first 80GB PlayStation 3 model (the one bundled with Metal Gear Solid 4) supports it via software - the same way that the Xbox 360 supports original Xbox titles.

However, all models currently being produced to not support PlayStation 2 games at all.

You know what upscaling does, right?

Regardless, you're not going to get games that are that old and use that kind of hardware to "upscale" and expect a quality increase. The vast majority of games for that console are sprite-based, so therefore, running them in a higher resolution will just make the game look like a pixelated mess... But bigger. A 256x224 resolution image will look like crap when you try to put it on a 1920x1080 display, no matter what you do.

well, how do you explain ps1 games looking much better w/ the ps3 upscaling? if thats possible, then it should be possible for other consoles too. if the mega drive is no good, what about the saturn?

*edit* just remembered that i also use the "smoothing" option on my ps3. i bet thats what prevents things from looking like pixelated messes.

Kent
Jan 31, 2009, 12:41 AM
well, how do you explain ps1 games looking much better w/ the ps3 upscaling?
Because there's a difference between 3D graphics and sprite-based graphics.

DreXxiN
Feb 3, 2009, 09:21 PM
300 on Blu Ray eh? That's one hell of a deal, but when I rented it on blu ray, it was incredibly grainy. xD. I read up some stuff online, and apparently this is just how the movie is.

Zarode
Feb 4, 2009, 01:05 AM
ah,I see. that makes sense. thanks. and the prices were from ebgames.com.

Oh, that's an easy one. Gamestop is a corporation. They want money.