PDA

View Full Version : when to use FM skills

Inazuma
Feb 4, 2009, 01:55 PM
besides tornado dance, majara and jarbroga, what other skills are useful? in other words, in what situations are they the very best attack to use? for example, if you can kill a stray enemy w/ the first combo of gravity break, is it the best attack to use in that situation? it doesnt have to always be about killing monsters either. are there some skills worth using for knockback?

from my experience w/ forces, i learned that every single attack tech has situations where its the best move, even megiverse. is this also true for FM, or is it true that most skills are 100% useless and should never be used? even if a skill only has one rare situation where its the best move, i want to hear about it.

Tyreek
Feb 4, 2009, 02:00 PM
Have you tried using Spiral Dance? It is good for all around combat. And it is basically knockdown/knockback the whole time.

Inazuma
Feb 4, 2009, 02:22 PM
ive used some spiral dance but im not sure when its better than majara. in what situations would it be the very best attack to use?

Darius_Drake
Feb 4, 2009, 02:42 PM
For laying down the smack down on smaller and mid sized creatures I find Anga Redda very useful. I actually feel that Anga Redda is more useful overall than Anga Jabroga is. Anga Jabroga seems nice on certain bosses and slow multi-hit box creatures like Kogg Nads (sp?), but overall it isn't really party friendly. I can do nice damage with Anga Redda and if I don't use the 3rd part I won't scatter the creatures all over the place making the rest of the party happy. Some creatures won't get knocked back (Volfu) and for those you can go ahead and just attack the third part and watch those numbers fly.

Also Dus Robado is a beautiful pa as well. This is especially nice for creatures that like to gang up on you. As long as those creatures aren't megid users you are good to go. Also the knockback doesn't come to the third part of the pa which means that again this is a party friendly pa.

beatrixkiddo
Feb 4, 2009, 02:44 PM
Spiral is the best for any of the horse-like enemies, Carriguine, Gainozeros, etc. They won't be flung back by the second stage, and it's a lot harder to interrupt than Majarra is, since each stage of the combo flinches/knocks down big enemies in some way.

DreXxiN
Feb 4, 2009, 02:47 PM
Spiral Dance is better than majarra at 50 for killing bigger mobs, and I actually generally use Tornado Dance on things with no knockdown like Orcdillan.

Redda I don't bother using because I feel it's a dumbed down Gravity Break that hits a higher number (personal opinion) and Dugrega isn't too useful though it is insanely hard to level, same with Absolute dance.

I beleive all spears have their uses, like Daggas is great against Deghanna because you can stick to his back and like, "Ride on him" while attacking xD.

Robado actually has insane range and I prefer it over Tornado Break because I beleive the DPS and reach is better, and is often good for mid-low HP very aggressive mobs (Vahra's, Badira, usually on lower ranks)

I haven't found a use for spinning break except that it can hit some traps/switches that you shouldn't be able to hit as a FM =P.

Gravity Break I'd only use on extremely high % swords or well grinded repca's with a decent % as it's the best single target cleanup a FM has to offer, but until then, you can use Spiral Dance to clean up. (It really doesn't make a HUGE difference though, unless you are solo number crunching for TA for a personal record, swords are more of a novelty item.)

Darius_Drake
Feb 4, 2009, 03:08 PM
Actually Redda is like Gravity Break, just like Tornado Break is like Dus Robado. I like that fact. It allows me to only need one full set of each weapon and not need doubles. What I mean is that if I have a situation where I need to use Dus Majarra on a mission against an ice creature I set Majarra to my fire spear. If the same mission would show a spot where I could use Dus Robado on an ice creature I don't need to fret about having two fire spears, I just pull out my sword with Tornado Break on it. If I happen to need the Gravity Break from the sword or something like it, just pull out the fire Axe with Anga Redda and all my bases are covered. Instead of having multiple fire spears I can focus on getting the highest % spear and using my different pa's to make my pallete more versatile. Anga Dugrega is hard to level, but if you want to know how to use it, here is a hint. It can flinch or drop a creature with each part of the pa. Sound familiar (Spiral Dance)? Each pa available to the fighmaster is really useful in this type of fashion, except Spinning Break. I haven't figured that one out just yet.

Cracka_J
Feb 4, 2009, 03:17 PM
Well I don't have a capped FM yet (pa wise) but here's a couple I really enjoy so far besides majarra, jabroga, tornado:

• Dugrega. Personal favorite axe pa. It is horrid before you have the full combo, but when it gets to be around 31+ it's extremely rewarding to use. I used to hate it also, but Jose forced me to level and learn it's power (lol). Anyway, it has huge damage modifiers on the 2nd and 3rd parts, and knockdown, and 2x target hitting. I just capped mine yesterday, I absolutely love it.

• Daggas. Daggas is a very underrated pa when compared to majarra. True, majarra is better overall, but daggas seems to be much easier to control in situations, and hits multiple targets on big enemies. Quick, fast, solid and controllable spear pa. Good stuff.

The swords are ok, tornado is really fast now with the FM speed boost, while gravity is (and has always been) the better for "big numbars". Spinning is just bleh. I'd say go with tornado if you wanted a good base sword pa, then go to the others if need be.

I haven't used DS's that much besides transport. I do have 40 spiral/gravity but I haven't used them for quite a long time now and can't remember the big differences lol. Absolute is trash. Don't level it unless you want a fully capped FM, haha.

That's about it I guess. But yeah, dugrega and daggas are 2 of my favorite fighter PA's. I'd give them a good look (and remember to get the full combos) before passing judgment on them.

Darius_Drake
Feb 4, 2009, 03:53 PM
Does anybody like Spinning Break???

desturel
Feb 4, 2009, 04:04 PM
I beleive all spears have their uses, like Daggas is great against Deghanna because you can stick to his back and like, "Ride on him" while attacking xD.

I haven't found a use for spinning break except that it can hit some traps/switches that you shouldn't be able to hit as a FM =P.

Spinning Break can be used in place of Daggas on Degahna. It's also good for chasing down Shagreece and Zoona since it jumps forward.

The problem I have with Spinning Break is it's far too linear for the amount of targets it hits.

It hits 2 targets 4 targets 4 targets. When are you ever going to get 4 targets lined up in an area where Spinning Break will hit? I didn't even know it hit more than two targets until I was leveling it up one day in Tunnel Recapture on Drua Gohra. If you CAN hit all 4 targets with Spinning Break, it's almost as strong as Gravity, but the horrible area of effect makes it much weaker than the move's actual potential.

lantis-zagato
Feb 4, 2009, 08:20 PM
As for axes I never really cared for them much but I wanted to change from Fighgunner to master and so I leveled them all to 21 before the master classes came out. Once I changed I tried all of them again and I find that redda is very useful at disposing of small to medium sized targets in one combo. To be honest it's probably the skill I am using most during this event.

As for spears, I like them all but don't use them that much because I'm trying to level other stuff.

Swords I was all excited about before I actually switched but in general I find myself using an axe because it just seems more efficient. I must admit I have leveled these skills the least of everything a fighmaster can use. They are stuck around 30ish.

Double sabers are flat out awesome if you ask me. When everyone first heard about masters every thing I read said that dub sabers were only good for moving around the maps quickly but I have found all of them have their uses. Absolute I don't love, but I don't hate it either. Once you start to get it up there and the accuracy mod increases you can get some surprisingly large numbers if you use it sparingly and in the right situations. It tends to knock enemies all over the place. The polty room is nice for leveling this skill (along with every other skill) because you need not worry about knocking creatures too far away.