PDA

View Full Version : AotI Winter Carnival Not living up to its hype?

God_Shiden
Feb 9, 2009, 10:14 PM
This a simple discussion on your thoughts about the event itself.

I want to put it in sections of Pre-Magashi and Post-Magashi

THIS IS NOT A FLAME TOPIC. IF YOU WANT THAT GTFO.

I just want voice a small opinion and hear and reflect on yours.

I believe Pre-Magashi Was the best time for the event in the sense that it was new to everyone we all wanted to try the missions out but I also believe we were given the short end of a stick in the lack of variety in the missions, dont get me wrong I love the missions as much as the next guy but In reality all i see is another overcrowded White Beast lobby. Sure the higher exp, meseta, and mp is great but its just doing the same mission over and over again with a boss at the end.

I wish I could say Post-Magashi was the embodiment of the carnival in itself but in my opinion Magashi pretty much killed it. Parties werent being formed anymore becuase anyone who wanted a repca decided "hey lets just spam magashi for 20years until we I find A freakin agito with a horrible % while having a locked game" Now most player were eihter 1. Bored to death with the mission, 2. Decided it wasnt worth it or I guess 3. Decided to just try to play anyway. Its amazing in how in 2 weeks we dropped from 6 pages of parties to 1 or 2 while 70% of the or locked and or full. In my opinion, I would have those parties back than a 3spawn boss whos' chances of dropping a rare weapon or slim.

But then again this is just opinion, Feel free to voice yours. Also to 360 players explain your experience with this carnival since I only play ps2/pc it would be nice to get a second opinion.

Gunslinger-08
Feb 9, 2009, 10:16 PM
I'm having a good time every time I log on. I want a Repca, but I'm not grinding for it. Maybe that's why I'm still enjoying it.

Libram
Feb 9, 2009, 10:17 PM
It should get a lot more interesting in that final week.

buzyb77
Feb 9, 2009, 10:37 PM
not much in the event I wanted....

I have played it a little here and there....

got my 2 low levels up to 110 and 112...got bored... as there is vey little that my 2 150s want...or my 2 110+ want.... This event could have been skipped as far as I am conserned....

as when I have Played it..for the exp I find myself reveting to playing eiter sols or with friends as people only want to speed run... skip mobs clean out areas solo and get to the boss .....tired of exp killers.....

I may play some more but most of the time during this event I have been playing Last Remanant.. and having 10x more fun....

Proto07
Feb 9, 2009, 10:49 PM
I prefer doing Magashi runs to fighting Mother Brain (she doesn't even drop Armas Line!1!!), Zoal Goug, Magas XLR, or doing that chitty Frenzied Sparks.

The best part of this event is the group of fire polties on block 2 of Charged Puzzle.

Freeze
Feb 9, 2009, 10:50 PM
I've used the mission mostly for leveling up my secondary characters and PA's. I have to say I am disapointed in the items for trade. Most of my zonspheres have gone to PA fragments for my techers disks. I try to keep my games open and have played with a few people who joined. That's been a nice change as I refuse to spam WB anymore and spend most of my time soloing other missions.

necman
Feb 10, 2009, 12:01 AM
There are currently two missions nobody plays. everyone is interested in repcas. Nothing else matters so yeah it's boring. I tried starting a game but everyone whines if we don't speed run and look for repca. If you run the carnival night and day of coarse it will get boring. That's your fault not the carnivals. Only a handfull of people don't run the same missions constantly night and day in this game. It's too bad the main mission has to have 2 or 3 people to complete everything or I would just solo to rid myself of the constant whining. Other then that it's good. Mostly when my friends are on even thou it's not that often these days.

ChibiBecca
Feb 10, 2009, 12:22 AM
i've yet to even fight magashi, i seem to keep joining parties that are bored of that boss already and want to maul mother brain instead. ^^; (then again, i solo a lot due to not being able to spend large amounts of time online lately)

Powder Keg
Feb 10, 2009, 01:06 AM
I like the Carnival, but I really can't stand the bonus missions. I think there's a fine line between a challenge and flat out ridiculous-ness when you can just die in one hit. I'll probably just end up buying the stuff I want...ha, yeah right, they'll be 70+mil. :)

Kylie
Feb 10, 2009, 01:11 AM
I like the EXP, and that's honestly all I really wanted. It does suck that they did their same old crap and released the event in its infancy just to build onto it because that makes me so burned out that I get to where I can't even enjoy it anymore when it gets to its entirity, but I expected as much. Still, I'd rate this one as my third favorite event beneath the 1UP Cup and Firebreak.

Tetsaru
Feb 10, 2009, 01:28 AM
Some of the bonus/side missions were pretty cool, but I enjoyed the Parum GBR a lot more. New missions, higher difficulties for existing missions, bunch of new items, and an event that at least somewhat promotes teamwork to get rare items. With events like these, it's just spamming the same mission over and over again until you find what you want - BOOOOORRRRRING. =/

DreXxiN
Feb 10, 2009, 01:40 AM
I've actually enjoyed myself leveling alts and gimping myself, as well as PA leveling. The racing is sketchy but I LOVE the PvP mission. The magashi area is beautiful and in a very small party he(they) are very fun to fight. No disappointments here.

And the bonus mission is one of the very few attempts from SEGA to make the game challenging without being extremely annoying in my opinion (except stage 3). The stages are rather neat and strategical, and I lvoe it.

I think mostly everyone's disappointment was from having WAY too high of expectations like this would be the savior of our PSU's.

_Vyser_
Feb 10, 2009, 02:36 AM
I've been spending most of the time leveling my techs, but I'm having a great time so far. I'm a huge fan of the bonus missions because of their difficulty. The only problem I have with them is trying to get a group of 4 to do the mission (I'd rather duo it with my friend, but that's just a waste of tickets). With the right equipment and a good focus, the bonus missions are not impossible. Just kill things before they get to you and watch out for pink spots on the map. It's too bad the mission stops after stage 10 currently :/

Anyone from the JP servers know if any part of this event stays in the past-event area? I'd love to play the bonus missions from time to time for a good challenge (even if they take out all the event rares).

XeoFLCL
Feb 10, 2009, 04:07 AM
It's all about the bonus mission for me. I've honestly had the most fun there, if anywhere. The event mission is fun, but I only do it for the aforementioned bonus haha. As for Magashi, it's pointless in my eyes, considering what droops in the bonus mission, you'll end up having better luck getting tons of drops from that and selling them then finding a gimped agito repca board.

Palle
Feb 10, 2009, 05:37 AM
My expectations were low. Thanks to the MP, I avoided spending more than 2 days as a Fighgunner. Now I can quit soloing Winged Thunder and go back to hunting over-priced Units.

Winter Carnival has been everything that I'd hoped for. Actually more, since the event missions counted towards me getting Illusionary Shaft twice.

Magician
Feb 10, 2009, 07:04 AM
For me its been more about "polty alley" to level arts, along with the xp and mission points to level my alts, and less to do with the agito repca and psycho wand board. Thanks to the boost I've gotten my third alt to a character level in the high seventies in under fourty hours.

Although I was really hoping to receive the magazine wand as a reward for finishing the airboard race, but instead we're stuck with a poor reward. That's the only thing that has disappointed me about the carnival thus far.

Calsetes
Feb 10, 2009, 09:04 AM
I'm also enjoying the carnival event. I wish that I could get some of my friends together and maybe do some free mode airboard surfing for fun every once in a while during missions, but I found the best way to keep things varied is randomly mixing up the block order you go in, fighting a different random boss every now and then, etc.

I do wish that more people would play instead of just spam stuff in the lobby, and that they wouldn't always lock their parties. Then again, I'm one of those nice guys who would join a party, someone says "I want XX when it drops" and I'd say "No problem, I'll give you the first one if I get it, would you help to get me one too then?" They seem to be a pretty rare breed (at least, on the PC servers...)

rayner
Feb 10, 2009, 09:11 AM
I've leveled my alt Fortetecher to lv 100 and I basically took each tech to lv 21 from lv 1... some to 31 with the Poltys. The Bonus mission is nice, but I wasted a bunch of Tickets on alpha, where on beta getting Mugunruk boards is not hard with 3* Luck and they sell for 5 million... wish I saved like 5000K tickets from the first half :-(

Ail
Feb 10, 2009, 09:18 AM
carnival? is not yet started for me. it will whit bosses at the end of bonus mission :-?

Akaimizu
Feb 10, 2009, 09:32 AM
Polty Alley, as Magician stated, is a pretty good part of this event. Plus it has given me a great chance of levelling my other characters and raising their PA levels.

It's pretty fun, and it's always nice to see some new stuff there. I'm looking forward to what my characters will be, by the time the event is over. I'm sticking with Carnival because I don't want to miss out on what it gives you. I'm also looking forward to when the Carnival ends so I can get back, full time, to hunting some elusive and (not-so-elusive) items that participation in this event has shown me that I need. Much of those not-so-elusive items are for my alts, but player shops are charging a bucketload for them because they're taking advantage of the Carnival taking away many folks from playing the areas they drop in. For good reason, mind you. Still doesn't take away the fact that they aren't hard to get.

I still haven't done the hoverboard race. I'm not expecting anything out of it except to participate in it. I just want to do something in the game that isn't the typical PSU combat/synthing/selling portion of the game.

Dhylec
Feb 10, 2009, 10:40 AM
Pretty much everything done in moderation is more enjoyable than endless grindings. Those who run the event day in day out, there's nothing much can be done w/what given. It gets boring - fast!

Q.U.I.C.K.S.I.L.V.E.R
Feb 10, 2009, 10:50 AM
I think the event is living up to the hype. We haven't received much of anything from Segac, but now things are looking much better. The item exchange doesnt really excite me in this event (except getting the electro heart) because I enjoy collecting the extra slot units lol. Now that World of illusion beta is released, I can get my hands on those mugunruk boards that everyone had overpriced prior to the event.

OldCoot
Feb 10, 2009, 12:11 PM
The carnival is doing a great job and helping me to level my characters to game max. Been wanting to do this for a long time.

Now instead of having several characters that are too low of a level to play most of the S2 runs out there, they are now approaching 150 and can easily step into a S2 and run it well.

I think this event is great and I will do my best to get the most out of it. I also see new players who can get their first character leveled up so they also could play the S2 runs when the event is over.

autumn
Feb 10, 2009, 12:26 PM
I've been having a blast in the carnival ^_^ Its been really good for leveling up my alts which was all I wanted from it, I'm working all of them to over 100. I'm also contemplating recreating my 150 seeing as I have another character at 146 now so I'll have someone to run till I get my main back up in levels (she's too short and too pudgy T_T)

BioWarrior
Feb 10, 2009, 01:12 PM
I stopped playing after magashi came out. I keep getting into Partys where the leader boots everyone after the gate combination is entered. My xbox avoid % went from 10% to 23% because people avoid everyone in the group after the leader does that it's bull

amtalx
Feb 10, 2009, 01:17 PM
I ran for an hour or so the first night the event started, but haven't logged in since. It seemed interesting though...

Alnet
Feb 10, 2009, 01:32 PM
I'm a little burnt out on the Mission Carnival after doing a day or two of Magashi runs. And prior to this, I was leveling Burning Shot from the ground up, so I was already feeling rather bleh.

I've been playing Castlevania Chronicles, Soldner-X: Himmelsturmer, and Soul Calibur IV in the meantime. Even though I've been getting my butt handed to me, it's enough of a change of pace to keep me playing those.

mvffin
Feb 10, 2009, 01:42 PM
The reason it was hyped up so much is because it took so damn long to get to us. And now that its here, we basically grind for spheres to save for the last week, which gets pretty old. The polties really are the best part, as I now have 4 elemental lasers at 41+. Hope to have the other two filled out, and my twins at 31+ before the last week. Basically, just level your PA's and save your spheres, all the good drops will be here soon.(hopefully)

Noblewine
Feb 10, 2009, 02:36 PM
I'm a little burned out of the event but I return and try to get the event only items. I like the racing and bonus mission they are really fun.

Sidney
Feb 10, 2009, 02:55 PM
I have been loving the event; I really haven't had a dull moment. I think even grinding can be fun if you do it with a great group of friends. :lol:

NDW
Feb 10, 2009, 03:06 PM
wish I saved like 5000K tickets from the first half :-(

5,000,000 tickets huh? That's a lot! :o

God_Shiden
Feb 10, 2009, 03:10 PM
I'm really glad to see how much this thread has developed. I really wish more 360 players would put in their 2cents though, but then again I'm not complaining.

I'm also glad that atleast some people found the event to be enjoyable whether it may be tech leveling with polties or leveling alts in randoms.

Neith
Feb 10, 2009, 03:38 PM
Not the worst event for me, but it's not a patch on 1UP. (MAG was my worst event, even as a PSO fan I hated it because spamming one mission for TWO instances of the event was ultimately too much for me. I look forward to MAG+. :disapprove: ). The Carnival is much better now that we have extra missions/routes though. When we only had the first lot of Charged Puzzle stages, I was getting really bored, and only playing to level a character to S. Now that we have the newer missions, I'm kinda having more fun, but it's still not amazing.

However, the airboarding is a nice change, and the bonus missions are awesome. It's just a shame that Charged Puzzle (except Magas/Magashi) is so dull. Maybe if the areas were mixed up a bit it'd help. 2 weeks or so of spamming constant Il Cabo/Pavilion stages was horrendous. It's improved since AMF Central Command stages were added, but it could still use more, in my opinion.

darkante
Feb 10, 2009, 03:39 PM
Polty is heaven for Laser Leveling, if only one didnīt get bored doing it.
That would rock. :S

desturel
Feb 10, 2009, 03:42 PM
I really wish more 360 players would put in their 2cents though

Okay 2 cent worth:

The Carnival is fine. EXP is through the nose. Money is easy and plentiful. I have too many boards, but that's okay. Not bored with the run since there's a good amount of variety. My pattern:

60 mins of Bonus mission runs for quick easy MP.
90 mins of Magashi runs for Repca (Quake, Flame, Mirror or Shock Blade, Flame, Mirror)
60 mins of Maggas Runs (Flame, Quake, Shock Staff or Flame, Shock Blade, Mirror)
30 mins for one "kill everything" run (normally ending in Maggas or Magashi, sometimes we beat up on Zoal).

So that's it, although I guess that's a bit more than 2 cents worth

Yusaku_Kudou
Feb 10, 2009, 05:46 PM
Honestly, I thought it was pretty boring after the second day. I'm not complaining, though, just waiting for stage 11 for my Yasha..!

_Vyser_
Feb 10, 2009, 05:49 PM
I've noticed the population is pretty small on the PC/PS2 side for an event. Just curious, are most of you waiting for stage 11 to be released? I don't blame you if you are. The only point to doing the bonus missions is for fun/practice currently.

Dragwind
Feb 10, 2009, 05:54 PM
The population on PC/PS2 for an event this time around is the lowest I've ever seen. Despite that though, I've been having a good time re-uniting with some old friends, and making new ones.

In terms of the event content, the first part didn't amuse me much as all I was interested in was Rattlesnakes. With the current setup we have, I find it enjoyable enough to switch between the bonus and repca hunting.