PDA

View Full Version : IGN are such trolls

Darkly
Feb 13, 2009, 04:22 AM
Eughh - http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/953/953114p1.html

why are they bringing it up again, ok the article is a balanced view sure, but its just bringing up a stupid old argument that should have never took place in the first place.

Oh and ironically im doing the same, but this rant is more at the point that there isn't the need to bring this up again, because its just pointless.

Besides anybody seen the new 50 cent game? thats a lot worse: American rappers go to the middle east to kill terrorists. - now personally i find it all so over the top its silly and not racist but, shouldnt that game set off more alarms?

ahh whatever, im just sick of these websites starting up arguements that dont need to happen.

Mike
Feb 13, 2009, 04:27 AM
I don't see anything stupid about it.

Darkly
Feb 13, 2009, 04:37 AM
Care to elaborate? My main point is just that even posting the article is creating more of a fuss about it. The article isnt too bad if im being honest.

Tyreek
Feb 13, 2009, 04:39 AM
I didn't see this much of an uproar in Resident Evil 4, weren't the people getting shot up in there Hispanic? God dammit this story is taking place in Africa, so of course there's gonna be Black zombies. And dammit, even Chris' partner is Black. I just can't percieve the racism going on. Some are just too quick to jump to the racism card, and honestly, I'm quite annoyed.

Midicronica
Feb 13, 2009, 05:59 AM
Is it ok if I use your topic just to say that I hate Hilary Goldstein? I guess I already did. Sorry. :(

afterthoughtz
Feb 13, 2009, 08:09 AM
People need to grow up and get over this crap, how many friken games are the bad guys white.....A LOT MORE!!! This whole racist card is getting REALLY REALLY annoying. 3 months ago my girlfriend and 3 of her friends walked into a a Mcdonalds around 10-10:30, few minutes later 3 (african americans/black whichever you prefer and view is non-offensive) walks in and start harrasing them, manager tells them to leave and they wont, tryin to get my girlfriend and their friends to go to a party at their house, i live 3 minutes away so my girlfriend called, i was there in about 45 seconds (lol) anyways i get there walk up to them and told them to back the F**k off my girlfriend, imediatly they said "we're tired of you racist whites, you just dont likes us cause we're black" ARE YOU SERIOUS!?!?!?!? I'm there defending my girlfriend, races has nothing to do it with, GROW UP AND GET OVER YOURSELVES!! If it was any other nationality i would have handled it exactly the same way!

EDIT: And to prove i'm not racist, tell me where i was racist in that situation and i'll gladly change my ways

Sol_B4dguy
Feb 13, 2009, 09:11 AM
I'd comment, but all I really have to say is this: You can't spell ignorance withou IGN.

Kion
Feb 13, 2009, 09:49 AM
lmao. i thought the article was pretty objective. "The entire game i was shooting black people, which i didn`t think was racist, but others might, but i did find it alittle unsettling." In someways it is easier to shoot what you don`t recognize as human, that`s the whole point of zombie games. In having other races and not american or japanese they`re may be trying to keep their audience comfortable in someway, but that would be neglecting the fact that all of the resident evil`s up until four took place in America! For the game itself if they do a good job of describing and developing the story; that there`s a reason the virus broke out there, then it shouldn`t be a problem imagine fo the game took place in china, the middle east, ect. There are alot of countries that do weapon trafficing (not excluding the us, but interms of the international comunity), anyone of them can be painted pretty poorly from that perspective.

If people are able to accept it for a content and not the cover then it shouldn`t be a problem, but people tend to judge based on what they see- oh wait that`s racism. Anyways, if it affends you don`t buy it. In games there`s always a bunch of people dying. This time just because there are black zombies insteed of white zombies everyone is freaking out. If race really doesn`t matter then it shouldn`t be an issue in the first place. If our nation is able to over come the race barrier and ellect a black president then we should be able to have black zombies.

Darkly
Feb 13, 2009, 09:59 AM
If race really doesn`t matter then it shouldn`t be an issue in the first place. If our nation is able to over come the race barrier and ellect a black president then we should be able to have black zombies.

agree with this completly.

also Midi, i hate hilary goldstein too :)

amtalx
Feb 13, 2009, 10:02 AM
I think an article like this is pretty valid.

Not too long ago, someone at Gamespot I think, brought up the point that no one should be making any decisions about whether RE5 is racist or not because the game isn't available yet. Taking a few screenshots snippets of gameplay and labeling the game as racist is foolish because everything is out of context.

However, now there is enough of the game available to reviewers to actually make an informed decision. As industry figures, and people with access to information that most don't, its their due diligence to address peoples concerns. Just because you don't agree with what other people are saying doesn't mean the issue should be ignored altogether. You said yourself that the article is balanced. What's the problem?

Aisha379
Feb 13, 2009, 10:47 AM
World War Two games: No sensitive race issues (despite being significantly more recent than slavery)

Call of Duty 4: Blowing up Russians and Middle easterns that actually HAVE EVIL INTENT = Hey no problem there

Resident Evil 4 : Shooting Hispanics turned mindless by virus = Fine with that

Every other FPS: Killing white people, along with your obligatory black and/or hispanic teamate(s) = Fun fun fun

RE5: Shooting virus infected Africans....in Africa = OH SHIT RACIST ALARM RACIST ALARM

I might offend some people with this (though I honestly don't care, because my friends and I know myself well enough to know I'm not racist, so who cares what you think?) but - why is it only blacks that complain about this stuff?

Would it be different if ALL the main characters were also black?

Some crazy African Americans seem to think a lot of us white people get some sort of twisted sexual pleasure out of abusing fictional black people (seriously, I've heard people say this). Really now? Cmon!

I think if any black people find RE5 offensive solely because of this, they should be dropped off in Africa so they can all be happy together with no white people around to be racist. (Oh no wait, THEY CAN'T, because Africa is a nation full of civil wars and alleged "ethnic cleansing" amongst its own people!)

tl;dr - LOLOLOLOLOL....*facepalm*

afterthoughtz
Feb 13, 2009, 11:04 AM
Well put Aisha379:)

Outrider
Feb 13, 2009, 11:20 AM
I think you could easily fill an entire rant with just how ridiculous and ignorant IGN is (and yes, Hilary is one of the worst), but I actually think that article is one of the better pieces they've put out. It's a legitimate discussion.

But yeah, IGN is just ridiculous - it's a bunch of fanboys who think they're legitimate journalists. (I seem to remember hearing that during the game of the year discussion a few years back, several of their editors were arguing against a couple games for being in the running - when it turned out that none of them had even booted those games up. They're professionals!) I haven't been an IGN regular in almost a year, but there were really only two or three writers there who were worth reading.

Solstis
Feb 13, 2009, 02:36 PM
So, a white guy writes an article about RE5, and white people come on the forums complaining about black people pulling the race card.

Good job. Rage against the machine, Aisha. You tell 'em.

(You see how I just assumed that everyone responding to this topic is white? Haha.)

Aisha379
Feb 13, 2009, 03:15 PM
I wasn't complaining about the article, just the situation itself. The article seems fairly unbiased as far as I'm concerned.

Though I don't understand why they are bringing this up again when the "controversy" around it has already been played out months ago (maybe cause its getting closer to the release date, I unno).

Outrider
Feb 13, 2009, 03:28 PM
Well, what I believe Solstis is pointing out that it's really not valid for a bunch of white people to be claiming that the situation is not racist.

Which is true. It would be nice if we could look at RE5 without this racial bias, but especially in the US, there's still too much recent history and too much of a stigma relating to interracial violence to simply ignore it. It's not like RE4; If there were years of white American violence against Spaniards or years of this race being portrayed as monsters, then it would be a fair comparison. Unfortunately, these terrible things are still prominent in the public consciousness, still fairly recent in our history and still very real to a lot of people.

Do I think that the situations in RE5 were created with any sort of malicious intent? No, I don't. But if people are offended by it, I think that it's at least relevant enough to have the discussion.

afterthoughtz
Feb 13, 2009, 03:43 PM
I think whoever is offended by this game needs to grow the hell up...

Tyreek
Feb 13, 2009, 03:44 PM
I understand that they have a right to discuss the issue of using Black people as zombies in a game. but seriously... It's freaking Africa people, of course there is gonna be a huge majority of African people. Same with any other country with a dominant race. No better, no worse. Hell, I am Black, and I wasn't even phased in the slightest at what I saw. Now, for something entirely placed into racism, let's use this example.

"The Racoon virus infects only Blacks. Any other race is unaffected."

See how racist that turned out compared to this plotline? But we know the virus doesn't do that. It infects all things organic INDISCRIMINATLEY.

Aisha379
Feb 13, 2009, 03:53 PM
Well, what I believe Solstis is pointing out that it's really not valid for a bunch of white people to be claiming that the situation is not racist.

Which is true. It would be nice if we could look at RE5 without this racial bias, but especially in the US, there's still too much recent history and too much of a stigma relating to interracial violence to simply ignore it. It's not like RE4; If there were years of white American violence against Spaniards or years of this race being portrayed as monsters, then it would be a fair comparison. Unfortunately, these terrible things are still prominent in the public consciousness, still fairly recent in our history and still very real to a lot of people.

Do I think that the situations in RE5 were created with any sort of malicious intent? No, I don't. But if people are offended by it, I think that it's at least relevant enough to have the discussion.

But why Resident Evil? There are games WAY worse that actually portray racial stereotypes as black people being illiterate, ebonics talking womanizing thugs, but no one gives a shit about that.

Far Cry 2 is also very similar to RE5 in terms of the environment, but no one cared about that either. What makes RE5 more of a big deal than everything else? Thats honestly what I don't understand. I can comprehend why people can find games racist, just not RE5 specifically.

Vanzazikon
Feb 13, 2009, 04:09 PM
@Aisha: Maybe it's popularity or the mutilation of Africans by a Caucasian person, just giving out some possible factors.

Do I view RE5 as racist? Nah. It's understandable that the majority of the "Infectees" are blacks, being in Africa and all.

Do I agree with the article? Don't really care.

DreXxiN
Feb 13, 2009, 04:19 PM
Wow..are you fucking kidding me? This is still floating around?

I'm not racist but WOW guys, grow the HELL up! My fucking God, it's just A-Okay for Chris Rock to go on stage and make every white joke on the planet (don't get me wrong, a lot of them are funny), but as soon as shit like this pops up, OMG BLACK HATERS. RACIST. RACIST.

I mean the other day I mentioned on my black newman, "Charles!" That I wanted some KFC (which I did), and some people came up to me and seriously went (wtf you racist bitch. stfu, stfu, stfu, die white trash).

I mean are you fucking kidding me?

I'm sorry but if African Americans really have a problem with feeling any form of negligence from other races torwards there own, there really shouldn't be all the "WE GOT A BROTHA IN THE WHITE HOUSE" (He's HALF white, by the way) and "BLACK POWERRR" and all that BS.

Can you imagine the uproar if there would be a Caucasian College Fund? Think about it.

CAPCOM better start making all of the folks in Africa rendered in white so then no one will have a problem. Because that makes fucking sense.

Vanzazikon
Feb 13, 2009, 04:27 PM
Wow..are you fucking kidding me? This is still floating around?

I'm not racist but WOW guys, grow the HELL up! My fucking God, it's just A-Okay for Chris Rock to go on stage and make every white joke on the planet (don't get me wrong, a lot of them are funny), but as soon as shit like this pops up, OMG BLACK HATERS. RACIST. RACIST.

I mean the other day I mentioned on my black newman, "Charles!" That I wanted some KFC (which I did), and some people came up to me and seriously went (wtf you racist bitch. stfu, stfu, stfu, die white trash).

I mean are you fucking kidding me?

I'm sorry but if African Americans really have a problem with feeling any form of negligence from other races torwards there own, there really shouldn't be all the "WE GOT A BROTHA IN THE WHITE HOUSE" (He's HALF white, by the way) and "BLACK POWERRR" and all that BS.

Can you imagine the uproar if there would be a Caucasian College Fund? Think about it.

CAPCOM better start making all of the folks in Africa rendered in white so then no one will have a problem. Because that makes fucking sense.You do know the posters in this thread, including the OP agree with you right? :wacko: They know that some people are looking at it in a narrow view and should think about it more instead of throwing accusations or judgements.

DreXxiN
Feb 13, 2009, 04:31 PM
You do know the posters in this thread, including the OP agree with you right? :wacko: They know that some people are looking at it in a narrow view and should think about it more instead of throwing accusations or judgements.

I know, I just was posting my own rant inside this rant because things like this really anger me and annoy me. To be honest most of my RL friends ARE ethnic (Mostly Mexican, some African Americans and some White people). I'm just glad they aren't this ignorant, I can't possibly imagine befriending with people that truly think this is racist.

On a side, joking note, Who was that black guy in Halo 2? I can't recall his name, but he was INVINCIBLE. WHY CAN'T THE WHITE MEN BE INVINCIBLE WTF WHY CAN'T THE BLACK MAN DIE RAAAAGE. IMBALANCED GAME WITH RACIST PROGRAMMERS GAWD.

lol, but anyway, I wasn't telling the thread-posters to grow up, just the people that take offense to this. There's MANY worse things out there. >_>

Aisha379
Feb 13, 2009, 04:35 PM
CAPCOM better start making all of the folks in Africa rendered in white so then no one will have a problem. Because that makes fucking sense.

But then people would complain that the developers aren't portraying Africa in a "realistic" light!

(I could actually see that happening...and thats the sad part).

Darkly
Feb 13, 2009, 04:51 PM
But then people would complain that the developers aren't portraying Africa in a "realistic" light!

(I could actually see that happening...and thats the sad part).

Yeh, it actually would :(

I honestly just feel like if the first few games journalists who suggested in the first place that some people might feel like its racist i wouldnt be here moaning about how im tired of it.

Solstis
Feb 13, 2009, 06:42 PM
You people are weird.

My point was that the creator of the article is white.

Therefore, people claiming that they're NOT RACIST but that BLACK PEOPLE NEED TO STFU are probably much angrier and prejudiced than they think.

Maybe some Black people have vocally complained about RE5, but I'm not sure why that's relevant right now. The article was merely an objective discussion. This is a troll topic, I have trolled you, you have trolled me, let's all be happy.

Everyone is prejudiced. It's just a thing. But, seriously, "I have X friends" only makes you look bad. I've done it too, I think we all have, and you really need to reflect when that's your defense.

Oh, and the article writer is probably a douche, yes. He wants his page views, y'now?

Oh #2. There's a Negro college fund because of slavery. Historically, Blacks were, and in many cases, still are at a disadvantage when it comes to education. Remember? Couldn't legally vote until the 60s in the South? Do they not teach these things?

Oh #3. Yeah, I am totally overreacting.

Retehi
Feb 13, 2009, 07:10 PM
Therefore, people claiming that they're NOT RACIST but that BLACK PEOPLE NEED TO STFU are probably much angrier and prejudiced than they think.

I don't think so Tim.

astuarlen
Feb 13, 2009, 07:49 PM
Without getting into the merits of this particular article or this particular case (don't have enough info or perspective, personally, to add something sparkling and new re: RE5), I think it's a Good Thing that more people are reflecting on the social implications of/in video games (beyond beating the dead horse of gross violence). Maybe we're moving towards a more serious appreciation of games as cultural vehicles. Maybe I should take my pompous, prattling posterior on tour. Brb, contemplating farting/speaking puns

Sinue_v2
Feb 13, 2009, 08:12 PM
Some crazy African Americans seem to think a lot of us white people get some sort of twisted sexual pleasure out of abusing fictional black people

Hmm... I dunno... I spent far more time than I should have trying to get a clear view of Sheva's cleavage. Although how abusive that twisted sexual pleasure would have to be up to her. Yeah yeah, it's pathetic. I know. Bite me. She's hot.

As for RE5 as a whole, I think Yahtzee was pretty much on the ball when he stated that RE5 putting us closet racist westerners in a very morally unsettling position torn between hidden elation and abhorable disgust to be a part of the whole "Horror" aspect when turned upon self inflection. The kind of pure genius that can only come from pure luck. I'm of the mind to think that RE5 could do fairly well just selling to the inbred teenage "Coon Hunters" - and the bigwigs at Capcom will be completely clueless as to what the "magic" was in this title.

Kylie
Feb 13, 2009, 10:15 PM
I agree with you, Darkly. 100%.

Honestly, I'm not even going to bother reading that article, so I don't know if they were saying its racist or defending it. It doesn't matter. Its ridiculous to me that they would even bring it up now, when its obvious that Capcom did something to pacify the babies calling it racist. The demo has a lot more white people, Hispanic people, and even some Asian people in it that I doubt used to be there. I think that's absurd, but I guess they had to do what they had to do. Anyway, the discussion is over with. Dead. Leave at that, IGN. It's not even worth talking about.

Outrider
Feb 14, 2009, 02:24 AM
I just find it shocking how defensive so many people in this thread are getting.

People are forgetting perceived and actual intent.

The actual intent here (I believe) was Capcom choosing a setting for their game without any sort of racial bias. A member of the dev team said they liked the sun-drenched and lone wolf setting of Black Hawk Down, so they wanted to try and ape that a bit. In addition, RE:0 referenced something going on in Africa, so I'm assuming there will be throwbacks to that.

Ok? I think we're all agreeing here that a bunch of isolated Japanese developers wouldn't think much about a big burly white guy brutally murdering a bunch of savage, inhuman black guys.

But it's different in the US. For a long, long time, the social norm was that black people weren't equal to whites - that they weren't even human. If you seriously think that the public consciousness isn't going to do a double-take when seeing something that's somewhat reminiscent of a dark part in our nation's history, then you're out of your mind.

Now, I'm not saying that the perceived intent (that this is supposed to be some sort of racial dominance) is valid. I'm not even trying to argue that IGN should have or have not written the article. But trying to dismiss the discussion because you're not offended is not only wrong but would probably do more harm than good. I'd like to think that we wouldn't have to go into this, but when we had a rant (or was it off-topic?) thread a few months ago with dozens of PSOWers trying to argue that using a racial slur was the proper way to refer to a group of people, I feel like we've got a problem.

DreXxiN
Feb 14, 2009, 03:31 AM
I hardly think tuition funds for those with African American heritage is relevant to slavery over almost 200 years ago, otherwise there wouldn't be funds for other cultures as well I assume.

How did I make myself look bad? Did you read the fact that I was posting my own mini rant and not just about the actual article? lol. I didn't talk about the article writer at all, actually, just brought up the fact that I was perterbed that this was still and issue.

Saying black people are the way they are about anything because of slavery is pretty dumb, as I'm pretty sure almost every race has been enslaved and while naturally having some prejudice, I'm open minded enough to know that the African race (at least, if not ONLY in America) is the only one prominent to point the finger at that. (Look at the poor jews! They don't use that as an excuse, hardly.)

Not to mention they wouldn't have even been brought to the Americas if the tribe leaders hadn't actually willingly SOLD them to us for money, but that's for another case (and no, I'm not saying it's right.)

I just hope this isn't a case where they have to change something within the game because of people complaining. I remember, on a slightly related note, that a lot of the Spider-Man movie had to be reshot because many of the scenes had the Twin Towers in it.

Are people this insecure about themselves? I could understand with the families that lost people in the twin towers (though they could simply not watch the movies), but I somehow doubt many black people that have been racially abused from the 1800's-1960's will be playing this game and getting offended.

Kent
Feb 14, 2009, 04:33 AM
Sensible human beings don't actually see a problem with Resident Evil 5 on this level. Besides, it's tired and old and typically the result of someone who made a bet to see who can make an article that gets more views.

http://www.searchviews.com/wp-content/themes/clean-copy-full-3-column-1/images/the_more_you_know2.jpg

Weeaboolits
Feb 14, 2009, 07:02 AM
Why the zombies gotta be white? Black zombies not good enough to be in games? Racist.

Solstis
Feb 14, 2009, 10:31 AM
I hardly think tuition funds for those with African American heritage is relevant to slavery over almost 200 years ago, otherwise there wouldn't be funds for other cultures as well I assume.

How did I make myself look bad? Did you read the fact that I was posting my own mini rant and not just about the actual article? lol. I didn't talk about the article writer at all, actually, just brought up the fact that I was perterbed that this was still and issue.

Saying black people are the way they are about anything because of slavery is pretty dumb, as I'm pretty sure almost every race has been enslaved and while naturally having some prejudice, I'm open minded enough to know that the African race (at least, if not ONLY in America) is the only one prominent to point the finger at that. (Look at the poor jews! They don't use that as an excuse, hardly.)

Are people this insecure about themselves? I could understand with the families that lost people in the twin towers (though they could simply not watch the movies), but I somehow doubt many black people that have been racially abused from the 1800's-1960's will be playing this game and getting offended.

I'm not talking about the game, I was referring directly to your and Aisha's comments.

The point isn't that Black people would or would not get offended. It's that you're claiming that, lol, slavery's influences are gone. Some of those people are still alive, y'know. The people that couldn't vote? The people that got attacked by police dogs? Jews don't need to use an excuse, and neither do black people. The suffering is fact. It does not need to be acknowledged in video games, it does not need to be substantiated on a video game. These things have happened, and lynchings are the sorts of things that tend to linger.

That said, things are certainly better than before, and people independently decide to support the United Negro College Fund. There are scholarship programs for a wide variety of reasons; is being smart and Black not a good enough one?

Also, where the hell are the Black people offended by this game that everyone is complaining about? I have not seen people taking to the streets. I have not seen Black power rallies in retaliation. Why is everyone blaming Black people for the controversy? Sounds like white people getting offended on behalf of Black people, and thus offending other white people. And then the Black folks get blamed. What the hell.

BahnKnakyu
Feb 14, 2009, 01:19 PM
IGN + Fox News = ?

Shadowpawn
Feb 14, 2009, 02:04 PM
IGN + Fox News = ?

Fair, Balanced and Sophisticated journalism respected everywhere on this planet.

DreXxiN
Feb 14, 2009, 02:11 PM
Edited for removal due to Seo posting on my account.

Raine_Loire
Feb 14, 2009, 09:54 PM
Also, where the hell are the Black people offended by this game that everyone is complaining about? I have not seen people taking to the streets. I have not seen Black power rallies in retaliation. Why is everyone blaming Black people for the controversy? Sounds like white people getting offended on behalf of Black people, and thus offending other white people. And then the Black folks get blamed. What the hell.

Seriously... This is totally right. Every discussion of "ZOMG, this game is racist!" Has been started and almost entirely debated by white people. Maybe it's guilt for their own racist minds or something that would cause them to find fault in the fact that small african villages are full of africans.

There is absolutely no reason for this discussion, and the discussion about real vs perceived intentions is completely invalid, because no one in their right mind could say that Capcom's intention was ever to promote racism or any kind of lynching. IS there racism in America? Sure as hell is! Would ANY rational human being think this game is racist? No.

It's not a "what japanese people see" vs "what americans see" either... it's a rational vs irrational. I read somewhere that Capcom added white people in the game here and there to try to quell the cries of racism.

To me, that's even worse.

Zarode
Feb 15, 2009, 01:10 AM
I believe in race equality, thus I equally believe if I am able to headshot a white man, I should be able to headshot a black man in the same sense. :) I got through a game where I had to kill Spaniards. Does that make me racist towards the Spanish?

Kent
Feb 15, 2009, 02:40 AM
Seriously... This is totally right. Every discussion of "ZOMG, this game is racist!" Has been started and almost entirely debated by white people.
You should check your sources better. Are you familiar with a journalist by the name of N'Gai Croal?

I believe in race equality, thus I equally believe if I am able to headshot a white man, I should be able to headshot a black man in the same sense. :) I got through a game where I had to kill Spaniards. Does that make me racist towards the Spanish?
'Tis but a start of the Resident Evil Zombie World Tour, right?

Sekani
Feb 15, 2009, 12:59 PM
It's IGN's job to cover issues that are of concern to their readers. On a podcast last week the editorial staff unanimously said that it was ridiculous that this discussion was still going on, at least in relevance to Resident Evil 5.

Quoted for fucking truth. Black people don't consider anything racist unless the police and/or government are involved :wacko:

Aisha379
Feb 15, 2009, 02:16 PM
Granted its not as widespread as most media outlets would have people believe, but some black people / groups ARE complaining:

http://www.gamepolitics.com/2007/08/01/african-womens-blog-critical-of-resident-evil-5-trailer

So I certainly wouldn't say this whole issue has been started and is continuing to be a "problem" solely due to white people (or black, for that matter).

There is absolutely no reason for this discussion, and the discussion about real vs perceived intentions is completely invalid, because no one in their right mind could say that Capcom's intention was ever to promote racism or any kind of lynching. IS there racism in America? Sure as hell is! Would ANY rational human being think this game is racist? No.

It's not a "what japanese people see" vs "what americans see" either... it's a rational vs irrational.

I agree with this. I don't think anyone here is denying racism still exists in our world today, or maybe even in video games, just that Resident Evil 5 specifically is not a case of this.

Kylie
Feb 15, 2009, 04:23 PM
While people were too busy talking about race when Capcom added white people to the demo, did anyone take the time to realize there's no women in the demo at all? I'm not offended about it because that would be dumb, but you see what happens when people complain about this shit? There was a controversy with RE4 because there were so many women in the game. I wouldn't be surprised if the next Resident Evil, if there is one, had nothing but white male enemies. Hell, why not just make it old, white men? That seems to be the preference of a lot of people.

CelestialBlade
Feb 15, 2009, 04:35 PM
While people were too busy talking about race when Capcom added white people to the demo, did anyone take the time to realize there's no women in the demo at all? I'm not offended about it because that would be dumb, but you see what happens when people complain about this shit? There was a controversy with RE4 because there were so many women in the game. I wouldn't be surprised if the next Resident Evil, if there is one, had nothing but white male enemies. Hell, why not just make it old, white men? That seems to be the preference of a lot of people.
Well said. We could bitch about this stuff *endlessly* when you think about it, and history proves that. Eventually we're going to get to the point where we start whining about how there's not enough female eskimos in games. Because if we don't include them we *must* be racist.

I understand and admire the underlying concept of equality, but at what point does all of this just start getting silly?

Vanzazikon
Feb 15, 2009, 04:42 PM
There was a controversy with RE4 because there were so many women in the game.What? They must've been poor players because when you get past the village, ALL the zombies are males. :wacko:

Shadowpawn
Feb 15, 2009, 04:43 PM

My dear, I take offense at killing grandpa. I say we just shoot dogs and crows, that was awesome back in the day.

Aisha379
Feb 15, 2009, 04:50 PM
Actually I DIDN'T notice there were no women. Probably because I was running from the executioner and chainsaw guy too much XD

Maybe the executioner is a woman! o_o

Kylie
Feb 15, 2009, 04:58 PM
What? They must've been poor players because when you get past the village, ALL the zombies are males. :wacko:
Too many = any at all, clearly. :lol: Talk about sensitive.

Solstis
Feb 15, 2009, 05:04 PM
Quoted for fucking truth. Black people don't consider anything racist unless the police and/or government are involved :wacko:

When is the government not involved? :p

Clearly, RE5 is a conspiracy by the Japanese terrorists to convince Americans to turn against each other.

Where's my tinfoil (who calls it tinfoil, anyway? Can you even get tinfoil from the store?)?

amtalx
Feb 15, 2009, 07:27 PM
All future games will have untextured enemies running in wireframe mode. The color of the wireframe will be changed every 3 seconds at random. Good?

Shadowpawn
Feb 15, 2009, 07:30 PM
All future games will have untextured enemies running in wireframe mode. The color of the wireframe will be changed every 3 seconds at random. Good?

Sounds like Rez, actually.

CelestialBlade
Feb 15, 2009, 08:03 PM
HEIGHT DISCRIMINATION!

Or better: HE HAS MORE VECTORS THAN ME!

Outrider
Feb 15, 2009, 11:55 PM
Seriously... This is totally right. Every discussion of "ZOMG, this game is racist!" Has been started and almost entirely debated by white people. Maybe it's guilt for their own racist minds or something that would cause them to find fault in the fact that small african villages are full of africans.

It's not a "what japanese people see" vs "what americans see" either... it's a rational vs irrational. I read somewhere that Capcom added white people in the game here and there to try to quell the cries of racism.

To me, that's even worse.

Thanks, I'm glad you were able to read my post and understand it- WAIT A MINUTE.

I'd like to point out that while I don't regularly follow N'Gai, so I don't know if he's discussed the issue since, but if I remember correctly, he wasn't making too much of a hub-bub about it. I think he was making a similar argument to what Solstis was bringing up, in that white on black violence still resonates with a lot of people so it isn't really the place for people to outright dismiss it. I don't think he said much more than that - N'Gai's a pretty rational guy. I can't really see him doing any fear-mongering.

DreXxiN
Feb 16, 2009, 04:06 AM
I was actually playing the RE5 demo co-op online with a good friend of Sensei's I met back in Ohio. I saw one white dude; that must have been the white dude they threw in to silence the ignorant westerners.

I must say I'm fairly impressed; it was actually very fun and tactical. You can pass ammo between teamates, press Cirlcle to help them whilst an enemy is latched on them, and help teamates jump to higher points and such. The melee is cool and more interactive now that you can do more than just slice with your knife..

I must say I'm impressed.