PDA

View Full Version : Phantasy Star Zero Original Soundtrack Impressions

BioWarrior
Feb 13, 2009, 01:18 PM
First of all this is a topic created due to people asking me to do this in my other topic.

As everyone probable knows the case is designed to look similar to the PSO OST, the manual is the same image with the back of it having art work resembling the PSO game cases(same image as the guide that came out last month). The CDs have beautiful artwork with Disk 1 featuring the flower field of Makara Ruins, Disk 2 is an image from the fourth stage, Disk 3 is the second half of Dark Shrine, and Disk 4 is the octoboss stage. Disk 1 and 4 also have the artwork seen in the intro of the game behind them(not all of it).

Now for the actual music. If your like me and loved playing the game with headphones you'll enjoy the first 3 disks as that's all it is. It's exact copies of music from the game quality and all and honestly it does sound nice for DS game music. Disk 4 however... thats where the real treat is. It has a good portion of tracks completely redone specificly for the soundtrack. If you enjoy the dark shrine music your in for another treat. They have 2 varients of it on disk 4 for both songs(non combat and combat).

Another noteable thing is the music we here for rappys boomas and black usagis are only for those 3 rare monsters. All the naysayers about the gold bulls being rare all I have to say is based on the OST there's rare music for each area that sounds very similar to the normal combat music and then there's 8 varients of rappy fever for the cutesy looking rare monsters.

Makana kokoro and taisetsu na mono are both the same versions as what's in the game but it still sounds better on the disk. I could distinctly hear instruments I couldn't hear even with headphones on the DS. The OST has jumped up to $72 after I purchased mine but I have to say I'm very pleased with it and delightfully suprised with the quality of the game version tracks. I'm definently enjoying this.

Not sure if Elysion is mentioned in the game but the battle music for eternal tower is called Eternal Steps to Elysion.

landman
Feb 14, 2009, 07:49 PM
Woah, I must get it, but the price is abusive... like the 20th annyversary OST -.-

_Vyser_
Feb 15, 2009, 11:35 PM
Sweet, I'll definitely have to get this.

Woah, I must get it, but the price is abusive... like the 20th annyversary OST -.-

This is possibly the best use of the word "abusive" I've ever heard! I can't stop laughing for some reason.

Niered
Feb 16, 2009, 12:43 AM
Although i do like the music in the series, i dont entirely understand buying a soundtrack for so much cash....especially since your paying more for the soundtrack, a small part of the game, then you did for the game itself.

BioWarrior
Feb 16, 2009, 12:47 AM
Although i do like the music in the series, i dont entirely understand buying a soundtrack for so much cash....especially since your paying more for the soundtrack, a small part of the game, then you did for the game itself.

Well the reason for that is in japan it's the same price as the game since it's so big, but it's also a sega direct exclusive.... So only sega sells it and will only ship to Japanese addresses. Playasia is buying it from sega and reselling it.

_Vyser_
Feb 16, 2009, 03:56 AM
Sega never ceases to amaze me with anything they do anymore.

Sayara
Mar 22, 2010, 02:25 PM
Luckly, now they have the soundtrack on Itunes. So you can pick and choose what you want from everything or all of it.

Akaimizu
Mar 22, 2010, 02:53 PM
For me, I always had the impression that the PSZ music was really made specifically for bigger sound systems than the DS, but then compressed to make it onto a DS. So much of the important instrumentation is just cut out from the standard speakers, on the thing. You can hear how it improves on the headphones, alone.

It's nice that they didn't cut corners to make it sound better for the regular speakers, but at the same time, some songs just sound a lot worse, that way. Almost as if part of the soul was ripped out from them. So yeah, the OST would definitely benefit since most will play these through a better sound system.

The price is definitely heavy, though. I've payed decent money for some Japanese soundtracks before, but never that much for one.