PDA

View Full Version : How does shit like this make it on magazines?

DreXxiN
Feb 13, 2009, 04:12 PM
http://lifestyle.msn.com/relationships/articlecosmo.aspx?cp-documentid=17218149

Does this annoy the hell out of anyone else? I mean honestly, the author of the insert seems like such an unappreciative, feminist bitch.

"Except for the 3 guys that do this and that" and "At least if they broke up with you on Valentine's you'd be able to take a free awesome dinner from them."

Please, way to sound like a money-craving whore.

Tyreek
Feb 13, 2009, 04:21 PM
0_o; What the hell is this?! Whoever these girls dated need to find a new boyfriend. This is bias degrading to the max.

Leviathan
Feb 13, 2009, 04:24 PM
Because things like that are common during Valentines Day.
There is a good side to things bad.
Like articles about post-holiday slump.

It's just bound to happen.

>>unappreciative, feminist bitch.
They are only catering to a demographic. [Which mostly appears during this time.]

Aisha379
Feb 13, 2009, 04:33 PM
>>unappreciative, feminist bitch.
They are only catering to a demographic.

This pretty much sums it up.

These women were hurt due to having bad tastes in guys, and they take out their anger on the whole gender by getting jobs where they can freely bitch.

I mean, cmon, its Cosmopolitan, what were you expecting really? @_@

I do have to agree it is REALLY annoying though. Especially if you aren't the kind of guy the article seems to want to lump every man under (well, all except three of them, apparently).

CelestialBlade
Feb 13, 2009, 05:32 PM
I mean, cmon, its Cosmopolitan, what were you expecting really? @_@
This. You're reading a magazine where the target audience is female. There's going to be extreme feminist beliefs in there, just like you'd find the opposite in a male-targeted mag.

By the way, a real feminist strives for equality between males and females, not female domination as we've been mis-labeled. Chicks who think all guys save for 2 or 3 are going to hurt you are just completely ridiculous, but a real feminist can balance between the statistics and the understanding that not all guys are like that.

But this goes both ways. I read this disgusting article on how Chris Brown beat the hell out of Rihanna, and all these guys were commenting on how she "asked for it." -_- I just hate ignorant people, male or female.

astuarlen
Feb 13, 2009, 07:30 PM
I don't like to consider it good form to say what counts or doesn't count as feminism (that would be kind of impossible, futile, and, some would argue, antithetical to the deepest beliefs of feminists) but I feel safe in saying that the sentiments inspiring this list--and Cosmopolitan in general--are in uncontestedly antifeminist territory.
Cosmo may be targetted at women, but it is a powerfully male-centric publication (which, I suppose, is easy to lose sight of given the general patriarchal disposition of our culture as a whole). Evidence is too numerous to list (and, let's be honest, I've no delusions of convincing anyone here myself).

Solstis
Feb 13, 2009, 07:38 PM
I thought it was funny?

CupOfCoffee
Feb 13, 2009, 07:49 PM
I kind of chuckled too. But as everyone has said, don't go into a cave if you don't want to find bats. The reason they print that stuff is because their demographic eats it up.

Xaeris
Feb 13, 2009, 08:39 PM
I just wish their readers wore signs, or something, so I could steer clear of their useless skank asses.

Sidney
Feb 14, 2009, 12:53 AM
This is why I'm glad I'm asexual. :lol: To me, it's just the day before the chocolates go on sale on February 15th.

What gets me is why people invest so much emotion and energy into this holiday. It just builds unnecessary - and irrelevant - expectations. People forget to appreciate the things that matter in a relationship, and start focusing too much on what gifts are received or what restaurant they end up going to. The women who obsess over how well their partner performs on Valentines Day (in terms of how well of a romantic evening they can create) are out of touch with what matters. I think consistent love, trust and appreciation are much more meaningful and poignant; who cares if he can't be "romantic" on Valentines Day? It's more important that he's a kind and loving person to you everyday. Valentines Day is just one day out of the year. People shouldn't freak out so much about it if it's not an ideal. Life happens. And some people simply just don't have sap and romance in them, like me. ;)

DreXxiN
Feb 14, 2009, 03:35 AM
Oh, sorry about using the wrong terminlogy; I suppose I need to be educated xD. (Or I was just really upset when I read this.)

I'm just confused because I don't think I'd necessarily be called a "Maleist" if I strived for equality between the sexes. XD

DreXxiN
Feb 14, 2009, 11:24 AM
Removed due to Seo posting on my account.

Aisha379
Feb 14, 2009, 12:02 PM
This is why I'm glad I'm asexual. :lol: To me, it's just the day before the chocolates go on sale on February 15th.

What gets me is why people invest so much emotion and energy into this holiday. It just builds unnecessary - and irrelevant - expectations. People forget to appreciate the things that matter in a relationship, and start focusing too much on what gifts are received or what restaurant they end up going to. The women who obsess over how well their partner performs on Valentines Day (in terms of how well of a romantic evening they can create) are out of touch with what matters. I think consistent love, trust and appreciation are much more meaningful and poignant; who cares if he can't be "romantic" on Valentines Day? It's more important that he's a kind and loving person to you everyday. Valentines Day is just one day out of the year. People shouldn't freak out so much about it if it's not an ideal. Life happens. And some people simply just don't have sap and romance in them, like me. ;)

This is all very true.

Anyone who has a loving and caring partner who treats them great all year around but doesn't do something "special" on Valentines Day and it causes them to be bitchy, is.....pretty....dumb....=(

Sir_Satyr
Feb 19, 2009, 08:41 AM
I just came across this, a little late I know. The way I see it, Valentines day is just a Hallmark Holiday for women and by women. If you have a committed partner, every day should be Valentines day be that partner male/femal/whatever. That being said, if women feel the need to pressure men in to some stupid holiday where things are completely one-sided I think women should feel put under pressure to do something nice for thier man. Something a guy would enjoy. Just sayin'.

Kylie
Feb 19, 2009, 01:29 PM
OK, I'm like drooling at that picture on the right of the article. :wacko:

Umm, this chick sounds like a bitch. :lol: She sounds like one of the girls that my buddies would date that I would have to grind my teeth in secrecy and pretend to like her (civil, at least) in front of them because I'd know she was just going chew up my friend's heart and spit it out, but I wouldn't want to say anything because I don't consider my friends' relationships any of my business unless their significant other is abusive. *deep breath* I'm all for stereotyping men and making fun of them, but I do it out of fun. This chick really sounds like a female supremacist.

Sol_B4dguy
Feb 19, 2009, 02:23 PM
One wonders which three guys she's referring to....

I got a slight chuckle out of No. 20, but this article does seem to just be telling every girl, "Watch out, your BF is gonna do one of these 20 things to you!" I can take ribbing on guys in stride, it's when it gets like this I start to get mad.

Shadowpawn
Feb 19, 2009, 02:36 PM
Geez, what is with everyone? Judging by the way it was written it doesn't seem like the writer is being serious at all. It was meant to be funny. Especially with lines like this

7. Handing you a rose cast in gold because "This flower won't die. Just like my feelings for you will never die, baby."

No man would ever say anything THAT corny. Lighten up people.

Cracka_J
Feb 19, 2009, 03:31 PM
hay, don't b hatin' on cosmo.

my wife showed me an article they had in there one time about women teaching how to give blowjobs.
I mean c'mon now, speading that information benefits us all!!

CelestialBlade
Feb 19, 2009, 04:02 PM
hay, don't b hatin' on cosmo.

my wife showed me an article they had in there one time about women teaching how to give blowjobs.
I mean c'mon now, speading that information benefits us all!!
Oh, Cosmo has some *very* interesting information XD Sometimes I pick one up just because they're so fun to read.

Inazuma
Feb 19, 2009, 07:46 PM
the biggest v-day sin guys commit would be... actually celebrating valentines day. the woman that wrote this article is someone you should stay far far away from. she must be a total bitch and gold digger.

Gunslinger-08
Feb 19, 2009, 08:07 PM
the woman that wrote this article is someone you should stay far far away from.

100% true. She did hit a few points that I kinda understood, but the overall attitude was just so damn selfish.

This is the kind of selfish attitude that correlates with all sorts of bad stuff in relationships, like the rising divorce rate, among other things.

Leviathan
Feb 19, 2009, 08:13 PM
Maybe the article is to be taken lightly...or as a joke. :-?

Solstis
Feb 19, 2009, 09:21 PM
Maybe the article is to be taken lightly...or as a joke. :-?

Goodness no. Articles on the Internet are serious business.

Nitro Vordex
Feb 19, 2009, 09:24 PM
No, articles published in a women's magazine that make their way to the internet are serious bidnuss.

Solstis
Feb 19, 2009, 11:38 PM
No, articles published in a women's magazine that make their way to the internet are serious bidnuss.

Yeah, my mistake.

Anyway, everyone knows that Valentine's day cheesy and commercial, but bitter cynics don't make for good partners. if your significant other had any doubts about the relationship, Valentine's Day is not the time to assert your anti-corporate, pseudo-intellectual side (unless you're a hippie, then it's cool).

That's what I got from the article*. By some chocolate, write a poem, just do something nice. If it's a long relationship, chances are, you really don't pay as much attention as you used to.

*Honestly, the article was pretty lame, but some people took it way too seriously. Like, childhood trauma, Red Ryder BB-Gun seriously.

Weeaboolits
Feb 20, 2009, 12:54 AM
What rag are you reading? Oh, wait.

Zero-Sensei
Feb 20, 2009, 04:25 AM
"20. Inviting you out for an evening with him ... and his mother."

Ahahahahah.

But yeah. =D I am annoyed the hell outta by this too.