PDA

View Full Version : So sega does advertise this game

Kion
Feb 17, 2009, 12:29 AM
Just not in english... Popped up when i sent my email.

Reads: Completely free 5 day pc trial. (red circle) Get Started

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z88/kion_01/advertise.jpg

ashley50
Feb 17, 2009, 12:59 AM
of course they do...JP side that is ;p

DesuJet
Feb 17, 2009, 04:59 AM
I think that SoA is just a bunch of translators for SoJ. I also think SoA is getting tired of SoJ's shit and that's the only reason I can come up for the lack up advertisement for this game. That or Sega's too poor to afford the advertising. They did hault production on PSU discs after all...

Kion
Feb 17, 2009, 05:47 AM
The way it seems to work is that SoA is just a couple GMs. They pretty much look over the poluation, give information and hold events. What seems to hold this game up on content is that SoJ is responcible for the coding and testing of updates. ST spends all of their time focussed on JP side or other games and gets around to us only when they feel like it (not often). I don`t know who actually translates this game (probably http://translate.google.com/translate_t#). Considdering all of the katanana in this game, it would take a year of studying college, half a brain, and a dictionary to translate this game.

What gets me for the promotion is that the japanese AoI client is free to download, and they`re giving five (which isn`t too much) free days to the full game. That kind of promotion would do a bit for the population on the pc/psu server or for the 360 it would be better than the ragan demo.

I really wish they would just syncronize updates for the NA and JP servers. The populations can be kept seperate, but they might as well just to both at the same time.

_Vyser_
Feb 17, 2009, 02:06 PM
I'd have to agree with you Kion. If PSU is anything like PSZ in terms of kana usage, it shouldn't be terribly hard to translate. With only 3 months of college-level Japanese, I could read and understand most of what went on in PSZ (aside from the story). Besides, it's not like the "story" in PSU is anything too deep to translate well.

chaoskila
Feb 17, 2009, 02:34 PM
japanese loves MMO's
as for America... they like halo XDD

Calsetes
Feb 17, 2009, 03:02 PM
Heyheyheyheyhey, us Americans don't all like Halo and running around shooting stuff all willy-nilly.

Some people like sports games.

I fall into neither category. Give me a good "Dreamfall" style game and I'm a happy camper. Just no Myst, I hate those friggin' picture-after-picture puzzle games.

_Vyser_
Feb 17, 2009, 03:34 PM
It's unfortunate that most Americans buy the FPS games. I mean, a lot of them are fun, but there's only so much you can do to make a FPS game different from the rest. Oh well, might as well buy what's out there.

Calsetes
Feb 17, 2009, 03:44 PM
The thing that makes me sad about FPS games is that they're compared to one or two games every single time, and that's why I think they're made so similarly.

"Red Faction is a bad game, it's nothing like (awesome FPS out at the time). 2/10"
"Random shooter game is nothing like (stable FPS of the type - Call of Duty / Team fortess class-based shooter, Halo-style classless shooter, Unreal Tournament-style team-based shooter), it totally sucks! -5/100"

I actually tend to stray from the flock when it does come to my FPS games, I like a story and that's about it. I need none of this "mull-ty-play-ur" you speak of, pitiful mortals. I play MMOs! Give me Timeshift or FEAR's campaigns and keep your multiple shooting people!

........Unless it's Resistance 2's "co-op campaign that runs alongside the single-player campaign", then I'll take it.

RemiusTA
Feb 17, 2009, 04:08 PM
That or Sega's too poor to afford the advertising. They did hault production on PSU discs after all...

I think they just realized that nobody was buying their shit anymore.

I cant think of any reason why Sega wouldn't advertise this game here, other than knowing they wouldn't maintenance the US servers for shit.

My guess is they didnt care about us from the jump. This version of the game was simply extra revenue, which is why they did the BARE minimum in getting it over here.

AotI didn't even have voice acting for us. This game is like a port of the jp. game with translated text.

autumn
Feb 17, 2009, 04:38 PM
If you play JP PSU its cool too, they send you emails regarding upcoming events (I don't have an active account and I still get them lol) and probably some other stuff. I can't read hiragana so unless I copy them into babelfish or something along those lines I don't know what all they are for.

Inazuma
Feb 17, 2009, 05:36 PM
i remember seeing some psu tv commercials during anime back when the game was brand new. they must have helped, since over 120k copies were sold in the first week iirc. unfortunately, the online mode was about 99% unaccessable for the first 2 months, so the majority of players quit right away. the whole idea of keeping content locked away is fucking stupid. should have had everything available from day one....

_Vyser_
Feb 17, 2009, 06:08 PM
Doesn't the monitor next to your bed have a purpose in the JP version? It's a shame those options are not used on our servers. It would give the game a little more life if we knew someone cared enough to send us information about in-game stuff (websites excluded).

Inazuma
Feb 17, 2009, 07:51 PM
Doesn't the monitor next to your bed have a purpose in the JP version? It's a shame those options are not used on our servers. It would give the game a little more life if we knew someone cared enough to send us information about in-game stuff (websites excluded).

yeah it does. anytime there is a new update, ST will add info about it. very handy for players who are on ps2 and dont have easy access to a computer.

Kazemi
Feb 17, 2009, 07:51 PM
this is likely why the JP and NA/EU versions are seperate, so they can put more effort into supporting the JP player base. they just leave the rest to SoA/SoE, which have a long history of not being to manage things well...

The way it seems to work is that SoA is just a couple GMs. They pretty much look over the poluation, give information and hold events. What seems to hold this game up on content is that SoJ is responcible for the coding and testing of updates. ST spends all of their time focussed on JP side or other games and gets around to us only when they feel like it (not often). I don`t know who actually translates this game (probably http://translate.google.com/translate_t#). Considdering all of the katanana in this game, it would take a year of studying college, half a brain, and a dictionary to translate this game.considering SoA houses some local development teams and even generates its own games purely for the western market... they're capable of things, they just don't really care to do so with online things. also, ever play the JP version? once you get past item and enemy names, there isn't much katakana (even then not all names are kanji free). some of the kanji even gives JP players problems since they like being fancy in some areas.

Kion
Feb 18, 2009, 04:20 AM
the whole idea of keeping content locked away is fucking stupid. should have had everything available from day one....

advertising, content, and server problems all aside, this is definately the most fucked up thing about this game. My new strategy for playing lately is sign up when ever there`s event... Maybe I would come back for good if all the content was available, but I seem to be caring less and less. There are better run RPGs on the web, for free...