PDA

View Full Version : PSU Next Expansion and platforms?

ChronoTrigga
Feb 17, 2009, 01:37 PM
It's just an idea......but I'd like to see the next PSU expansion w/ 360/PC/PS2 merging, frameskip options for PS2, and added voice chat support for PC/PS2. I mean, look at Final Fantasy XI. It's on PC/PS2/360 all at the same time.....why not us? :)

_Vyser_
Feb 17, 2009, 01:54 PM
Good question. I've heard people say something about M$ being the cause of it, but I have not heard the official word why PSU is any different than FFXI server-wise.

joefro
Feb 17, 2009, 03:20 PM
Cross Platform is supported by Microsoft.
It is not Microsoft, it is lazy Sega.

Next expansion?

lol.

NOT happening.

Ever.

Seriously.

_Vyser_
Feb 17, 2009, 03:22 PM
Ah ok, makes sense that it would be Sega's fault then. Technically there's an "expansion" coming out this Spring for the JP servers, but I can't see a physical expansion coming out for a long time (if ever).

Kylie
Feb 17, 2009, 03:24 PM
Yeah, I don't see another expansion happening. They've decided to go the DLC/"cash shop" route.

http://pso-world.com/news/0308-new-details-revealed-aoti-supplemental-update
http://pso-world.com/news/0312-more-details-japans-upcoming-aoti-supplemental-update

Calsetes
Feb 17, 2009, 03:32 PM
I don't know too much about cross-platform being supported by Microsoft, they allow it for some PC-360 games (like Universe at War, which ironically is another Sega-published game, though I don't think it's developed by them). I think they're just against cross-console games if it's on another home gaming console (i.e. PS3, Wii, or whatever else there is aside from their system).

However, FFXI is on all 3 systems that PSU is on, but then again I think that was something that Square had a say in (i.e. "We can't really exclude the PS2 people, we have this legal document, magical legal things that only big companies understand, dead puppies").
-Edit: I think they also struck up a deal with Sony about it being "THE KILLER APP" for the PS2 hard drive, which wasn't exactly an easy pill to swallow (unless you count a small planetoid-sized pill "easy to swallow") and I'm talking about the hard drive here, not the game.

Either way, I think the merging might be a good idea, but might also be a bad idea. I know if I was on my PC and got booted by someone playing on a 360 because "I wasn't talking using my headset" or something along those lines, I'd be pretty upset and you'd probably still see a clear division in the community - those who play specifically with their respective systems (probably in their own universes, one would hope) and those who play with anyone regardless of what system they're on (and hopefully they'll be in another universe altogether).

One last thought would be on the account numbers - this would probably be the biggest snag in the whole thing, especially if they're numbered the same way - i.e. who's to say person X running around with account number 40001234895 is the Xbox one or the PC one? Who gets to keep their account number? Would "changed" accounts have to recreate their characters? If I was the only person named "AwesomeCoolUniqueName" on the PC servers, and there's someone on the 360 servers with that name, could I change mine?

Anyway, if they did something like this, there'd have to be a LOT of serious thought put into it, and I think they'll just decide to keep them separate if it ever came down to it.

_Vyser_
Feb 17, 2009, 03:43 PM
Personally, I think a server merger would be nice if they did have separate universes for them. I'm sure most people would stay with their own servers, but it would be nice to have the option to play with more people.

As for the accounts, I'm pretty sure the PC/PS2 numbers start with a 3, so that shouldn't be an issue. I'll edit this when I get around to checking it.

XxAntMan215xX
Feb 17, 2009, 03:47 PM
IF we merged servers more people would play this alot more.

Zorak000
Feb 17, 2009, 03:52 PM
I don't know too much about cross-platform being supported by Microsoft, they allow it for some PC-360 games (like Universe at War, which ironically is another Sega-published game, though I don't think it's developed by them). I think they're just against cross-console games if it's on another home gaming console (i.e. PS3, Wii, or whatever else there is aside from their system).

However, FFXI is on all 3 systems that PSU is on, but then again I think that was something that Square had a say in (i.e. "We can't really exclude the PS2 people, we have this legal document, magical legal things that only big companies understand, dead puppies").
-Edit: I think they also struck up a deal with Sony about it being "THE KILLER APP" for the PS2 hard drive, which wasn't exactly an easy pill to swallow (unless you count a small planetoid-sized pill "easy to swallow") and I'm talking about the hard drive here, not the game.

Either way, I think the merging might be a good idea, but might also be a bad idea. I know if I was on my PC and got booted by someone playing on a 360 because "I wasn't talking using my headset" or something along those lines, I'd be pretty upset and you'd probably still see a clear division in the community - those who play specifically with their respective systems (probably in their own universes, one would hope) and those who play with anyone regardless of what system they're on (and hopefully they'll be in another universe altogether).

The orginal reason 360 is seperate is because they wanted to intrigrate various Xbox Live features like voice chat, game invites, and extra menu options to view Gamercards. and this is why it would be impossible to merge (PS2 incompadability, not PC). the reason that the game is PS2/PC and not 360/PC is because it was orginally developed as PS2/PC only, with 360 tacked on 1/4-1/2 way through the dev process.

as for FFXI, they nerfed the LIVE features so the 360 version would be compatable.

RemiusTA
Feb 17, 2009, 03:55 PM
It's just an idea......but I'd like to see the next PSU expansion w/ 360/PC/PS2 merging, frameskip options for PS2, and added voice chat support for PC/PS2. I mean, look at Final Fantasy XI. It's on PC/PS2/360 all at the same time.....why not us? :)

No disrespect to this topic, but i really hate it when people make threads that have titles suggesting interesting information but contain only speculation and opinions on already discussed content.

The_Brimada
Feb 17, 2009, 04:00 PM
Personally, I think a server merger would be nice if they did have separate universes for them. I'm sure most people would stay with their own servers, but it would be nice to have the option to play with more people.

As for the accounts, I'm pretty sure the PC/PS2 numbers start with a 3, so that shouldn't be an issue. I'll edit this when I get around to checking it.

PC/PS2 accounts start with a 2.

The idea of this is nice to think of but don't think its going to happen.

ChronoTrigga
Feb 17, 2009, 04:08 PM
No disrespect to this topic, but i really hate it when people make threads that have titles suggesting interesting information but contain only speculation and opinions on already discussed content.

I'm sorry that you hate things. Perhaps one day you'll realize that hating is not very healthy.

Inazuma
Feb 17, 2009, 05:30 PM
yea the topic title is misleading since no expansion has been announced and it seems extremely unlikely there will be another. but if there isnt another expansion, does ST plan on releasing a brand new MMORPG after psu dies? its really a shame psu has so many problems. if ST would have just spent a little time to fix them, the game would have been a lot more successful. im talking about easy fixes that mostly involve tweeking things. for example, the game should scale in difficulty/rewards for each new member that joins, types and missions should be balanced, and we should be able to use player shops for expensive items, just to name a few.

AerisZeal
Feb 17, 2009, 05:44 PM

PS2/PC is 20XXXXXX and I believe 360 is 30XXXXXX. Further more, if I remember seeing correctly JP PS2/PC is 10XXXXXX, just some unnecessary info there. ^^;

So yes, Id numbers wouldn't be an issue and while this would all be ideal, I think most of the community agrees that Sega is just too lazy to be bothered with this, or most other things. That of course doesn't stop one from hoping, so I'm sure there will be more threads like this in the future as well as more replies to this one. :wacko:

_Vyser_
Feb 17, 2009, 06:04 PM
Ah, thank you for all the corrections everyone ^^;

I hope the next Sega MMORPG (assuming there is one) is on PC and 360/PS3 so we can potentially have updates for the game. No more of this "unlock what's already on the disk!" BS. As I've said before, let's hope the "expansion" fixes the imbalances and that it comes within a reasonable time frame to the English servers (would be a shock if we get it in less than 6 months).

Kion
Feb 17, 2009, 11:35 PM
For Japan, there`s a massive downloadable update to AoI, so I doubt we`ll be seeing news of another exspansion for alooong time if ever.

PSU is a really fun game but ST has done an extremely horrible job of executing it. It would be nice if they did a better job linking the servers. They probably had problems negotiating, but it looks like they didn`t even try to combine the 360 with pc/ps2. That would have done alot for atleast the population. A free trial period for pc, or something better than the 360 demo would be nice to give would-be players a chance to try out game play before deciding to sign up.

Linking the servers with Japan would also be nice. The populations don`t evern have to be linked, but updates being implemented as the same time would be good. Working out new patches is a pain so, ST probably just doesn`t feeling like doign the same thing again and ignores us consequently for content. Even better would be to just have all the content on the disk available and have rotating special missions (GBR) and seasonal lobbies to keep players occupied. Not allowing players to play a game at their will is a load of crap and my personal biggest grudge against this game.

Finalzone
Feb 18, 2009, 01:34 AM
Ah, thank you for all the corrections everyone ^^;

I hope the next Sega MMORPG (assuming there is one) is on PC and 360/PS3 so we can potentially have updates for the game. No more of this "unlock what's already on the disk!" BS. As I've said before, let's hope the "expansion" fixes the imbalances and that it comes within a reasonable time frame to the English servers (would be a shock if we get it in less than 6 months).

You can blame Sony for dropping support for their HD in PS2. Most MMORPG did have "unlock what's already on the disk!" PS2 is still strong and making PS3 version should not be that hard. With the emergence of non-Windows system, it will good to think ahead.

joefro
Feb 18, 2009, 01:42 AM
The orginal reason 360 is seperate is because they wanted to intrigrate various Xbox Live features like voice chat, game invites, and extra menu options to view Gamercards. and this is why it would be impossible to merge (PS2 incompadability, not PC). the reason that the game is PS2/PC and not 360/PC is because it was orginally developed as PS2/PC only, with 360 tacked on 1/4-1/2 way through the dev process.

as for FFXI, they nerfed the LIVE features so the 360 version would be compatable.
This.
Has anyone else noticed that the only Xbox Live features that work on 360 are view gamercard? The whole thing with invites and joining parties doesn't work at all. They really f'd it up, would have been a lot better w/o voice chat/gamercard; then all the trannies could play girl characters without being harrassed(I no kid.)