PDA

View Full Version : From PSO to PSU

Jepp027
Mar 1, 2009, 04:44 PM
I played PSO for quite some time, never played PSU but am buying the Phantasy Star Portable. I figured I would pick up the PSU and try to play it. I played for two hours and was not at all impressed. I am sure it picks up after that but three hours of storyline that was lost on me. I guess it just does not suit my tastes (okay put on your goggles, find the stupid spore thing and un-equip the goggles and equip your saber and kill the spore thing, oh yeah and find 20 more please)

Fact 1: The storyline, I dont want one. PSO was just like, "Hey im the Principal, you're on pioneer 2, go kill those Rappys." -For PSU you have to play as Ethan Waber for like 3 hours and it takes too long just to be able to choose your own character, cause I dont wanna play with him anyhow.

Fact 2: The shops, you have to walk 10 miles just to be able to buy a weapon and traverse an entire city cause you need some monomates. PSO you came up from your pipe and look theres the shops, identify your mystery weapons (whice was neat cause you had to take it to get identified, you get excited even if it was just a Varista)

Im sure these may not be 100% as I could not make it to the full game. The game does have some improvements, I love the Palette system, awesome! Graphically the game was tremendous as well as the enemies size and graphics. As you can tell the thing that upset me the most was why spend hours playing as a character (Ethan Waber) when the game boasts you can create your own customer character. How about in fine print (please note: Cannot create own character until 5 hours of gameplay have passed)

Phantasy Star Portable is certainly not as big as PSU but it 'cuts the fat out' such as running from shop to shop and its just, kill those monsters and find those rares.

I don't want to be flamed, this is just my opinion of a game. It works for some, not for others (I am one of the others)

mll
Mar 1, 2009, 05:36 PM
Yeah v1, offline was a horrible joke. Can't imagine anyone arguing with you there.
Online is a lot better, infinitely better.
PSP is much closer to the online game than the offline version is.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Mar 1, 2009, 05:54 PM
Offline mode in general is nothing more than a glorified tutorial for online mode.

Oh and about the shops. Online, you like never use them. Ok, maybe you'll buy a few things for the first twenty to thirty or so levels, but after that it is almost all drops, mates from the conveniently placed item shops in every lobby, and player shops.

CJ Johnny
Mar 1, 2009, 07:01 PM
Jepp

We may have played on the PSO.
Anyway, You seem to be interested on getting on-line.

Check the link out. When you have time.
Repeart, when you have time.
http://www.veoh.com/users/CJ-Johnny

If you think this can be a spolier then, Don't.
Buy the game, get on-oline, test it in game play ^^

Gibdozer
Mar 2, 2009, 03:02 AM
Would you eat a pizza without cheese on it? Of course not, its the main ingredient, it wouldn't really be pizza without cheese! Come on at least try a real bite before you decide you hate it.

Zyrusticae
Mar 2, 2009, 04:49 PM
AotI is a far cry from the original's offline component.

The story isn't impressive, of course, but playing through with your own character really does add a ton to the experience.

That said, online is much better. Muuuch better.

D1ABOLIK
Mar 4, 2009, 10:40 PM
I agree with you OP. I prefer PSO to PSU even though PSU does have some improvements. PSP to me is alot more fun than PSU. Sure there is less, but they also cut out all of the stuff i do not like about PSU. Offline V.1 is a joke, too bad on the 360 that is still all we have offline.

Phaesphora
Mar 4, 2009, 11:43 PM
Well, I don't think you are doing yourself a service by playing the Offline Story Mode, as I've heard it's painfully bad. As far as Network play is concerned, both games have their shortcomings, but for me, the real staying power of PSO came from the people I had met while trying to save Rico. I'm sure that if I could find people of that calibre on PSU, my opinion of it would be softened in a respect similar to that of PSO.

...but, PSO was a different time. The internet and its denizens have changed starkly, and I don't hope to play more than another month or so before putting PSU down for good.

However, while I can understand the justifications of some for choosing PSP, I simply can't be bothered to spend money to play PSULite on a tiny screen with no one, rather than play PSU on a big screen with ... well, no one. ^^;