PDA

View Full Version : Hair dye ignorance.

unicorn
Mar 1, 2009, 10:16 PM
I hate it when people tell me to stop dying my hair. Or assume I'm ALWAYS dying my hair a different shade.

A lot of people just say it because they can't dye their own hair as loosely as I can.

A lot of people are also just ignorant about hair dye.

1. You probably won't get cancer from dying your hair. In the 80s yes, but the chemicals in hair dye have become much safer than two decades ago. In fact, dark hair dye has a higher possibility of giving you cancer over bleach, bleaching isn't colouring.

2. Hair dye does not cause permanent baldness. It can make your hair fall out, but permanant baldness comes with age or genes.

I just get annoyed with "did you dye your hair again?". I dye my hair a lot, but its not like I dye it every week. Example: I could dye it dark and it will fade quickly then everyone assumes I "dyed my hair again". Or I don't wash my hair for an extra day and it looks dark, so apparently I've "dyed my hair again". Then people start warning me about the dangers of hair colour.

CelestialBlade
Mar 1, 2009, 10:24 PM
I wasn't aware people had such an issue with it, but I've never dyed my hair (I'm a very dark brunette) so I really wouldn't know. You're right though; permanent baldness can only come from genetics really and there's certainly nothing wrong with dying one's own hair. If I had lighter hair I know I'd do it :P

Outrider
Mar 2, 2009, 12:25 AM
So long as you're not dying your hair close to any of the primary colors, I'm cool with it.

I'm assuming you were concerned with my feelings on this topic.

SabZero
Mar 2, 2009, 07:02 AM
Good on you.

Ah, I just prefer to keep human made chemicals away from me as much as possible.
I have some henna based ones (not permanent), and yeh people are asses.

fay
Mar 2, 2009, 07:42 AM
=] with the going bald thing. i found out that men go bald because of too much male hormones.

iv dyed by hair a few times aswell. i love doing it :D

W0LB0T
Mar 2, 2009, 12:33 PM
Reminds me of the shit people give me when i drink Diet Beverages.
"Holy fucking shit man! that will give you cancer, leave holes in you're brain and rot you're teeth"
I usualy respond with "Bullshit!. Gimme some evidence and i may belive you"
If they continue I'll say "Your paranoia is not fucking evidince"

Remember kids. Everyhing is carsonagenic. Going outside will give you cancer. not going outside will give you cancer. just get cancer and die alredy.

But back on topic (PSO-World is not my personal FKL)

You can damage your hair and scalp with Hair dye, if you are a bloody retard and peroxide the tits off your scalp. But if you havent failed at life and can follow directions, its all good.

Kylie
Mar 2, 2009, 01:23 PM
I bleach my hair (sometimes dye it) a lot, and no one has ever complained. Well, there's that occasional brunette that says that bleaching your hair is trashy, but whats dat hater know? :cool: It can damage your hair. I've seen the effects, but there are ways you can take care of it and keep that to a minimum.

Sekani
Mar 2, 2009, 01:55 PM
Excessive hair coloring is NOT sexy. That is all.

hyperacute
Mar 2, 2009, 02:53 PM
Hehehe, I've been dying mine every colour under the sun for the last 15 or so years and it has yet to fall out, recede, go grey or anything. Repeated bleaching and overdying tends to give it a delightful barbie doll hair consistency but when I get to that point, I shave it off and start over or remove the bottom 6" or so as these bits tend to be the most damaged

Rather boring and blue/black at the moment (yay for working in an office) but the neon pink and black dreadlocks I had 7-8 years ago were awesome.

Remember, always remove those split ends and condition condition condition XP

Kent
Mar 2, 2009, 04:07 PM
Remember kids. Everyhing is carsonagenic.
Yowza. I didn't know Carson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Carson)'s influence was still so wide-spread.

(Sorry, had to do it)

I bleach my hair (sometimes dye it) a lot, and no one has ever complained. Well, there's that occasional brunette that says that bleaching your hair is trashy, but whats dat hater know? :cool: It can damage your hair. I've seen the effects, but there are ways you can take care of it and keep that to a minimum.
So, then, why do you change your hair color?

I've always wondered why hair color, of all things, is such a hot topic (no pun intended) among certain people. It seems as if everyone changes their hair to be either blond/blond-like or some sanguine shade - a good example would be my sister, whose natural hair color I haven't seen since she became a teenager - it's been unnaturally either black or sanguine for most of her life, now.

So I guess the question becomes... Is there something wrong with brown hair?

Kylie
Mar 2, 2009, 04:50 PM
It's not that I think blonde hair is better than brunette hair, nor do I think more people will like me as a blonde than a brunette (I've been both -- there's generally no difference). It's because I like how it looks, so it's no different to me than someone wearing a green shirt because they like green. I'm not going to lie about it. I can't say it's good for me or my hair, but I don't think it's as bad as some people say. I've been doing it for a long time. My hair has been brittle before, but there's shampoos and such that can help you avoid that. These days, people even compliment me on how healthy my hair looks. The stuff I use is applied by a professional hair technician, and most of the ingredients are natural. I mean... I understand that it might not be important to you, but I do spend a lot of effort on my "brand." I don't think there's anything wrong with that because I take care of other things as well.

MetaZedlen
Mar 2, 2009, 06:08 PM

Yes, it looks like poop...and that's my hair color too :S

Heh, back to the topic, I used to color my hair black, but that was when I was in high school and I tried out different things for my "image" (in which if you can tell from one of my pictures, my image is EVERYWHERE...).

I don't mind it when people change their hair color, but when you do it just for attention or because it's like an addiction, then you need to consider help my friend...

Leviathan
Mar 2, 2009, 06:20 PM
I didn't think people complain about dying hair. That's pretty stupid. DX
Ignore and continue doing it as long as it looks nice.[And I'm sure it does.] (:

I wish I would dye my hair though. /jealous

Nitro Vordex
Mar 2, 2009, 09:02 PM
If you color your hair, you're not comfortable with yourself.

Prove me wrong.

astuarlen
Mar 2, 2009, 09:33 PM
If you make absurd statements, people will think you're absurd.

Prove me wrong.
Hey, this game is fun.

Anyway, I've never dyed my hair. I think the brown matches my brown eyes nicely, though I've always admired a rich, dark brown-red (not the purply artificial kind).
Alternatively, it's down to equal parts lack of desire and what SabZero mentioned, both of which mean my low-level curiosity on the matter can't hope to overcome the it's-too-time-consuming-and-expensive barrier (it's a low one, but so are trip wires, hey?).

That said, I find it kind of exciting when one of my friends dyes their hair.

I don't, however, feel entirely comfortable with our societal preoccupation with gettin' those greys out. Eternal youth and beauty or go home? Subject for another rant, maybe.

Pheonix123
Mar 2, 2009, 10:26 PM
Yowza. I didn't know Carson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Carson)'s influence was still so wide-spread.

(Sorry, had to do it)

So, then, why do you change your hair color?

I've always wondered why hair color, of all things, is such a hot topic (no pun intended) among certain people. It seems as if everyone changes their hair to be either blond/blond-like or some sanguine shade - a good example would be my sister, whose natural hair color I haven't seen since she became a teenager - it's been unnaturally either black or sanguine for most of her life, now.

People simply find reasons to change something about themselves because of multiple reasons, they think they're either ugly if they don't, they try to fit in, they want to prove a point about themselves, blah blah blah, the list goes on and on, but those are just a few of the reasons.

Nitro Vordex
Mar 3, 2009, 12:10 AM
Yes, it looks like poop...and that's my hair color too :S

You should probably grow up.

I love brown hair on girls. Then again I'm not very picky on the hair.

Except short hair. I mean like man short.

Ugh. <_>

Kylie
Mar 3, 2009, 12:25 AM
People simply find reasons to change something about themselves because of multiple reasons, they think they're either ugly if they don't, they try to fit in, they want to prove a point about themselves, blah blah blah, the list goes on and on, but those are just a few of the reasons.Those are all negative reasons. Maybe some of the reasons you didn't list are positive, and I agree with you if that's the case. There doesn't have to be anything wrong with caring about cosmetic stuff, especially if you do it for yourself and no one else's opinion. I like to personalize how I look. I try to my best to fit my definition of beauty, and if other people don't agree with my definition, that's fine because beauty is subjective.

MeruAmura
Mar 3, 2009, 12:27 AM
While you can take MINOR details about people based on theire Hair Dye it usually isnt a good idea to put people into certain brackets based on it due to it might offend them -true or not- While certian types of people are more ready to do so others groups avoid it entirely or use simmiler shades. Here is a good example
Clique people -AKA th epopular majority- At a highschool will normall stick to colors like Blond/Brown when dyeing theyre hair because its acceptible based on theyre Sub-Culture.
Punk&Emo like to have a multitude of color's and are either set on darker or almost neon like shades of colors
Goth like to have their hair black, red or dark brown because it matches with their culture and the style of clothing they wear. -yes goths are aware of astetic's-
These are all part of a persons culture and is acceptible within the confines of the comfort zones. And while as i said MINOR details can tell you alot they NEVER tell you the whole story.

Lyrix
Mar 3, 2009, 01:14 AM
Blegh, there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with dying your hair, and if anyone tells you otherwise, SMACK THEM UPSIDE THE HEAD! D:<

Given the opportunity, people should be free to change the way they look in order to look how they want to, and if that means dying it a ridiculous color, covering up grays, or just going blonde for a while, more power to um.

And as the son of a hairstylist, I've seen PLENTY of people get their hair dyed/bleached, and I've yet to see one of them lose all their hair/ get cancer. As long as it's done with proper materials and by someone who knows what they're doing, nothing bad is going to happen...yes, ignorance of hair stuff annoys me XD

Sidney
Mar 3, 2009, 02:13 AM
Wow, some of the ignorance in this thread... I can see why LU felt it necessary to rant about this.

When I dyed my hair four years ago - from a dark, chocolate brown to a light honey brown - I didn't do it to fit anyone else's image of beauty, to "fit in", or because I felt inadequate with myself or my dark brown hair. I did it simply because I needed a fun change of pace. The honey colored hair let me wear some colors I had never been able to try before, and it was simply fun to have a different hair color after having years of the same thing.

The upkeep was a pain, so I haven't dyed my hair since, but it was great to have a slightly different look for awhile. Plus, just like makeup and clothing, many people see their hairstyle as a form of self-expression and creativity. I think people should be allowed to express themselves however they choose.

And, if people want to draw such ridiculous conclusions from changing hair color, does that mean if I wear a berry lipstick one day, and a pink one the next, then maybe keep my lips bare the day after that, that I am having an identity crisis? That I hate my lips' natural color? That I hate the way my lips look? Heck no! It just means I wanted to try out some new colors and realize that I can look good in a multitude and variety of ways. Exploring the varieties and possibilities is fun!

Fun can definitely be a motivation, as opposed to all these negative reasons that were listed. If it's not your head of hair, why should you care?

Zarode
Mar 3, 2009, 02:40 AM
Lip stick, like hair color, is a gateway to sin and disaster.

The_Pea_Guy
Mar 3, 2009, 04:48 AM
Dyeing your hair is overrated. Like tattoos, sailors and pirates had them done back in the day. Nowadays everyone has one to feel spechiul.

Outrider
Mar 3, 2009, 12:15 PM
dark, chocolate brown

light honey brown

honey

berry

Hair dyeing sounds delicious.

Then again, maybe this is just a sign that I should have gotten lunch before posting.

Vanzazikon
Mar 3, 2009, 12:43 PM
Dyeing your hair is overrated. Like tattoos, sailors and pirates had them done back in the day. Nowadays everyone has one to feel spechiul.I didn't get a tattoo to feel special, I have my deceased father's name on my left shoulder. Are you saying I'm trying to feel special because I love my father. >_>

Tessu
Mar 3, 2009, 05:51 PM
I don't have any problem with people dying their hair. (Unless it's my sister doing it and I can smell the hair dye. :P) I have partially bleached my hair...twice, I think, because I used to be blonde as a little girl, and my hair darkened a lot when I got older but I preferred it blonde.

Now, with people asking the question "Why dye your hair?", it reminds me of when I asked my mom why women wear make-up: "It's a form of artisic expression. I can't draw on paper, so I draw on my face."

Kent
Mar 4, 2009, 05:30 PM
Now, with people asking the question "Why dye your hair?", it reminds me of when I asked my mom why women wear make-up: "It's a form of artisic expression. I can't draw on paper, so I draw on my face."
...That's a pretty interesting take on it. lol

unicorn
Mar 4, 2009, 05:57 PM
Since people seem to be interested in knowing why people dye their hair, I thought I'd input. Usually I make a rants thread and abandon it (not posting, but I do read), but I think I should try to post about this.

I used to have reeeally bad self esteem in high school so I used to dye my hair frequently, thinking if I changed the outside I would be happier inside. Didn't work.

Now I'm more comfortable in my skin, and hair is really just an accessory. Its changable, so I'll change it. I found that I really enjoyed blonde hair (like Kylie) since it suits my personality and I just love the colour. Right now its brown because I'm giving it time to heal . And my hair is veeery healthy for some reason, I really make an attempt to keep it healthy. I take biotin (vitamin for hair) and try to invest more on products that don't have alcohol or other preservatives that can damage hair. I also don't wash my hair often (every 2 days). So even when I had blonde hair, stylists would think it was healthy. But going blonde reeeally does change the texture of your hair (a LOT. My hair was much more drier, but thankfully, dry hair is easy to style).

I've had bad experiences with dye too though. I went from brown to blonde, to pink, to blonde in 18 hours. I've had blue hair that faded into a very yellow green, etc.

I was just annoyed with people always thinking I'm dying my hair, even when I'm not. Its like people always saying "don't you eat? You should eat more." After a while it just gets annoying.

BahnKnakyu
Mar 6, 2009, 05:50 PM
I honestly don't know why people dye their hair. IMO it doesn't look right at all. It's especially a bad trend amongst Orientals out in the East (we have a ton of immigrants/student visa'd people here in Hawaii). It looks really ugly because of how it conflicts with your hair's natural hair color. I'd rather people just not dye their hair at all - many people look much better that way. Especially Asians - black hair's easier to look at than black hair with splotches of blonde or whatever god awful color you want to put in there.

I get the impression people dye their hair to "make a statement" and/or to attract attention - but I think IMO you generally attract a negative type of attention. Attracting attention through looks seems like kind of a weaksauce way of getting people to pay attention to you - why not use your personality to do it?

I mean, if we're gonna be doing stuff like this, why not give yourself nose rings, tongue piercings and tatoos? Of course, those are extremes but still, my point stands.

Eh, whatever.

Gunslinger-08
Mar 6, 2009, 07:58 PM
I beg to differ. Most hair color is just fine. It just bothers me when a chick changes it to a color that just translates to a scream for attention. That being said, some more subtle colors like maroon do look nice on certain people. I don't have a problem with blonde, but I wish more girls on my campus would be creative. Most of them are "totally natural" bleach blondes. Not enough brunettes. :(