PDA

View Full Version : FFFF...!

Zyrusticae
Mar 4, 2009, 01:02 AM
UUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Video card's fried.

I don't even have the slightest clue what caused it. I left it on overnight (as I usually do), and the next morning it's freezing randomly... and now it's got all kinds of visual glitches and I can't run it with the drivers on. So I'm fucked. Joys. THE WEEK BEFORE SPRING BREAK, TOO! AARRRRGH!

W0LB0T
Mar 4, 2009, 02:04 AM
Looks like you're gonna have to spend spring break *GASP!!!* OUTSIDE!!!

Its hapened to me before. i had a shoddy brand Graphics card and it burnt out on me.
The only thing i can sugest is to make sure you're case is getting enough ventilation, and its probaly best not to leave it on all night.

Zyrusticae
Mar 4, 2009, 02:27 AM
Pffft... I'll probably spend all spring break on the 360 instead. :P

Well, maybe I might actually do something constructive and draw, or somethin'... but, gawd. Being unable to get on PSU on one of the few days I have 3* luck is just... blargh. Curse you, fate. Curse you.

TheOneHero
Mar 4, 2009, 02:42 AM
Fate's telling you to get outside and get fresh air my friend. ;o

Just be careful, I hear sunlight burns gamers.

Rust
Mar 4, 2009, 06:34 AM
Oh, the graphic card on my other computer is pretty much fucked as well.
Can't play most of the games I'd like to on it because I always run into a shitload of bland textures and can't see what the hell I'm doing.

Well, it's not really my computer, I didn't buy it. But still, it could run games better than my laptop do. :wacko:

Zyrusticae
Mar 4, 2009, 12:34 PM
Okay, wtf?

Ordered a replacement from Newegg - second order from the same account - and the next day it's suspended? What?

Christ's sake... My first account was suspended, too, for reasons entirely unknown to me. The hell is that? I've done nothing that could be construed as fraud, nor have I ever initiated chargeback. Whoever did this is full of crap...

Mysterious-G
Mar 4, 2009, 12:54 PM
Ya well, maybe you really just should go...
http://www.outreach.psu.edu/shaverscreek/img/OutsideStill1.jpg

[spoiler-box]'Outside', the new mmorpg for your xbox360!![/spoiler-box]

Zyrusticae
Mar 4, 2009, 12:55 PM
Lulz...

See, the problem still remains...

Once you go outside, what do you actually do?

W0LB0T
Mar 4, 2009, 01:03 PM
To the shops to buy a new graphics card of course

amtalx
Mar 4, 2009, 01:16 PM
You know what's outside? Cancer and natural selection.

Stay inside with your tinfoil hat.

Shadowpawn
Mar 4, 2009, 01:18 PM
I heard you can engage in a mini game with the opposite sex called "flirting." It's hard though because most people can never seem to get past the awkward stare stage.

Argh, and this "job" chore is a pain. You got to work so many hours for so little pay, dude it's like being a slave! I tried getting the stock market expansion pack but I heard it has bugs in it. It gets crashing every time the admin tries to fix a bug, so I don't want to lose any xp or money because of a rollback (like right now the stock market rolled it's data back to 1996 levels, and they STILL didn't find the source of the bug.)

On topic: Why don't you try calling NewEgg and see what the cause of you being banned was? Maybe you can get it fixed?

Zyrusticae
Mar 4, 2009, 01:32 PM
Well, I did send them an e-mail. I can only hope this gets resolved in a timely manner...

In the meantime, I am seriously considering making a jaunt to Fry's to buy a replacement there. What a friggin' pain...

Kylie
Mar 4, 2009, 03:02 PM
"Oh, go outside. Har, har." <--- Lame.

I hope you get your graphic card fixed and have a good Spring Break, enjoying whatever you enjoy doing.

garbagenoob
Mar 4, 2009, 04:52 PM
well u could always stay in an watch naughty movies on 360 an beat it alittle thats wat i always do when im bored,sad,stressed,distressed,happy,angry,mad or feelin mighty randy give a couple of shots u might actually enjoy it?

Kent
Mar 4, 2009, 05:37 PM
Yeah, I've had a video card (and an on-board video chipset that the manufacturer refused to replace despite being under warranty) fry before. Not much you can do about it, unless it's actually defective and under warranty. :/

SStrikerR
Mar 4, 2009, 07:53 PM
See, when your outside, there's a special feature that let's you create your own games, or play already existing games, made by other gamers! And, believe it or not, your friends are actually WITH YOU, and not talking to you via a headset.

Weird shit, eh?

Kent
Mar 5, 2009, 01:59 AM
See, when your outside, there's a special feature that let's you create your own games, or play already existing games, made by other gamers! And, believe it or not, your friends are actually WITH YOU, and not talking to you via a headset.

Weird shit, eh?
Except that you can do (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/xna/default.aspx) that (http://www.littlebigplanet.com/) inside (http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/kodu/), too (http://www.lego.com/en-US/default.aspx).

Zarode
Mar 5, 2009, 04:49 AM
GO OUTSIDE DAWGS ITS NOT LIKE I'LL EVER DO IT MYSELF HURR HURR

Vanzazikon
Mar 5, 2009, 01:12 PM
Lulz...

See, the problem still remains...

Once you go outside, what do you actually do?That's a very good question, Sonny. What exactly should you do while outside? Hmmm. Let me think about that for a bit. We'll I don't know, the boys were always saying lets go out and play some ball. Hmmm... I could drive to Wal-Mart and browse the store for anything I might need or I can go to the mall and look around for some clothes, hand soup, shoes, and... Oh and girls <3. I do feel a bit hungry. Maybe I'll go to McDonalds or something. Hmmm... But still, that's a very good question...

Zyrusticae
Mar 5, 2009, 01:19 PM
See, in my world view "going outside" merely refers to, y'know, actually physically going outside.

Playing sports is playing sports, going to the store is going to the store, going to the mall is going to the mall - the leap from "going outside" to these is simply too much for me. Especially because the latter two involve "going outside" and then "going inside".

So. Y'know. Meh.

Rust
Mar 5, 2009, 01:29 PM
Why did that rant turned into an inside/outside lolwar?

Vanzazikon
Mar 5, 2009, 01:43 PM
Because of his silly little question. :wacko:

Rust
Mar 5, 2009, 01:48 PM
From what I'm reading, he didn't start it at all, but alright, I'll leave it at that.

Axispoint
Mar 6, 2009, 03:19 AM
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa211/ingrsco/13491REALITY_Worst_game_ever_.jpg

I read this thread and just couldn't help thinking of that picture :)

DreXxiN
Mar 6, 2009, 03:34 AM
I'm actually apalled and legitimately confused that a bunch of Phantasy Star nerds are telling an OP to go outside.

Zyrusticae
Mar 6, 2009, 02:12 PM
Such is the nature of the internet.

I tend not to take it very seriously. I think you should do the same.

Retehi
Mar 6, 2009, 02:19 PM
Probably half the people telling this guy to go outside, have the skin complexion of The Joker.

Shadowpawn
Mar 6, 2009, 05:00 PM
Probably half the people telling this guy to go outside, have the skin complexion of The Joker.

Hey now, acid baths are a great way to exfoliate your skin. Don't be hatin'

BahnKnakyu
Mar 6, 2009, 05:16 PM
Call Newegg's Customer Support, see what's causing the suspension.

If your video card is artifacting like crazy, there's some fixes you can do to address it before you consider it dead.

* If it's overclocked, remove any overclocks on the card. SET IT TO DEFAULTS.
* Take the card out of the computer, get some compressed air, wipe any dust off of it.
* Underclock the Video Memory of the card.
* Place the video card on a different slot. This doesn't work for all motherboards.
* Check to see if it might be your monitor.
* Card might be overheating (fan broken?) Set the fan 100% if the fan's still working, or blow a desk fan into the case to see if that helps.

Hope something there lets you fix it.

Zyrusticae
Mar 7, 2009, 11:57 AM
I've actually done all of that, except for the underclocking and putting it in a different slot (which is impossible, because the motherboard requires it to be in the first x16 slot, with the second reserved strictly for SLi/Crossfire).

Thanks for the suggestions, though.

I've got a replacement - a badass GTX 260. Totally kicks the ass of my old 8800GT. I am happy, although I'm still miffed that I can neither sell nor pass down my 8800GT.

BahnKnakyu
Mar 9, 2009, 04:33 PM
Yeah, I upgraded from an 8800GT to a GTX 285. Gotta love the beast and how it laughs at any games I throw at it.

Zyrusticae
Mar 9, 2009, 10:49 PM
Well, this is interesting.

Brother replaced the thermal paste on the GPU, and now it works. Man. Who'da thunk it?

My card overheated because of the cheap shit they use in place of proper thermal grease. No wonder. Now it's perfectly functional...

Shadowpawn
Mar 10, 2009, 12:01 AM
Awesome. Did you ever find out what happened with Newegg?

Zyrusticae
Mar 10, 2009, 12:55 AM
At this point, I don't really care. I get good prices from my local Fry's and I don't have to wait or pay for shipping. (My GTX 260 went for $179 - way lower than anywhere I could have ordered online.)

Vanzazikon
Mar 10, 2009, 02:18 AM
I'm glad everything worked well for you. Have fun. :)