PDA

View Full Version : Dear Disney, I hate you

TheOneHero
Mar 9, 2009, 12:45 AM
This is for all those people who grew up watching the Spider-man and X-men shows of the 1990's.

About a year ago, I purchased the Batman Animated Series and looked to see if the above mentioned were released on DVD yet, Disney hadn't decide to at the time.

Today, awesome nostalgia came a-knocking and I say, "I wonder if X-men's out yet..." So I do some searching and Disney has plans to release the first 33 episodes on DVD, great yeah? Well maybe Spider-man is making some progress, so I look a little further... Disney has no intention of releasing Spider-man on DVD, and in the past they've shown only a select few episodes with a good deal cut out.

I haven't been to able to find if X-Men has had things cut out from the episodes; which now makes me very reserved in buying the upcoming DVD releases.

tl;dr

Disney sucks and withholds all the cool stuff and gives us watered-down crap instead.

Shattered_weasel
Mar 9, 2009, 01:44 AM
Honestly both of the shows were plagued with reused animation and horrid censorship (no punching!). Your better off not watching either series if you want to keep them in the high tier of animation.

Sekani
Mar 9, 2009, 02:02 AM
I wasn't aware that Disney distributed either show, what the hell? Shouldn't it be Fox?

Chuck_Norris
Mar 9, 2009, 02:56 AM
I wasn't aware that Disney distributed either show, what the hell? Shouldn't it be Fox?

Fox and Disney are the same thing. Or at least closely related. Notice how all those shows Fox used to have on Saturday mornings made it onto that Disney XD thing? If you stay up late enough, you can catch some of those old Fox Kids shows. X-Men, Spiderman, The Tick, they even had that NASCAR cartoon for a while.

Outrider
Mar 9, 2009, 10:43 AM
Yeah, uh... Fox and Disney are most certainly not the same thing. Still, I haven't the foggiest idea as to why Disney would distribute those shows. Maybe Fox doesn't have a good distribution channel for a couple old cartoon shows?

Chuck_Norris
Mar 9, 2009, 03:59 PM
Yeah, uh... Fox and Disney are most certainly not the same thing. Still, I haven't the foggiest idea as to why Disney would distribute those shows. Maybe Fox doesn't have a good distribution channel for a couple old cartoon shows?

They also have newer shows. Power Rangers and all that.

amtalx
Mar 9, 2009, 04:15 PM
Fox and Disney aren't the same thing, but Fox jettisoned their Fox Kids division to Disney. That's probably why you see those shows syndicated on Disney owned networks.

Kylie
Mar 10, 2009, 12:42 PM
Fox and Disney aren't the same thing, but Fox jettisoned their Fox Kids division to Disney. That's probably why you see those shows syndicated on Disney owned networks.Who pulled your string? :-P

Hmm. I caught a few of those old cartoons, but I wasn't aware that they censored them. Is that a recent thing? This reminds me of how they watered down Sailor Moon on Cartoon Network so long ago.

Shattered_weasel
Mar 10, 2009, 04:56 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man_(1994_TV_series)#Censorship

Chuck_Norris
Mar 10, 2009, 06:08 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man_(1994_TV_series)#Censorship (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man_%281994_TV_series%29#Censorship)

I'm amazed they put so much detail into that...

Blitzkommando
Mar 11, 2009, 06:49 PM
On that note, the mid-90s forced censorship to astronomical levels ensuring that we'll never see the darker themes that were more prevalent up to that time return. Meanwhile, live action shows tromp away in the opposite direction under the banner of 'first amendment rights.' Much thanks is due to the insanely overprotective nature of a handful of very loud parents, likely the same parents that let little Timmy watch Lost, Sex in the City, and such with no qualms. BUT, ONO, CAN'T DO THAT IN A CARTOON.

furrypaws
Mar 11, 2009, 10:39 PM
Spider-Man was not allowed to harm any pigeons when he landed on rooftops.

PIDGEONS ARE PEOPLE TOO.

Outrider
Mar 12, 2009, 09:43 AM
Spider-Man was not allowed to harm any pigeons when he landed on rooftops.

PIDGEONS ARE PEOPLE TOO.

I like the idea that this was a serious concern for them. Like, did they think that every episode was just gonna have Spidey crushing pigeons left & right?

"Hey Spider-Man, what're your superpowers?"

"Oh, y'know. Wall-crawling, super-strength, spider-sense and AVIAN GENOCIDE."

Weeaboolits
Mar 12, 2009, 09:56 AM
Goliath birdeaters need some love too.

Shiro_Ryuu
Mar 12, 2009, 02:56 PM
Well, maybe the birds should like, I don't know, get out of the way if they see some guy about to stomp them? Or the artists can just not draw them at all?

Vanzazikon
Mar 13, 2009, 12:33 AM
Yeah, they should but, they're too stupid to react.

"Oh hey someone's swinging over here. Should we move?"

"Uhhhh......"

*Splat*

UnderscoreX
Mar 13, 2009, 02:11 AM
Disney need to do this

http://i41.tinypic.com/9fntc8.jpg

With Alice in Wonderland.