PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 Guilds or Groups

Chimeria
Mar 11, 2009, 11:17 AM
I know there's not a guild system in PSU but I was just wondering if anyone's started somekind of small group or guild that meets up occasionally and does mission together or just meets up to hang out or something?

NiceOnes
Mar 11, 2009, 11:22 AM
There are clans for sure. Not sure what purpose they serve.. I always run with the same group of people and we run missions together and meet up to hang out. We do not however have a clan tag in our character names...

Why do people do this?

Elyruin
Mar 11, 2009, 11:46 AM
I guess they just like hanging out that much and probably just to be cool with the same name and stuff. But I think what your looking for is the group page here on pso-world.

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/group.php

Calsetes
Mar 11, 2009, 11:49 AM
Sometimes they make a clan so they can have their own forums, web sites, and whatnot. Sometimes it's to make yourself easily identifiable as a member of a guild that helps people out. Other times, it's simply nothing more than "If you mess with me, you mess with 31635432154 people who all have [AKI] in their names, yeah!"

I generally think of it like this (and this isn't always accurate, just my views and observations):

Guilds are (sometimes) nice and friendly, and help people out (or at least treat non-guildies indifferently, not necessarily in a harsh manner).

Clans (mostly) go around and make it a point to "be the best" at whatever it is YOU want to do, and will go to any lengths to ridicule and belittle you. Good luck getting in if you're not at least "7h15 1337".

Again, I'm not saying all clans and guilds act like I just said, it just seems from my personal experience in other MMOs and other online games that this is usually how they come off. If (and when) I get into a group in any online game, I try to make sure they call themselves a guild and not a clan just because of this, and it's helped me make sure I get mostly nice people to play with.

As for in a game like this, though? Just for fun. I remember I tried to make my own guild back on v1 Dreamcast PSO called "Hunter Xtremes." Despite the name, it was open to any race or class, it used "hunter" in the sense that all players were part of the Hunter's Guild. Only had 3 of us who played together though, and that was it. This was before they had all kinds of guild tools and websites and stuff that you could use to (easily) make up a guild page - my "guild site" was a few Geocities pages that I threw together using some HTML I was learning in high school at the time - they didn't have all these fancy tools and stuff back then.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling, just giving you my two cents on the matter.

Edit: The tag in the names' thing is something I've mainly seen in clans. My assumption would be to identify people in the clan in case the game they play doesn't have clan or guild support. Or, sometimes they play multiple games (like two of my PSU friends and I play). We still don't add tags and stuff in our names though, but then again, it's just 3 of us.

Elyruin
Mar 11, 2009, 11:54 AM
Its really just a way to meet people and have another reason to like the game.

Cracka_J
Mar 11, 2009, 01:11 PM
Its really just a way to meet people and have another reason to like the game.

For some.

Like calsetes stated though, there are usually motives and hidden agendas behind most clans/guild. Particularly because the leaders will have control complexes where the feel the need to set rules/regulations for members and attempt to belittle people who would attempt to join the clan/guild.

I was, and still am a loner in games I play. I do not like guild or clan associations because I have always felt limited as to what I could do or say to people if I were to join. When it comes to games, I play by my own rules. I either paid for my game, or I paid for my sub, and as long as I'm within the TOS that the company sets, I do not have to abide by "player set" rules/regulations, which is what most clans/guilds try to enforce.

It just happens I was able to meet up with quite a few players in the first year of PSU that had the same views and opinions. That's all TLM ever was, or is. I still log in and chat with these guys on almost a daily basis cause they're all chill. I don't have to play PSU, DoW, WoW or anything else they play up in there. They're just gamers in general and it's enjoyable to talk to them. You get a group of friends like that and it'll be hard to break it apart, regardless of who plays what game.

That's why guilds and clans can all fail with time, and a group of friends can make it though a helluva lot more. No dictatorship.

Calsetes
Mar 11, 2009, 01:30 PM
Exactly, what Cracka said.

Every time I attempted to start a guild or something, I make it clear that the biggest thing about it is I'm extremely laid back as to policies and whatnot. I'll ask that they try to help people out if they can, but again, I'm not some ruthless overlord trying to control everything with an iron fist. The only two things that I think are "boot-worthy" from a guild that I run would be doing something that violates the ToS of the game or intentionally going out and giving the guild a bad name - being a jerk to people, harassing other players excessively, PKing in an unfair manner (i.e. killing someone low on HP from fighting a monster), that kind of thing - the total douche moves.

No other prerequisites for joining guilds I make either, - I ask if they're friendly, feel like occasionally helping others, and then BAM! - they're in.

But that's just me. I usually am guildless in games, too, though that's mainly from not being able to find a nice guild that actually wants me.

Swiftstrike
Mar 11, 2009, 04:51 PM
The Prestige is new (as of a week ago) and always looking for new people to run with!

http://www.freewebs.com/tehprestige/index.htm

miko65
Mar 11, 2009, 05:36 PM
Wow reading all of this makes me see no point in joining these silly lil groups that people try to get me to join.lol

System-Id
Mar 12, 2009, 01:03 AM
For some.

Like calsetes stated though, there are usually motives and hidden agendas behind most clans/guild. Particularly because the leaders will have control complexes where the feel the need to set rules/regulations for members and attempt to belittle people who would attempt to join the clan/guild.

I was, and still am a loner in games I play. I do not like guild or clan associations because I have always felt limited as to what I could do or say to people if I were to join. When it comes to games, I play by my own rules. I either paid for my game, or I paid for my sub, and as long as I'm within the TOS that the company sets, I do not have to abide by "player set" rules/regulations, which is what most clans/guilds try to enforce.

It just happens I was able to meet up with quite a few players in the first year of PSU that had the same views and opinions. That's all TLM ever was, or is. I still log in and chat with these guys on almost a daily basis cause they're all chill. I don't have to play PSU, DoW, WoW or anything else they play up in there. They're just gamers in general and it's enjoyable to talk to them. You get a group of friends like that and it'll be hard to break it apart, regardless of who plays what game.

That's why guilds and clans can all fail with time, and a group of friends can make it though a helluva lot more. No dictatorship.

-TLM- <3<3<3