PDA

View Full Version : Grinding Is Ruining This Game!

pinkace
Mar 13, 2009, 03:48 PM
So my female cast fortegunner has holy luck today. I had a few 7, 8 and 9 star A weapons, nothing fancy, and had been waiting to grind them. I bought about 30 A grinder boards and enough A bases to make A grinders. I stopped after I made 20 A+9, 30 A+8, etc.

So I started grinding my weapons and as usual even though I am supposed to have good luck, half of my weapons broke repeatedly until I could only grind 4/4 on most of them. I usually stop at 5 grinds, since it is completely absolutely impossible to get higher (don't argue I have tried literally HUNDREDS of times, the weapons that are higher than that have to be hacks or something).

And then it hit me: in the time that I spent buying parts, making grinders, grinding, screaming and cursing and losing years of my life, I could have just done 5 or 6 White Beast runs like everyone else and made enough money to BUY the weapons.

And THIS MADE ME SO ANGRY I SAW RED.

I like making my own weapons, then grinding them. I hate the way this game is going, where all you have to do is earn a ton of money and you are guaran-f**king-teed to own every rare in the game. Why is this the only way to earn rares?

Why doesn't it get easier to grind a weapon after it breaks/fails once, and easier after it breaks/fails twice, and so on and so forth?

I don't want to just start looking for money. I get sick and tired of doing the same run over and over and over. Why does it have to be hard to play this game!?

Syanaide
Mar 13, 2009, 03:52 PM
Want to play a game where big bank doesn't necessarily get you the best gear? Go play FFXI, and I'll see you when you get back.

pinkace
Mar 13, 2009, 03:53 PM
I.... can't :(

NiceOnes
Mar 13, 2009, 04:12 PM
Dude.... I don't even know what to say to you.

kejen
Mar 13, 2009, 04:14 PM
3 star luck doesn't mean "good" luck. It just means the best luck. If it were that easy to get 10/10 , everyone would be walking around with a full palette of 10/10.

And you should of used A+10 for the best chances anyway.

With an A rank weapon, going from 4 to 5, with 3* and A+9 is high chance which is 60% to 80%, and probably closer to 60%. Pretty good chance it will fail. Going from 9 to 10 with 3* and S+10 on an S rank is 40% to 60%, and closer to 40%. Very small chance you will get something to 10/10 since flipping a coin and having it land on heads 4 times in a row for the last 4 grinds.

Go ahead, pretend you have a bunch of weapons that are 6/10. Flip a coin 4 times and if it lands on heads all 4 times you got to 10/10, if not it broke. That's pretty much what your chances are, and that is assuming you already have 10 or 15 weapons taht are 6/10.

Also, wait for grind boosts.

pinkace
Mar 13, 2009, 04:37 PM
3 star luck doesn't mean "good" luck. It just means the best luck.

I had some snazzy reply but I'm going to assume this was a typo and you meant the inverse.

My point is a) why are the chances of getting a weapon from 4/10 to 5/10 equal to getting a weapon from 4/6 to 5/6?

and why do I have such shitty luck? is there a trick? is it because I am a cast and the moatoob lady with that mean look hates casts?

she has that 'you don't belong on this neighborhood' look on her face. I saw it once, walking on the upper east side in Manhattan.

kejen
Mar 13, 2009, 04:52 PM
Wasn't a typo. In grinding real luck is what plays the part. The chance of the roll. The star above your head just means you need less of a higher roll to succeed a grind. It's possible that someone with 0 luck can make 3 10/10 in a row, and someone with 3* luck can screw up 10 weapons in a row.

Based on a Japanese guide and available knowledge regarding rates, it can be concluded that 'L1' and 'L2' Photon Fortune increase grinding success by at most 3.0%, while the increment for 'L3' could have a range from 5.0 to 7.0%.

You have a 5-7% chance of successful grind over someone that 0* when you have 3*. So does 3* really mean "good" luck? Not at all, just means a better chance, or the best chance you have with the particular grinder you are using.

No tricks, just use +10 grinders when you have 3* luck and keep your fingers crossed. It's not rocket science, this game is as easy/simple as they come.

Smidge204
Mar 13, 2009, 05:05 PM
If you have 3* luck and use nothing but A+10 grinders, you have (based on psupedia's approximate ranges) between a 3% and 26% chance of getting to 10/10. That's at best three broken for every one that makes it.

You were using A+8 and A+9. With nothing but A+9 grinders, your best chance drops to about 10%.

=Smidge=

Zyrusticae
Mar 13, 2009, 05:11 PM
You don't have to grind weapons. The benefit from doing so is fairly miniscule anyway, aside from the more powerful S-rank weapons.

Also, how else do you expect to obtain rares? You either buy them or grind the correct areas frequently enough to pick up one. That's all there is to it. That's all there is to any MMO. AFAIK, there is no MMO that has bucked this trend within history.

ashley50
Mar 13, 2009, 05:21 PM
Pinkace...are you new to this game?

if not, there's something wrong with you.

Powder Keg
Mar 13, 2009, 05:29 PM
Grinding is overrated.

OldCoot
Mar 13, 2009, 05:38 PM
I grind to 3 and stop there not worth trying to do more seeing it break and then having to use even more grinders to take it back to where I was.

Syn Jerriel
Mar 13, 2009, 06:02 PM
a mil for S+10s does not help too

(i remeber them being like 3-500 k

pinkace
Mar 13, 2009, 06:31 PM
Pinkace...are you new to this game?

if not, there's something wrong with you.

Please elaborate on your idiotic statement.

Everyone, I am not trying to get to 10/10. Please read what I posted. I can't get to 5/10 without breaking 2 out of 3 times. I should have over 60% chance with holy luck and A+9 grinders. The difference between A+8 and A+10 is minimal at this stage.

And again, the time and money I would spend making A+10 grinders and grinding weapons repeatedly would be better spent just making money and nothing else. That is that point of my post/rant. If it is all based on luck then why would anyone bother? You would be better served just making money and buying the weapon.

And the tragedy is, I came to this conclusion after playing this game since launch. It's not that I didn't know, it's just that I refused to accept it. It isn't an epiphany, it is complete surrender.

The more people that feel this way, the less people out there would be making/grinding weapons, so the supply will be lower and lower, and things will cost more and more, and it will just keeps spiraling out of control. pretty soon everything will be 9999999999.

how else do you expect to obtain rares? You either buy them or grind the correct areas frequently enough to pick up one. That's all there is to it. That's all there is to any MMO. AFAIK, there is no MMO that has bucked this trend within history.

I dont want rare weapons. I don't own any. I am still using A ranks at level 90. I just enjoy making my own weapons. I love that aspect of the game, always have, and I just refused for years to just succumb to the economy of PSU. And as someone who makes weapons and armor, I love grinding the stuff. It's part of this whole role playingh game thing ;)

Wasn't a typo. In grinding real luck is what plays the part. The chance of the roll. The star above your head just means you need less of a higher roll to succeed a grind. It's possible that someone with 0 luck can make 3 10/10 in a row, and someone with 3* luck can screw up 10 weapons in a row.

You have a 5-7% chance of successful grind over someone that 0* when you have 3*. So does 3* really mean "good" luck? Not at all, just means a better chance, or the best chance you have with the particular grinder you are using.

No tricks, just use +10 grinders when you have 3* luck and keep your fingers crossed. It's not rocket science, this game is as easy/simple as they come.

The reason i thought it was a typo was that you said 3* is not good luck, its 'best' luck. But I know what you mean on this post. PSUpedia is my homepage ;)

pinkace
Mar 13, 2009, 07:08 PM
why was this thread moved? it is PSU related.

Retehi
Mar 13, 2009, 07:28 PM
Cause it's a rant.

pinkace
Mar 13, 2009, 07:40 PM
I object to your signature.

Angry_Ryudo
Mar 13, 2009, 07:48 PM
I'm pretty new to the online game, but i think that many of the people that have 10/10 weapons are playing since V1 began or so.

I didn't grind two B'duki Magana beyond 5/10 or 5/9, to avoid breaking them, but in fact i don't really grind too much (slightly less power, more hits, better PA exp. XDD).

Zyrusticae
Mar 13, 2009, 08:07 PM
I don't understand your logic.

People grind because they can afford it and, frequently, because they have the capability to obtain more than one copy of a weapon.

What does grinding have to do with buying weapons instead? That only works if there's a ground version of a weapon available on market, and last I checked there's very few of those (and of those, a number of them don't go past 3 or 4). Sure, you can just try to raise money and buy one at cost, but how long is it going to take for you to raise that kind of money?

Really, though, none of this matters if you just don't bother to grind your weapons past 3/X. If your investment doesn't see a return, then logically there's no reason to continue investing, is there?

Syl
Mar 13, 2009, 08:08 PM
I'm pretty new to the online game, but i think that many of the people that have 10/10 weapons are playing since V1 began or so.

I didn't grind two B'duki Magana beyond 5/10 or 5/9, to avoid breaking them, but in fact i don't really grind too much (slightly less power, more hits, better PA exp. XDD).

lol I usually went for 5/10 when I wasn't feeling gutsy, and even then stuff breaks.

OP would have rage quit over this game had they been around for V1. If a weapon broke, it was gone forever. If you think it's expensive now, you can only imagine what it was like to lose weapons (especially S Ranks) back then.

I had my palette full of 10/10 A Ranks and most of my s ranks were at least 3/10 or so. It's stupid luck and persistence really. Always view your chance as a 50/50 breakage. It's theoretically possible to break a weapon 1000 times at 95% success rate. Just cause it says very good chance, doesn't mean it still isn't 50/50. It either breaks or it doesn't, just with a little bit of leaning.

Other than that, it's to be expected when it comes to grinding that something will break. Tough luck. PSU is nice enough that you don't have to grind stuff or do insane shit just to be able to play higher level stuff. You're taking the risk, so expect plenty of failures.

Powder Keg
Mar 13, 2009, 08:13 PM
I myself have never been able to grind most weapons past 4 or 5. I only really grinded a Shato to like 8, and that was with the grinding boost and A+10's which I somehow miraculously made. But as I said earlier, grinding is way overrated and it isn't even worth the frustration. Most of the time, 3/X is a significant increase if the PP gets a good boost.

hyperacute
Mar 13, 2009, 08:21 PM
Could be worse, I remember when failing a grind used to completely destroy the weapon. Now that was not fun at all u_u

pinkace
Mar 13, 2009, 11:32 PM
I don't understand your logic.

People grind because they can afford it and, frequently, because they have the capability to obtain more than one copy of a weapon.

What does grinding have to do with buying weapons instead? That only works if there's a ground version of a weapon available on market, and last I checked there's very few of those (and of those, a number of them don't go past 3 or 4). Sure, you can just try to raise money and buy one at cost, but how long is it going to take for you to raise that kind of money?

Really, though, none of this matters if you just don't bother to grind your weapons past 3/X. If your investment doesn't see a return, then logically there's no reason to continue investing, is there?

I don't have multiple versions of the same A rank weapon, that is why it hurts when it happens; most of the time it is a weapon I made myself!

The weapons I shop for are A rank, you can find plenty of those ground to 7/7 or 8/8. Those are the ones I buy. I just bought a Cubo Dunga to replace one that bitch at the Moatoob grind desk broke (grrr) for 300k, this one was at 6/10

Again, I have like 4 S rank weapons between all of my characters. And you nailed the heart of my dilemma. For every S rank I get on white beast S, I make about 100k. One can do a run in about what... 10 minutes? 15? So in an afternoon, you can make a million.

In contrast, it took like 1 hour to make grinders until I got a bunch of A+8 and above, 10 minutes for my weapons to be destroyed, and about 2 hours for me to calm myself down and clean up the mess I made in anger in my house after.

Nitro Vordex
Mar 13, 2009, 11:43 PM
Too bad the money in PSU means practically nothing.

PSU has it's own air compressor.

biggabertha
Mar 14, 2009, 03:07 AM
In contrast, it took like 1 hour to make grinders until I got a bunch of A+8 and above, 10 minutes for my weapons to be destroyed, and about 2 hours for me to calm myself down and clean up the mess I made in anger in my house after.

Man... and I thought I took this game too seriously when things don't go according to plan...

Zarode
Mar 14, 2009, 10:40 AM

Protip: Don't play real games, they might make you cry.

Tessu
Mar 14, 2009, 12:43 PM

SO MUCH TIME INVOLUNTARILY SPENT!

I am truelly srry for your lots.

pinkace
Mar 14, 2009, 01:05 PM
I was being a drama king (>_<) i didnt trash my house! any of you ever heard of sarcasm? exaggeration to make a point?

geez....

Nitro Vordex
Mar 14, 2009, 01:35 PM
Sarcasm NEVER works on the internet.

Vanzazikon
Mar 14, 2009, 03:57 PM
That wasn't sarcasm. That's what you call a hyperbole (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hyperbole).

pinkace
Mar 14, 2009, 05:28 PM
That wasn't sarcasm. That's what you call a hyperbole (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hyperbole).

That is correct. Thank you.

That reminds me of a coworkers who used to have to buy new controllers every month or so because he would slam down his controller on the coffee table whenever something went wrong in a game. I have never done that but I came close to yesterday.

pikachief
Mar 16, 2009, 09:08 PM
its k pinkace i cant grind either. so i do what i love doing! i dont grind. y? cuz i tested some 10/10 and 0/10 weapons and there isnt that big of a difference at all, really.

especially when u are only gonna grind to like 5 anyways, there is no point.

when i wanna make something i make it and grind it to like 4. with gold luck and S+10's :P when i wanna just have something i buy it 4/4 or something like that since thats as hgih as im gonna grind it anyways.

i dont care about having x/10 cuz it wont make me any better than an x/x weapon. :) also yes this is a game where time and money can get you anything. sounds like real life to me, personally (except IRL money and time cant buy u happyness, as in this game having the best stuff wont make you happy D:)

Kent
Mar 16, 2009, 11:11 PM
Grinding, in all applicable senses, comprises most of the reasons for which people have quit PSU - at least in part.