PDA

View Full Version : BB, BB, BB, BB, (Soul Calibur rant)

Chuck_Norris
Mar 13, 2009, 04:24 PM
GAAAH, FUCK MITSURUGI AND ANYONE WHO SPAMS HIM!

Why must the online world be filled with these fucking scrubs?! And don't get my started on the Cervates, Astaroth, and Sophitia noobs. Not to mention the ringout whores...

Yes, you can beat them. Yes, you can impact the moves, but if you lose concentration for a SECOND, you're boned.

These people think they're good at the game, when they spam this one fucking move over and over! GO LEARN A DIFFERENT ATTACK.

Fuck.

Randomness
Mar 13, 2009, 04:47 PM
I've got two responses for you.

First:Obviously, if they're winning, their strategy is superior to yours. You have no right to complain if you cling to your style and lose because of it.

Second:I hate spam of unbalanced characters too. But, again, you need to adapt, instead of just whining. If nothing else, give them their own medicine... except drag it out mercilessly if you can.

Pick whichever you'd prefer to hear.

Inazuma
Mar 13, 2009, 04:55 PM
i agree. its perfectly acceptable to spam the same attack over and over, as long as you are winning. actually, some may argue that the best way to play a fighting game is to do the best move possible as much as possible.

learn from them and improve your own game.

Shadowpawn
Mar 13, 2009, 05:21 PM
If they are truly scrubs at the game then you shouldn't be losing to mere button mashers. o.O

Zyrusticae
Mar 13, 2009, 05:35 PM
I hated this until I realized that they suck at blocking more than I do.

With any character, you can just block the bb, then hit them back with your own bb. Then keep on spamming with it until they start blocking. THEN you can start hitting them with lows/throws and forcing them to play mind games with you.

If the opponent obviously doesn't know how to play (which must be the case for anyone who spams bb all the time), then you're going to have to downgrade your game a bit. Sad, but true.

That said, Mitsurugi has a natural advantage online, as his already-hard-to-block-on-reaction lows become doubly irritating, and he has some really nasty mids that hit grounded for massive damage. For better or for worse, you'll just have to deal.

Nitro Vordex
Mar 13, 2009, 05:46 PM
i agree. its perfectly acceptable to spam the same attack over and over, as long as you are winning. actually, some may argue that the best way to play a fighting game is to do the best move possible as much as possible.

learn from them and improve your own game.
TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER TIGER

Powder Keg
Mar 13, 2009, 08:09 PM
That's Soul Calibur since 2 for ya.

It doesn't really matter how good you are (unless you're a top tournament-tier player obviously) but it's VERY possible for most players to lose to an unpredictable button-masher.

Weeaboolits
Mar 14, 2009, 01:03 AM
Or Raphael.

McLaughlin
Mar 14, 2009, 01:21 AM
This is any fighting game in existence. >_>

Beat BB with YY. Verticals crush horizontal attacks. If they're spamming verts just start strafing.

As far as Cervantes is concerned, I always picked the raft stage when I saw him. Just strafe around the teleport move and they'll ring themselves out. For Astaroth, that dirty unblockable that works so well on the AI is mega slow, so if you don't get out of the way you need to move quicker.

Surprised at the lack of Kilik hate though. I get bad feedback just about every time I pick him, and that's before the match even starts. I just think it's hilarious no one knows how to move in close (too busy spamming BB I guess). I literally won a game with YY because the guy kept trying to just run right at me.

Zyrusticae
Mar 14, 2009, 01:36 AM
BB IS vertical. AA, BB, KK refer to the actual moves, not the buttons on the controller.

Strafing verts online is ill-advisable. That's a strategy that requires quick reflexes, which is impossible if there's even a quarter-second of input lag (that's 15 frames that your character isn't doing anything in). Better to block and then hit back with your own bb, as you'll always have frame advantage if they're spamming bb, and if they keep trying to interrupt with their own bb it'll keep failing unless they finally start blocking.

DreXxiN
Mar 14, 2009, 05:55 PM
Broken character move spam is the same as Majarra :). They can relate!

I know what you mean though, it does anger you, but you have to realise that if it's effective, then you must be doing something wrong.

This, fellas, is why I stick to the smash games. Try mashing a button and getting somewhere in there. :)

Neith
Mar 14, 2009, 06:49 PM
Cervantes has the movestyle that almost promotes showing off- why people spam the same attacks with him is beyond me... It's the same with most fighters though. Most people who've known me for a little while on here know that my old username was UrikoBB3 (Uriko from Bloody Roar, another fighter). It's exactly the same there, but sometimes worse. I've lost to friends before just because they buttonmashed. :disapprove:

Surprised at the lack of Kilik hate though.

What's sad is, sometimes you CAN get away with spamming using Kilik :lol: I don't use him much because of it (I'll stick to Cervantes/Yoshimitsu/Nightmare thanks).

There's always ways round spammers, but thanks to online, any lag at all can ruin a perfectly legitimate tactic. It's why I prefer playing fighters offline with friends, rather than online. It can be fun, but the lag can get irritating at times.

Zyrusticae
Mar 14, 2009, 07:56 PM
Indeed.

And forget about playing someone like Setsuka online. Sure, you can memorize the timing of every single Just Frame an' all that jazz, but someone with as few decent strings as her pretty much requires the ability to confirm whether or not an attack actually hit, by which time it's impossible to combo off of it. So freakin' irritating...

Cracka_J
Mar 14, 2009, 08:09 PM
shit exists in all fighters man. after playing them for so long, my attitude has changed from first year "why the fuck are you winning with that stupid shit!?!" to "why the fuck am I losing to that stupid shit?".

that difference alone will make you a better player. don't get mad at the other person for abusing something, it's all they know, or care to learn. if you're truly smarter then that, learn what beats it, or a way around it. you can only get mad at yourself if you see a certain strategy 100's of times and fail to apply a counter measure.

people that beat me in sf4 with runaway I send friend requests to. why? because they're playing smart and would risk their opponent getting upset and talking shit to over losing a game. those are the people that make you better. whether it takes 10 fights or 1000 to figure out what breaks them, you will do it. and they will keep playing because they're getting free wins. once the table turns though and you figure things out, your opponent will be left with the same situation. they'll either not play you anymore, or devote the time into finding a new way to break you.

the people that do the latter have become some of my best friends both in games, and irl.

furrypaws
Mar 14, 2009, 11:56 PM
The computer was worse in Soul Calibur III if I remember correctly. It literally parried every attack you ever made, whether it be horizontals, verticals, throws, combos, advanced combos, etc., and then just kicked you out of the ring. No fighting. Just parryparryparryparrykickdone.

That's why I was pleasantly surprised when I bought Soul Calibur I for the Dreamcast a few weeks ago. The computer...wasn't cheap! Even on the hardest difficulty (which is quite tricky), it's never an unfair fight.

Zyrusticae
Mar 15, 2009, 01:30 AM
Yeah, SC III's AI was spotty. It didn't parry every attack, but it sure as hell parried more frequently than any human player would (as even among the top tier they rely more on mind games than good reflexes). It certainly wasn't unbeatable, but it wasn't much fun to play against, as you'd have to resort to cheap tricks more than half the time rather than sound tactics.

Thankfully, SC IV's AI is nowhere near as spotty, and in fact can accurately represent a highly skilled player, although you cannot practice mind games with them like you could with a human opponent (although they do try to sell that illusion to you, it is simply an illusion).

pinkace
Mar 15, 2009, 11:31 AM
Go play Virtua Fighter 5 if you want a game in which no one can spam anything, and every character is perfectly balanced.

Alnet
Mar 15, 2009, 09:52 PM
Huh. Usually in SCIV, everyone online spams Maxi and Taki against me. If there's even a spot of lag, I've been hit 8 times before I see it, and the match is over...

As for stopping the BB mashers, I learned how to deal with that from fighting my nephew (who had no idea what to do in a game like this). A Guard Impact right at the same rhythm of someone mashing vert works nicely. If there's lag though, I can see how that would be troubling...

I mashed vert against another vert masher and won once. He didn't try it again the next time.

Nitro Vordex
Mar 15, 2009, 11:04 PM
Go play Virtua Fighter 5 if you want a game in which no one can spam anything, and every character is perfectly balanced.
Sounds kinda boring.

KodiaX987
Mar 15, 2009, 11:58 PM
Sounds kinda boring.

I'll assume you are under the effects of alcohol at the moment and allow you a second chance. Explain yourself.

amtalx
Mar 16, 2009, 04:39 PM
Traceroute their IP and BB them with a hammer. See how they like it in person.

pinkace
Mar 16, 2009, 06:09 PM
I'll assume you are under the effects of alcohol at the moment and allow you a second chance. Explain yourself.

i will do it for him.

no super jiggly boobs + no flashy magical exploding fists = boring.

Shadowpawn
Mar 16, 2009, 10:27 PM
i will do it for him.

no super jiggly boobs + no flashy magical exploding fists = boring.

I'm pretty sure his real reply will actually have more substance than this, don't sell him so short.

furrypaws
Mar 17, 2009, 11:39 PM
I'm pretty sure his real reply will actually have more substance than this, don't sell him so short.

No jiggly boobs+no exploding fists+no BB spam=boring? ;)

MrNomad
Mar 20, 2009, 01:37 PM
Tired of people spamming the same moves over and over without penalties over laggy servers?

Tired of unbalanced tiers?

Tired of sequels of a sword fighting game that used to be great but then had it's characters and moves list severely toned down and tossed out in favor of a COW?

Here's the solution!

Take your copy of SCIV, smash it to a million pieces, then go play a game worth your time like VF5 or Guilty Gear.

Teh Edn!

Zyrusticae
Mar 20, 2009, 02:41 PM
...Just a note: SC IV is actually more balanced than any of the previous games. Even the supposedly rock-bottom-tier Rock has a fighting chance in the hands of a good player - though of course, they are few and far between, as the popular perception means very few are willing to put time into learning him (and others, like Seung Mina).

Also, I disagree. >_>

Chuck_Norris
Mar 20, 2009, 05:15 PM
Tired of people spamming the same moves over and over without penalties over laggy servers?

Tired of unbalanced tiers?

Tired of sequels of a sword fighting game that used to be great but then had it's characters and moves list severely toned down and tossed out in favor of a COW?

Here's the solution!

Take your copy of SCIV, smash it to a million pieces, then go play a game worth your time like VF5 or Guilty Gear.

Teh Edn!

Virtua Fighter 5 doesn't have online on the PS3, and Guilty Gear is a 2D fighter. I prefer the whole 8-way run thing, thanks.

PepperCat
Mar 20, 2009, 05:25 PM
I'd be playing you with Raphael or Kilik if I had a 360 yet Chuck...

Can you use your customizable guy online as well?

SStrikerR
Mar 20, 2009, 05:47 PM
yep, you can.

Chuck_Norris
Mar 21, 2009, 03:13 AM
I'd be playing you with Raphael or Kilik if I had a 360 yet Chuck...

Can you use your customizable guy online as well?

Yes, you can.

By the way, I'm not using the 360 version.

Rasputin
Mar 21, 2009, 08:06 PM
TIGER, TIGER, TIGER, TIGER, TIGER, TIGER, TIGER, TIGER, TIGER, TIGER, TIGER, TIGER, TIGER, TIGER, TIGER, TIGER, TIGER, TIGER, TIGER, TIGER, TIGER, TIGER, TIGER, TIGER

UnderscoreX
Mar 23, 2009, 04:30 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jtu6bGHwQr0