PDA

View Full Version : (Discussion) The Physics of PSU

Zyrusticae
Mar 17, 2009, 02:29 PM
This has nothing to do with PSU gameplay, so I thought it'd make sense to start a thread in here, as it mainly has to do with how people portray the world of PSU in their various fanworks.

Anywho, justification aside, this is something that's made me curious for some time now.

1. How exactly do photons function as weapons? We know they don't simply burn like lightsabers, as otherwise we'd have no need for fire-type photon weaponry (and cold-types wouldn't exist). So how do they work? Do they replace mass in a manner similar to the light-batons of Futurama? This one seems to make the most sense, considering the bizarre shapes that are possible to create with photon weaponry. Actually, I can't think of any other explanations, but surely there's something out there...

2. To what extent can the personal manipulation of photons affect the world? It seems the sky's the limit, what with the existence of arts that allow short-range flight (Majarra & Tornado Dance), the ignoring of gravity (pretty much any PA that involves jumping), passage through solid matter (that PA I can't remember the name of where you dive into the ground and leap out to do an uppercut), and the whole range of TECHNICs. I can easily imagine fights matching the over-the-top action seen in Advent Children. It's most certainly quite easy to make up for one's own lacking physical strength through the manipulation of photons (what with being able to level up photon arts to the max of your class regardless of what your own class level or ATP or whatever is).

So just how far can it go?

I might think up more questions later on, but that's all for now. Discuss!

qoxolg
Mar 17, 2009, 03:13 PM
I think photons are simply concentrated energy.. thats probably where all sense stops :wacko:

maybe for elemental attacks they use photons to combine certain elements out of the air that are explosive, or very cold.. that would make sense if the elements were limited to ice, fire, lightning and poison.. but uh.. Dark? Light? Earth (trowing rocks?) uhh.. yeah...

Shadowpawn
Mar 17, 2009, 07:21 PM
I think the photonic energy of PSU is simply the "lifeforce" of their universe. Considering that most of the Dark baddies that are closely related to Dark Falz, or is Dark Falz himself, tend to be concentrated forms of Photon energy. I think that Sega was trying to hint at the fact that photonic energy is much more integrated in the fabric of the universe then the inhabitans know themselves.

Actual photons couldn't be used with the attributes that the PS series assigns them. Seriously, earth photons (an electronic rock?)

Libram
Mar 17, 2009, 11:18 PM
I see photons as an energy source that has an almost unlimited number of uses based solely on how well controlled and concentrated that energy flows. For solid objects like the laser gates and barriers that pop up in missions get a large concentration but move it at an extremely low rate. The energy then acts as a physical barrier that will not allow matter to pass. Speed up the photonic flow and you get something that starts to tear into the bonds that hold matter together. This forms the various melee weapons. Pull back the concentration on that and the photons start to unravel from each other. Couple this with a compressor and you can form the various firearms the Ranger types use. Pull back on photon density and flow some more and it starts to act more like a stream of water that can be shaped. With the proper control the stream can be reformed into another energy form a skilled manipulator wishes, thus forming the basis behind TECH weaponry.

As for control and such I like to think of it like this:

A weapon is comprised of four important parts. First, the photons that are actually used to attack. There are ten known types. Regular Photons are the bread and butter of society and function independently of the other types. The Elemental Photons act like the regular when standing alone but actively repel a contradicting element as well as creating odd effects if arranged in a very specific way. Im-Photons are a more variable variety and can rearrange themselves to create a number of unique effects, the most surprising being the ability to completely mimic Elemental Photons while creating the same effects in a much more controlled fashion. El-Photons cannot reliably be used in their natural state, but in the hands of a TECH user they El-Photons are pure energy without form just waiting to be shaped.

The next important part of a weapon is the wood. When properly "refined" as it were the wood found in all weapons acts as both generator and battery. The wood binds to the photons supplied through synthesis and is able to pull the exact same photons from nature. This also plays a part in how concentrated the photons ultimately become as well as determining the maximum amount that any weapon can hold at any given time. This is why the different manufacturers from each planet show the same tendencies in similar weapons. The exception to this lies in Kubara Wood which seems to grow in a number of places across the galaxy. It doesn't initially bind very well with any photon, but once it does it can accept upgrades more easily than the other types as evidenced by the amazing growth it has when grinding.

Next up is the metal. I'm going to borrow a page from Xaeris and explain the differing metals as the focal points for photon expulsion. For melee weaponry it acts as a reflective cage that keeps the photons flowing over themselves and keeping the blades intact and stable. For firearms the metal becomes a compressor and reservoir. When prepared to fire the reservoir is allowed to open for a moment, releasing some of the Im-Photons it contains that immediately flow into the compressor. There they change arrangement and take on the programmed qualities of the Bullet Art before being properly shaped into the appropriate size and released. For force weaponry the metal becomes nothing more than a medium through with a TECH user can pull the necessary amount of El-Photons needed to create whatever TECHNIC is desired. Only rather exceptional forces can take the El-Photons, concentrate them through the softer metal, and then make a usable weapon from them. The only known examples come from the mage type enemies and a certain douche who shall remain unnamed.

The final part of a weapon is the ore. On its own it really doesn't do much, but combined with the other parts it becomes the binding material and pathways for the photons to transition from one part to another. This makes it the controlling substance that determines just how powerful a weapon can become as evidenced by the rarity, and it also acts as the interface for whatever Photon Art will be used.

And I think that's enough from me for one post.

Split
Mar 18, 2009, 10:03 AM
I think the PAs are just supposed to be stylish and are cool because they defy any sort of physics you can theorize the existence of

biggabertha
Mar 18, 2009, 10:22 PM
Hmm....

The "hiding PA" has a small explanation to how it works - through the nanotransformer. You hide yourself in it before springing out - how this gets you hurt in that duration though, is beyond me.

The other mysterious like riding on your lance or remaining stationary in the air during Gravity Break's last hit... those are harder to explain.

Much like Bogga Robado's amazing last combo or even Bogga Danga's one, I like to think that the weapons themselves (most likely the photons) have either a reactor in them, capable of propulsion effects or that they have a magnetic field surrounding them.

The magnetic field would allow any user of any weight, proportion or stance to be accommodated on it. The propulstion effects would have to be stronger with the larger characters and weaker for the smaller, lighter characters. Since it takes the same amount of PP for the loli newman female to perform Dus Majarra as it is for the bulky, large male cast (casts are heavier than beasts, right...?!).

Libram's explanation's awesome, I enjoyed reading it a lot.

Magus_84
Mar 18, 2009, 10:37 PM
The explanations in Xaeris' fanfic always worked pretty well for me. (http://pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139275)

The "connect the dots" segments go a long way towards integrating stuff like this into a story as a whole.

His worlds generally make a hell of a lot more sense than the sketchy in-game explanations of stuff.

Other than that, I agree with Libram. And the "going into the Nanotransformer" explanation for Rensan's last hit.

Zyrusticae
Mar 19, 2009, 01:15 AM
Fascinating stuff.

However, there's still some things that are unclear to me (amazingly, considered how detailed and well-thought-out the CtDs are).

Exactly how much can photon-based weaponry affect non-organic matter? I get the impression that things like synthetic metals should be utterly impervious to all manner of attacks, except that's impossible because every single robot in PSU has a type (lightning, ground, or, for some reason, fire), which means that even non-organic (non-carbon-based) matter has photonic properties.

Which, by extension, means that attacks that move massive quantities of photons could cause massive collateral damage.

Hm, but what about those machines? They have no real "life force", and thus hex purity doesn't really come into play there, so exactly what is the nature of the damage being done to them, and what about the environment itself?

Also, Photon Arts. I, personally, would prefer to think that they're simply a necessary game-ism (as actually giving us a full arsenal of moves akin to a fighting game would be quite difficult to pull off), but what do you all think?

Libram
Mar 19, 2009, 02:47 AM
Well, if you've played PSU V1 Offline then you'll know the few cutscenes that involve fighting of any kind are very badly done. They all look like bad actors were filmed and replaced by character models. Look for the Ethan and Magashi fight on YouTube to see what I mean. They don't use any Photon Arts, and quite frankly it sucks.

So that means I gotta BS an actual mechanic behind Skills. To do that I'll introduce a little something else about weapons. The actual attacks from melee and ranged weapons aren't simply the power of the weapon combined with how hard you swing it or how well you aim. Photonic weaponry actually synchronizes with the wielder and combines its own natural strength with a person's photonic radiance. This explains why a little newman child barely in her teens can outdamage a big burly beast based solely on their levels and types. This also explains why a Hunter with a standard Handgun and no PA attached will do more damage when he hits an enemy than a Ranger with the same set up. The Ranger will just hit more often and possibly outdamage the Hunter through DPS.

Now, normally a striking weapon doesn't use any photons to function and actually creates an excess even in the midst of battle. Recent advances in technology can actually increase the excess produced by literally cutting the photons from your target and absorbing them straight into the weapon. The average person watching a Skill being used would think it's just an advanced movement designed to add more strength to an attack by swinging the blade that much harder. A Skill is actually a preprogrammed series of movements stored within a Guardian's nanotransformer that boosts the overall photon radiance of both the weapon and wielder and combines that with motion of the attack to create some rather devastating power. Depending on the program itself the user can quite literally defy logic by pulling their photonic signature through the air. This drags the body along with it and creates the short range flight seen in some of the Arts.

Just keep in mind that this is me BSing the whole explanation. I just seem to have a knack for making it sound legitimately possible.

Magus_84
Mar 19, 2009, 06:30 AM
For the bots...(at least the crab-types and all the others that explode when killed), I'd say them taking physical damage probably has something to do with their photon-based reactors working on a very strict input-output ratio. You overwhelm them with enough "foreign" photons, and the reactor that powers them gets its equilibrium disrupted, eventually going boom.

Kinda like...uh...bombarding a nuclear reactor with enough stray particles to cause a runaway reaction that builds to critical mass. It doesn't "contaminate" anything because the photons, when freed from a host, quickly disperse into the atmosphere when they aren't artificially contained. And there aren't enough of them to continue the reaction once liberated from the reactor.

It's early, and that may not make sense. >_>

Zyrusticae
Mar 19, 2009, 02:46 PM
Sounds plausible to me.

Okay, so, let me try to get this stuff sorted out (for myself, mostly).

Photons infuse pretty much everything, up to and including interplanetary space(!).

Photons were eventually discovered by humans, and some ingenious individual figured out how to use photons to create electricity, and then some other ingenious individuals figured out how to use that electricity to power new technology. Meanwhile, some other individuals learned to exploit photons to create weaponry, and eventually shielding technology to counter said weaponry - said weaponry was probably simply pre-photonic weaponry converted to use primitive photon cages to enhance their destructive power (along the lines of stuff like the Agito), and the shielding was likely equally primitive - simple, concentrated bands of low-frequency photons used in place of the heavy metal stuff people used to block swords and axes. Eventually the shielding technology grew so advanced that physical blades began to become less effective than modern photon weaponry.

As photons are an inherently unstable form of energy, early reactors were likely very low-yield, and highly dependent on the mind of the user (even more so than modern reactors are now).

(Side note: If someone were to develop a power source completely independent from photons, it is quite theoretically possible that that individual could create powered machines that are virtually impervious to attack from current photon-based weaponry.)

Most likely, relatively modern technology like advanced personal computers with wireless internet were not developed until the advent of A-Photon reactors, and likewise with the highly advanced, powerful engines that fuel their spacecraft. These reactors are enormous, however, and it wouldn't be for many years that the technology was refined enough to allow for the advent of nanotransformers.

Nanotransformers control A-Photons, which can be used to create localized warps in space - In other words, "folding" space to create emptiness where there used to be matter, and then "unfolding" that space when that matter needs to be retrieved. Naturally, the physics behind this phenomenon are far too advanced for layman comprehension.

Eventually, humans, in their hubris, began dabbling in advanced genetic modification and dangerously intelligent A.I. programs with human-like, bipedal shells, which resulted in the birth of Newmans, Beasts, and CASTs, and ironically ended with them ending up lowest on the rungs of social order.

Now, when someone uses photon weaponry and attacks with it, the actual physical force of the blow has little to do with how much damage it causes (completely unlike attacking with a physical blade, naturally). Rather, the damage is a factor of how that individual controls the photons within their own body - their radiance, in other words. An individual with a high ATP has a strong tendancy to "shove" its photons with great force, whereas an individual with high ATA has a tendancy to focus its photons into narrow spaces, increasing its penetration power, while an individual with a high TP exerts great control over photons within their surroundings, abjuring the bizarre phenomenon known as TECHNICs.

Meanwhile, an individual may learn to exert control over photons in a particular, practiced manner - the abilities known as photon arts. While an individual's base stats concern how an individual moves its photons (and how much of said photons that individual has), it is these arts that determine how much photons an individual can actually pour into a single attack - an individual with incredible radiance that is trying to cast Foie for the first time has never arranged the photons in that particular manner before, and thus cannot move as many and still successfully cast it as someone who has practiced it several thousands of times - however, their higher radiance naturally means the attack will still possess a good measure of effectiveness, as the relatively few photons that are being controlled are very tightly, precisely controlled; so while someone who knows Foie like the back of their hand but has almost no radiance can pump tons of photons into that attack, it is considerably less effective than someone with an even marginally higher radiance.

As photons infuse virtually all known space (and probably even space we don't know about), photon weaponry can affect everything it touches, which varies based on the material of what it is making contact with and whether or not the individual carrying it is actively attempting to exert its will on the environment. It is likely entirely possible for someone of sufficient radiance to crater in a large, 2' thick sheet of metal by sending its photons crashing against the object with its own mind-boggling willpower (also known as ATP. It is, however, likely to cause backlash - equal and opposite reaction, y'know). This does not work on living creatures due to their natural barriers, but it still causes grevious harm to their hex purity.

That sound 'bout right?

Libram
Mar 19, 2009, 04:37 PM
Everything looks right, although I do think that a photon blade can cut through matter quite easily.

Zyrusticae
Mar 19, 2009, 07:30 PM
Alright, so what would be a proper analogy to the relative "hardness" (used loosely here, as obviously energy has no hardness) of caged photons and regular ol' matter? Knife and butter?

So it'd be like, material armor and shielding is useless against photon weaponry because said weaponry easily penetrates said material, hence why line shields are en vogue and any armor used to date is simply ceremonial or decorative.

So if one were to, say, create a photon hammer (I know there's one already, but it is an axe, and it is a sorta joke weapon...), it could conceivably dent metal in a manner similar to, say, a weapon made out of diamond (theoretically, of course, as there's no such thing)?

Libram
Mar 19, 2009, 11:20 PM
I'd liken the flow of photons to the flow of water. Get water moving fast enough and it can cut through steel. In my explanation the same applies. In my examples the photons themselves are flowing at such a fast rate that they interrupt molecular bonds. A knife can do the exact same thing with pressure, but a photon blade is so efficient that it can cut through all types of matter.

As for a hammer I need to actually sit and think about that some more. Blunt weapons do exist as evidenced by the Fist type, and I'm trying to figure out how the photons can act as a solid surface. Otherwise the constant flow would make the weapons act more like a nuclear powered cheese grater or belt sander.

Oh, maybe the photon flow in blunt weapons are kept exceedingly slower but far more concentrated, thus creating a slow moving surface that instead of cutting through molecular bonds it actually grabs and drags the molecules themselves. With the proper alignment and contact would always be away from your fist and add just that much more force to your attack.

Another solution is that the photon surface doesn't actually connect with the target. Instead it acts as a strengthening agent for the material that forms the blunt surface used to strike an enemy and keep it from breaking. The real power behind a Fist weapon comes from movement and the generator-enhanced ATP of the wielder.

I'm liking that final explanation the most.

Zyrusticae
Mar 20, 2009, 12:47 AM
Hm, this might be a little complicated...
[spoiler-box]http://www.pso-world.com/psu/items/89/4979-m.jpghttp://www.pso-world.com/psu/items/108/4978-m.jpg[/spoiler-box]
Note the wildly varying design between the two knuckles; the first knuckle's striking surface is covered entirely by photons, while the second knuckle has the photons arrayed around the striking surface, and nowhere near the actual point of impact (assuming one uses it to punch and not to slap).

I've no idea what the photon bands around the second knuckle might actually do. Maybe they do simply reinforce the surface, but it seems the principle behind it would be nothing at all like the Tenora Works version.

biggabertha
Mar 20, 2009, 04:26 AM
Now that's really interesting...

Until you think about how females attack normally with Knuckles - they perform a backhand.

Then again, if you imagine photons as something bladed or infinitely sharp at the molecular level, then perhaps this is for streamlining. Particular attention should be made for Bogga Zubba where the emphasis is on the spin and the incredible forward movement required by it.

I have to admit though, if you look at the GRM knuckles... that kinda destroys everything that I have to say about streamlining!! Ha ha ha !!

But if Streamlining really is a factor for some weapons, the Yohmei Axes are in real trouble...

Xaeris
Mar 24, 2009, 02:05 PM
I owe this thread an appearance, even if my finest BS has already been presented. First, to save myself of prefacing everything with "imo," I'll say that nothing I write here has any authority beyond my universe.

As far as melee weapons go, I don't believe a weapon made with ban-photons feels hot, or a weapon made with zon-photon feels tingly. While those photons can be responsible for manifestations of their respective elements when applied appropriately through technics, they operate a little differently for striking based attacks. I figure that photons follow more or less the same rules of matter as everything else; so then, opposites attract. The goal of attacking is to overwhelm the enemy's shield with foreign photons. If you attack an ray-photon shield with a ban-photon weapon, the ray-photons will cling onto the ban-photons as they pass by, actually sucking them up into the shield. Likewise, if you attack a ray-photon shield with a ray-photon weapon, they will repel each other, preventing the weapon's photons from breaching the shield.

On the subject of skills, I think photons can be used for a wide variety of superhuman feats; leaping up high, super quick movement, kicking smart mouthed douchebags through walls, etc. So, all sorts of martial arts adapted these capabilities into their practices and refined them for economy of movement and power. What a disc does is install those movements into one's muscle memory.

Actually, going off that, I figure any skill disc has the complete move at maximum power on it, even the ones you buy from shops. The problem is that some practice is still needed to acclimate one's muscles to their use. As is the constant theme with my fic, learning things the natural, difficult way yields much better results than the synthetic way.

Freshellent
Mar 24, 2009, 09:43 PM
Ah, I'm quite pleased with this thread. Considering how much time I've sat around daydreaming about this very subject, it's nice to know people have the same general idea as I do.

However, there are a few things I somewhat disagree on. Moreover, I feel a little differently on how Photon Arts in general work.

There a quite a few limiting factors in terms of gameplay that prevent us from really exploring what this sort of technology will let us do. Specificly Photon Discs that teach one how to do a certain move availible for that weapon.

I have a problem with this for certain reasons, one is if everyone fights the same damn way, then the SEED would have wiped us out much sooner than planned. The other thing I didn't see addressed was something like classes ( Protranser, Fortetecher for example )

So I'll cover the first thing, PAs. imo, aren't set in stone. I think the reason for discs in-game are simply a game mechanic and a factor for us to work off simply because it is a game. The reason I say this is because of something already mentioned. If we all fight the same, we'd never progress. Examples like Dugrega the Axe PA, on smaller characters you simply don't jump as high, the amount of force from the 2nd stab wouldn't be as much and much less damaging. Pick any PA and plug in the same type of examples and it should be clear why I think this.

More importantly, the photons react to the user. Based on the reactors power and the personal strength it's easier for me to think that every use of a particular weapon is unique and up to the weilder.

Second issue. Classes. To me this is very simple. Every GUARDIAN is given a nanotransformer, this holds all of his/her personal gear/clothes/weapons/and items they collect. I don't think it's unreasonable to have only a certain amount of space in your nanotransformer to carry a certain amount of things and I don't think size of things matter because of this:

GUARDIANs are assigned a base "type". Hunter, Ranger and Force. The other types are either hybrids or pure, more advanced versions of the existing types. Every GUARDIAN must obtain a license in order to weild a specific weapon, use a trap, cast a tech, what have you. I think this can be solely based on your Nanotransformer.

Think about it, if your a licensed Fortetecher, your nanotransformer is made with the intent of storing force related weapons. In order to weild such weapons you need places to store it, this keeps your pallet organized and your hands free, until you need to switch. For practical purposes, this allows GUARDIANs to set themselves apart. You won't see Fortegunners using Axes simply because their nanotransformers don't allow them to carry such a thing, as well as the obvious lack of training.

I'm sure the GUARDIAN higher ups could keep track of equipment, types much easier this way. Switching your type/license just means your exchanging your former nano to another one to fit the job. Well, it's more likely that your license would remove some sort of lock on your Nanotransformer, or adjust is prerameters or what have you.

We can look at TECHs in a similar matter, since no one in this particular game seems to be able to cast a TECH without the assist of a weapon or TCSM, you'll be able to keep track of things like that no problem.

Of course, there are things like rogues, and custom pallets. Weapons that don't belong in certain classes, etc. This can be explained by the lack of control from a chain of command. GUARDIANs are expected to help others, thus are given tools and licenses to do so. This is under a strict protocall, with the exception of instructors and the like. Rogues/Pirates are prolly thieves to begin with, and simply adjust the kind of things their transformers can carry with whatever limitations might come up. This is done through trial and error, and prolly yield less successful results most likely. Though, it could be just extremely advanced users that don't need guidelines to follow. Hence why GUARDIAN Instructors have very different pallets from the presets, experience etc.

GUARDIANs on the otherhand have something set out already for them, a synergy of weapon combinations and excellent hands on training to go with it.

I hope this made sense, I tend to ramble.

Zyrusticae
Mar 24, 2009, 10:11 PM
Hm, yeah. I very much like the idea of photon arts simply being pre-programmed banks of "muscle memory", and photons being used to augment one's natural abilities to possibly absurd extents. (Which also makes me wonder... could someone perhaps project an aura without the help of the aura field unit if they have enough control over their own radiance? Ah, stuff to ponder..). It's pretty obvious that photon arts, as they exist in-game, are there for simple technological/creative/financial limitations. Which gives me lots of interesting ideas for fights, should I ever get the inclination to write them...

Classes... Classes I don't like to think about much. The idea of being forced to be the same as someone else just strikes me as off. Granted, if we assume PAs are not strictly limited, there can be plenty of variety even within the same types, but always being in the shadow of a certain progenitor would drive me (and especially my character, Teranu) totally mad.

But I probably wouldn't mind as much if they existed merely for organizational purposes. The whole idea of an "Aegis", on the other hand, not so much. But that's just personal preference.

Gunslinger-08
Mar 24, 2009, 10:41 PM
I was always under the impression that the more over the top photon art skills:

-activated built-in thrusters on the weapons (like with Bogga Robado's final combo)
-"surged" energy/photons into the muscles of the weapon's user, creating an extreme but temporary explosion in strength, allowing Jabroga leaps and whatnot

The idea is each different photon art would be more realistically portrayed as a fighting style aided by specific programming into the weapon. An art like Anga Dugrega programs the reactor to surge energy (to thrusters or the user) in controlled bursts when the art is activated, allowing for the initial forward strike, extra force as the second combo's jump comes down, and another surge of thrust as the axe is torn from the ground upward.

An art like Anga Jabroga tells the reactor to charge in two bursts. The first one, a large one acts as a capacitor, releasing the energy into thrusters or the user as he/she makes the jump. A secondary discharge happens on impact, literally releasing a photon shockwave so intense that it severely damages matter and line shields of nearby objects and beings.

Anga Redda simply provides a constant output of additional power for the weapon/user.

Now the way I see bullets, they all simply work as photon focusing crystals.
When you first buy a lvl 1 bullet, it's a simple crystal that is either infused with elemental photons or is designed to change the physical shape and properties of photon energy that passes through it.

Once the bullet is placed inside the weapon, use over time hardens and refines the focusing crystal through heat and photon bombardment, and allows the weapon to increase the intensity of the energy it fires through it without damaging the crystal. The idea of photon art bullets being physical items also fits in well with the fact that you can switch them between your characters.

Zyrusticae
Mar 24, 2009, 11:32 PM
The "thrusters" idea makes some sense, given the description on the official site.

According to it, the actual amount of energy created from photons varies wildly from person to person (hence the difference in base stats between a level 1 Newman Force and a level 150 Newman ForteFighter) - but it's the photon reactors and drivers that actually take this energy and do something with it.

That said, considering how much it depends on the individual, it doesn't seem out of line that someone could function perfectly well in a fight without using any photon arts at all. The skill disks are merely a shortcut to previous knowledge, or at least, that's how I'd prefer to see it. Being limited to only so many bursts per string just seems way too limited, especially in any real-world situation, and especially because relying on a similar string of movements is easily counter-able by anyone who's observed you fight even once.

In a fight not limited by the logistical considerations of a psuedo-MMORPG, I would assume that the user controls specifically when and in what directions the "drivers" go in, with experienced users being able to produce more advanced and more destructive effects. The difference between a level 40/1 FF using something like Dugreda and a level 150/20 FM doing the same would be astronomical - more than the mere numbers being a good, big bit apart, the sheer amount of energy created by the more experienced user could possibly be enough to drive holes into reinforced metal walls with his bare fists while the more inexperienced fighter might not yet be able to break wood (though of course, it's preferable to use a knuckle just in case the line shield isn't enough to prevent the equal-and-opposite reaction from breaking the fists in question). In fact, if we assume that a level 1 human hunter's base stats are the norm for regular ol' citizens, Guardians are breaking the limits of human ability using photon technology on a frighteningly regular basis. (Not that that's very surprising, considering they're taking on things like De Ragan with their fists...)

Although I still think attack speed/movement speed should be a stat of some kind, that's neither here nor there.

Come to think of it, how does one explain the speed increase from the master classes?

biggabertha
Mar 25, 2009, 04:14 AM
Photon Art level cap, Photon Art PP usage increase and severely limited weapon and Line Shield carrying/usage capacity makes for a lighter and more agile class.

With only the best of the best weapons available that are all crafted from the highest and best photon reactors, Master classes throw out caution and focus entirely on executing attacks with the very best equipment.

Advanced classes and Hybrid Classes as well as Basic classes have not reached that level of expertise and training - hence, the requirement for a Master Class is to have two Advanced classes significantly trained.

I mean, Going from Fortegunner to a Gunmaster, I've noticed that my weapon palette just got cleared of a LOT of weapons and now I only carry eight weapons with me as opposed to Fortegunner's nineteen or so.