PDA

View Full Version : PC/PS2 Question for PC/PS2 players who have played 360 PSU

Poppaspanx
Mar 22, 2009, 06:36 AM
Ok first of all, first post on these forums (I've browsed them a lot however).

So about 6-7 months ago I played PSU+AOTI online for 2-3 weeks with a friend of mine on the 360. LOVED it. However, had to cancel my subscription because I was still playing another MMO at the time, and for those who are exp'd with MMO's, you'd probably know it's hard to play two MMO's at once unfortunately =\.

Anyways, I've been playing WoW for about 5 months after quitting for 2 years, but the thing is... The game is WAY too time consuming >_<. The common guild there expects you to raid (for those who don't know what it is, it's basically when you go with 25 people into a dungeon and fight monsters, bosses, etc.) for 3 nights a week for like 4 hours a night. Honestly, I can't handle that. I have too much going on in my R/L to sacrifice 3/7 of my week nights to a game. So I decided perhaps it's time I go back to PSU, since the game is a bit more light on it's feet, since missions don't really take too long, so it's not necessary to play for several hours in a row, and be able to stop playing when you want to stop.

So anyways, I want to go back to PSU, but one problem... My GF wants to play too. She doesn't have a 360, and they're god dam expensive to get for just one game. So I've been thinking about going to the PC/PS2 servers. First of all, was wondering how good are the PC/PS2 servers compared to 360? I've heard they're much more populated, which is good. Xbox servers don't have too many users around as far as I know. Also, is it fun playing PSU on a PC rather than on a system?

Now, here's where it gets more confusing. I have a mac. Not just a mac though, a macbook. It only has a 120gb hard drive, and I have 66.48 GB available. I have windows XP (which I've installed on my computer before but uninstalled it again) but here's another problem. I can't make more than a 20 gb partition for windows. What is a partition? Basically what the Mac does when you want to install Windows is it divides your hard drive into two, one for mac one for windows. However, in order to make this partition, you have to have double the space available for the partition that you're making on your mac partition. A bit complicated, but here's an example.

Let's say you want to make 20 gb on your windows, you have to have 40 gb left on your mac AFTER the partition, or else it won't work at all.

Now, PSU+AOTI = 9 GB. Considering Windows XP takes up somewhere between 5-10 gb, plus PSU which takes up 9 gb, the free space I'll have is VERY small, if not none at all.

On the other hand, I have quite a lot of spending money. I COULD either...

1. Uninstall WoW, make windows, re-install WoW. This would pull off making the partition, however would probably only offer a 32 GB partition, which is still quite small. Considering I'll probably want more than just one game on my Hard Drive, even this won't be THAT big. I'd re-install WoW just because INCASE I went back some day.

2. Buy an EXTERNAL drive. I'm not 100% sure if you can actually partition these, which makes it a bit more complicated. However, these go up to 1 TB in size, which is plenty. The only problem with this is that since I have a laptop, having an External Drive around all the time might be a pain in the ass. Although on the positive side, I could really do with some extra HD space considering how much I actually install and what not.

3. Simple, buy a PS2. The only problem with this one is that I like to use my 55 inch LCD in our family room, and usually at night my family likes using that TV, so I would have to move around my PS2 all the time to another TV in the house. Also, the PS2 isn't portable like a laptop is.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. Apologies for the wall of text.

Cheers-

Arika
Mar 22, 2009, 07:06 AM
If you are looking for game for casual players, I think you come on the right track here ;)

I don't play the 360 ver, so I can't answer you those.

Poppaspanx
Mar 22, 2009, 07:14 AM
If you are looking for game for casual players, I think you come on the right track here ;)

I don't play the 360 ver, so I can't answer you those.

Yeah, I have to say PSU is by far the best game to play lightly. I mean it's just I don't mind playing several hours in a row, but seriously you can't afk at all during raids on WoW, so you're stuck on your comp for like 4 hours straight. I'd rather have a game that I can just stop whenever I feel like it. Plus, people treat the game like it's a job. You have to submit an application, get interviewed, get trialed, etc. to just join a guild. It's really ridiculous.

One question you probably will be able to answer, though... On the 360 servers, everyone did White Dragons. EVERYONE. Is it the same on PC/PS2 servers? Oh and also, how many channels are usually filled up/popular?

Thanks in advance.

Arika
Mar 22, 2009, 07:28 AM
Too bad, I dunno that question still, because I rarely be on white beast.
once you have enough friends you will know that you can play any area you want, no need a hot spot.

Poppaspanx
Mar 22, 2009, 07:42 AM
Hmm, that's good to know. I get sick of white beasts after a while =\ it's fun to do other missions generally.

I might actually get the PC version in the end... Just delete WoW, then reinstall it after I've partitioned my HD. I read that there's going to be a graphics update, but it won't apply to the PS2. Also, I can get a PS2 controller and hook it up to my PC then just play the game like that. Plus it looks like more people are using PC for PSU rather than a PS2, plus I'd rather not get a last-generation system. I read up that 32 gigs is actually plenty, I can probably install a few games if I want to.

Thanks for the answers, I'm looking forward to coming back to PSU ^_^

Cheers

Poppaspanx
Mar 22, 2009, 09:21 AM
Very little. From what I've heard, you'll be lucky to find 3 stars on one Universe, whereas the 360 servers have constant 2 Unis full.

I find (as someone who plays it on the PC and the 360) that the controls on the 360 are a lot more fluid and you can jump right into it.

I wouldn't recommend doing this.

Really? I thought the PC servers were quite populated. That's quite interesting that the 360 servers are more popular than the PC ones... I saw someone the other day on this forum saying they need more people on the 360 servers because there's more people on there. I don't know though, I've only been on the 360 servers.

Yeah, 360 controls are easy though I have to say. It's fun playing it on my xbox.

I have to say if the xbox is THAT much better, I'm in a bit of a sticky situation. 360's are mad ass expensive, and my gf's family is in a bit of a sticky situation with this economy at the moment. I mean really, look at this. http://www.ebgames.com/Browse/Search.aspx?N=133+196 that's not exactly very cheap. Cheaper than it used to be, but still not cheap.

And yeah, I didn't really wanna buy a PS2 anyways. It was just a thought.

Arika
Mar 22, 2009, 09:34 AM
Zero theBurniantor, he only asked PC/PS2 people who has played 360 before
Not ask to people in 360 lol, because the answer will weight to that side.

I would answer all his questions since started, if I didn't mind his topic request (PC/PS2 people that have played 360)

Poppaspanx
Mar 22, 2009, 09:41 AM
Zero theBurniantor, he only asked PC/PS2 people who has played 360 before
Not ask to people in 360 lol, because the answer will weight to that side.

I would answer all his questions since started, if I didn't mind his topic request (PC/PS2 people that have played 360)

I'm flexible either way, if anyone has any ideas even that will work.

However, I've been checking the official PSU forums and I noticed quite a few people are complaining about the PC servers being dead. Looks like zero was right =\

Poppaspanx
Mar 22, 2009, 09:47 AM
Well, I have (and play) the PC version offline, so I still fit the requirements :p

I would say go with the PC version for a bit, and see how you like it. It's only $10 a month. If you really dislike the small population (It's a tight knit family, some people like it, some people don't), then you might consider getting the 360 version.

I have the 360 version already, played it for about 2-3 weeks online I'd say. I gotta say though I can't stand a low population, I've been in low population servers before and it's really not for me. Every time I go to a new game, I always go to the highest populated server.

Arika
Mar 22, 2009, 09:52 AM
In that case I guess you should search this forum for this kind of thread I guess, there are plenty, if you don't really need the idea that must come from people who moved from 360 server from PC. (I only know a few, but they don't on forum often)

for instant : http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158957&highlight=vent

most of this kind of topic ended up with console war when the author doesn't ask for opinion specific to players that played both side, because most people ask newbies to go play their system. So I suggest you better look around old thread

Poppaspanx
Mar 22, 2009, 09:59 AM
In that case I guess you should search this forum for this kind of thread I guess, there are plenty, if you don't really need the idea that must come from people who moved from 360 server from PC. (I only know a few, but they don't on forum often)

for instant : http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158957&highlight=vent

most of this kind of topic ended up with console war when the author doesn't ask for opinion specific to players that played both side, because most people ask newbies to go play their system. So I suggest you better look around old thread
Hm, yeah I'm probably best of just looking around the forums. I gotta say though, 1 star on PC servers? A bit low for me =\ Regardless, I'll look into it.

P.S. Ty for the help so far.

Arika
Mar 22, 2009, 10:03 AM
search around is the best, the one I linked you was the newest one, but well, no lol, 1 star max was what that person assumed (he is 360)

Will_Nonheim
Mar 22, 2009, 10:06 AM
I have been on both versions of PSU, moving from 360 to PC/PS2.

If you say you can't stand a low population game, then PSU PC/PS2 is not for you. The population is abysimally low in comparison to the 360 version.
If you're going PC via a Mac (how I envy you; my computer is also a mac, but just the generation prior to the intel cores. No Windows for me, so no PSU on my computer), now, how "The PC/PS2 controls suck" is entirely irrelevant given you can pretty much plug in a 360 controller into the USB slot and customize it to have pretty much the same controls as the 360 version. However you seem like you're in something of a pinch with your computer space there, so I dunno.

I moved to the PC/PS2 version due to a dislike of the general 360 community. I enjoy the PC/PS2 community a lot more, they're much nicer, IMO. But, yes, they are in far fewer numbers. So if you think you can handle a smaller community with nicer people, then go PC/PS2. If you can't, then I suggest actually not playing PSU at all. It's slowly dying anyway... Keep your money and wait for like, Phantasy Star 0. Buy a DS each and enjoy wireless light MMO gaming on the go? >_>; It might prove more effective at this rate. But yeah.

That's my take on it.

Poppaspanx
Mar 22, 2009, 10:08 AM
search around is the best, the one I linked you was the newest one, but well, no lol, 1 star max was what that person assumed (he is 360)
Oo I see, that makes more sense. I was gonna say lolwut? 1 star?

But yeah, I'll look into that post and other related ones. I don't wanna turn this into one of those war topics either, not saying pc is better than xbox or xbox is better than pc =\

Poppaspanx
Mar 22, 2009, 10:16 AM
I have been on both versions of PSU, moving from 360 to PC/PS2.

If you say you can't stand a low population game, then PSU PC/PS2 is not for you. The population is abysimally low in comparison to the 360 version.
If you're going PC via a Mac (how I envy you; my computer is also a mac, but just the generation prior to the intel cores. No Windows for me, so no PSU on my computer), now, how "The PC/PS2 controls suck" is entirely irrelevant given you can pretty much plug in a 360 controller into the USB slot and customize it to have pretty much the same controls as the 360 version. However you seem like you're in something of a pinch with your computer space there, so I dunno.

I moved to the PC/PS2 version due to a dislike of the general 360 community. I enjoy the PC/PS2 community a lot more, they're much nicer, IMO. But, yes, they are in far fewer numbers. So if you think you can handle a smaller community with nicer people, then go PC/PS2. If you can't, then I suggest actually not playing PSU at all. It's slowly dying anyway... Keep your money and wait for like, Phantasy Star 0. Buy a DS each and enjoy wireless light MMO gaming on the go? >_>; It might prove more effective at this rate. But yeah.

That's my take on it.
I gotta say PSU is getting kinda old at this point as well, I'll agree with you there. No major updates, or expansions lately... They really need to start making a new Phantasy Star, I think. Something that really shines... You're probably right though, probably not too smart to play PSU. Besides, I got PSU portable. I can always play that when I'm bored too =P

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised at all if I ended up just sticking with WoW. It's far from dead, and I think again I just need to find a way to lightly play it. It's possible, just not that easy.

Oh well, it was worth a shot doing some research anyways. Thanks to all for those who helped me out with this situation. It's a shame to see PSU the way it is, but I can't say I'm too surprised sadly =\.

Cheers- Thanks again.

biggabertha
Mar 22, 2009, 10:18 AM
I have a Macbook as well. I run a 32GB Windows partition on it and the thing that lets you down whilst playing PSU is the abysmal graphics a MacBook has - unless you have one of the newer metal framed models. Those things have a better graphics card in them that might just be able to run PSU comfortably.

I've found that on my MacBook, I can't play PSU intensely on it for more than a couple of hours - it warms up too much at that point mainly because I'm running Windows via BootCamp that's an emulation program anyway.

I've got 4GB of RAM in it too and 16GB of the partitioned hard drive is totally free, mine's the black 2.2GHz MacBook.

Unfortunately, I lock myself away on isolated universes (much to Arika's annoyance...) and play solo but there are several people that run open parties here and there. You'll be able to find parties eventually.

The best benefits of playing on a PC is the very-near instant loading of weapons, stages and the ability of taking screenshots/videos.

I would not recommend you to run Windows off an external hard drive to play PSU on your MacBook. The extra processor power that's needed to run things off of a USB port and the extra time needed to access it could be bothersome - and most importantly, more heat for your computer.

Once your laptop gets to a certain temperature, it will crash PSU - this sucks big time, believe me.

But if you have one of those cooler things, heh, no worries.

Arika
Mar 22, 2009, 11:12 AM
ZeroTheburniantor, what he talked is refer to my link page, not from your post. there is 1 person said "it is max at 1 star"

Mewnie
Mar 22, 2009, 06:40 PM
If WoW isn't for you, and PSU just doesn't have the population you'd like, you can always try City of Heroes. They're in open beta for the next Issue (free expansion), testing thier new mission creator feature. Player created content! No raiding required.

RemiusTA
Mar 22, 2009, 07:08 PM
Or you could go REALLY low and check out FlyFF...?

As a matter of fact, i think everyone should. PSU is leaning more and more towards it. ><

Mewnie
Mar 22, 2009, 10:51 PM
Or you could go REALLY low and check out FlyFF...?

As a matter of fact, i think everyone should.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/MagpieMouse/MewnPSU/Lulz/theonlycure.jpg

Runehades
Mar 23, 2009, 11:01 AM
Wow you're going through almost the exact same thing I'm going through. Ok so I've been playing WoW since launch and I played PSU on PC/PS2 when it was initially released. I played it on my PS2 and my GF on PC. We got the old gang from the PSO days back on and it was all great fun but then people started to quit so I ended up back on WoW. Raiding was fun because I had the time but recently I can't dedicate myself to the weekly raids either so I decided to reactivate PSU.

I also came to these forums for help. My characters are only lvl 51, 27, 10 and 10 which is nothing but I had 4 PM's at max lvl for synth items and made a lot of money selling high % weapons when I used to play. So my dimema was should I start back at square 1 in a much more populated 360 server or continue my well funded characters on my old account. Most suggested I go 360 so I decided to reactivate my PC/PS2 account and try the 360 as well.

Well 2 weeks later my funds are decent and my character is almost as high as my PC/PS2 characters. I love PSU on PC/PS2 but servers are so empty and groups are so seldom. If your starting from the beginning I'd say go 360. My wife (former gf who played PSU with me) wants to get a 360 now because she's seen how awesome the game is now compred to when it was released.

RemiusTA
Mar 23, 2009, 03:30 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/MagpieMouse/MewnPSU/Lulz/theonlycure.jpg

More like

http://weblog.datguy.net/images/KeyboardFrustration.gif

Revolver Renegade
Mar 23, 2009, 08:42 PM
I CAN HELP!! YAY! I used to play the PSU PS2 severs and later went to 360. The PS2 severs are short on people, along with way more rediculous prices in the shops. (about 1.5x more at least) the people are generally nicer, but that might be because people acutually type and dont say stupid things over a mic. youll find a lot more help from people and lobbying (if thats your thing) is generally enjoyable with random people.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Mar 25, 2009, 10:42 AM
Well dang. Now I regret buying a PS3. Is anyone here sure I can't play PSU on my PS3? Does anyone even know if PS3 is gonna get a PSU in the near future? I just sold off my PS2 thinking that yea, I could play AotI on my PS3 without any worries. Any response would be appreciated. Oh and yes I did search the forums but I couldn't find nothin.

Dhylec
Mar 25, 2009, 11:53 AM
Well dang. Now I regret buying a PS3. Is anyone here sure I can't play PSU on my PS3? Does anyone even know if PS3 is gonna get a PSU in the near future? I just sold off my PS2 thinking that yea, I could play AotI on my PS3 without any worries. Any response would be appreciated. Oh and yes I did search the forums but I couldn't find nothin.

If you have AoI disc for PS2, you can play it on PS3 w/o problem.

Calsetes
Mar 25, 2009, 12:07 PM
I think it depends on the model of PS3 though - the newer ones from what I heard aren't backwards-compatible. I think this is how it went (not sure, so don't use me as the "PS3 compatibility god" or anything):

The first batch of PS3s had pretty much the guts of a PS2 inside of them, so they worked with like 99.9% of the games out there.

The second batch of PS3s had emulated PS2s on them, but still had some SACD audio chip or something, so they were still mostly compatible, but less so than the original PS3s.

The third batch of PS3s got rid of the SACD chip, as well as the emulation for PS2s, so they weren't compatible anymore with the older games.

Again, I'm not sure if that's what the case was, or if I just imagined I read that somewhere online, but check Sony's website for their PS3 compatibility list - it has model numbers of PS3s on there, and how compatible they are.

Dragwind
Mar 25, 2009, 01:17 PM
I'm not sure about recent PS3 models, but there is a model that had PS2 backwards compatibility removed.

Calsetes
Mar 25, 2009, 01:27 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3#Retail_configurations

That has the info. I was wrong about the SACD chip thing, it was Super Audio CD compatibility.

Edit: Makes me real happy I bought one of the first ones in the store when they came out - had to wait 3 days outside to get it (and it was the store I worked at, too!). Not quite as fun as when I waited for my 360 on launch (that was only from 9:00 the night before they came out), but still pretty fun. We even had some guys who brought a projector and played Smash Brothers on the side of the building!

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Mar 25, 2009, 02:53 PM
I believe they have a backwards compatability download on PSN that is for the newer models. I'm gonna test it out on some of my other games *cough*Persona 4*cough* and see how that mofo works out. If it does, awesome sauce.

Calsetes
Mar 25, 2009, 03:04 PM
That's the first I'm hearing of it - I know they have a thing where you can download a hard drive emulator for PS2 games on there, but as far as I know, it was just for those games that supported the hard drive (the whole two of them outside of FFXI).