PDA

View Full Version : How would you fix / modify PSU to make it better?

SELENNA
Mar 23, 2009, 09:26 PM
Hello,

I would like to know how you would want Phantasy Star Universe to work as so it's a better, more fun game experience. Don't think about costs, just list all what you think PSU is missing, doing wrong, needs to change, etc.

I'm curious and would like to know if you have the same complaints / ideas for features as me.

Chuck_Norris
Mar 23, 2009, 09:30 PM
I'd fix Sega. No, fuck that. I'd switch Sega with a decent company.

Zyrusticae
Mar 23, 2009, 09:35 PM
Okay, then:

Effective international advertising. (At least buy up some banner ads.)

Add an international free trial. (Goes well with the above.)

Balance the damn missions.

Give something to techers, and possibly hybrids.

Release all the friggin' items. Or at least, a good chunk of the ones we still, for some reason, over two years past release, do not have.

ashley50
Mar 23, 2009, 09:48 PM
play something else...besides this game.

MightierToaster
Mar 23, 2009, 09:55 PM
Make the final Xbox Achievement obtainable.

Juza
Mar 23, 2009, 10:06 PM
- Port Acromaster over from PSP.

- Physically abuse SoJ until they realize there's a world outside of Japan and that their snootiness isn't helping Sega recover from their history of fail.

- Verbally abuse SoJ until they come up with some half-decent AI for enemy NPCs.

- Boost random PAs and tech damage. You know, instead of pointlessly nerfing Jabroken/etc. and causing more whining.

Edit:

- Add party search functionality. IE, go to random Guardians counter, find/join an existing party anywhere. Because, you know, running across Gurhal trying to find people not doing White Beast is totally fun. Oh yeah.

There you go, fix'd. :P

pinkace
Mar 23, 2009, 10:32 PM
Release all the friggin' items. Or at least, a good chunk of the ones we still, for some reason, over two years past release, do not have.

what would those be?

My suggestion would be to balance the missions, like someone else said. I'm sick of White Beast. I want to play other missions but there is no one else to play with anywhere else.

Stop blaming Sega (SoA or SoJ) for lack of content for PSU. they cant release the updates until Microsoft okays them, even stupid things like lobby changes need to be approved months in advance.

my final fix would be to bring all PSU players together under one server, like PSO used to be. a true Universe

Suzuka Miyamoto
Mar 23, 2009, 10:44 PM
Hello,

I would like to know how you would want Phantasy Star Universe to work as so it's a better, more fun game experience. Don't think about costs, just list all what you think PSU is missing, doing wrong, needs to change, etc.

I'm curious and would like to know if you have the same complaints / ideas for features as me.

I would fix all the bullshit. Like showing techs back in their lv31 and 41 forms.
I want to show off my techs to my friends >:(

Zyrusticae
Mar 23, 2009, 10:47 PM
what would those be?
Pretty much everything listed in blue or red in here: http://psupedia.info/Weapons

Stop blaming Sega (SoA or SoJ) for lack of content for PSU. they cant release the updates until Microsoft okays them, even stupid things like lobby changes need to be approved months in advance.What? You realize the 360 isn't the only platform PSU is on, right? As far as I know, they have no such need to report to Microsoft for the PC or the PS2, and somehow I doubt they go through such a process on the 360....

my final fix would be to bring all PSU players together under one server, like PSO used to be. a true Universe
Ah, I thought about that, but if the population were larger this wouldn't be necessary, I think. Which is really the main issue, besides everyone congregating at White Beast, anywho.

Arika
Mar 23, 2009, 10:55 PM
Just some basic structures and this game would turn over.

Map.

-rebalance all mission map again including drop list. Set each mission to have some exclusive or standout point and show the difficulty of each mission at counter by 1 star(easiest) to 5 star( hardest, with worthy rewards).

-remove all the rare spawn/map selection system. Make it as PSO so that people don't spend most of their time abort missions. They could make the drop rate higher to match the situation that players can't abort at b1.

-change the GBR system to run the whole planets not just few selected missions. They wouldn't lose so many customer with the boredom, if they don't force them to play same mission by hotspot system over and over.(in the past when population was higher, they even gave only 1 hot spot mission for the whole month!? as if they want to make them leave!!?)

-since all the mission are too old now, they need to release the new rank of every mission at someday together all at once as a big update to refresh the game again. Thus lure huge population to retry this game. (I don't think it is hard to just add a new rank anyway, just increase monster level to 200.)

Battle

-Change the Just attack! to increase only 1.25x damage, not the whole 100% critical.

-Give the techer has longer incrination time like 2x, while they do 3x damage. So that their play style will be more stand out more than shooting rapid(magic) from behind like ranger. and that 1.5 dps would make them come up dps to fighter level now, with the draw back that they cast so slow and need protection. Make techer be the expert at multi-target destruction!
(note: having slower cast time, mean they can let tech effect to become lv 41+ again with less slow down compare to lv 21 with 2x faster)

Those are what the most important aspect so far, and all of them are something that they can implement it with any system update if they are smart enough.

pinkace
Mar 23, 2009, 11:01 PM
Pretty much everything listed in blue or red in here:

What? You realize the 360 isn't the only platform PSU is on, right? As far as I know, they have no such need to report to Microsoft for the PC or the PS2, and somehow I doubt they go through such a process on the 360....

they do. it is a fact that Sega has acknowledged many times. why do you think they release seasonal decorations literally 2 weeks before the holiday? in Japan, the valentine's decorations were up soon after new years, we got it a few days before 2/14...

every update/change/upgrade has to be approved by MS.

I don't know why they don't upgrade the PS2 and PC servers outside of Japan whenever they want... i guess it's to maintain uniformity in the region? meaning, they can't say good news everyone, our latest update will be effective this weekend. we will have 4 new classes; fighforcegunner, gunforcemaster, warlock-techer and acro-yoda-master, along with a whole new planet, 400 new weapons and S12 missions. for Xbox 360 servers, none of these updates will take place until further notice, however we are happy to report the bug where your item box was replaced by one hundred rappy feathers has been fixed!

i would just get the game for PC and be done with it.

Rust
Mar 23, 2009, 11:02 PM
I'd make the game challenging (and make the challenges varied, for that matter).

No, cheap OHKO's moves aren't a challenge.
They're just cheap.

Powder Keg
Mar 23, 2009, 11:15 PM
Just some simple changes:

- Balance the missions (hopefully this improves with the release of S3 difficulty)
- Market/push the game better
- Get a decent composer or make better use of the music tracks
- Make difficulty increase with more players present (higher enemy HP, and more enemies to fight in general)

Arika brings up a good point about Just Attack that I agree with, having it at full critical damage is just overpowered.

darkante
Mar 23, 2009, 11:48 PM
- Balance all missions

- Balance Masterforce so it equals to Gunmaster and Fighmaster

- Balance Wartecher & Guntecher to equal too other hybrids

- Foes should be increasingly difficult depending on how many are in party and that includes the odds of getting the items as to promote teamplay in the hardest difficulty.
It also banishes Scape Dolls just to make forces a bit more useful.

- Speeding up the amount of new rares we should be able to get as too make the money worth itīs time.

- Alot of new Photon arts. We always need more.

Stuff i could only think for now. Gotta go in a bit.

Tetsaru
Mar 24, 2009, 02:08 AM
I'd fix Sega. No, fuck that. I'd switch Sega with a decent company.

This.

engelsein
Mar 24, 2009, 03:39 AM
Honestly change the whole game, it needs a lot of change, did i mention it needs change? A LOT OF IT?

biggabertha
Mar 24, 2009, 03:42 AM
In PSU, the only difficulty we have with the enemies is:how hard we get hit, how often we hit them, how hard we hit them and how long it takes to kill them. The only enemies in the game that require some kind of thought to kill them, are the ones that can make themselves invulnerable. Even then, you either just wait it out or hit something else.

It's gotten to the point where warping/teleporting enemies are more of a nuisance to us than a clever tactic on the enemy's part.

It's difficult to satisfy people in general. Some will complain things are too easy, others will complain things are too difficult. Some players want to take their time while others want to rush it as quickly as possible - how do you strike a balance?

Everyone's quick to say: "Just balance the missions so it's not boring" but what could possibly satisfy you? How can you change it so that: you will like it for the next 10 or more hours, your friend that has 12 hours a day to play the game will like it and your friend that only has one hour a day to play the game will like it too?

tl;dr version: Will rebalancing missions so that enemies are smarter/faster/stronger really make the missions better? Will adjusting the drop rates really make for a better game?

We don't want these to happen again - if not already:

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g215/Biggabertha/PSO_Comic_8__Percents_by_ZOMGFla-2.png

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g215/Biggabertha/PSO_Comic_11__Episode_2_by_ZOMGF-2.png

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g215/Biggabertha/PSO_Comic_10__Hunting_by_ZOMGFlare.png

Originals here (http://zomgflare.deviantart.com/art/PSO-Comic-8-Percents-27300686), here (http://zomgflare.deviantart.com/art/PSO-Comic-11-Episode-2-27739551) and here (http://zomgflare.deviantart.com/art/PSO-Comic-10-Hunting-27300949).[/SPOILER-BOX]

Those were attempts at making the game "better." [s]Especially the evil Photon Drops...

WHlTEKNIGHT
Mar 24, 2009, 04:19 AM
they do. it is a fact that Sega has acknowledged many times. why do you think they release seasonal decorations literally 2 weeks before the holiday? in Japan, the valentine's decorations were up soon after new years, we got it a few days before 2/14...

every update/change/upgrade has to be approved by MS.

I don't know why they don't upgrade the PS2 and PC servers outside of Japan whenever they want... i guess it's to maintain uniformity in the region? meaning, they can't say good news everyone, our latest update will be effective this weekend. we will have 4 new classes; fighforcegunner, gunforcemaster, warlock-techer and acro-yoda-master, along with a whole new planet, 400 new weapons and S12 missions. for Xbox 360 servers, none of these updates will take place until further notice, however we are happy to report the bug where your item box was replaced by one hundred rappy feathers has been fixed!

i would just get the game for PC and be done with it.
Only thing that ms has to certify is the title updates, nothing else.

Ezodagrom
Mar 24, 2009, 06:23 AM
- Rebalance all missions:
* Rebalancing meseta/mp rewards.
* Increasing the ammount of enemies on certain missions (mostly v1 missions like The Dual Sentinel, which has many huge rooms with like 3 enemies) ._.
* Rebalancing enemies lvls on several missions. For example there are some missions that have lvl 90+ enemies on A rank and some that have lvl 85+ enemies on S2...
My idea about rank rebalancing would be something like...
C rank - lvl 1 to 20
B rank - lvl 25 to 45
A rank - lvl 50 to 95
S rank - lvl 100 to 145
S2 rank - lvl 150 to 170
S3 rank - lvl 175 to 195

- The highest difficulty rank on a certain mission should have enemies higher leveled than the current cap.
For example, using my idea of rank rebalancing, with a lvl 150 cap the lvl 175+ missions should start to be released, and when the cap would get to lvl 170 or 180 we would start getting the next rank (200+)...

- Class rebalance:
* Making ratechs, gitechs, noszonde and nosmegid hit multiple parts of big enemies.
* Increasing Masterforce HP by 15%. It would still have the lowest HP of all classes, but not as low as they have now (increasing from 85% HP mod to 100%, compared to fortecher 112%).
* New light element attack techs (at least a foie equivalente, a ratech and a gitech).
* Making Wartecher and Guntecher somewhat stronger, for example...
Guntecher getting S rank cards, and changing photon arts levels to 20/40/30/40.
Wartecher getting S rank whips and tech mags, and changing photon arts levels to 40/20/40/30 (these PA levels might sound somewhat unfair, but this wouldn't make WT overpowered, due to it's lower stats compared to many other classes).
Also, like this we would finally have some classes that can use S rank cards and S rank whips to their full potential (lvl 40 PA).
Wartecher getting S rank whips and tech mags might sound unfair for acrotecher, but acrotecher is mostly a support class, with only lvl 20 skills it can't use whips at their best...Also S rank tech mags would make more sense to WT than the S rank wands it has, since tech mags are what WT would use together with their melee weapons...
* Maybe also increasing Acrotecher PAs to 30/30/30/50, making it an hybrid of the 3 types of attack while keeping the focus on support (only maybe ^^;).
* Make longbows a bit stronger so they would be as good as rifles...

Gibdozer
Mar 24, 2009, 06:53 AM
Wow, I like it just the way it is lol. I can see your point on the marketing though most of my friends never heard of this game till I mention it, then the license fee scares them off! How about the first 3 months free?

Poppaspanx
Mar 24, 2009, 07:39 AM
Ok, I'm going to list pretty much everything I can think of that would make this game perfect.

1. Character Imbalance. This one, for obvious reasons, needs to be fixed.

2. Map Imbalance. This one, for obvious reasons, needs to be fixed. The fact that everyone does White Beast all the time is retarded. More variety please.

3. GUILDS. A lot of you may disagree with me, but from my long term experience in Online Games, guilds is pretty much mandatory in any real MMO. PSU would be perfect if they had guilds.
No, I'm not talking about the fake cheesy clans that last a day. I'm talking about real guilds, like the ones where in some MMO's last for years.

4. Level requirement for missions. What do I mean by this? Basically, I'm not sure about you guys, but I'd rather not do a mission that you can do at level 10 as well as at level 150. The ranking system for missions is rigged because you're doing the same missions over and over for your whole PSU career, hence why people get so bored. Make ONLY level 130+ missions, or ONLY level 100-120 missions, or something like that. Don't have a "C RANK" version of the same mission that has a level 140 version of it. That's just lame.

5. Add some of the PSP features to the real PSU. What do I mean by this?

The following I give full credit to psupedia.info for.

New features

Phantasy Star Portable introduces a number of new features which will set it apart from its console predecessors.
While in a party for wireless multiplayer, if a rare armor or weapon is collected, it will be distributed to all party members. If a rare item (example: Scape Doll) is collected, the item will then be distributed only to one player (determined by the games item order settings set by the leader).
Drop items in a mission change based on the Guardian type of the party leader.
Enemies and boxes drop only weapons, line shields and related items. Also, photon art disks drop during missions as area drops or boss box drops.
Movement in cities is changed so that you can select a location to go to from a menu instead of walking there. There are no lobbies, as such.
Weapon grinding is changed to get rid of the chance of failure. However, instead of stats increasing at predetermined values, increases will be random.
For the Japan-only PSU mission to commemorate the release of PSP, see Innocent Girl.
The Japanese version of the game also allowed players to import their character data from PSU. This only affected looks, clothes, and level (up to 20) though.
Only SOME of these I agree with, I think Upgrade Grinders are great, BUT I think they should be EXTREMELY rare. A free upgrade is a free ride, and free ride's don't come easy.

I don't agree that items that drop should be according to the leader of the party's class.

I hate the drop down menu personally, this would be stupid for online anyways.

I think also they should add Acromaster + more Master Classes.

6. I read somewhere someone said "Make the monsters harder with more people". Yes, this would be a good idea. I'm finding that missions are far too easy, and they're just farming missions now.

7. LEVEL APPROPRIATE MISSIONS. By this, I mean people shouldn't be able to do missions 15 levels above their level. You should only be able to do missions that are of YOUR level, or approximately close to it.

8. More photon arts. Repetitive gameplay is boring. When will you understand that, Sega? Did you guys major in repetitism?

9. A new, if not several, new base classes. Remember the ol' Hunter, Force, Ranger? Let's see a new class, Sega. Not new master classes, new base classes. Along with a new race, or several new races.

10. Once the game is fixed up and more popular again (if it ever will be >_>) release a new expansion, or better yet if it doesn't get fixed up, which it probably won't, release a new Phantasy Star all together.

Cheers

N2TrAnC3
Mar 24, 2009, 07:40 AM
Dont get me started...

Poppaspanx
Mar 24, 2009, 07:42 AM
Dont get me started...

rofl.

Andy1423
Mar 24, 2009, 08:44 AM
The Main problem with PSU is that they went to far from the path that was working just fine. I'm sorry, but most of the good updates or "changes" that we have been getting somehow revolve around the orgianl PSO. ( i.e. weapons, themes (clothing), ect.) But I'm not going to whine about how I wish PSU is more like PSO.

BUT

Alot of you guys hit the nail on the head. Better variety, a more diversified item drop system....yes yes and yes. About the PSP stuff... it's more creative in general. So why didn't they do it for PSU? Who knows, but it's making the game suffer.

I think a very obvious change that would improve gameplay alot is simply this:

Slow Down the enemies!! Walking into a room and betting bum rushed, and pushed into the corner, until the eneimes are sliding around is STUPID and CHEAP.

Give enemies more HP (while slowing them down) so you have to lay into them more. It's more fun and requires more team work.

KNOCK back IS RETARTED. Changing this would single handedly fix all the other annoying things associated with Tornado Dance, Jabroga, ect. What if knock back, simply did just THAT. Knock them back (slide them back) away from you, creating space between you and the target. Chasing down enemies that are flying around the map is also annyoing.

Thats all I'm going to say for now.

Poppaspanx
Mar 24, 2009, 09:04 AM
The Main problem with PSU is that they went to far from the path that was working just fine. I'm sorry, but most of the good updates or "changes" that we have been getting somehow revolve around the orgianl PSO. ( i.e. weapons, themes (clothing), ect.) But I'm not going to whine about how I wish PSU is more like PSO.

BUT

Alot of you guys hit the nail on the head. Better variety, a more diversified item drop system....yes yes and yes. About the PSP stuff... it's more creative in general. So why didn't they do it for PSU? Who knows, but it's making the game suffer.

I think a very obvious change that would improve gameplay alot is simply this:

Slow Down the enemies!! Walking into a room and betting bum rushed, and pushed into the corner, until the eneimes are sliding around is STUPID and CHEAP.

Give enemies more HP (while slowing them down) so you have to lay into them more. It's more fun and requires more team work.

Down back IS RETARTED. Changing this would single handedly fix all the other annoying things associated with Tornado Dance, Jabroga, ect. What if knock back, simply did just THAT. Knock them back (slide them back) away from you, creating space between you and the target. Chasing down enemies that are flying around the map is also annyoing.

Thats all I'm going to say for now.

I gotta say the things they did with PSP were really smart in my opinion. Title achievements are awesome, too.

I think this topic link should be posted on the official PSU forums so maybe sega can get some ideas (and hopefully listen, then maybe I'd consider coming back to PSU). Up to the OP though, I didn't make this topic.

Calsetes
Mar 24, 2009, 09:39 AM
Honestly, I think it's good enough to last out the rest of its life cycle (which is probably pretty soon, anyway). A few things need to be changed, some classes made stronger, others weaker, but I doubt they'd do it. I would honestly start from scratch and just make a whole new game that would be an improvement on PSU's basework, but still different from both PSU and PSO (yes, different from the game that apparently everyone and their mother thinks is the best thing ever since the invention of electricity). If they made a new online game based off of the old original Phantasy Star franchise, they'd have quite a few races right there - human, cast, newman, motavian, esper, and dezorian, plus I'm sure they'd sneak in a new race or something along the way (whatever Mieu was, but dunno how someone would play a talking cat).

However, if I could only add one thing, it'd be a Swordsman class - they can use swords, sabers, twin sabers, daggers, and twin daggers. Maybe a gun or something, but that'd be getting too far away from swords.

Arika
Mar 24, 2009, 09:50 AM
it is starting here http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160831

pinkace
Mar 24, 2009, 09:54 AM
Only thing that ms has to certify is the title updates, nothing else.

Go to the PSU forums and ask. The game admins usually post on that forum. I found out by asking an admin while they had that "ask an admin in person" event... chillaura explained it to us. this was back in 07 i think.

[SPOILER-BOX]http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g215/Biggabertha/PSO_Comic_11__Episode_2_by_ZOMGF-2.png

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g215/Biggabertha/PSO_Comic_10__Hunting_by_ZOMGFlare.png

Originals here (http://zomgflare.deviantart.com/art/PSO-Comic-8-Percents-27300686), here (http://zomgflare.deviantart.com/art/PSO-Comic-11-Episode-2-27739551) and here (http://zomgflare.deviantart.com/art/PSO-Comic-10-Hunting-27300949).
[/SPOILER-BOX]

dude those are awesome. the first one is so true! what's wrong with people?

Calsetes
Mar 24, 2009, 10:01 AM
I read that, it makes me happy in my special place. Maybe people will actually use other classes, as opposed to demand everyone use fighmaster, and demand that everyone uses spears and axes.

On a side note, I probably won't really change my cast character's SUV away from Paradi, unless it was one of those big fist single punch ones (I forget the name of it), and that's only for macro reasons.

Edit: Not Pink's stuff, though that did remind me of all those times trying to get one of those swords from the guys in ultimate forest (the big green guys that replaced the jiggo boomas).

darkante
Mar 24, 2009, 10:08 AM
Oh yeah, talking about Paradi reminded me of one more thing.

- New SUVS (big explosion, charged super large beam, firing frontal homeseaking missiles)
- Nerf Paradi, get rid of Sturm Buster/Attacker and give the other regular B-A suvs a addition of S-rank upgrade as to give a more reason to make them stronger then the Paradi and not enable lazy mode as you have to aim a bit.

Also every new SUV should be S-rank so it gotta be hunted in itīs special location.
Gives more reason for Cast race to hunt shat also. :D

Calsetes
Mar 24, 2009, 10:17 AM
Hey, I worked hard to look for a Rattlesnake..... that my friend eventually gave me.....

Still haven't found that love inferno though. But yeah, I totally agree with having SUVs that are S-rank, that AREN'T Paradi, and are either totally new ones, or just souped-up versions of the lower-ranked ones. Oh, and Paradi is getting decreased power-wise, that's in the link Arika posted - lower power, less range.... think that's all they're doing to it. Lot of Fighmaster skills getting fixed and downgraded, like Majarra, and Jabroga now having a chance to miss.

Noblewine
Mar 24, 2009, 02:51 PM
*Be able to move around in 1st person or attack.
*More variety in Missions.