PDA

View Full Version : Why are people so pissed about the "government spying on them"...

KodiaX987
Mar 27, 2009, 01:03 PM
...And meanwhile, Twitter is enjoying a massive success?

beatrixkiddo
Mar 27, 2009, 01:10 PM
I don't use Twitter, but posting your whereabouts and current activities to Twitter is a consensual release of confidentiality, whereas being spied on (by anyone) is not.

You might not want your neighbors watching you take a shower, but if you choose to let your significant other see you, are you a hypocrite for the first statement?

Randomness
Mar 27, 2009, 01:10 PM
Gee... I wonder.

I'm putting it down to the general public's general idiocy here. Too many people being too lazy to do research, and believing everything they here. (Myself, I doubt its technologically feasible for the government to monitor the entire population at once.)

Its certainly quite ironic.

raikomaru40
Mar 27, 2009, 01:25 PM
Most of the gov't is probably still stupid and is monitoring at least everyone w/ a middle-eastern name, if anyone.

CrimsomWolf
Mar 27, 2009, 02:13 PM
People like being protected, but they don't like government cracking their whip and actually doing something seriously.

This topic was discussed thoroughly: You can't have lots of freedom and be entirely safe.

Also, the less public knows, the better they sleep; i.e if people know they're spied on then somebody (in this case the CIA, NSA, or whichever agency deals with internal matters in U.S) really screwed up.

Leviathan
Mar 27, 2009, 03:20 PM
If the government is spying on you, you probably did something to invoke that.

Twitter is the new facebook, which was the new myspace, which was the new xanga.
Before that the internet happened.

CrimsomWolf
Mar 27, 2009, 03:23 PM
Internet was created from military intelligence program.

For all we know, it may be the largest surveillance system on the planet.
Or I just read too much Metal Gear plots

Tessu
Mar 27, 2009, 04:51 PM
...And meanwhile, Twitter is enjoying a massive success?

Thread kinda ended here, guys.

Solstis
Mar 27, 2009, 04:59 PM
Internet was created from military intelligence program.

For all we know, it may be the largest surveillance system on the planet.
Or I just read too much Metal Gear plots

If by military intelligence you mean an intelligent idea from the military, yes. More about communication rather than strictly intelligence gathering purposed.

Shadowpawn
Mar 27, 2009, 07:57 PM
The internet was designed to protect information if a large scale attack was inflected on database networks. If one when down, the other nodes would still be up because the entire structure was decentralized. So it really wasn't about communication and more so about intelligence preservation. When the academic world decided to dabble in the project that's when communication took priority over information farming.

W0LB0T
Mar 27, 2009, 10:43 PM
OMg! cos itz twitter an twitter is so kewl:grin::razz::smile:^^:wacko:

Where as having the 4chan party van parked outside your house isnt:disapprove:

R3volver
Mar 27, 2009, 11:35 PM
Listen to Alex Jones. He dwells on corruption and our freedoms being sacrificed for the prosperity of the few. :3

http://www.infowars.com/audiobox.html

On a side note. I was in the military once. And although it's a cool little brotherhood you're basically a slave and when you get out you really don't know what you're going to do with yourself. Reliance on others can easily be the death of you. Like I think people should all have the ability to have their own crops growing in their backyard as well as things like solar panels etc so just in case you do lose your job or something you wont go homeless. id like it if people couldnt own so much land. you cant just go out and build a house some place cause someone owns the land. its bullshit i think. you basically owe people something as soon as youre born in order to live in this country... haha. MONEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

And remember it's just as easy to cheat in PSO as it is in real life. nobody is worth trillions of dollars but yet there are people who are. Cheaters!

Firocket1690
Mar 28, 2009, 12:23 AM
People like being protected, but they don't like government cracking their whip and actually doing something seriously.

This topic was discussed thoroughly: You can't have lots of freedom and be entirely safe.

Also, the less public knows, the better they sleep; i.e if people know they're spied on then somebody (in this case the CIA, NSA, or whichever agency deals with internal matters in U.S) really screwed up.
http://xkcd.com/525/

Sinue_v2
Mar 28, 2009, 12:12 PM
The people who raise the most stink about Government spying and get everyone else worked up are the nutters. I gave up trying to understand the nutters when one day I logged on to their website and saw the top two posts. The first was lambasting the evils of the NWO for wanting to depopulate the Earth, while the second was a glowing recommendation for the revival of eugenics as a way to save to the planet and humanity from the "cesspool of society".

Oh, and by the way, apparently your new digital converter boxes apparently have transistor sized mini-cameras installed in them it so the government can monitor your every move.

R3volver
Mar 28, 2009, 01:42 PM
The people who raise the most stink about Government spying and get everyone else worked up are the nutters. I gave up trying to understand the nutters when one day I logged on to their website and saw the top two posts. The first was lambasting the evils of the NWO for wanting to depopulate the Earth, while the second was a glowing recommendation for the revival of eugenics as a way to save to the planet and humanity from the "cesspool of society".

Oh, and by the way, apparently your new digital converter boxes apparently have transistor sized mini-cameras installed in them it so the government can monitor your every move.

So you were only into it because you thought it was a cool fad huh? I'm sure you're qualified to call everyone who spent years researching many things that actually do and did happen nutters. Enjoy your Obama fad.

Sinue_v2
Mar 28, 2009, 04:04 PM
Those people don't do research. They do pseudoscience, at best, and even then it's sloppy. The things they're studying are lies, myths, new-age spiritual garbage, mistranslations, misconceptions - then to tie it all up with a nice little bow - they toss on their own layer of baseless non sequitur speculation. We just don't know it's all true because TPTB have organized a massive world-wide conspiracy of science to hide the truth that we are all made of pure vibrational love by our Annunaki creators. The vast majority of those people are getting scammed by snake oil merchants, and then have the gaul to call everyone else "sheep" so that they can feel like king shit of their own paranoid delusional kingdom.

I will admit, there are some pretty sharp edges on a few of the tin-foil hats. A rare few actually do have a good grip on reality and have both the knowledge and the insight to dig up some rather interesting info. However, it seems, that those precious few are researching conspiracies that utterly tame compared to NWO, Reptilian Overlord, End of the World crap.

And no... Alex Jones isn't one of them. I'm still waiting for those Russian nukes he said that accidentally got launched as a result of the Y2K bug to descend from orbit and wipe out half of America. It's only been... what... 9 years since warned people to go screaming for their back yard bunkers? Maybe they operate on alien zero point energy technology and can stay in orbit for decades!?!

That might sound like a lot of strawman sarcasm, but every absurdity I've mentioned, I've seen people claimed to have "researched" and "verified" in the last week or so.

So you were only into it because you thought it was a cool fad huh?

Cool fad? I stopped by because I occasionally likes to dip my toes into the absurd, and because it's easy-mode smack down on half-with YEC's. Who knows... maybe I'll actually be able to get through to one of them? Doesn't seem likely though. No matter how many times you correct a misconception, the bugger simply ignores you and continues spouting the same misconception - only louder. Seems to be that way with a lot of people there though, regardless of whether they're "researching" YEC/OEC, Reptilian bloodlines, the Masons, Aliens... whatever. That same sort of unsubstantiated fanatical belief despite a total lack of verifiable or demonstrable evidence pushes the same sort of seemingly intentional stupidity across the board.

Enjoy your Obama fad.

WTF is that all about? Why would you even say something like that? Way to prove that nutters aren't quick to jump to baseless speculations that have nothing at all to do with reality.

R3volver
Mar 29, 2009, 06:31 AM
Whatever floats your boat, man. Just remember that there are people out there who want nothing more in life than to be the most powerful. Just because you may not have interest in that sort of lifestyle doesn't mean there arent people like that out there. There have been people out there who lost all their money but a few million and killed themselves rather than live a life that the average person has. They are in a class of their own. It should scare the shit out of you that they'd rather kill themselves than be one of the workers.

Randomness
Mar 29, 2009, 02:34 PM
Whatever floats your boat, man. Just remember that there are people out there who want nothing more in life than to be the most powerful. Just because you may not have interest in that sort of lifestyle doesn't mean there arent people like that out there. There have been people out there who lost all their money but a few million and killed themselves rather than live a life that the average person has. They are in a class of their own. It should scare the shit out of you that they'd rather kill themselves than be one of the workers.

Your logic there is completely invalid. Let me rewrite that for you.

1-Rich person loses 90% of their money
2-Rich person commits suicide
3-Therefore, rich person wants absolute power.

Psychologists have a word for this, its called DEPRESSION.

AKA, bad thing happens, so you feel like shit. Toss in some random additional despair, some stress, and a few other things, you get suicide. Nothing in this has anything to do with world domination crap.

Also, most world domination theories I've seen assume that the military either doesn't exist (In which case you can't enforce anything at all) or that it is 100% obedient no matter what (In which case you need a reality check)

Sinue_v2
Mar 29, 2009, 05:15 PM
Yeah, you know, I understand that power and influence are impressive motivators but... why do the NWO and Rothschilds or whoever is behind the scenes have such two dimensionally simple motivations? I mean, they're portrayed by the nutters as basically being evil just for the sake of being evil. Why not? Fuckit, they have money. That's what all the cool rich people do when ordinary life bores them. You turn into some lame reject of a Captain Planet villain or something.

Most saturday morning cartoons have more compelling villians. This is the kind of stellar creative writing that makes Phantasy Star Universe's evildoers look like Shakespear's Iago in comparison.

Am I getting the point across that I don't find these conspiracy villains very complex or realistic? I mean... look at the devil of the 20th century, Adolf Hitler. He didn't see himself as evil. In his mind, he was righteous. He was trying to SAVE Germany - trying to build it into an empire from the ashes and humiliation of the Versailles treaty into a world power that commanded the respect he felt the German people deserved. You could write volumes of books on the psychology of Hitler... and people have.

Yet for the bankers and power brokers behind the NWO scheme... the people supposedly building FEMA concentration camps and digging mass graves all across the nation in preparation for depopulation of those who reject their Verichips... it's really just as simple as money and power. Why? Because they can. For the lulz. So apparently the NWO is full of /b/tards.

Randomness
Mar 29, 2009, 06:33 PM
This is the kind of stellar creative writing that makes Phantasy Star Universe's evildoers look like Shakespeare's Iago in comparison.

This. This gets :wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko:.

CrimsomWolf
Mar 30, 2009, 10:21 AM

If I remember Rockefeller lost 80% during 1929's Great Depression... and I don't recall him killing himself.

Then again, that 20% still made him filthy rich.

Outrider
Mar 30, 2009, 02:14 PM
If I remember Rockefeller lost 80% during 1929's Great Depression... and I don't recall him killing himself.

Then again, that 20% still made him filthy rich.

Yeah, I mean, it's not a hard and fast rule that everybody falls into depression when things go wrong for them.

You hear about the people who lost everything and killed themselves because there's nothing newsworthy about somebody who has lost everything and just goes on with their life.

EphekZ
Mar 31, 2009, 08:36 PM
I don't use Twitter, but posting your whereabouts and current activities to Twitter is a consensual release of confidentiality, whereas being spied on (by anyone) is not.

You might not want your neighbors watching you take a shower, but if you choose to let your significant other see you, are you a hypocrite for the first statement?

This post pretty much answers Kodia's Question.

Rasputin
Mar 31, 2009, 11:41 PM
I'm pissed about YOU spying on me when I shower. It's creepy, dude. STOP IT.

UnderscoreX
Apr 1, 2009, 03:19 AM
Thread kinda ended here, guys.
You mean after Beatrix's.
(Beatrixi?!)

helix.hex
Apr 1, 2009, 05:58 AM
I'm pissed about YOU spying on me when I shower. It's creepy, dude. STOP IT.

...okay? i am going to keep my opinion to myself on that one....

i honestly believe if someone wanted to rule the world they are crazy.....who wants this $h@# hole of a planet? i would prefer doing something creative like getting away from everyone than to be near them!

Ranmaru
Apr 1, 2009, 11:30 AM

AKA, bad thing happens, so you feel like shit. Toss in some random additional despair, some stress, and a few other things, you get suicide. Nothing in this has anything to do with world domination crap.

Also, most world domination theories I've seen assume that the military either doesn't exist (In which case you can't enforce anything at all) or that it is 100% obedient no matter what (In which case you need a reality check)

AKA, bad thing happens, so you feel like shit. Toss in some random additional despair, some stress, and a few other things, you get suicide. Nothing

bad thing happens, so you feel like shit. Toss in some random additional despair, some stress, and a few other things, you get suicide. Nothing

Toss in some random additional despair, some stress, and a few other things, you get suicide. Nothing

Rich person
random suicide. Nothing

No one cares about rich peaple. (like bill gates) I think we should have wealth more spread out.

Zyrusticae
Apr 1, 2009, 12:04 PM
Offtopic:

Concentration of wealth is... complicated. Yes, it's not at all fair that less than 1% of the population holds 99% of the world's wealth, but at the same time it's these rich folks that invest into new businesses and such, thus they have a major impact on the overall economy (perhaps unfairly so, but there it is). Taking away such wealth may make them shy away from such investment, and may have unforeseen consequences on the economy as a whole.

Of course, if you have assholes who hoard, then none of that matters and they should just die and burn in hell.

KodiaX987
Jul 17, 2009, 05:56 PM
Holy shit people, they understood!

http://www.cagle.com/news/Tweeting/images/jones.gif

Zarode
Jul 18, 2009, 04:48 AM
No one cares about rich peaple. (like bill gates) I think we should have wealth more spread out.

I, too, am communist.

hollowtip
Jul 20, 2009, 01:53 AM
I just heard on Forensic Files that your average American is taped 7 times per day by surveilance cameras.

Leviathan
Jul 20, 2009, 04:25 PM
Isn't this topic a bit old?

On a related note: When driving back from driving classes I like to practice my Miss America wave to the photo enforced intersections.

KodiaX987
Jul 20, 2009, 05:13 PM

See: http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2341252&postcount=29

AlephZero
Jul 20, 2009, 06:58 PM
Fools don't you know about the Patriots they control every thing in America they even control the Internet using the AI in Arsenal Gear called GW which is protected by several giant bipedal tanks that are called Metal Gear Ray

I using my advance stealth and cardboard box have learned the Patriots plan you see the moon landing never happened because the moon is really a Metal Gear called Metal Gear Luna that will turn all people on earth into Metal Gears because Metal Gears are actually a race of intelligent robots that plan on turning us into slaves to have us severe there god Arsenal Gear God!?!

But we will not stand for this we must fight against the Guns of the Patriots join me and together we the sons of Liberty will fight for a world beyond!!!

Kidding :clown:

Randomness
Jul 20, 2009, 08:20 PM
Fools don't you know about the Patriots they control every thing in America they even control the Internet using the AI in Arsenal Gear called GW which is protected by several giant bipedal tanks that are called Metal Gear Ray

I using my advance stealth and cardboard box have learned the Patriots plan you see the moon landing never happened because the moon is really a Metal Gear called Metal Gear Luna that will turn all people on earth into Metal Gears because Metal Gears are actually a race of intelligent robots that plan on turning us into slaves to have us severe there god Arsenal Gear God!?!

But we will not stand for this we must fight against the Guns of the Patriots join me and together we the sons of Liberty will choose to fight for a world beyond!!!

Kidding :clown:

Back to PSU for you. And grammar lessons.

Dragwind
Jul 20, 2009, 10:00 PM
That sounded more like a MGS2 reference to me :wacko:

OrangeTippedGun
Jul 20, 2009, 10:07 PM
If the government is spying on you, you probably did something to invoke that.

Twitter is the new facebook, which was the new myspace, which was the new xanga.
Before that the internet happened.

Actually, Twitter and Facebook both kind of co-exist with one another and seem to have a sort of mutual relationship. I'm pretty sure that's why Twitter and Facebook are coming to Xbox Live. My Twitter account is actually linked to my Facebook so their both kind of one. Myspace is being left out and that's because it's slowly dying.

The internet was designed to protect information if a large scale attack was inflected on database networks. If one when down, the other nodes would still be up because the entire structure was decentralized. So it really wasn't about communication and more so about intelligence preservation. When the academic world decided to dabble in the project that's when communication took priority over information farming.

When you mention the "nodes" that kind of reminded me of this vid.
It's pretty awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hIQjrMHTv4

Nitro Vordex
Jul 20, 2009, 10:09 PM

On a related note: When driving back from driving classes I like to practice my Miss America wave to the photo enforced intersections.
I lean forward and give them a crazy smile.

Just wait until I get my Scream mask and go driving.

AlephZero
Jul 23, 2009, 05:06 PM
I made the errors to make it seem a lot more crazy... ok I'm not really good at grammar (Don't ask how I got past Elementary school... I think its because i have a bad school^^;) but I have good grades In all my classes (It ranges from B to A)

Oh yah and

Darn the Patriots!:-P

BlaizeYES
Jul 23, 2009, 06:05 PM

But we will not stand for this we must fight against the Guns of the Patriots join me and together we the sons of Liberty will fight for a world beyond!!!

yes. this speaks to me. by the way, wouldnt it be nice if christain bale was really playing snake in the movie? id like that

and really, twitter doesnt give "real" information on people. its information displayed through a filter of the twitter-er(or tweeter or twatee, whichever) to give them a favorable image, like everything else on the internet. if the government spied and released information on all people with myspaces and facebooks and twitters, maybe we could finally be released of the burden of BECOMING OUR OWN PUBLIC RELATIONS PROJECT FOR THE SAKE OF HOW THE INTERNET WILL VIEW US. RRRRRRRRRRRNGH BAPTIZED BY FIRE. WE NEED SALVATION

Lance813
Jul 28, 2009, 06:18 PM
[SPOILER-BOX]http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/0/0a/TheGameWinner2.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

watashiwa
Jul 30, 2009, 02:13 PM
[SPOILER-BOX]Aeris dies.[/SPOILER-BOX]