PDA

View Full Version : ps3 has no online rpgs

R3volver
Apr 5, 2009, 08:17 PM
isnt that lame? it only has a handful of moderately good games. nothing that hasnt been done before. so-so good at time killing. and cod modern warfare isnt as good as people claim. it has gameplay and graphics that look to be a good 7 years old but with higher resolution and other next-gen stuffs. just the models and feel of the game feels so old like counter-strike source. i think people with adhd like the game. and with cod and rainbow six it leaves killzone 2 in the middle. its not really a tactical shooter like rainbow six 2 but its not a good twitch game either like cod thus leaving gamers without a real desire to play it after beating it. it could have been good if they had interesting vehicles and kept the cover system for multiplayer etc.

im starting to think i shoulda bought a 360. sure you have to pay for live but instead of killzone 2 i could have had psu and halo (screw halo). all the other games i have interest in right now are for both systems. it would have worked out the same just about. ps3 better start coming out with games worth playing. i only got the playstation because sega stopped making systems and nintendo is lame not to mention 360 is full of little problems as well as loud mouthed teens with adhd. baaaah.

Chuck_Norris
Apr 5, 2009, 08:45 PM
Resistance 2 is about as close as you'll get to an MMO at the moment, sadly. Has all the basic stuff. Exp, level ups, upgrades of equipment, ect, though it's still an FPS. Although, there are a few MMO's coming to the PS3 later this year...
(DC Universe (http://dcuo.station.sony.com/) and possibly Champions Online (http://www.videogamer.com/news/cryptic_definitely_interested_in_ps3_champions_onl ine.html) to name a few)

amtalx
Apr 5, 2009, 09:08 PM
Funny that you menion ADHD since that's one of the first things that came to mind reading that post... Anyway, yes, you should have gotten a 360. The PS3s library is still weak and the OS needs a lot of work. Give it a couple years though, it may be pretty strong by then.

R3volver
Apr 5, 2009, 09:28 PM
What's with this super hero garbage? Who's asking for/wanting this garbage? I hope super man dies of cancer.

I only type properly when I'm pretending to be intelligent. I really am starting to think that the PS3 will always be an over priced joke. By the time it becomes useful I bet microsoft and nintendo will have a new system already around the corner. at least i dont have to worry about it getting red ring but damn i coulda bought all the games i got on it for pc except for killzone 2 which i dont even play. this is beyond retarded.

I wonder when the next phantasy star is going to come out...

Randomness
Apr 5, 2009, 10:31 PM
I wonder when the next phantasy star is going to come out...

This fall for the US, PS0.

Nitro Vordex
Apr 5, 2009, 11:04 PM
sure you have to pay for liveYou DO realize that paying for Live is actually dirt cheap? Buy a card, and you get 1, 3, 5, or 12 month subscriptions? I think that's awesome.[/quote]
but instead of killzone 2 i could have had psu and halo (screw halo). And Fallout 3. With a bunch of other RPG's.
all the other games i have interest in right now are for both systems. it would have worked out the same just about.Then why are you whining?
ps3 better start coming out with games worth playing. i only got the playstation because sega stopped making systemsBotched that one up didn't they?
and nintendo is lame Getting there.
not to mention 360 is full of little problems as well as loud mouthed teens with adhd Better look again, and stop going off of what you've heard. I haven't come across any kids on 360, though that's probably because I don't do randoms or talk to people outside my friends list.

Yes, I was bored enough to dissect your horribly written rant. Don't take it personally.

Tetsaru
Apr 5, 2009, 11:09 PM
I agree with the OP: although the PS3 is an awesome system imo, it needs more RPG's. The only decent one I know of atm is Eternal Sonata, and it was pretty linear, from what I saw watching my friends play it... seems like half the titles on PS3 are shooters, shooters, and more fucking shooters. Granted, most of them are pretty good, but you can only appeal to a specific audience with that kind of game library. =/

Another thing that bothers me is the general lack of platformer games on consoles... it seems they've all migrated to handhelds or something. I'd love to see another good platformer game along the lines of Little Big Planet or Super Mario Galaxy...

Granted, the Xbox 360 has a great library, but I refuse to buy one until Microsoft can get their hardware to stop fucking up. I'm not shelling out several hundred bucks just to have my console RROD on me, or stop reading discs like my friend's did 2 days after he got it... >_>X

Finally, I'm quite pissed at Nintendo lately; they haven't released any good games for their hardcore audience. They RE-released Pikmin and one of the Mario Tennis games with waggle controls. WTF Nintendo, you could've just made an entirely new sequel if you just wanted to throw some stupid waggle control shit in there... Seriously, they need to stop barfing up all these shovelware titles that only appeal to people WHO DON'T EVEN PLAY GAMES THAT OFTEN. They're starting to follow Segac's trends of shitting out another P.O.S. Sonic game every couple of months, it seems...

Kent
Apr 6, 2009, 02:16 AM
On the subject of online RPGs (both dedicated online, as well as RPGs with an online mode), the Xbox 360 has... a few.

If I recall correctly: Final Fantasy XI, Phantasy Star Universe, Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom, Two Worlds, and ... I guess Arkadian Warriors, if you want to count that (half-assed dungeon crawler on the Arcade). The last two are really bad, PSU is a badly-emulated version of a badly-programmed PlayStation 2 game, and Final Fantasy XI is... Actually pretty good, if you have that much spare time, especially if you have friends with which to play it.

Of course, Final Fantasy XI and Phantasy Star Universe are also both available for the PlayStation 2... but I guess that's not really relevant, if your PlayStation 3 is one of those that can't play PlayStation 2 games. :/

R3volver
Apr 6, 2009, 05:48 AM
This fall for the US, PS0.

I hope Sonic Team dies of cancer.

Kent
Apr 6, 2009, 06:23 AM
I hope Sonic Team dies of cancer.
That kinda happened with Yuji Naka left.

Kylie
Apr 6, 2009, 09:56 AM
There aren't many games on any system that interest me today, especially online games. Honestly, I think getting a 360 is a marvelous idea. I enjoy mine, but I haven't been as impressed with the library as I hoped I would be. It could be just me though because I've gotten to where it's hard for me to branch out. I'm so critical about everything.

R3volver
Apr 6, 2009, 10:16 AM
All my favorite games I've been playing lately are sequels to old favorites. They aren't nearly as groundbreaking as when their predecessors came out but for the most part they are advancements and in some ways better because they are more advanced but sometimes it is a sacrifice over the old ones so it makes it hard to accept that we are getting anywhere. Besides that there are lots of genres lacking any quality products to buy lately. I don't believe that people are simply being too picky anymore. We're just really lacking good games that push boundaries like we used to get.

Outrider
Apr 6, 2009, 10:30 AM
We're just really lacking good games that push boundaries like we used to get.

Really?

If anything, experimental and innovative games are more in vogue now than ever.

R3volver
Apr 6, 2009, 10:58 AM
Really?

If anything, experimental and innovative games are more in vogue now than ever.

The Wii is AMAZING!

Kylie
Apr 6, 2009, 11:31 AM
I kind of agree with R3volver. They still make great games today, but they often get lost among the growing collection of shooters that almost completely ignore consistencies or any kind of story, especially on this continent. We've gotten to where people are shouting "GOTY!" for a game that's entirely based on getting headshots and seeing how many ways you can blow up a horde of zombies (L4D). That's not how it used to be, in my opinion. Again, it could just be me, but I've tried a lot of games lately that were supposed to be Godly but turned out to have little to no ambiance.

Outrider
Apr 6, 2009, 11:58 AM
I mean, games like Braid, Shadow of the Colossus, Killer 7, Nintendogs and LittleBigPlanet all got lots of coverage (even if some of them were commercial failures - LOOKING AT YOU, KILLER 7). Games like that never would have A) been released back in the day, and B) never would've been as prominent in the gaming consciousness.

Even Left4Dead has it's fair share of innovations in the way it focuses on co-op gameplay and dynamic level placement. If you're looking at it as "just another zombie game", you're kind of missing the point. I personally love the zombie setting, as it gets a lot of things right (sure, it's mostly just homages to zombie cinema), but that's really only one part of the whole.

If you're mostly playing a single genre, odds are that you're going to quickly become tired of it. Broaden your tastes, keep an open mind, and just try to have fun. You'd be surprised at what's available out there.

Kylie
Apr 6, 2009, 12:27 PM
I have tried broadening my tastes. I tried Mirror's edge, Little Big Planet, and L4D. All of them (except L4D -- I'll come back to that) are innovative; but they, like most games today, try too hard and end up ignoring all of the things that I've always enjoyed in games. The ambiance, the atmosphere, and the story. Personally, I'm tired of series like Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Tomb Raider, and Final Fantasy selling out. Don't get me wrong, most of those series I just listed are still my favorites, but none of them are what they used to be.

Now I'll come back to the L4D thing...

Innovative? Ha. Although the AI is much smarter (a million times, maybe), anything right that L4D does, Outbreak did it too with the exception of voice chat, and I played that game for over two years. Voice chat isn't even a big deal because you can do it no matter what game you play on the 360. When I say I dislike L4D, the only defense others have been able to come up with is that it's fun if you play with friends. I'm not denying that it is, but that doesn't make the game good. There's no story, few weapons, no bosses (tanks don't count), and a lack of diversity in general. It's a decent game though; it's just not the best game ever or the type of game I'm looking for.

For future reference because I may or may not feel like responding later on:

Outbreak was underrated, in my opinion. The controls sucked, which I won't deny, and that and the lack of communication is what killed the game. Capcom left out voice chat because the felt like it would ruin the atmosphere, or so they said. :roll: Otherwise, it was a good game and deserves recognition as the game that innovated co-op play.

--before L4D, at least--

DreXxiN
Apr 6, 2009, 01:00 PM
As a future MLG Contestant for L4D, I'll just have a say in here and say for you to try versus.

It's a much deeper game than you think it is. It's not godly RTS, but it's still up there.

-Bosses would ruin the game

-10 new weapons coming out in the next update

-2 new campaigns.

Just one soon update away, not to mention they already did some balance updates. They put a cooldown on the Survivor's melee spam for Versus to make you play more cautiously.

Claiming it's bad as an incomplete game and non-fulfilling is like comparing AotI supplemental update to Vanilla PSU Demo.

I'm really confused at your claim with "lack of diversity," too. What do you mean? All campaigns have different environments, there's 4 characters from VERY DIFFERENT cliche backgrounds (lol), some zombies look different and all special infected have unique attacks and distinguishing looks as well.

Kylie
Apr 6, 2009, 01:05 PM
I didn't pay $60 for the Vanilla PSU demo.

I just don't like L4D, and I don't have to. You can.

DreXxiN
Apr 6, 2009, 01:06 PM
And most people payed $30 for L4D, considering they had that 50% sale. But what I DO guarantee is that you've payed probably well over $200 for PSU, which is still incomplete.

There's nothing wrong with you not enjoying Left 4 Dead. I know you probably think OB is better. It's like people that hate WC3 JUST because they've played Starcraft for X years and it's the superior RTS so everything else has GOT to suck. I'm not claiming this is your case, and it's fine that you don't like it... The issue is that your factual claims didn't really make sense...

Also, if you look into the making of L4D, you'll understand why the AI was motivational and groundbreaking. It all lies behind a Director that sets the difficulties, suspense, and item pickups according to how you're doing.

Kylie
Apr 6, 2009, 01:12 PM
Tell me where I called PSU a good game. In all honesty, it's not. I only played it to play it with friends, and that's the same way I feel or would feel about L4D if I had the tolerance to play it all the time. I've played Versus, I've played the campaign, and I still feel the same way about the game. I've never liked FPS games, there's no story, and there's no diversity. The DLC sounds awesome because one of the new campaigns is supposed to act like a boss, but I'm not talking about a game I've never played. Just like I would only speculate that PSU will get better once it gets more stuff; I'd never say that like it was a fact though or use it to say that someone couldn't judge the current content.

DreXxiN
Apr 6, 2009, 01:15 PM
Well, I wouldn't say all FPS's have no storyline...but yeah, Left 4 Dead doesn't have one. If you ask me, that was for marketing reasons..people are too ignorant and just generally dumb, and will blaze through the story anyway (at least the audience that would be attracted to this particular game.)

Now we are getting somewhere with you knocking out a genre, though. lol

EDIT: Forgot to mention this before this goes further. The 360 versions sucks; it's fucking AWFUL. I only find enjoyment on the PC version.

R3volver
Apr 6, 2009, 01:17 PM
Just to deviate from Kylie's pwning spree in this thread, I'd like to say that the analog thingy on my psp is garbage. Garbage like the games on this little thing that they claim to be a portable gaming system. I'd also like to say that I never planned on buying phantasy star portable after wasting tons of money on ps0 so I hope I win the game in that contest they got goin over there in that section.

I wish i never played a next-gen game tbh at this point.

Kylie
Apr 6, 2009, 01:19 PM
I'm not saying it sucks indefinitely or insulting the people that like it. I just don't happen to like it for many reasons (mostly because it's an FPS game, yeah), and I think it's a wonderful example of a game that lacks a story that everyone thinks is great. I wasn't really out to diss it in the first place. :-P

@R3volver: Sorry. There's been a lack of detailed discussion lately, I think, and I kind of went off-topic to get it. >_>

EDIT:
EDIT: Forgot to mention this before this goes further. The 360 versions sucks; it's fucking AWFUL. I only find enjoyment on the PC version.I have the 360 version. :$

Kent
Apr 6, 2009, 01:41 PM
Kylie, if you haven't already, download the Braid demo on the Xbox Live Arcade. It won't disappoint.

It's like Portal (have you played that? It's on the Arcade, too), except you take away the third dimension, and add in a fourth and fifth. Fun stuff.

On the topic of innovation in games, it's worth noting that, in a bout of epic amounts of irony, the most innovation in this generation of games has specifically not come from the platform with the most potential for innovation (that being the Wii, which has a rather... sad library, at the moment). We're seeing great innovations for the more standardized consoles, and an outburst of support from independant developers on the innovation front as well (whence Braid).

I think that people are really realizing that, a couple years ago, the industry has really started to stagnate as far as originality - all that was coming out at the moment was... World War II first-person shooters, non-fantasy sports games, and movie tie-ins. This is, as far as the gaming industry goes, the equivalent of hitting a brick wall made of money - yes, they're going to sell, but as you scale that that wall, the profit ceiling comes ever closer, until your sales dwindle from people having the same stuff shoved down their throats time and again, and they eventually stop buying.

Some developers saw this as a sort of ultimatum: Innovate, create, imagine... Or the industry will take a nose dive. Nintendo's been trying to provide what it can as a means for innovation (but specifically not an ends) by more or less forcing developers for its console to adapt to a completely new style of controls. It's not working out too well, really... And some bright new ideas have come out of third parties for other consoles, though - like the latest Banjo-Kazooie, LittleBigPlanet, and Mirror's Edge, just to name a few. I'm not saying these are the cream of the crop (but I will admit... Nuts and Bolts is pretty freaking awesome if you're someone who grew up on Legos), but they're a step in the right direction.

But then we have people with a real creative vision - the independant developers. These are the people who make games into art and, in my opinion, should be looked up to by professional game designers, simply due to their unbridled creativity and originality. Unfortunately though, they've probably never had to pitch a game idea to a CEO - someone whose interests do not lie in reputation or making a name for themselves, they lie solely in profit. This kind of narrow-minded thinking on behalf of the higher-ups pulling chains is what causes us to see the brick wall of cash happening... Ironic and sad, it certainly is, that this wall is what causes them to survive.

R3volver
Apr 6, 2009, 02:20 PM
I could sit here and dream about what I want by bringing up old games. But it wont happen. All I know is that I can longer look at nintendo the same way again. They had their fail with the cube. But no they wanted to fail more. The XBOX was a solid system. It made me not even look elsewhere to like the Playstation 2 when I got it. This generation I had no desire to get any of them after I tried them all out. But then Killzone 2 had to come along with it's really fun demo and give me false hope. I thought maybe PS3 was gonna be different. I should have looked past that one game. There wasn't much else. I don't see much coming in the future either. They got a game called MAG coming out... I was considering getting that but now I just see it as a gimmick like Killzone 2. They're all gimmicks. They could have pushed the genres much harder.

It never had to be like this. They did good once before. I'd rather play most of the old stuff than what they give us now or just not play games at all. Some games made in the late 90s have more to do in them than what we got now.

They should like update PSOBB some more and rererererelease it.

I just had a vision of a enhanced PSOBB in my head... I hope sega does that next round...

Outrider
Apr 6, 2009, 02:29 PM
If I could play devil's advocate:

Why does a game need a story?

Now, I'll preface this that I'm a huge story nut for games. I think they're an excellent story-telling medium and that there are definitely games that have completely missed the boat when it comes to trying to tell a tale. I take it seriously - when people say God of War has an excellent plot, all I can think is how it sounds like high-school fan-fiction. Having a modicum of character development does not mean that your game has a good story.

I don't think L4D is one of them. The story isn't the point - it's about being in the moment. The entire game is set in media res. I like that. It's kind of nice to have a shooter (or any game, for that matter) that realizes that it doesn't need a story - it just needs the atmosphere. L4D is all about the stories you talk about aftewards with your friends.

Still - I'd definitely try a linear story-based campaign mode for L4D. I'd actually get a real kick out of having a standard level progression with more of a plot associated with it. It wouldn't really fit within the package of the game, but it's something I have a passing interest in.

I'm not trying to cause trouble - I get what you're saying about wanting plots and bosses and all those elements. I still feel like you should consider for a moment whether or not you need those things in a game. Just like a short film might not need a coherent plot or any direct setting, I feel like you shouldn't shortchange a game simply because it doesn't fit into the exact definition you're looking for.

Just offering some food for thought.

Kent
Apr 6, 2009, 02:33 PM
If I'm not mistaken, MAG doesn't even have a real name yet. It's just the development codename for the project, "Massive Action Game."

...And it's supposed to be a multiplayer first-person shooter with, what, 128-on-128 battles?

That was done in Tribes, and to a smaller scale in Tribes 2. Both were great games, but unfortunately, the series died out after Sierra canned Dynamix and had Irrational make a new one using a non-proprietary engine - and that didn't turn out so well. I don't really have hope for MAG, partially because... Well, it looks like it's just going to be another generic multiplayer military FPS. I'm not really seeing much in the way of originality going on here.

As for a new PSO-style game? I'm all for that; it's what I've been waiting for, and what I sincerely hope I can work on some day. I don't think we have much hope for the Phantasy Star franchise with the way it's going currently, which is really sad... But someone's going to have to pick up the slack somewhere, eventually.

Outrider
Apr 6, 2009, 02:35 PM
I don't really have hope for MAG, partially because... Well, it looks like it's just going to be another generic multiplayer military FPS.

I'm beginning to think that's all the OP is looking for.

Kent
Apr 6, 2009, 02:41 PM
If I could play devil's advocate:

Why does a game need a story?

Now, I'll preface this that I'm a huge story nut for games. I think they're an excellent story-telling medium and that there are definitely games that have completely missed the boat when it comes to trying to tell a tale. I take it seriously - when people say God of War has an excellent plot, all I can think is how it sounds like high-school fan-fiction. Having a modicum of character development does not mean that your game has a good story.

I don't think L4D is one of them. The story isn't the point - it's about being in the moment. The entire game is set in media res. I like that. It's kind of nice to have a shooter (or any game, for that matter) that realizes that it doesn't need a story - it just needs the atmosphere. L4D is all about the stories you talk about aftewards with your friends.

Still - I'd definitely try a linear story-based campaign mode for L4D. I'd actually get a real kick out of having a standard level progression with more of a plot associated with it. It wouldn't really fit within the package of the game, but it's something I have a passing interest in.

I'm not trying to cause trouble - I get what you're saying about wanting plots and bosses and all those elements. I still feel like you should consider for a moment whether or not you need those things in a game. Just like a short film might not need a coherent plot or any direct setting, I feel like you shouldn't shortchange a game simply because it doesn't fit into the exact definition you're looking for.

Just offering some food for thought.
I whole-heartedly agree. Though games can be a great medium for storytelling, that doesn't necessarily mean they have to be. Let's look at Bangai-O Spirits for the DS, for instance.

The entire sum of the story lies within the tutorial and a small, almost completely unrelated cutscene once you complete the hundred-something odd levels... And the fact that the story is more or less nonexistant doesn't detract from the experience at all. It's just fun.

It could be argued that fun can come from experiencing a story - and I don't disagree - but I'll just say that it doesn't have to come from a story.

A good friend of mine really likes games... Mostly for the stories they contain, which is great - but for the life of me, I can't really get her to enjoy anything that could be classified as "mindless fun." Hell, I have a hard enough time trying to get her to not give me the evil-eye when I play Tetris or Bejewled. :/

Though, it was hilarious when I made her play Rez for a while... Then explained the story.

R3volver
Apr 6, 2009, 02:49 PM
I'm beginning to think that's all the OP is looking for.

No shooters are just basically all the PS3 has as far as online games go. The racers are just balls to the wall boring and the sports games are well sports games... They got one RTS game RA3 and i already got it for PC which is a pretty boring rts game after a few rounds. I will not be buying anymore shooters. haha... I like rainbow six vegas 2 a lot. You don't die too often because you tend to know where the enemy is on the map and can take cover and look at the situation. Then make a move. In other shooters you just go in guns blazing or camp and hope they dont see you while you snipe at them. At this point that's the only game I play on the PS3 which is pretty sad.

I was a big fan of Tribes though. I think lots of people know about Tribes. I brought it up in this thread a couple of times but edited it out but its a good example of how far we've come and only gained better graphics. Really sad.

Zarode
Apr 7, 2009, 01:03 AM
Demon's Souls.

Kylie
Apr 7, 2009, 02:11 PM
Demon's Souls.How is that? I asked someone to tell me if it was any good, and they said, "Iunno."

I'm not trying to start anything either. My preference is not shooters, racing games, or sports games; and there seems to be a lot more of them on next-gen consoles than any other era. I mean, even series like Silent Hill and Resident Evil that I've always loved have upped their combat because that's where the money is, but somehow I'm still loyal to them. I just need a really good game with a really good story, and then I'll be happy. But lately I've been spending like $60 on games I wish I hadn't bought. Why do I get them? Well, because everyone else tells me they're awesome. >_>