PDA

View Full Version : PS story theories

VamPengX
Apr 6, 2009, 06:14 PM
That seems to be the leading theory among fans. At least, if you go by the US timeline and assume the AW and AUW calendars are congruent. The world ships of of Palma were NOT the pioneer ships though. This is evident because (not only do they not look anything alike) the Pioneer ships were built as part of a planned colonization effort. The Worldships of Palma were emergency evacuation transport, and most of them didn't make it. They were either destroyed by fragments of the planet, damaged and sent adrift derelict, destroyed by other worldships, or crashed into neighboring planets.

Only two of them were confirmed to have escaped intact. The NeoPalm and the Alisa III. In most endings of PSIII, the NeoPalm is unaccounted for. The Alisa III landed on a Earthlike planet in one ending, landed on EARTH (in present time) in another, met with the NeoPalm in a third. And the remaining ending found the Alisa III landing on a planet which quite resembled Ragol.

So the idea is that the Alisa III landed on Ragol after PSIII, and the inhabitants started a new life for themselves. The Dark Force aboard was not destroyed, and so it was sealed in the wreckage of the worldship. The new colony then perished for some unknown reason. As time went on, Dark Force regained it's strength - but did not have a corporeal body as it was destroyed in PSIII's time.

This sets the stage for PSO, the discovery of Ragol, and the ruins within. The destruction of Pioneer 1 and the temptation of Rico which lead her to the pits of the Ruined worldship where she was possessed and used as a physical anchor for Dark Force's power in our world.

This is only backed up by circumstantial evidence though - as Falz's obelisk resembles the same architecture found in the sunken ruins and his obelisk sits at the bottom of a dried up lakebed. Not to mention the "window" in ruins 1 which looks out into what looks like a collapsed dome and a temple in the distance. Also, Rico does mention that the "Ruins" are a "gigantic spaceship".

Personally, I would have preferred if PSU had turned out to be a prequel to the original series set millions of years before PS - and the SEED were the last remaining vestiges of the Rebellion Spiritual Race which came back to free their brethren from the seal after their defeat in the Great War. At the culmination of PSU, the characters must enter the rift to ensure the SEED are sealed away - and Karen sacrifices herself to allow the others to escape. Consumed by the darkness, Karen becomes the core by which the spiritual race gather unto and eventually transforming into the Profound Darkness.

This would not only be a decent ending for PSU, but it would enhance the ending of PSIV - because when you strike down the Profound Darkness (which is in female form), you're freeing Karen's spirit from the darkness after untold eons of horrors and anguish. PSO, on the otherhand, would be the renewal of this cycle - with Rico serving as the core for a new Profound Darkness.

Buuuut.... that opportunity is long past possible.

Omg. I love you. This is amazing. You should write a fanfic book! I'll be a sponsor. =] Pinky promise!

Kazemi
Apr 6, 2009, 11:21 PM
why do people put so much thought into this subject so much? PSU isn't related to PSO or any other PS game except for the fact that its part of the franchise. anything from past PS games are just there for fan service. nothing else, nothing more. the stories aren't linked together. get over it.

Sinue_v2
Apr 7, 2009, 12:18 AM
VamP, I do have an idea for a fanfiction work which links PS, PSU, and PSO to a lesser extent. Though if I write it, I probably won't start it until PSU finishes it's storyline so that there are no major plotline curveballs thrown into the already tenuous connections I've made. There's also the issue of PSZero to consider - as well as PSP.

Ruru
Apr 7, 2009, 01:17 AM
Okay, I overlooked the Ivalice games. But I can assure you that there's no solid link anywhere else between them.

not true, FFX-2 (regardless of how crappy a game it was) takes place in the world of FFVII before that timeline. shinra (the al bhed boy) makes a reference of using the energy of the world and being able to make a city powered by this energy. shinra corporation etc.

as for making links between the stories of PSO/PSU etc. why the hate? even if its pointless to do so, no one is asking you to read this topic or respond to it. if you hate the idea of it being linked so much dont even read this thread.

many games have un-official timelines or small things that can link them together, even if the writers/directors dont originally plan them, given time and enough fans whining, they usually link them together. take the zelda timeline. miyamoto said himself there wasnt an official timeline then a few years later made a very crude one with OoT being the start of it all.

Zorafim
Apr 7, 2009, 02:34 AM
I could just see it. After the encryption is done, they talk about how Ragol has prosperity, up until 50,000 years ago when some cataclysmic event happened. Then you see an image of a Dreamcast and a Game Shark to show that it's our fault back in PSO for hacking it. XD

I like this theory.

Calsetes
Apr 7, 2009, 03:34 PM
not true, FFX-2 (regardless of how crappy a game it was) takes place in the world of FFVII before that timeline. shinra (the al bhed boy) makes a reference of using the energy of the world and being able to make a city powered by this energy. shinra corporation etc.

as for making links between the stories of PSO/PSU etc. why the hate? even if its pointless to do so, no one is asking you to read this topic or respond to it. if you hate the idea of it being linked so much dont even read this thread.

many games have un-official timelines or small things that can link them together, even if the writers/directors dont originally plan them, given time and enough fans whining, they usually link them together. take the zelda timeline. miyamoto said himself there wasnt an official timeline then a few years later made a very crude one with OoT being the start of it all.

Bear in mind that I haven't played every single FF game through to the end, I've played bits and pieces of a lot of them, and none of them recent since I see myself as having "grown out of them." Still like RPGs though, just prefer Star Ocean-style.

Anyway, by using this theory, couldn't you say that every FF game takes place in the same universe because they all involve the same magic, they all have Chocobos, they all have a guy named Cid who's eccentric and an inventor of some sort, or at least owns a thing called an airship? There's also a lot of the same monsters, who look the exact same, have the same moves, and the same names?

Regardless, if you want to find links between the PS games, then go ahead. If you want to think they're unconnected, then go ahead. My personal thoughts were this: PS1, 2, and 4 are in one universe, 3 in another, PSO in yet a third, and PSU in a fourth.

I do like how they could theoretically be connected though. My only question is where's the link between one universe (the original universe) and any of the others (either 3/PSO as mentioned, or PSU)?

Edit: Sorry if it comes off as an "I'm going to argue with you" kind of thing, but unless the guy who made X-2 and 7 actually said "these are in the same universe / world / realm of possibility" then it has just as much evidence as the original "PS3 and PSO are connected" argument - very well could be true, but could just as easily be a nod to it.

Zoamel_Gustav
Apr 7, 2009, 07:00 PM
Maximum Attack G was recognized in story mode. Mina congratulates the player on it in Chapter 4. In Chapter 6, Tomrain sites data from it during the mushroom discussion. "Tearing through the darkness" will be canon. I'm pretty sure Winter Event, 1 UP, and Firebreak were canon too.

"Rare missions" seem to be as real as the free mission, which are also recognized in story mode. Although, there is some ambiguity depending on the definition of "real" in the context of warped spaces, dimensions, visions, and virtual spaces. It's the same ambiguity in "dimensional rift" items.

many games have un-official timelines or small things that can link them together, even if the writers/directors dont originally plan them, given time and enough fans whining, they usually link them together.

This happened often in many real world mythologies and modern stories as well. ^^

Sorry if it comes off as an "I'm going to argue with you" kind of thing, but unless the guy who made X-2 and 7 actually said "these are in the same universe / world / realm of possibility" then it has just as much evidence as the original "PS3 and PSO are connected" argument - very well could be true, but could just as easily be a nod to it.

[SPOILER-BOX] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Characters_of_Final_Fantasy_X_and_X-2

Interviews with scenario writer Kazushige Nojima and producer Yoshinori Kitase reveal that Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy X-2 share a plot-related connection, where the Shinra corporation of Final Fantasy VII is founded by descendants of the Al Bhed Shinra.

Studio BentStuff, ed (2001) (in Japanese). Final Fantasy X Ultimania Ω. DigiCube/Square Enix. p. 191. ISBN 4-88787-021-3.
Studio BentStuff, ed (2003) (in Japanese). Final Fantasy X-2 Ultimania. DigiCube/Square Enix. pp. 723–724. ISBN 4-88787-021-3. [/SPOILER-BOX]

Omega_Weltall
Apr 7, 2009, 07:13 PM
ho ho ho, when will you PSO fanboys realize that PSO is in NO WAY concurrent with the original Phantasy Star games. While it is a very good game, the only relations PSO and PSU have to the originals are item names, some tech names, and the title Phantasy Star slapped on. I mean really, NO were in the original Phantasy Star games is there photon technology, none! Not even at the height of the Algo civilization in Phantasy Star 2 (ok i think there was a few if you count Laser weapons as photon weapons)

tldr PSO PSU has NO relation to Phantasy Star 1,2,3, or 4 please stop trying to link them.

Yunfa
Apr 7, 2009, 08:01 PM
ho ho ho, when will you PSO fanboys realize that PSO is in NO WAY concurrent with the original Phantasy Star games. While it is a very good game, the only relations PSO and PSU have to the originals are item names, some tech names, and the title Phantasy Star slapped on. I mean really, NO were in the original Phantasy Star games is there photon technology, none! Not even at the height of the Algo civilization in Phantasy Star 2 (ok i think there was a few if you count Laser weapons as photon weapons)

tldr PSO PSU has NO relation to Phantasy Star 1,2,3, or 4 please stop trying to link them.

"Captain!... We've found a lurker, your orders?!"

- While many share different views on the relationships regarding to the franchise, it's always nice to have something to relate to when you're investing a chunk of your life into these games. I can't help but feel a bit of nostalgia when I saw the water falls in the ruins during M. Attack G. Although SEGA would really really hit the spot if they released FULL stages from PSO instead of just "a small section." For example Forest should be, calm music, and afternoon, then the increased tempo and raining+storm in block 2.

Ruru
Apr 7, 2009, 10:57 PM
Anyway, by using this theory, couldn't you say that every FF game takes place in the same universe because they all involve the same magic, they all have Chocobos, they all have a guy named Cid who's eccentric and an inventor of some sort, or at least owns a thing called an airship? There's also a lot of the same monsters, who look the exact same, have the same moves, and the same names?

its not a "theory" when its in the very text of the story line linking two different games together. even if its a subtle hint it's still a direct link between games, where as this person Kanore said, and i quote "But I can assure you that there's no solid link anywhere else between them."

Edit: Sorry if it comes off as an "I'm going to argue with you" kind of thing, but unless the guy who made X-2 and 7 actually said "these are in the same universe / world / realm of possibility" then it has just as much evidence as the original "PS3 and PSO are connected" argument - very well could be true, but could just as easily be a nod to it.

lol its fine i know everyone on the internet loves proof and thank you Zoamel_Gustav for this link here

[SPOILER-BOX] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Characters_of_Final_Fantasy_X_and_X-2

Interviews with scenario writer Kazushige Nojima and producer Yoshinori Kitase reveal that Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy X-2 share a plot-related connection, where the Shinra corporation of Final Fantasy VII is founded by descendants of the Al Bhed Shinra.

Studio BentStuff, ed (2001) (in Japanese). Final Fantasy X Ultimania Ω. DigiCube/Square Enix. p. 191. ISBN 4-88787-021-3.
Studio BentStuff, ed (2003) (in Japanese). Final Fantasy X-2 Ultimania. DigiCube/Square Enix. pp. 723–724. ISBN 4-88787-021-3. [/SPOILER-BOX]

landman
Apr 8, 2009, 03:33 AM
Virtual space, from another dimension.

Ragolians droped the Maximum Attack simulator when they were in peace because it was dangerous, and they used the trash can called dimensional rift :-o

Calsetes
Apr 8, 2009, 01:59 PM
No biggie, it's pretty rare when I ask for proof of the validity of something anyway (I'm more of a theorist and a hypothesist when it comes to data anyway). Never knew the guy said that, but that's probably again due to the fact that I really don't like FF games anymore. Too many "Our airship is amazing! It's a boat with a propeller placed horizontally! WHO'D HAVE THUNK IT!?!?" But that's getting way off-track.

Theoretically, PS 3 and 4 could somehow be linked, since Wren is in both and looks almost identical in them. No transforming in 4 though, as far as I know.

Zorafim
Apr 8, 2009, 02:11 PM
As far as I know, Wren in PSIII and PSIV were the same model. It'd be easy to assume that they were mass produced, or something along those lines, and these are two cases of survivors.

This is one hypothesis I've heard, I'm not sure how valid it is though.

landman
Apr 8, 2009, 02:14 PM
Wren from PSIII is Searren
Wren from PSIV is Forren (yeh, in japanese it's similar to Fullien, Fullien Curtz)

They are different androids, but yes, PSIII is linked to the series, since it is a ship full of Parmanians who escaped from the destruction of the planet in PSII, and this is not a theory, it is in the game plot.

Ajax
Apr 8, 2009, 09:33 PM
Phantasy Star 1,2,4,3 are base in the Algo Solar System.
Phantasy Star Online Zero,1,2,3,4 are base on Earth and on Ragol.
Phantasy Star Universe and Phantasy Star Portable are base in the Gurhal System.
Three different stories. Only thing they have common. All them have rappies.
Dark Falz is not threat of universe. Is the rappies. They come different colors and wear different holiday oufits.

Zorafim
Apr 8, 2009, 10:20 PM
I thought the home planet of PSO was Coral. Where does earth factor in? Unless it's something PS Zero related.
Also, earth was in PSII. Eathians were the main badguys, seemingly.

landman
Apr 9, 2009, 12:28 AM
Apparently, in some mission in PSØ, the Earth is said to be known as Coral in the past.

Ajax
Apr 9, 2009, 12:54 AM
It be cool if SEGA tie in space ship that crashes on the moon from PSIII in PS zero story line.

Ailaisday
Apr 9, 2009, 09:51 AM
one thing i wondered:

the planets on the algol systems and gurhal systems are quite , hemmm, named the same? :)

Palma->Parum
Motavia->Moatoob
Dezolia->Neudaiz (guess , it can stand for New dezolia or so...)
plus Rykros, who comes from nowhere....

My bad theory i guess that somehow Ragol was Rykros, since its an artificial made planed by .... dunno :D, and the some stupid shit happened there, ta da , people on there escaped when rykros came across the 3 planets, and started populating them, and everybody forgot about that crap which happened, well... long time ago :)

(that last part was prolly nonsense anywayz, but im pretty sure than ps/psu takes places in the same place)
(and im prlly sure that ST doenst know a fuck about what theyre doing with their scenarios XD)

Zorafim
Apr 9, 2009, 10:09 AM
PSU is filled with Genesis Phantasy Star references. Each planet is both named after and inspired by each of the original planets. The only exception is Dezo and Neudaiz, whos only similarity is that they're covered mostly in water (Dezo in the form of ice), and the fact that Neudaiz is a mutation of the word "New Dezo".
Ryukross is so obvious a reference it's hardly worth mentioning, but the name is an exact copy of the fourth planet in Algo's system, which only appears in the last game, and late even in that game. It's more of a mirror reflection though, since it's filled with SEED instead of creatures of the Holy Light.

You can see many other references in the game, such as blatant name copies (Luts -> Rutsu, Wren -> Fulren, etc) and character references (Nei/Neifirst -> Karren/original maiden, etc).
It's just fan service.

Koiwai_Keiji
Apr 9, 2009, 01:28 PM
I wish there were references to PSO III C.A.R.D. in PSU, that game had a great storyline and characters. The entire OPSS incident idea (with casts being destoryed and thrown out of the colony ship like mass genocide) made for a very dark aspect about their having rights as a sentient being same as humans. I thought it would be fitting if a majority of the villains were casts with an entire cast supremacy theme for revenge. Unfortunately they only hint at how they were treated in the past and that all races are working together in harmony now, so the player wouldn't know the context for their 'revenge'. Espio had a timeline somewhere...can't find it now though.

landman
Apr 9, 2009, 02:04 PM
I had the link, but apparently espiokaos domain is closed: http://espiokaosmessageboard.yuku.com/

And that was the link:
http://www.espiokaos.com/misc/ep3_timeline.html

Sinue_v2
Apr 9, 2009, 03:25 PM
My bad theory i guess that somehow Ragol was Rykros, since its an artificial made planed by .... dunno

I'm all for the bending of the laws of physics in Sci-Fi if it works as a decent enough plot point. However, I just can't see how ST would be able to work the Ragol is Rykros angle. For a quick comparison, the Dwarf "Planet" Sedna in our own solar system also has a highly elliptical orbit. At it's closest approach to the Sun, it measures a distance of about 76Au away, while at it's farthest distance a whopping 975Au. To make a complete orbit takes Sedna roughly 12,000 years. Now this is just within our own Solar System. Were Ragol to be shared by two different solar systems - the velocity needed to make the transit in 1,000 years - even 15,000 some odd years - would be, forgive the term, astronomical. It'd be impossible, even by Anime physics, for an object traveling at such a velocity to keep it's orbit. It would simply be shot out into dead space.

Gibdozer
Apr 9, 2009, 05:03 PM
Not necessarily true, many other connections exist, for instance Mother brain (ps2 boss), the same bio monsters(grass assassins for 1), Nei weapons along with a multitude of other items and spells. Combine these with the prophecy that Dark Force, Dark falls, falz will return every 1000 years, and the reoccuring 3 planet theme from PS2 a definite connection begins to emerge.

Possibly over the course of thousands of years Gurhal became Algol, Moatoob=Mota, Parum=Parma, and Neudiaz=Dezo (or vice versa), ancient civilizations and races washed away or merged into new societies. But for this to hold true PSU would have to prequel PS2 since Parum (Parma) is destroyed in PS2.

P.S. this was supposed to quote, and is a reply to Ajax statement that the Phantasy Star games are not connected by story and timelines.

Sinue_v2
Apr 9, 2009, 06:47 PM
Not necessarily true, many other connections exist, for instance Mother brain (ps2 boss)

Motherbrain in PSII and MotherBrain in PSU are two completely different entities. The only connection is in their names.

the same bio monsters(grass assassins for 1)

This is no more of a connection than Moogles proving that the Final Fantasies are connected. And what of all the new and unique enemies that are the overwhelming majority which don't appear cross-game.

Nei weapons

If you're referring to the Nei Claw - that's not the same as the "Nei Weapons" in PSII and PSIII. The Nei Weapons in those games are, thus far, lost. The Nei Claw in PSO/PSU is a reference to the PSMDCD.

along with a multitude of other items and spells.

Many of which have been added since, deleted from, or changed purpose entirely. They are not a case for consistency.

Combine these with the prophecy that Dark Force, Dark falls, falz will return every 1000 years

Falz does not resurrect every 1,000 years. It only appeared that way to the residents of Algol. The 1,000 year cycle is due to the annual weakening of the seal, and Dark Force only escapes during this period due to a tear in the seal Lasheic opened during his initial summoning. After the Profound Darkness was destroyed, the seal (as well as the 1,000 year cycle) became meaningless.

and the reoccuring 3 planet theme from PS2 a definite connection begins to emerge.

The three planets isn't just some theme - it's the planetary seal.

Possibly over the course of thousands of years Algo became Ragol, Mota=Moatoob, Parma=Parum, and Dezo=Neudiaz (or vice versa), ancient civilizations and races washed away or merged into new societies. But for this to hold true PSU would have to prequel PS2 (not necessarily 1 as the intro dream in 2 could be a prediction) since Parum (Parma) is destroyed in PS2.

It's easier to explain if you just assume there is no connection. Otherwise... how the hell would Ragol be Algol? The only planet like Ragol was Palma, and that was destroyed. It couldn't be a prequel, as humans on Algol were one of three created races to protect the seal. Ra-Faze didn't mention to Chaz that he was not descended from these protectors, or that the new humans would have to do in place of the original Palman protectors. It couldn't be a sequel - because Palma was wasted and without Climatrol - Motavia returned to a desert. Even if it were a newly terraformed Motavia, what of the Motavians?

P.S. this was supposed to quote, and is a reply to Ajax statement that the Phantasy Star games are not connected by story and timelines.

They're not. It's fun to make up theories, but consistent fan-theories are almost unheard of, and at the end of the day - they're still just speculation against the official line "They are not connected".

Zoamel_Gustav
Apr 9, 2009, 07:16 PM
I'm all for the bending of the laws of physics in Sci-Fi if it works as a decent enough plot point. However, I just can't see how ST would be able to work the Ragol is Rykros angle. ... Were Ragol to be shared by two different solar systems - the velocity needed to make the transit in 1,000 years - even 15,000 some odd years - would be, forgive the term, astronomical. It'd be impossible, even by Anime physics, for an object traveling at such a velocity to keep it's orbit. It would simply be shot out into dead space.

Rykros was said in story mode to have nano transitioned into the Gurhal system. It is likely the same appearing and vanishing terrain effect which triggers the "high nano transitor activity" of rare missions.

Also, I have heard that Phantasy Star Portable mentions Rykros's arrival.

ErtaiClou
Apr 9, 2009, 09:31 PM
I'm all for the bending of the laws of physics in Sci-Fi if it works as a decent enough plot point. However, I just can't see how ST would be able to work the Ragol is Rykros angle. For a quick comparison, the Dwarf "Planet" Sedna in our own solar system also has a highly elliptical orbit. At it's closest approach to the Sun, it measures a distance of about 76Au away, while at it's farthest distance a whopping 975Au. To make a complete orbit takes Sedna roughly 12,000 years. Now this is just within our own Solar System. Were Ragol to be shared by two different solar systems - the velocity needed to make the transit in 1,000 years - even 15,000 some odd years - would be, forgive the term, astronomical. It'd be impossible, even by Anime physics, for an object traveling at such a velocity to keep it's orbit. It would simply be shot out into dead space.

If that were the case and airboards being one the single most technological advancement during that time then it would be truelly dissapointing. The fact of the matter is many people are starting to theorize that Rykros is Ragol. And while I know you personally hate the "believe it" attitude PSU has incurred as of late, PSU and PSp share the pocket dimension, A-photon storyline. This is another theory of the appearance of Rykros, as it may have nanotraced into the system. As a side effect we see discharged nanotracing incidents such as Forest of Illusion and Phantom Fissure.

Gibdozer
Apr 9, 2009, 10:47 PM
Motherbrain in PSII and MotherBrain in PSU are two completely different entities. The only connection is in their names.

This is no more of a connection than Moogles proving that the Final Fantasies are connected. And what of all the new and unique enemies that are the overwhelming majority which don't appear cross-game.

If you're referring to the Nei Claw - that's not the same as the "Nei Weapons" in PSII and PSIII. The Nei Weapons in those games are, thus far, lost. The Nei Claw in PSO/PSU is a reference to the PSMDCD.

Many of which have been added since, deleted from, or changed purpose entirely. They are not a case for consistency.

Falz does not resurrect every 1,000 years. It only appeared that way to the residents of Algol. The 1,000 year cycle is due to the annual weakening of the seal, and Dark Force only escapes during this period due to a tear in the seal Lasheic opened during his initial summoning. After the Profound Darkness was destroyed, the seal (as well as the 1,000 year cycle) became meaningless.

The three planets isn't just some theme - it's the planetary seal.

It's easier to explain if you just assume there is no connection. Otherwise... how the hell would Ragol be Algol? The only planet like Ragol was Palma, and that was destroyed. It couldn't be a prequel, as humans on Algol were one of three created races to protect the seal. Ra-Faze didn't mention to Chaz that he was not descended from these protectors, or that the new humans would have to do in place of the original Palman protectors. It couldn't be a sequel - because Palma was wasted and without Climatrol - Motavia returned to a desert. Even if it were a newly terraformed Motavia, what of the Motavians?

They're not. It's fun to make up theories, but consistent fan-theories are almost unheard of, and at the end of the day - they're still just speculation against the official line "They are not connected".

1st motherbrain is very similar in design to her PS2 iteration, obviously updated because what goes in the late 80s doesn't fly in late 2000.

2nd new unique enemies, yeah look at the evolution and mutation of species in the real world, perhaps the same holds true for Algo it could even have been excellerated (we know they play with DNA). The creatures that overlap could be genetic throw backs or just highly durable species like our modern crocodile!

3rd The referance to one of the series most beloved characters is self explanitory. A multitude of techs, weapons, and items carry over and serve the same purpose Res, Shifta, Deban, Megid, Star Atomizers, Moons, Mates, Shot guns, Cannons, Slicers, and whips just to name a few.

4th I thought in one of the dialogues the Dark Force states that It cannot be destroyed because of the 1000 year cycle? Isn't that why Noah froze himself for a 1000 years?

5th I never said 4 was a prequel I said 2 could be. At the end of 2 Rolf and friends are attacked by hundreds of humans who created the Mother Brain, this could be the Illuminus (I think it actually calls them earth men, but all earth men are human). Again the order could be completely jumbled I'm just making the case for PS2 to PSU. If PSU is a prequel then Moatoob would be a desert and it is, in the future PS2 Mother Brain via climatrol turns mota into a lush fertile land, with Mother Brain gone it reverts to Moatoob desert. The small beast race could have become Motavians (farfetched, but plausible when you consider the scavaging nature of rogues).

There is simply more evidence connecting the two games than seperating them, even on planet Dezo populated by Dezorians in PS2 you find a hidden race of espers living in the hills could these be the descendents of the Newman race? Sure its easier to explain if you assume that like FF they are stand alone games (even though it's not true), but the fact that Sega has gone to such great links to create continuity between these games suggests otherwise.

Many of the games have direct character connections, Rolf dreams about Alis from PS1, and isn't Lutz in 1 and 4, Dark Force is a constant figure, and even govenor Lassic makes multiple apperances, wait isn't Wren in multiple games as well. Do you really think that for PSU they decided to scrap all the back story and make a stand alone game, don't the releifs carved on the guardians colony walls resemble Alis?

landman
Apr 10, 2009, 12:50 AM
Wow you are very mistaken gibdozer, but I won't explain all of this in detail because my English is not that good xD but no, all this references have no relation with the previous games, they are just fan service/plagiarism.

Sinue_v2
Apr 10, 2009, 01:13 AM
Rykros was said in story mode to have nano transitioned into the Gurhal system. It is likely the same appearing and vanishing terrain effect which triggers the "high nano transitor activity" of rare missions.

Also, I have heard that Phantasy Star Portable mentions Rykros's arrival.

Yes, and what does any of that have to do with Ragol? Ragol was a planet on a stable orbit. It would have to be, or else the entirety of the PSO franchise would have taken place in the same year. Even so, there's nothing directly linking Ragol to Rykros.

PSP's mentioning of Rykros is irrelevant. PSP and PSU are part of the same series.

This is just lazy storytelling on Sonic Team's part - but a far easier explanation to this all (if one has to create a link) is to blame it on the Photons. Remember that Ragol was rich in photonic activity. In PSU, Photons are revealed to have a "memory" of sorts - a memory that the Divine Maiden taps into to glean her Divinations.

Has anyone stopped to consider that Rykros isn't Ragol - but is merely amplifying and expressing this photonic memory into a reality as illusions?

The fact of the matter is many people are starting to theorize that Rykros is Ragol.

Not quite. The fact of the matter is, no matter how many fans theorize, it's still irrelevant.

And while I know you personally hate the "believe it" attitude PSU has incurred as of late, PSU and PSp share the pocket dimension, A-photon storyline.

Why is PSP and PSU being part of the same series any sort of an argument for Rykros being Ragol? And where does it say that PSU's universe is a pocket dimension?

This is another theory of the appearance of Rykros, as it may have nanotraced into the system. As a side effect we see discharged nanotracing incidents such as Forest of Illusion and Phantom Fissure.

That's not theory, that's actually confirmed in the game. It DID nanotrance in, which is why nobody had discovered it up till that point. It's a plot device, like using the AeroPrism to reveal Rykros in PSIV. Of course, in classic PS, Rykros was hidden by Magic - just as Lasheic's invisible flying AirCastle was when you revealed it using the AeroPrism in PSI.

1st motherbrain is very similar in design to her PS2 iteration, obviously updated because what goes in the late 80s doesn't fly in late 2000.

No. MotherBrain in PSU, even from a design standpoint, looks nothing like she did in PSII. Perhaps, maybe, Phantasy Star: GENERATION 2 - the Sega Ages remake - but that's a remake, and they still had a number of distinct design differences. Further, unless shown pre-corruption in PSP - you only ever see Mother Brain in PSU post-corruption... in which she looks NOTHING like she did in PSII.

From a storyline perspective, they are not similar at all. Mother Brain in PSU was merely a "hive mind" strategist to coordinate AMF divisions during military campaigns. In PSII, she was a system-wide management control AI which handled oversight on everything from directing space flights, bio-hazard cleanup (hah) on Dezolis, to engineering new life forms in which to habitate the newly terraformed Motavia. This is precisely why she was so valuable to the Earthlings who created her.

There was also a back-up system named "Daughter".

2nd new unique enemies, yeah look at the evolution and mutation of species in the real world, perhaps the same holds true for Algo it could even have been excellerated (we know they play with DNA). The creatures that overlap could be genetic throw backs or just highly durable species like our modern crocodile!

Evolution doesn't work on the timescales you're referring to. The "playing with DNA" doesn't apply to monsters who wreak havoc on society, unless you're talking about an outside force who deliberately breeds them. In PSII it was Mother Brain and NeiFirst, in PSIV it was Zio. In PSIII, it's unstated - however the Alissa III is a Palman worldship who's society quickly collapsed during the Devistation Wars - so monsters bioengineered by MotherBrain in PSII's time still fits this bill.

However, by contrast, the monsters in PSU are not created by anyone. Some are long-time terrors - such as the De Ragan, Onmagoug, Tengohg, etc - while some are native life forms such as Koltova and Ageeta which have turned aggressive due to the SEED.

3rd The referance to one of the series most beloved characters is self explanitory.

Yes, as fanservice.

A multitude of techs, weapons, and items carry over and serve the same purpose Res, Shifta, Deban, Megid, Star Atomizers, Moons, Mates, Shot guns, Cannons, Slicers, and whips just to name a few.

And as said, many many more were implemented with either no prior contemporary - or carried over and assigned completely different purposes. Some of the ones you listed as evidence are radically different to previous iterations. One of the more profound changes was with Megid - which changed from being a hate-based destruction tech that consumed your parties life/or the caster's soul - into a 1-hit kill purple fartcloud.

Then there's the matter of things such as the Elysion - which despite minor spelling differences in all three series, is not the same Laconium Sword which Alis used - and which Chaz weilded against the Profound Darkness. Not in design, not in function, not in anything. And what of the "Alis Claw"? A Laconia Task touched by the flame of the Eclipse Torch? Task is a corruption of Tusk, which were Myau's claw weapons. Alis never used claws. Even the PSO to PSU fanservice weapons aren't immune - such as the Agito which isn't the same weapon type (Saber to Sword), and looking nothing alike. The double agito sets the swords even further apart in design.

They're fanservice - nothing more.

Even some of the most ardent believers in a link between PS and PSO generally acknowledge that even if there was a link - it would not be through the weapons, techs, items, etc.

4th I thought in one of the dialogues the Dark Force states that It cannot be destroyed because of the 1000 year cycle? Isn't that why Noah froze himself for a 1000 years?

Sloppiness on Sega's part. PSIII was developed by an outside team, and PSIV largely ignored it. It was simply too far out there to pull into the series as anything really other than a side-quest. It's not explained how Dark Force was even ALIVE after PSIV considering the Profound Darkness was defeated long before the battle with Dark Force on the Alisa III.

As explained by Ra-Faze, the seal is the source of the "ressurection", because it hides the source of the darkness - and Chaz with his party was sent to render the seal meaningless.

As for Lutz/Noah - He wasn't frozen for 1,000 years. According to the official timeline, it was precisely because of the tear in the seal which he identified and failed to repair that he found ways to project his will into the future. So he was aware of the nature of the seal, just not what was behind it.

5th I never said 4 was a prequel I said 2 could be. At the end of 2 Rolf and friends are attacked by hundreds of humans who created the Mother Brain, this could be the Illuminus (I think it actually calls them earth men, but all earth men are human).

You can't seriously be claiming that PSU takes place during the Great Collapse?

Again the order could be completely jumbled I'm just making the case for PS2 to PSU. If PSU is a prequel then Moatoob would be a desert and it is, in the future PS2 Mother Brain via climatrol turns mota into a lush fertile land, with Mother Brain gone it reverts to Moatoob desert.

There's so much wrong and contradictory with this scenario that I don't even know where to begin.

The small beast race could have become Motavians (farfetched, but plausible when you consider the scavaging nature of rogues).

Except that Motavians have been around since the genesis of the Algol system as one of the three protector races - and were represented in PSI as diminutive random encounter enemies that you could use translation spells to communicate with.

There is simply more evidence connecting the two games than seperating them, even on planet Dezo populated by Dezorians in PS2 you find a hidden race of espers living in the hills could these be the descendents of the Newman race?

I think you're mixing up plot-points with speculation. The Espers far predate the Esper Mansion on Dezolis, which was started by Lutz - and is basically a training ground for those humans talented in MAGIC. Magic and Techs are two completely separate forces. In fact, techniques were completely unknown in Algol until Lutz brought them back from another solar system after his and Alis's spaceship was sabotaged by terrorists loyal to the usurped Lasheic.

Sure its easier to explain if you assume that like FF they are stand alone games (even though it's not true), but the fact that Sega has gone to such great links to create continuity between these games suggests otherwise.

No offense, but sure it's easier to explain links between the series if you know nothing about Phantasy Star classic. Sonic Team went to no great lengths. They're peddling fanservice. That's all.

Many of the games have direct character connections, Rolf dreams about Alis from PS1, and isn't Lutz in 1 and 4

Phantasy Star I - IV are all in the same continuity. PSO I - BB are in the same continuity. PSU to PSP are in the same continuity. However, this does not mean that PS, PSO, or PSU are in the same continuity.

Dark Force is a constant figure, and even govenor Lassic makes multiple apperances, wait isn't Wren in multiple games as well.

All this applies to the classic games only. Dark Force/Falz is merely the staple badguy. It may be possible to link all the game through Dark Force - but really, that still wouldn't change the fact that PSO, PS, and PSU are not linked in any substantial way. It merely means that Dark Force is a inter-dimensional/inter-galactic threat, and Phantasy Star is "The Story of Dark Force" - not of any particular heroes.

Do you really think that for PSU they decided to scrap all the back story and make a stand alone game

Aside from mining the games for storyline/plotpoints that they then threw together with papermachet and white paste (that they were no doubt eating as well), yes. Or do you really think that there was a good reason for bastardizing the Nei-Neifirst relationship the way PSU did, as well as tossing in some Darum/Tiem drama was supposed to be some significant plotpoint?

don't the releifs carved on the guardians colony walls resemble Alis?

No... not really. It's a woman, but that's about she has in common with Alis. You could just as easily make the case that it was Alys Brangwyn, or Laya before she and Orakio died. Hell, you have Rabol Orakio as an armor in PSU as well. It still doesn't mean anything.

You might want to give this a look over.

Phantasy Star Compendium Translation (http://home.att.net/~RACapowski/PS/comtrans.htm)

Ruru
Apr 10, 2009, 02:00 AM
i'd say sinue wins most knowledgeable in PS history on this thread @.@

Zoamel_Gustav
Apr 10, 2009, 04:28 AM
Yes, and what does any of that have to do with Ragol? Ragol was a planet on a stable orbit. It would have to be, or else the entirety of the PSO franchise would have taken place in the same year. Even so, there's nothing directly linking Ragol to Rykros.

I'm not directly linking Ragol to Rykros. I quoted your points about the velocity of a planet being shared by two systems. I was merely stating that Rykros's method of entering the Gurhal system did not require such velocity, nor will Rykros's exit of the Gurhal system. I am merely saying a planet sized object could have appeared from anywhere and could become confined away to anywhere without breaking Gurhal's physics.

Phantasy Star I - IV are all in the same continuity. PSO I - BB are in the same continuity. PSU to PSP are in the same continuity. However, this does not mean that PS, PSO, or PSU are in the same continuity.

What are your thoughts on the battle simulator discovered on Rykros and its virtual characters?

landman
Apr 10, 2009, 05:34 AM
What are your thoughts on the battle simulator discovered on Rykros and its virtual characters?

Those:

This is just lazy storytelling on Sonic Team's part - but a far easier explanation to this all (if one has to create a link) is to blame it on the Photons. Remember that Ragol was rich in photonic activity. In PSU, Photons are revealed to have a "memory" of sorts - a memory that the Divine Maiden taps into to glean her Divinations.

Has anyone stopped to consider that Rykros isn't Ragol - but is merely amplifying and expressing this photonic memory into a reality as illusions?

I just think it came from a dimensional rift lol wasn't card technology "dropped" into a black hole in the end of Episodde III? they could do the same with the virtual simulator.

Ajax
Apr 10, 2009, 08:52 AM
I have question? I thought dark falz terrorize the Algo Solar System not the Gurhal System.
Either dark falz is draw by photon energy in Gurhal System or Howzer summon dark falz?

Zorafim
Apr 10, 2009, 11:36 AM

That tends to happen when you're the only person who plays through the entire series.

RemiusTA
Apr 10, 2009, 11:39 AM
People i sware, Sonic Team doesnt spend half as much time thinking up this story as this thread does, so i highly doubt there is any need for a theory.

Gibdozer
Apr 10, 2009, 02:12 PM

I say he's still viewing things in a linear progression, and not even considering my point that the order could be jumbled and PSU could prequel PS2. The Gurhal system could easily be the Algo system past or future the same planets being terrorized by the same Dark Force. This is the first time I've heard the Ragol Rykos connection but that sounds plausible to me as well.

I'm not saying with certainty that I'm right on the time lines, but the stories are definitely connected!

Gibdozer
Apr 10, 2009, 02:14 PM
I have question? I thought dark falz terrorize the Algo Solar System not the Gurhal System.
Either dark falz is draw by photon energy in Gurhal System or Howzer summon dark falz?

Or Algo and Gurhal are the same system in different time periods.

Zorafim
Apr 10, 2009, 02:26 PM
Ah, fine... If you're still going on about that jumbo, I'll pitch in my arguments as well.

Not necessarily true, many other connections exist, for instance Mother brain (ps2 boss), the same bio monsters(grass assassins for 1), Nei weapons along with a multitude of other items and spells. Combine these with the prophecy that Dark Force, Dark falls, falz will return every 1000 years, and the reoccuring 3 planet theme from PS2 a definite connection begins to emerge.

Let's take for example the Legend of Zelda series. Why? Because I'm playing OoT right now.
Over the course of the games, you're continuously introduced to a character named "Link" (or ***hat, whatever you choose to name him). Link always has the same characteristics: Green tunic, left handed, sword and shield specialization, etc. However, each time you're introduced to him, he has a different life. One game, he's living in the woods with his uncle. Next, he lives in mystic woods with forest elves. Next, he's a farm boy. Yes, you'd be correct in assuming that he's the same character. But to assume all these Links are the same person, and all these games take place in the same generation would be foolish, since all these Links can't have the same birthings.

Let's use Mother Brain. Yes, she looks rather similar, and plays a similar roll. Link looks similar, and plays a similar roll in his game too. But they can't possibly be the same Mother Brain. Why?
First off, they're on the wrong planets. PSU's is on Parum, while PSII's is on a satellite. Secondly, they do different things. PSII's controls all automated mechanisms, such as climate and labs, while PSU's controls only military robotics. And thirdly, they both die. Yes, you could say that they were rebuilt. But that's enough to say that they aren't the same system.

As for Bio-monsters? You can't use this argument at all. Mainly because, PSU doesn't have bio-monsters. It has native life forms. Bio-monsters are programmed to be aggressive, while PSU's life forms are controlled to become aggressive. And as for similar creatures? See Link.

Nei weapons? Fan service. Does WoW's Slayer of the Lifeless prove that South Park takes place in the same universe as our conversation? I really hope not...

Possibly over the course of thousands of years Algo became Gurhal, Mota=Moatoob, Parma=Parum, and Dezo=Neudiaz (or vice versa), ancient civilizations and races washed away or merged into new societies. But for this to hold true PSU would have to prequel PS2 since Parum (Parma) is destroyed in PS2.

And erm, saving this for later criticism. I have class in five minutes.

Gibdozer
Apr 10, 2009, 03:55 PM
Mother Brain could be the name of the program (physical resemblance aside), the program would have started as a more basic system(in the prequel PSU) by the time PS2 comes around the program has evolved beyond only military applications!

NO PSU doesn't have Bio monsters, because in my theory it is a prequel, the bio monsters would represent mutated forms of the current(PS2) native life.

Yeah like I said in my previous post the homage to Nei is obvious, but thank you for stating it anyway.

Yes it is a far flung theory but before you denounce it at least give it consideration. The prefix pre denotes before, so the theory works from the standpoint that PSU actually happens before PS2 in the timeline!

And damn people the thread is about your theories, so come up with your own ideas (independent of current fan fiction) to fill in the plot holes. If the thread had been named "Attack the Gibs theory" I would not mind so much but this is getting ridiculous. If you want to put some of this energy into developing an original point of view, I'd love hear it. If you just want to debate the validity of my theory at least do me the courtesy of reading it first!

P.S. That should have read Gurhal became Algo, sorry.

Zorafim
Apr 10, 2009, 05:10 PM
You can't exactly state something that's contrary to popular belief without your idea being attacked. Theories need to be tested, after all. You can't exactly lose patience if people don't accept it.

And believe it or not, I'm giving your theory more consideration than you seem to be. I'm considering everything you say, and I find something wrong with almost everything. It's fine that you're throwing the idea out there, but you have to accept that it might not be correct. Hell, I've toyed with it for a while, but it just doesn't hold light.

landman
Apr 10, 2009, 07:08 PM
It Cannot be Algol during the period compressed between PSI and PSIV because history on Algo was well known during the first millennium (Parum/Palm was a very cultural planet), and in the second millennium it still was known for the Espers and the Motabian universities AND Gurhal has a well known history from the last millennia and the Relics are dated from more than 10 millennia: http://psupedia.info/History_of_Gurhal

What about the races? Algol had 3 original races: humans (parmanians), motavians and dezolians. PSU had only humans. If Gurhal was Algol in the past, where did Motavians and Dezolians come from? are they the evolution of Lapucha and Kakwane? lol they could be indeed, but in that case newman, beasts and CASTs should be extinguished, so that means... the illuminus won!! xDD

It could also be Algol in the far future, if a civilization can create a mechanism that can transport an entire planet to another dimension why couldn't they reconstruct an entire planet? Parum could be an artificial planet from its core to the crust (do anyone know if Parum has tectonic activity? xD)

Sinue_v2
Apr 10, 2009, 07:29 PM
I say he's still viewing things in a linear progression, and not even considering my point that the order could be jumbled and PSU could prequel PS2.

But the problem is, though, that time operates in a linear fashion. So you have to fit whatever theory you come up with into a known and well established timeline. If events you want to shoehorn into a timeline contradict what is already established - then it doesn't work.

So insofar as PSU taking place in Algol - the only place it would really fit in is millions of year prior to the classic series - since nowhere in the classic series does it mention the Relics or the battles between the ancients 12,000 before PSU, nor can it take place afterward because of the destruction of Palma. It certainly cannot take place during the classic PS series - since almost none of the plotpoints match up. The technology is not the same, the races are not the same, the organizations are not the same, planetary orbits are not the same, etc, etc, etc.

The only instance in Phantasy Star where time operated non-linearly is in one of the endings to PSIII where the Alissa III enters a black hole and is whisked across space and time to land on planet Earth in the 21st century. This would give humanity a jump-start on technology - a technology they were not ready for and ended up destroying their ecosystem with. Using the computers onboard the Alissa III, they could determine the crafts point of origin and travel there to take over that world. Hence, PSII - which leads directly into PSIII and the cycle starts again.

Oh... and there was something about a Time Warp at the end of PSIV when the Profound Darkness's prison dimension was collapsing, but that was never really explored.

Ajax
Apr 10, 2009, 10:56 PM
Gurhal system sound like a prison where profound darkness is contain.
Or Gurhal system probably inhabited by the survivors of Algo system. Hence the survivors will name three planets afters planets in the Algo system. Like your own explorer name places with old world names in the new world.

Zorafim
Apr 10, 2009, 11:27 PM
Parma went boom, Gurhal's not Algo in the future.

The prison thing sounds viable, though. Since SEED just pop up out of nowhere, there's nothing saying that things sealed within Algo pop up in Gurhal. Or rather, nothing besides the fact that you actually enter the seal and kill everything in it. And the fact that Gurhal looks nothing like the scar of darkness...

Did, like, any of you play the original series? Are you guys just making stuff up without thinking about it? I'm intrigued by "theories", but you could at least put some thought into them...

Ajax
Apr 11, 2009, 12:25 AM
I play PS2, PS3, and PS4. I play PSO 1 and 2. We do not know where the humans come from that inhabit the Gurhal system. What draws dark falz to Gurhal system? The ruins is giant containment system. If I was dark falz. I try stay away that prison in space. Because you will end up sealed away for next thousand years.

landman
Apr 11, 2009, 01:38 AM
We either don't know how humans (from Palma) arrived to Algol, yeah the Divine Light placed them there as protectors bla bla bla... but I would prefer a more rational explanation, even in a fantasy game lol that stateria-like being in Rykros could have been programed to explain that religious BS thinking that humans are too dumb to understand the truth lol

Ajax
Apr 11, 2009, 09:01 AM
You know what is sad. You are dark falz. Who travel from Algol system to Gurhal system on Rykros. One of ultimate evils of universe. Instead destroy the Gurhal system. You are seal away by bunch of mettle kids.
Come on Sega. You think bunch of teenagers give rats about law and order of Gurhal system.
This not Scooby Doo. What next. A talking rappy. Who is hungry for Rappy snacks.

Gibdozer
Apr 11, 2009, 03:47 PM
You know what is sad. You are dark falz. Who travel from Algol system to Gurhal system on Rykros. One of ultimate evils of universe. Instead destroy the Gurhal system. You are seal away by bunch of mettle kids.
Come on Sega. You think bunch of teenagers give rats about law and order of Gurhal system.
This not Scooby Doo. What next. A talking rappy. Who is hungry for Rappy snacks.

Yeah, well teenagers destroyed the Death Star !