PDA

View Full Version : Console Wars

R3volver
Apr 7, 2009, 04:48 PM
I just saw a kid crying about having a trey instead of a 360. That means console wars time. This thread is not about fighting with each other. It's about ranting about why you hate certain consoles and compiling that into a giant list.

PS Triple:
Frame Rate Issues
Lacks Some Big Titles and Online RPGs Like PSU
Offers Free Online
May Be Superior One Day
Some Games Have Slightly Better Graphics
Allows You To Play Phantasy Star Portable Online For Free
Games cost like 5 bucks more than on 360
killzone 2
Costs More
Free online service
Better controller (opinion)
Blue-ray
Better versatility (in cams, mics, keyboards, themes, flash drives, etc. you can use)
Less chance of overheating
Little Big Planet
Can install Linux on it
ps3 upscales ps1/ps2 games to 1080p
PS2 games if you lucky

XBOX 360:
Have To Pay For Live
Has Online RPGs Like PSU
Has a Couple Of Alright Exclusives
RROD (The Only Time A Red Ring Isn't Rare And Desirable)
Games cost like 5 bucks more than on PC
Halo
Gears of War
Better online service
Bigger library
Better OS
Bigger marketplace
Affordability
Plays Some Old XBOX Games

Portables:
It's Not About The Bad Graphics
It's About The Bad Gameplay
I feel like throwing away my vote
Nintendogs at School is the Bomb

PC:
Like Playing With Cheaters
Not Dumb Enough To Waste Money
Don't Care What Games Are Missed Out On
able to multitask while playing a game.

Dreamcast:
FTW
/thread

Wii:
I Dare You.
Different audience, and I have no interest in owning one or judging it.
It's a Gamecube
Motion Sensing
It Plays Nintendo Games (lol)
theres just not a lot of great games for it (as far as my taste goes)

DS:
larger library of games.
You can throw it off of high places
Phoenix Wright
Pokemon
It Plays Nintendo Games (lol)

PSP:

Super Nintendo:

Sega Genesis:

PS3 References:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ELPRESADOR
http://www.youtube.com/wip3ou7
http://www.youtube.com/user/treezy504

XBOX 360 References:

Portable References:

PC References:

SStrikerR
Apr 7, 2009, 04:50 PM
Should add the poll and the rest of you post first. o_O

R3volver
Apr 7, 2009, 04:58 PM
First of all, what? Also, you're seriously TRYING to start a flame war? PRO troll guys, he goes straight out and tells us his goals.

Hush! You posted before I even made the poll!

Kylie
Apr 7, 2009, 05:15 PM
PS3

Free online service
Better controller (opinion)
Blue-ray
Better versatility (in cams, mics, keyboards, themes, flash drives, etc. you can use)
Less chance of overheating

Xbox 360

Better online service
Bigger library
Better OS
Bigger marketplace
Affordability

Honestly, I have both, and I have no preference anymore. I have no reason to.
They both have pretty terrible customer supports, by the way.
Portable: DS > PSP; simply for the library.
Wii: Different audience, and I have no interest in owning one or judging it.

Short, simple, and to the point. I don't waste too much effort on console wars.

Kent
Apr 7, 2009, 05:19 PM
I like how the Wii isn't on the poll listings.

Inazuma
Apr 7, 2009, 05:29 PM
ps3 upscales ps1/ps2 games to 1080p. that means the ps3 is the winner of the current generation console war imo. i dont care much for the ps3 games b/c of DLC -_- paying over $60 for a single game is too much.

as for xbox 360, if they manage to make one that doesnt break, i might consider buying it. once again, DLC is a pile of shit however so i dunno. unfortunately many games are plagued by it.

oh, the wii? its hard to even consider this one a current gen gaming console since all they did was add shitty motion controls to a gamecube. after wii motion plus comes out, i may change my tune.

besides psu, i mostly play retro games. my favorite console is either the saturn or the dreamcast. power stone ftw!

Randomness
Apr 7, 2009, 05:33 PM
I like how the Wii isn't on the poll listings.

Especially when its outperforming everything that is. (Assuming you aren't counting PCs, which are, well, PCs. Not consoles.)

Kent
Apr 7, 2009, 05:39 PM
ps3 upscales ps1/ps2 games to 1080p. that means the ps3 is the winner of the current generation console war imo.
To bad there's not some device that will upscale your Genesis games, right?

R3volver
Apr 7, 2009, 06:06 PM
Especially when its outperforming everything that is. (Assuming you aren't counting PCs, which are, well, PCs. Not consoles.)

We have standards here at console wars, sir.

Zyrusticae
Apr 7, 2009, 06:07 PM
Funny thread premises.

I like and agree with the omission of the Wii in the poll. It's become less a gaming console and more of a toy for children and for adults who want Wii Fit, with the occasional game of Wii Sports.

But the PC should not be on that list. It is not a console. Besides the fact that it's not designed to sit flat on the floor (most of the time), it's not supposed to hook up to a TV, it doesn't have a fixed architecture, and it's used for so many things besides playing games. (Y'know, like typing posts on this forum).

As far as actual consoles go, the first thing I look at is the game library, and unfortunately for the PS3 the 360 kinda wins out in spades, in addition to being cheaper (although it's just as cheap in production quality, which is... just... sad, really). The whole paying for XBox Live and the RROD, on the other hand, make me wish I had gotten a PS3 instead. Especially the paying for XBox Live. In just two years the PS3 is already cheaper, one year if you have more than one person buying a Gold account. That's BS. I don't care if it's supposedly better, they're making me pay for shit I already have as a PC Gamer. I don't care if I have to sacrifice some of that functionality for free fucking online, you bastards! RAAARRGH! [/rant]

No, seriously. Fuck that shit. I refuse to pay for something I normally get for free. The only reason I even have a 360 is because my uncle bought it for us as a Christmas present, which was awfully nice of him, but of course I can't play online with it without shelling out the dough. Fuck you, Microsoft. Fuck you.

Inazuma
Apr 7, 2009, 06:11 PM
To bad there's not some device that will upscale your Genesis games, right?

i need to buy a SDTV actually. my old one broke and i havent replaced it yet. mega drive games look so bad on my HDTV. i cant even read the text.

SStrikerR
Apr 7, 2009, 06:28 PM
I picked PC, but only because the Wii isn't there.

R3volver
Apr 7, 2009, 06:37 PM
I picked PC, but only because the Wii isn't there.

Why would you have picked the Wii?

KodiaX987
Apr 7, 2009, 07:32 PM
Dreamcast.

/thread

Randomness
Apr 7, 2009, 07:50 PM
Why would you have picked the Wii?

Probably because of the games. You know, what really matters.

Chuck_Norris
Apr 7, 2009, 07:52 PM
Atari 2600.

R3volver
Apr 7, 2009, 07:59 PM
Probably because of the games. You know, what really matters.

tell me their names. ill put them on the list. ill then look them up and pass judgment on you secretly.

AlexCraig
Apr 7, 2009, 09:14 PM
Super Nintendo.

W0LB0T
Apr 7, 2009, 09:30 PM
PS Triple:
Can install Linux on it

sounds like a pretty bad error going there. you wanna play some overhyped wankfest FPS on your trips then...FUCK MAN! LINUX SCREEN OF NERD!

Not Dumb Enough To Waste Money

More like: Not smart enough to buy one.

PC's should never be used in a console war, Becasue its not a console, Its a multipuropse tool.

Nitro Vordex
Apr 7, 2009, 09:46 PM
That means console wars time. This thread is not about fighting with each other. It's about ranting about why you hate certain consoles and compiling that into a giant list.

What the hell do you think console WARS is? >_>

Dreamcast.

/thread
This.

R3volver
Apr 7, 2009, 09:54 PM
sounds like a pretty bad error going there. you wanna play some overhyped wankfest FPS on your trips then...FUCK MAN! LINUX SCREEN OF NERD!

More like: Not smart enough to buy one.

PC's should never be used in a console war, Becasue its not a console, Its a multipuropse tool.

The PS Triple is a COMPUTER entertainment system. Did you know the Dreamcast can browse the web and play music?

Leviathan
Apr 7, 2009, 09:54 PM
No interest in owning any of the above mentioned consoles. Save for PS3 and Little Big Planet, but I think buying a $500 system for a $50 game would be quite stupid.

I'm happily taken with my DS+Wii. (:

R3volver
Apr 7, 2009, 09:56 PM
No interest in owning any of the above mentioned consoles. Save for PS3 and Little Big Planet, but I think buying a $500 system for a $50 game would be quite stupid.

I'm happily taken with my DS+Wii. (:

I should have used that logic when I bought the PS Triple. Luckily I had a backup plan of playing Rainbow Six Vegas 2 on it all day. Tell me why you like Wii and DS.

Leviathan
Apr 7, 2009, 10:13 PM
DS; Phoenix Wright, Pokemon, Nintendo games, the fact that you can drop a DS from 1 story down and it will play perfectly. And wifi is nifty too.

Wii; Always liked Nintendo games. Slightly better graphics and motion sensor was cool beans. I don't understand how people think it was bad. I always thought gameplay > graphics. If I wanted graphics I would just buy a PS3 or Xbox 360 for that and use it on the plasma.

Aisha379
Apr 7, 2009, 10:19 PM
Well I own all of them so NYAH NYAH.

The Wii is a fine system, theres just not a lot of great games for it (as far as my taste goes). Excluding it from being "next gen" merely because of the graphics is a bit stupid though. Graphics does not equal next gen, nor does gameplay, next gen is just the newest system in a line, so there =(

Between the PS3 and 360, well, they both have a lot of hardware and software issues that piss me off, but really, they're practically the same system, only the 360 has a few more exclusives and a faster online system.

I guess I'd technically have to go with 360 because I generally tend to play it more, but that doesn't exactly make the system itself better. *shrugs*

Who cares though, like I said, I own all three, so I can be an indecisive asshole and not have to sit in a corner and justify prices to myself, MWHAHAHA.

Zyrusticae
Apr 7, 2009, 10:20 PM
The PS Triple is a COMPUTER entertainment system. Did you know the Dreamcast can browse the web and play music?

That's not at all the same thing as a PC.

You can't change the OS (without majorly tampering with the thing in ways that will void your warranty and quite possibly fuck the system up in its game-playing ability), you can't install new functionality into it, and you most certainly cannot play the absolutely massive backlog of PC games on it (and even PS1/PS2 games are already unplayable on the new machines thanks to a complete omission of backwards compatibility). Modding is more difficult, if not impossible, and it simply doesn't have the sheer versatility of a well-built PC.

All consoles use computing technology - technically, they are all computer systems. The difference lies in their closed architecture, and it is the primary reason they are so cheap. But they cannot replace a PC. Not yet, anyways, and most likely not ever. Try telling every single manufacturer of all those thousands of myriad PC parts to stop their business in favor of one super-machine that rules all, see how they respond...

R3volver
Apr 7, 2009, 10:36 PM
Well I own all of them so NYAH NYAH.

Who cares though, like I said, I own all three, so I can be an indecisive asshole and not have to sit in a corner and justify prices to myself, MWHAHAHA.

I don't mean to brag but I broke the DS on purpose just because I could...

SpikeOtacon
Apr 7, 2009, 10:38 PM

Cool story bro.

Aisha379
Apr 7, 2009, 10:46 PM

I fail to see what you being fucking stupid has to do with me owning all the systems, but okay, nice job with that.

R3volver
Apr 7, 2009, 10:49 PM
That's not at all the same thing as a PC.

You can't change the OS (without majorly tampering with the thing in ways that will void your warranty and quite possibly fuck the system up in its game-playing ability), you can't install new functionality into it, and you most certainly cannot play the absolutely massive backlog of PC games on it. Modding is more difficult, if not impossible, and it simply doesn't have the sheer versatility of a well-built PC.

All [Macs] use computing technology - technically, they are all computer systems. The difference lies in their closed architecture, and it is the primary reason they are so [expensive]. But they cannot replace a PC. Not yet, anyways, and most likely not ever. Try telling every single manufacturer of all those thousands of myriad PC parts to stop their business in favor of one super-machine that rules all, see how they respond...

Fixed.

I fail to see [why both of us] being fucking stupid has to do with me owning all the systems, but okay, nice job with that.

Fixed.

Now stay on topic so I don't have to pwn everyone.

Aisha379
Apr 7, 2009, 10:57 PM
O shit my post has been quote edited! I have been thoroughly "pwnd!"

Now stay on topic so I don't have to make an actual intelligent debate or remark for once to everyone.

Yes sir!

Syl
Apr 7, 2009, 11:01 PM
Blatant trolling is blatant.

Hay guize since my opinion is greater than yours, you are all stupid for not thinking the way I do!

I voted PC, just because I like to be able to multitask while playing a game.

Leviathan
Apr 7, 2009, 11:44 PM
You broke a DS?

Tuff stuff broseph!

You should've just sold it if it was worthless to you.

Aisha379
Apr 7, 2009, 11:47 PM
HELLZ YEAH

All he has to do now is punch a PSP and its LOOK OUT UFC

Nitro Vordex
Apr 7, 2009, 11:49 PM
Bad trolling is bad.

TRIOLL PATROL REPORTING FOR DUTY.

R3volver
Apr 7, 2009, 11:57 PM
4chan is a bad influence. You guys shouldn't be going there. You guys swear way too much with no fear and love to open your mouths far too often. The PS3 will probably be my last system anyway. I have lost faith in the gaming world. I now see that I've sucked the well dry long ago. Until companies start spending big bucks on their products and taking real risks backed by a real vision to push gaming forward I will not be buying anymore games. I'm sick of this retarded kiddy crap and excuse me for not putting up with it from you guys by acknowledging the Wii.

Aisha379
Apr 8, 2009, 12:02 AM
I guess that means you have no reason to come here anymore.

=(

AlexCraig
Apr 8, 2009, 12:03 AM
Locked to prevent further flaming and trolling.