PDA

View Full Version : Drivers

Zyrusticae
Apr 8, 2009, 08:27 PM
Urgh, so many things I can complain about...

First of all, there are the speeders. There was one particularly egregious speeder today who was going roughly 90 on a 65 MPH highway, and actually went out of bounds to cut ahead of the line in a very illegal manner. Pisses me off.

I mean, besides the fact that you're breaking the law (obviously), there's the fact that the faster you go past a certain point, the more fuel you have to spend to maintain that speed. And it's exponential. So the further away you are from the speed limit, the more fuel you're wasting. Sure, if you have a sports car and a six-digit income you can probably afford to do so, but gawdamnit, we already have a terrible situation with fossil fuels as it is, and you're going out of your way to expend those already-limited-resources as quickly as possible?

For everyone who isn't rich or at least "up there" and is obviously speeding: Why? What do you have to gain from going 10-15 MPH faster than you should be? A minute or three of shaved commuting time? You realize that you're going to have to make that time up with work for money so you can pump the car with gas again, right? I just don't get it. The speed limit's 65, I'm going 70, and I'm still getting passed by with very disturbing regularity. Is it worth it, people? Is it really?

And then there are those who keep the gas pressed down until the very last second, even when they're approaching a friggin' red light. What the hell's the point? It's a red light! You're going to have to stop anyway, so why bother? Why not just let go of the gas and let the car cruise until, y'know, the light changes? You don't even have to press the brakes then! You save craptons of gas this way! So why do so many people keep doing such a ridiculous thing? I just can't wrap my head around it...

W0LB0T
Apr 8, 2009, 09:09 PM
Answer: its fun!

Hooning around is an adrenline rush. Its fun, fast and intense. Despite being about as safe is putting your love spuds in the mouth of an crocodile.

But that kind of shit needs to stay off the roads. It may be fun now, but it won't be in hospital/Coffin.

Outrider
Apr 8, 2009, 09:34 PM
Dear motorists,

Use your turn signals when changing lanes or turning around other cars.

You're not only a jerk if you don't, but probably an idiot as well. I'll also wager that you're ugly and nobody has ever loved you.

That's all I have to add.

Tessu
Apr 8, 2009, 09:39 PM
It's also possible they could be taking their frustration out on the gas pedal.

I find that the angrier my dad gets, the more reckless he drives. And not just road rage anger, either, but in-the-car stress (like if my sister is throwing a fit) or if he's stressed out because he's late for work. He's not speeding to try and get there faster, he's speeding because he's pissed and is taking his anger out on the road.

The worst is that there's a very, very windy road that has sharp turns on the way to our house and if he's upset while we're driving down that the end of the car is practically hanging off of the edge before he jerks the wheel in the right direction. It's incredibly risky and I hate it.

As for my own driving? NAAAAAAAAAW. I don't drive. That would be silly.

Syl
Apr 8, 2009, 10:11 PM
I hate people who turn right on a red light when it CLEARLY says on a sign that you are to not turn until the light is green. I've been hit by a driver because of it before and now I'm always paranoid about crossing :/

Nitro Vordex
Apr 8, 2009, 10:40 PM
I'm not sure if this is a rant about bad drivers or someone whining about natural resource wasting.

SpikeOtacon
Apr 8, 2009, 10:49 PM
The first thing I thought of when I saw the topic title was hardware drivers for computer parts.

I might have a little bit of a problem.

Aeris
Apr 8, 2009, 11:09 PM
It's also possible they could be taking their frustration out on the gas pedal.

I find that the angrier my dad gets, the more reckless he drives. And not just road rage anger, either, but in-the-car stress (like if my sister is throwing a fit) or if he's stressed out because he's late for work. He's not speeding to try and get there faster, he's speeding because he's pissed and is taking his anger out on the road.

The worst is that there's a very, very windy road that has sharp turns on the way to our house and if he's upset while we're driving down that the end of the car is practically hanging off of the edge before he jerks the wheel in the right direction. It's incredibly risky and I hate it.

As for my own driving? NAAAAAAAAAW. I don't drive. That would be silly.

I Loled, reminds me of my mom driving on the freeway and she was doing 70-75 at the speed limit and some people go past us going like 80-100.

Chuck_Norris
Apr 9, 2009, 12:09 AM
The first thing I thought of when I saw the topic title was hardware drivers for computer parts.

I might have a little bit of a problem.

Naaaw.

I thought the same thing ._....

rogue_robot
Apr 9, 2009, 12:11 AM
we already have a terrible situation with fossil fuels as it is, and you're going out of your way to expend those already-limited-resources as quickly as possible?

Funny thing about this... my grandfather actually encourages wasting fuel. He more or less put it this way: the faster we burn up that limited resource, the sooner alternative energy sources will become a necessity.

beatrixkiddo
Apr 9, 2009, 12:18 AM
Naaaw.

I thought the same thing ._....

Me three D:

Aeris
Apr 9, 2009, 12:19 AM
Funny thing about this... my grandfather actually encourages wasting fuel. He more or less put it this way: the faster we burn up that limited resource, the sooner alternative fuels will become a necessity.

xD rofl, i think thats kinna bad though, its like polluting the world more than cleaning it.

DreXxiN
Apr 9, 2009, 02:52 AM
Me three D:

*Hops bandwagon*

I opened this seeing that as well. XD

NPCMook
Apr 9, 2009, 04:07 AM
I find it hilarious how some people drive, I begin coasting as soon as I see a red light/Stop sign while I'm driving and I'll have people whip around me at 50+ miles an hour just so they can get to that red light sooner than me, I usually try to time it so I don't have to break. Yeah, I drive differently so I can squeeze every little bit out of my tank. Sometime the light will just turn green and I already have people trying to change lanes because I'm not going 70 right off the line... Seriously if you are in THAT big of a rush, then you need to leave earlier(of course if you are leaving your job, then... well I guess you can't leave any earlier right :wacko:)

KodiaX987
Apr 9, 2009, 08:34 AM
I remember when I took driving classes, I was taught to stop a few carlengths before a redlight and slowly close the gap as more cars stopped behind me. The strategy was that if someone didn't brake in time, he wouldn't send me right into the middle of the intersection in the collision because I'd still have some room for myself to either escape, or to take the force of the impact but remain in a safe spot nonetheless.

As I told about that to a friend of mine, he replied, and I quote:

"Wow that is like the stupidest thing I ever heard in my life. I hope your driving teacher fucking dies and goes to hell. If I ever see someone pulling shit like that, I'll just swerve right around his stupid ass."

FYI, that person was once a truck driver and he exited/merged on freeways whether there were cars or not in his path. He figured that since he was in a 10-wheeler and the others were in little sedans, it was their problem to get out of his way - even if it meant taking the ditch.

Zyrusticae
Apr 9, 2009, 09:03 AM
In my worldview, someone who wastes gas when driving is also a bad driver, so the two go hand-in-hand.

Ah, I knew I forgot something. Yes, the people who don't use their turn signals, ever, drive me nuts. Unfortunately, my mom is one of those people. Sigh. At least she doesn't drive overly fast...

--Digression: What could I possibly have to rant about for computer drivers? Hm, well, I guess I could rant about how poor Creative's driver support has been in the past, and how I had to resort to a 3rd party solution to get things working properly...

KodiaX987
Apr 9, 2009, 01:23 PM
--Digression: What could I possibly have to rant about for computer drivers? Hm, well, I guess I could rant about how poor Creative's driver support has been in the past, and how I had to resort to a 3rd party solution to get things working properly...

How about the fact that Windows XP Setup will not accept external drivers in any way other than via a floppy drive?

No floppy drive? Tough shit, bro.

amtalx
Apr 9, 2009, 01:56 PM
How about the fact that Windows XP Setup will not accept external drivers in any way other than via a floppy drive?

No floppy drive? Tough shit, bro.

Slipstream yo.

CrimsomWolf
Apr 9, 2009, 02:24 PM
*Hops bandwagon*

I opened this seeing that as well. XD

Exactly. :wacko:

For starters, what's the whole "language" stuff with drivers?
How should I know if it's US or UK, if it's imported into a country on other side of Atlantic, sold in some internet shop and installed on imported XP.

And why do people speed? As WOLBOT said, it's fun.
And if our fossil fuels are to run out, so who cares? ^^

Kent
Apr 9, 2009, 02:27 PM
Other people and the stupid things they pull are the number one reason I hate driving.

Dear motorists,

Use your turn signals when changing lanes or turning around other cars.

You're not only a jerk if you don't, but probably an idiot as well. I'll also wager that you're ugly and nobody has ever loved you.

That's all I have to add.
It's interesting when people say things like "Oh, it's okay to not signal your turn or lane change if there's nobody around."

Uh... No it isn't, because that means you're giving concious thought to it. The reason the driver's manual (in Minnesota at least) says to do it anyway, is so that you'll have it ingrained into yourself, on a habitual level, to always signal, no matter what. In turn, this prevents people from "accidentally" forgetting to signal when there are people around.

...But yes, I concur with your assessment.

--Digression: What could I possibly have to rant about for computer drivers?
You might be (unpleasantly) surprised.

Outrider
Apr 9, 2009, 03:25 PM
It's interesting when people say things like "Oh, it's okay to not signal your turn or lane change if there's nobody around."

But if they're all on their own then I'm not there to HATE them.

KodiaX987
Apr 9, 2009, 03:33 PM
Slipstream yo.

I already tried. Setup completely ignored the drivers' presence.

Leviathan
Apr 9, 2009, 03:37 PM
They showed us a fun-filled movie at school today about driving safely.
It reminded me of this thread too.

Sure speeding may be fun [never done it.] but when you wreck, deal with it.

I haven't taken any driving lessons yet but I hope that I'll turn out to not be a horrible driver. Especially the ones who don't use their turning signals. :argh:

amtalx
Apr 9, 2009, 04:01 PM
I already tried. Setup completely ignored the drivers' presence.

I've never tried it for anything other than SATA drivers, but nLite works pretty well for adding the drivers to the disc image.

Zyrusticae
Apr 9, 2009, 04:32 PM
I'll admit speeding can be fun...

But I, personally, find driving to be an incredibly stressful experience. Any number of things can go wrong at any one point in time, and adding an inability to control my forward momentum on that already-large list is just too much for me. Really, I prefer not being the driver, but now that I have years of experience in the driver's seat it is very hard for me to feel comfortable with anyone else at the wheel anymore.

Weeaboolits
Apr 9, 2009, 04:56 PM
I was expecting this thread to be about the software variety.

Chuck_Norris
Apr 9, 2009, 05:03 PM
I was expecting this thread to be about the software variety.

What is that, like 6 now?

Inazuma
Apr 9, 2009, 06:11 PM
i thought of computer drivers too, w. i was all set to complain about microsoft's lack of drivers for the xbox chatpad >_>

car drivers are trouble indeed. every day i come across assholes driving too fast, too slow, or not signaling. its annoying but you have to understand that most people are idiots who lack the ability to think.

oh, and what about 4 way stop signs? there have been so many times when i arrive to the stop sign a little before someone else, but since i make a full stop and they just slide on through, they think they can go before me and we almost get into an accident.

Midicronica
Apr 9, 2009, 07:48 PM
All tailgaters should be hung from the top of tree by their entrails. It's even worse when you're in the car with someone who fucking tailgates. *waves at my brother*

Nitro Vordex
Apr 9, 2009, 08:32 PM
What is that, like 6 now?
Make it seven. >_>

Rust
Apr 9, 2009, 09:41 PM
8 there.

But yeah, speeding is fun. When you are on a road where you're meant to be speeding up... like a kart racing circuit.

Driving in traffic is all but enjoyable.

Inazuma
Apr 9, 2009, 09:41 PM
All tailgaters should be hung from the top of tree by their entrails. It's even worse when you're in the car with someone who fucking tailgates. *waves at my brother*

tailgaters suck but at least there is something we can do to stop them. just drive VERY fucking slowly. they will be sure to change lanes and pass you. and right when they pass you, make sure to drive very fast so they understand that you were only going slow b/c of them tailgating you. this has always worked great for me.

Solstis
Apr 9, 2009, 10:38 PM
tailgaters suck but at least there is something we can do to stop them. just drive VERY fucking slowly. they will be sure to change lanes and pass you. and right when they pass you, make sure to drive very fast so they understand that you were only going slow b/c of them tailgating you. this has always worked great for me.

Are you the person that drives exactly the speed limit in the left lane, forcing people to switch lanes to pass you, then match their speeds?

If so, you're an asshole. It's not your place to regulate the road. (If so) Move over or get over yourself.

That said, I feel uncomfortable going more than 5 over the speed-limit, and tailgaters can suck it (my exhaust). It's not worth the stress in order to prove a point, so I move over when it's convenient. I save my bluster and idiocy for the Internet.

Volcompat321
Apr 10, 2009, 01:10 AM
hey, driving what you call "bad" is not always a horrible thing. ive had to use the manouvers ive learned over the past 5-6 years of driving by doing "stupid" things to save my life during a hurricane (i live in florida, lots of em). For instance in a hurricane, a tree dropped RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME while driving my bike (motorcycle) and had to do some crazy shit I DIDNT even know i could actually do. And i know that i wouldnt have been able to "save myself" if i hadnt messed around driving stupid. you can learn a few tricks by being an unsafe driver sometimes. now, im not condoning bad driving, i did my stupid things with friends in a parking lot in the middle of the night. and even in cars...ive done my fair share of burning out, and doing crazy things i saw in movies...its really helps you to become a better driver in the long run. maybe people shouldnt do it on the road when other drivers are around. but in all honesty,(NOT when people are around) thats how you learn...by doing. and about the gas thing, i do believe its stupid when people go well over the speen limit, (ive gotten 3 speeding tickets) and realized i couldnt afford speeding anymore. lol. not only that, i really only drove stupid when i was around 16-18..after that i calmed down. and people will continue to do so until they realize how it affects other people. anyway, enough typing for me i wrote an essay.

MetaZedlen
Apr 10, 2009, 01:33 AM
8 there.

But yeah, speeding is fun. When you are on a road where you're meant to be speeding up... like a kart racing circuit.

Driving in traffic is all but enjoyable.

9 now...

Yea, shitty drivers (on the road and in the computer) both just need to be taken from existence and never be seen again by anything's eyes.

Rasputin
Apr 10, 2009, 01:34 AM
Logorrhea

Gentlemen
Apr 10, 2009, 01:35 AM
hey, driving what you call "bad" is not always a horrible thing. ive had to use the manouvers ive learned over the past 5-6 years of driving by doing "stupid" things to save my life during a hurricane (i live in florida, lots of em). For instance in a hurricane, a tree dropped RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME while driving my bike (motorcycle) and had to do some crazy shit I DIDNT even know i could actually do. And i know that i wouldnt have been able to "save myself" if i hadnt messed around driving stupid. you can learn a few tricks by being an unsafe driver sometimes. now, im not condoning bad driving, i did my stupid things with friends in a parking lot in the middle of the night. and even in cars...ive done my fair share of burning out, and doing crazy things i saw in movies...its really helps you to become a better driver in the long run. maybe people shouldnt do it on the road when other drivers are around. but in all honesty,(NOT when people are around) thats how you learn...by doing. and about the gas thing, i do believe its stupid when people go well over the speen limit, (ive gotten 3 speeding tickets) and realized i couldnt afford speeding anymore. lol. not only that, i really only drove stupid when i was around 16-18..after that i calmed down. and people will continue to do so until they realize how it affects other people. anyway, enough typing for me i wrote an essay.

You deserve a medal doc![spoiler-box]
http://www.ubercharged.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/tf2soldier01.jpg[/spoiler-box]

Darkly
Apr 10, 2009, 05:44 AM
10! woop!

KodiaX987
Apr 10, 2009, 07:57 AM
I've never tried it for anything other than SATA drivers, but nLite works pretty well for adding the drivers to the disc image.

Aaaaaaand guess what I used to slipstrea my drivers? ;)

amtalx
Apr 10, 2009, 08:40 AM
Aaaaaaand guess what I used to slipstrea my drivers? ;)

A delicious wedge of Colby Jack cheese?