PDA

View Full Version : Cast quick dodge

Gibdozer
Apr 12, 2009, 12:32 PM
I've seen several enemy casts use a fancy dodge/roll move to evade my attacks, why don't our characters have access to this ability? The coding is obviously present for this, I want a quick dodge to, shouldn't we be at least as agile as our opponents?

ZyphNeko
Apr 12, 2009, 12:46 PM
Yeah, SRSLY...I don't like it how those stupid li'l jerks can roll around all over the place and do epic flips while we're too busy running around slowly going all "HURR HURRRRR HURHU R HURRR IMMA GONNA JABROKEN JOOOO ;D" Blah. Hopefully they'll give us that sort of thing at the supplement update, but that's hoping for too much.

Boo at you, Sega. ;<

Neko~

Criss
Apr 12, 2009, 12:46 PM
It probably would be possible for ST to code in a dodge roll function for players, but the problem is that the game and enemies in general are not balanced for that. They'd have to change everything, from enemy movement speed, attack frequency, projectile travel speed, etc... just to balance things.

ashley50
Apr 12, 2009, 12:59 PM
PSZ has it...i believe.

BIGGIEstyle
Apr 12, 2009, 01:12 PM
It's not worth the trouble it would be to add it. Walking around going "HURR HURR JARBOKEN" as Neko put it is easy enough. If they gave players the ability to dodge and roll and flip they'd have to modify all the enemies in the game to be more challenging or else there'd be no point to defense, evade, healing, defense or evade buff techs, the items that simulate defense or evade buffs,, NPCs (do you really use them for more than shields and heals?), and I'm sure a myriad of other things.

This game would be FAR to easy mode- moreso than it already is- if you could just roll out of the way of attacks.

But I do agree, it'd be pretty cool to be able to.

Sinue_v2
Apr 12, 2009, 03:30 PM
Be that the case, then enemies should have PA's and Just Attack to counter balance.

PALRAPPYS
Apr 12, 2009, 03:40 PM
Be that the case, then enemies should have PA's and Just Attack to counter balance.

pl0x

Like enemies can kill us and take away all of our scape dolls anyways.

BIGGIEstyle
Apr 12, 2009, 06:21 PM

I wish they'd do this WITHOUT buffing the PCs any.

JC10001
Apr 12, 2009, 08:50 PM
I actually think this would be a good way to improve humans and newmans. They already have good EVP and this would build on that. I'd probably make a human if they could roll around. :)

Zorafim
Apr 12, 2009, 10:08 PM
A backflip button to cancel out of PAs will make the game so much more fun... Now I'm tempted to play PS0 just to see how well it works.

Gibdozer
Apr 13, 2009, 09:37 AM

Many cast enemies do have PAs (see Military Subway) , they are just limited to the first part of the combo(from what I've seen).

And to support whats already been said, who cares about balance quickdodge=more fun. Even before I noticed that the NPC casts had superior movement to mine, I was always thinking what this game needs is a quickdodge feature! Well it has one, just not for us, screw that I demand basic features equal to the out of control casts! I don't care if I have to hit 8 buttons at once, I want that move.

Sinue_v2
Apr 13, 2009, 11:57 AM
Some might recall me advocating this idea in earlier threads.

Personally, rather than a "Quick Dodge", I think a much better implementation would have been shields similar to the classic series. How to implement them in an action game, though? Well, I think first off they would be a off-hand defensive mechanism, meaning you could only use them with single-handed weapon. Sabers, Slicers, Wands, etc. Obviously, ATP would have to be better balanced to provide two-handed with incentive for use. You'd be sacrificing DFP for greater ATP.

Secondly, shields only provide defensive benefits when activated. If you're in the middle of a PA and get struck, it won't help you. When activated, your character slows their movement - so you can't just rush enemies with your shield raised. This helps pull the player into combat as they actively have raise the shield to block an attack, then lower it to close in and attack the enemy. You would also only be able to block attacks in a 140 some odd degree radius in front of your character. Attacks from the back or the flanks still have full effect. Strong enough attacks, even though blocked, can still knock a character down and leave them vulnerable.

Thirdly, make a distinction between Tech and Physical attack shields. Both provide some level of protection against the other, but there should be a definite advantage to using a tech shield to deflect Foie over a physical attack shield. Perhaps tech shields could be more like small bucklers, while physical attack shields would be larger.

Finally - Like weapons, shields would be element oriented with %'s, much like Line Shields currently are.

PACHI
Apr 13, 2009, 03:56 PM
we really dont need it. The game is already somewhat EASY...