PDA

View Full Version : TO join or NOT to join?

EndlessAxis
Apr 12, 2009, 08:39 PM
Hi, I just joined PSO-WORLD a few hours ago :-) was checking out the forum, anyways I wanted some opinions about PSU, I'm thinking of getting it for the PC to play online but I had some questions.. I currently have
PSO ( GC version ) PSU for the PS2 and also PSP for the PSP (lol)

I've always loved the series but i'm not sure what the online mode has to offer.. also from what I've understood I need to play the offline mode inorder to access things in the online or EXTRA mode, I pretty much just wanna mess around, customize my room and char .. anyways I wanted to know how online play differs from offline, also whats the max lvl in PSU and is leveling hard? I havn't played the ps2 version much since my sis took the ps2 to the army with her but I've been playing on the psp since like last week and i'm only lvl 70 ish so I was wondering at 100+ if it gets hard to lvl?

and umm are there many cheaters? and since you can use things like gameshark or w.e dosn't that kinda umm mess up the game or are there no things like this for it. and ummm... yeah .. I'm just not sure if i should play online..since it costs money and all that..

ShonagarACE
Apr 12, 2009, 08:46 PM
Hi, I just joined PSO-WORLD a few hours ago :-) was checking out the forum, anyways I wanted some opinions about PSU, I'm thinking of getting it for the PC to play online but I had some questions.. I currently have
PSO ( GC version ) PSU for the PS2 and also PSP for the PSP (lol)

I've always loved the series but i'm not sure what the online mode has to offer.. also from what I've understood I need to play the offline mode inorder to access things in the online or EXTRA mode, I pretty much just wanna mess around, customize my room and char .. anyways I wanted to know how online play differs from offline, also whats the max lvl in PSU and is leveling hard? I havn't played the ps2 version much since my sis took the ps2 to the army with her but I've been playing on the psp since like last week and i'm only lvl 70 ish so I was wondering at 100+ if it gets hard to lvl?

and umm are there many cheaters? and since you can use things like gameshark or w.e dosn't that kinda umm mess up the game or are there no things like this for it. and ummm... yeah .. I'm just not sure if i should play online..since it costs money and all that..

First off, Extra Mode is not the same as online. You don't need to play offline to do anything in online mode. The level cap online is 150, and there are a lot more missions and items than in offline mode. Leveling isn't hard, but if you're saying you got to level 70 in a week on PSP, it's harder than that. There is no Gameshark for PC, and there isn't much cheating at all.

EndlessAxis
Apr 12, 2009, 08:50 PM
First off, Extra Mode is not the same as online. You don't need to play offline to do anything in online mode. The level cap online is 150, and there are a lot more missions and items than in offline mode. Leveling isn't hard, but if you're saying you got to level 70 in a week on PSP, it's harder than that. There is no Gameshark for PC, and there isn't much cheating at all.

Thanks for the quick repsonce and for clearing up those things
and i'm happy theres not many cheaters.. I was wonderin thogh

how many servers are there and umm is the game highly populated and are there channels in each server

ShonagarACE
Apr 12, 2009, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the quick repsonce and for clearing up those things
and i'm happy theres not many cheaters.. I was wonderin thogh

how many servers are there and umm is the game highly populated and are there channels in each server

The PC server doesn't have a huge population, but you can always find people to play with if you want to. As for the other two questions, I'm not sure what you mean. PSU doesn't have separate servers such as other games like FFXI, everybody from the same platform plays together. Don't know what you mean by channels.

EndlessAxis
Apr 12, 2009, 09:07 PM
The PC server doesn't have a huge population, but you can always find people to play with if you want to. As for the other two questions, I'm not sure what you mean. PSU doesn't have separate servers such as other games like FFXI, everybody from the same platform plays together. Don't know what you mean by channels.

well in some online games you have umm in each server like 10-20 channels that you can loggon to. so for example Server : A but its divided into 20 channels... ( you can enter any of the channels but like usualy ch1 is used for trading ) stuff like that O_O meh i'm not good at explaining things...
anyways thanks for your help ^___^

but umm if you don't mind me asking ( since in ur sig it says your playing on the Pc version ) how much is "not a huge population" ?

ShonagarACE
Apr 12, 2009, 09:14 PM
well in some online games you have umm in each server like 10-20 channels that you can loggon to. so for example Server : A but its divided into 20 channels... ( you can enter any of the channels but like usualy ch1 is used for trading ) stuff like that O_O meh i'm not good at explaining things...
anyways thanks for your help ^___^

but umm if you don't mind me asking ( since in ur sig it says your playing on the Pc version ) how much is "not a huge population" ?

Oh, I see what you mean. On PSU, these are called "universes", there are 15. And you'd have to ask someone else for an exact number on the population, but it should be getting a bit bigger in the coming weeks.

EndlessAxis
Apr 12, 2009, 09:20 PM
Well, Thanks for all the help ^_^. i'll prolly join in around a month or so.. hopefully less ... all depends on how much work I got this month :P

gratefulgriz
Apr 12, 2009, 09:25 PM
The PC population is very small, usually only 2 out of 4 stars online, though this will dramatically change with the coming Shred the Darkness event. I suggest joining online because PSU has a very unique player base and when you make friends you will enjoy the game very much so. Its a unique game that has to be taken with a grain of salt. Its repetitive, which for many newcomers is a downer, but its a different style of playing that once adjusted to is very rewarding. In my opinion PSO-World, in all its glory, is not a proper place to judge the PSU community. The forums are useful for gathering information, bitching about sega and learning all sorts of neat things PS has to offer. I really hope you join and try the game out for as long as you enjoy it (and can afford it).
-LadyDatura

R3volver
Apr 12, 2009, 09:30 PM
Go play Phantasy Star Blue Burst on a very popular third party server if you haven't already. If you already have and still want PSU then you should play it on 360 or find something else. Protip: NEVER EVER BUY PORTABLE VERSIONS OF PHANTASY STAR JESUS CHRIST THEY SUCK!

ShonagarACE
Apr 12, 2009, 09:32 PM
Go play Phantasy Star Blue Burst on a very popular third party serve if you haven't already. If you already have and still want PSU then you should play it on 360 or find something else.

Disregard this advice.

Blue Burst sucks anyway.

EndlessAxis
Apr 12, 2009, 09:38 PM
hehe , i have to say blue burst was a letdown compared to ep 1&2 for the dreamcast and revolver Phantasy Star Portable is actualy a GREAT game.

anyways I'll be lurking around the forum ( been checking out the fashion thread for an hour now hehe )

R3volver
Apr 12, 2009, 09:42 PM
hehe , i have to say blue burst was a letdown compared to ep 1&2 for the dreamcast and revolver Phantasy Star Portable is actualy a GREAT game.

anyways I'll be lurking around the forum ( been checking out the fashion thread for an hour now hehe )

FINE GET IT YOU LOVE PSU. I HOPE YOU AND PSU ARE HAPPY TOGETHER YOU ALREADY GOT IT FOR PSP PS2 AND SOON PC. YEAH. ENJOY IT. I HOPE YOU WILL. CAUSE YOU WILL. CAUSE YOU LOVE PSU. PSU LOVER.

ShonagarACE
Apr 12, 2009, 09:51 PM
FINE GET IT YOU LOVE PSU. I HOPE YOU AND PSU ARE HAPPY TOGETHER YOU ALREADY GOT IT FOR PSP PS2 AND SOON PC. YEAH. ENJOY IT. I HOPE YOU WILL. CAUSE YOU WILL. CAUSE YOU LOVE PSU. PSU LOVER.

Dang, you're mature.

R3volver
Apr 12, 2009, 09:56 PM
Dang, you're mature.

Thanks. He's an offliner. I will never understand his tastes because I think it's weird to play grinding RPGs offline but I'm sure he'll love it since I don't 'cause we polar opposites and all.

ShonagarACE
Apr 12, 2009, 10:00 PM
Thanks. He's an offliner. I will never understand his tastes because I think it's weird to play grinding RPGs offline but I'm sure he'll love it since I don't 'cause we polar opposites and all.

Well since he's you, I'll just point out that PSU is the same game for PS2 and PC, so I doubt someone would buy both.

EndlessAxis
Apr 12, 2009, 10:48 PM

:-P thanks I will ..P.S .. I HOPE YOU ENJOY WHATEVER YOUR DOING!

Well since he's you, I'll just point out that PSU is the same game for PS2 and PC, so I doubt someone would buy both.

ummm ... my ps2 is chipped.. ... the game cost me like 50 cents or so... ( dvd disc )
and umm I don't have one real game for my PSP but like 400 games on my hardrive ... as for buying the game for the PC .. since its Pay to play I'd rather have a real copy just to not get in any kind of trouble.

ShonagarACE
Apr 12, 2009, 10:57 PM
ummm ... my ps2 is chipped.. ... the game cost me like 50 cents or so... ( dvd disc )
and umm I don't have one real game for my PSP but like 400 games on my hardrive ... as for buying the game for the PC .. since its Pay to play I'd rather have a real copy just to not get in any kind of trouble.

Most people who play online on PC probably downloaded the game illegally anyway. :-?

R3volver
Apr 12, 2009, 11:03 PM
I'm thinking about trying this version as well now. I only gave PSU demo a chance on 360 and since im currently free of playing any online rpgs I may try it for the hell of it. See what happens.

pinkace
Apr 12, 2009, 11:07 PM
Ok back on topic? lol

Endless, There is a part of the game online that sort of 'requires' that you play the offline mode, and that is the extra chapters. sega released a bunch of extra quests that follow the story, so for you to play those you need to play the whole offline mode... well, at least if you want to know what's going on. I dont play offline at all, so i cant explain exactly how much you really miss.

PSO Blue Burst for PC is the BEST PSO game. i cant believe anyone would disagree. They finally perfected and fixed every problem the series had starting with PSO v1 on DC. so its not a full fledged sequel... it was FREE. and now its even free to play! so chillax ;)

ShonagarACE
Apr 12, 2009, 11:16 PM
PSO Blue Burst for PC is the BEST PSO game. i cant believe anyone would disagree. They finally perfected and fixed every problem the series had starting with PSO v1 on DC. so its not a full fledged sequel... it was FREE. and now its even free to play! so chillax ;)

It fixed one or two things(but GC really fixed most of what was wrong with the DC versions) and introduced twice as many broken new things. Just because it isn't challenging in the least doesn't make it the best.

And I guess half my post should be on topic too. The offline story missions aren't necessary at all. And you can play 2/3 of the story missions online anyway.

Zyrusticae
Apr 13, 2009, 12:01 AM
The story missions are only good for getting PA frags - you can get around 300 if you do them all. The story itself is poorly written, despite having a decently logical chain of events. Or is it the characterization that's poor? Well, the two tend to go hand-in-hand, so whatever...

pinkace
Apr 13, 2009, 07:09 PM
It fixed one or two things(but GC really fixed most of what was wrong with the DC versions) and introduced twice as many broken new things. Just because it isn't challenging in the least doesn't make it the best.

And I guess half my post should be on topic too. The offline story missions aren't necessary at all. And you can play 2/3 of the story missions online anyway.

well, I guess if you only focused on EP4 then yes, that didn't 'fix' anything. But Blue Burst was the whole PSO package plus a few extras, and that's how it should be judged. drop rates were fixed (on GC they were still broken) balancing out forces and fighters was finally really done.

I guess the only class that really has a teeny tiny bit extra going for it is Ramarl, but even then it is barely enough to complain.

I stand by what I said. PSO BB is the best PSO of the bunch, a more complete package.

Lance813
Apr 14, 2009, 12:10 AM
Oh no, Blue burst is horribly broken... but on topic.

If you haven't played it online yet there is a metric ton of stuff to do. It should keep you occupied for a while, and if you're a masochist you'll keep playing it. I got my fun out of it.

Now i'm happy with playing GC PSO online. My advice, go for it.

Alecc
Apr 14, 2009, 01:17 AM
this is the perfect time to get online. Shred the darkness event begins this Friday 17th and runs for 5 weeks. Theres is exp boost on the event missions, which is great to get to a decent level very very fast :)

helix.hex
Apr 14, 2009, 03:56 AM
Disregard this advice.

Blue Burst sucks anyway.

hey! lets not say things like that! at least pso:bb dont cause blue screens of death every time you try to go start psu:aoi. i have to use a bypass just to play psu:aoi offline! and my computer meets all requirements to play psu. so what can you say about that? which is probably why there isnt alot of online pc players: they cant use a bypass to get online (i think this is the reason or they prefer something else to play.)

the only thing i hope they make is the other episodes of psu:aoi offline by making a expansion pack or something. (it gets very hateful finding things that are useless. and dont get me started on staffs and wands bit.)

ShonagarACE
Apr 14, 2009, 03:59 AM
Oh no, Blue burst is horribly broken... but on topic.

If you haven't played it online yet there is a metric ton of stuff to do. It should keep you occupied for a while, and if you're a masochist you'll keep playing it. I got my fun out of it.

Now i'm happy with playing GC PSO online. My advice, go for it.

Ohai thar.

pinkace
Apr 14, 2009, 10:29 AM
Oh no, Blue burst is horribly broken...

how is it BROKEN!? can you give us some factual examples?

Leadfoot
Apr 14, 2009, 10:54 AM
I would like to ask a question. Why do you use so many "ummm's" when typing? I am not trying to upset you in any way. I just found it a little odd. You can make statements and ask questions however you want, I just thought it was, well I dont even know how to explain it.