PDA

View Full Version : Bakugan...

rayner
Apr 15, 2009, 09:18 AM
I'm not sure any of you are familiar with this popular and growing game, my nieces and nephews are obsessed with it. It's made by SEGA toys and I have a bit of a rant about it. You see there are like 50 different Bakugan... each can be any of the 6 colors and I believe 3 different G-power ratings ( HP ) you won't know what g-power you have until you open it and scratch-off the sticker. That's not my complaint though... in each series there are "RARE" bakugan...

My problem is that SEGA made it that you can visually SEE if a Booster Pack has a "RARE" Bakugan... for example... in the Pearl Series there are "White" Versions of each character. Before you buy them you can check to see the one you are buying... there is a person in my area that basically goes around and searches through all the Bakugan and takes all the "RARE" or cool Bakugan.

I went into Toys R Us yesterday and the clerk had just opened a new case and put them on display and I wound up getting some I've never seen before... my nieces and nephews are going to be excited... but this person snatching up all the rare ones has to be stopped.

But my question is why make "RARE" Bakugan if you can visually SEE if they are rare? SEGA = Fail!!!

Darkly
Apr 15, 2009, 09:55 AM
lol sega.

Powder Keg
Apr 15, 2009, 10:12 AM
Bakugan is a disease. I actually work in a Toys R Us and when these stupid collectors come in and destroy their way through the crap and leave it all over the place I get annoyed, whether or not I have to clean it up. I love catching them doing it, I'm not afraid to tell them "You gonna clean up that mess you just made?"

Outrider
Apr 15, 2009, 10:12 AM
I'm pretty sure that happens all the time in toy collecting.

There are always certain toys that are one or two to a shipment, and collectors will try and grab them before anyone else.

Neith
Apr 15, 2009, 10:27 AM
I'm pretty sure that happens all the time in toy collecting.

There are always certain toys that are one or two to a shipment, and collectors will try and grab them before anyone else.

Yep. I know that some people went to extremes with it. When the Yu-Gi-Oh card craze started, some people wanted the rare cards so bad that they actually weighed booster packs with mini-scales (apparently the foil makes the rare cards slightly heavier than regular ones? :disapprove: ) so they got a higher chance of a pack with rare cards. It's pretty sad really, but you'll always have excessive collectors for this kind of thing.

rayner
Apr 15, 2009, 10:30 AM
Bakugan is a disease. I actually work in a Toys R Us and when these stupid collectors come in and destroy their way through the crap and leave it all over the place I get annoyed, whether or not I have to clean it up. I love catching them doing it, I'm not afraid to tell them "You gonna clean up that mess you just made?"

I work right next door to a Toys R Us and I can tell if someone had just searched through the display, but it goes beyond that... Target... Wallmart... they are all searched. I can also understand if something is a "limited edition" I've collected comics for 25+ years... this Bakugan is more randomized, and I don't think it's a collector, but an e-bay seller :-(

I mean I'm not going to pay $20 for a Bakugan... especially if the g-power is semi-randomized I think it's ( Low - Medium - High ) I got 2 Pearls & 2 Transparent yesterday... I'm looking for these "Chrome" Bakugan and the official website is no help :-(

Yep. I know that some people went to extremes with it. When the Yu-Gi-Oh card craze started, some people wanted the rare cards so bad that they actually weighed booster packs with mini-scales (apparently the foil makes the rare cards slightly heavier than regular ones? :disapprove: ) so they got a higher chance of a pack with rare cards. It's pretty sad really, but you'll always have excessive collectors for this kind of thing.

I have a funny story for you... I once bought a "box" of Pokemon cards for my Nieces & Nephews and I received 36 packs instead. So that's the first thing that went through my mind... they weighed the packs. Then I opened 35/36 Foil cards... they gave me their "cheated" pile... I made sure I mentioned that in their feedback... that I received a near perfect box of Pokemon Foils ;-)

Zarode
Apr 15, 2009, 02:41 PM
Does this game rely on the heart of the cards?

SpikeOtacon
Apr 15, 2009, 02:49 PM
I remember my sister had asked for some of these Bakugan things for her birthday. Thankfully she seems to have forgotten all about them by now.

Lance813
Apr 15, 2009, 02:57 PM
Sounds like another fad to me...

Inazuma
Apr 15, 2009, 04:30 PM
crazed collectors indeed but i can respect them for doing their best to seek out the ones w/ rare cards. sounds smart to me. maybe sega should rename their card game to byakugan. (naruto fans will get the reference.)

Kylie
Apr 15, 2009, 05:35 PM
Oh Jesus. :lol: You just reminded me of the whole TY Beanie Babies craze. My entire family was infected.

Alnet
Apr 15, 2009, 05:51 PM
Forgive me if I've never even heard of this "Bakugan" thing before now.

I'll be moving my stuff out from under this here rock now~

Lance813
Apr 15, 2009, 07:33 PM
I'm fine under my rock thank you. :wacko:

Sol_B4dguy
Apr 15, 2009, 08:00 PM
The stores in my area can never seem to keep Bakugan stocked. What is this, another Pokemanz/Digimanz craze?

Powder Keg
Apr 15, 2009, 10:32 PM
The stores in my area can never seem to keep Bakugan stocked. What is this, another Pokemanz/Digimanz craze?

Yep, another disease that parents spend hundreds of dollars on.

I remember a few years ago I literally saw a mother buy $130 worth of 3.99 Yu-Gi-Oh booster packs. $130!!!!

Firocket1690
Apr 15, 2009, 10:34 PM
Nope. Launch (roll) little balls that turn into creatures. And of course, the creatures have stats, hit points, attacks, etc. And the only logical thing to do with little monsters? BATTLE!

Edit: I saw the commercial for these little things. I'll admit, I'm impressed they managed to make one throw a mini dice after it landed.

Vanzazikon
Apr 15, 2009, 10:58 PM
Now I know how my parents felt when I went crazy for Pokemon cards. :wacko:

Kent
Apr 15, 2009, 11:14 PM
And here I thought Bakugan was just some stupid show that happens to be on Cartoon Network when I get up in the mornings. I realize that there's a toy component to it, but uh... It's popular or something? :/

Solstis
Apr 15, 2009, 11:31 PM
And here I thought Bakugan was just some stupid show that happens to be on Cartoon Network when I get up in the mornings. I realize that there's a toy component to it, but uh... It's popular or something? :/

I was wondering why there'd be a collectible card show without purchasable cards, and, well, I guess there are.

I was also wondering why or how my parents let me get away with my Magic: The Gathering obsession. At least I didn't eBay specific cards.

rayner
Apr 16, 2009, 06:09 AM
Yep, another disease that parents spend hundreds of dollars on.

I remember a few years ago I literally saw a mother buy $130 worth of 3.99 Yu-Gi-Oh booster packs. $130!!!!

That my friend is a stupid parent... they could have gotten a whole box for less on ebay. Unfortunately these little buggers you can't buy in bulk like that, and they are way too random to do so as well. See what I would normally do is just buy a box for the whole year and give them as presents... I have alot of nieces and nephews.

Outrider
Apr 16, 2009, 09:52 AM
My aunt was telling me how quickly Bakugan sells out, but every time I'm in Target, I see the entire shelf is well-stocked. Is this store the only anomaly?

(Also, I love when people talk about Pokemon as a fad - Guys, fads generally don't stay incredibly successful for 10+ years. The reason you think they're not popular anymore is because you're not 10 anymore and not everyone in your school is obsessed with it anymore.)

rayner
Apr 16, 2009, 10:33 AM
My aunt was telling me how quickly Bakugan sells out, but every time I'm in Target, I see the entire shelf is well-stocked. Is this store the only anomaly?

(Also, I love when people talk about Pokemon as a fad - Guys, fads generally don't stay incredibly successful for 10+ years. The reason you think they're not popular anymore is because you're not 10 anymore and not everyone in your school is obsessed with it anymore.)

Target seesm to have an endless supply, better than Toys R Us, and slightly cheaper. They said back in 83' / 84' that video-games were a fad ;-)

AC9breaker
Apr 18, 2009, 10:18 PM
IN AMERICA....

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/yugioh/images/thumb/4/49/Bandit_Keith.PNG/230px-Bandit_Keith.PNG