PDA

View Full Version : How does ARMOR work

gratefulgriz
Apr 28, 2009, 09:57 PM
I had a quick question about armor. I searched the threads and didn't find anything so I am sorry if this has been answered before. So it is my understanding that if you are fighting a fire monster you would want to equip ice weapons to counter the fire. Someone told me tonight that my ice armor was going to be harmful and that I should be wearing FIRE armor to fight FIRE monsters, why does that sound weird to me??
-Confused PS fan ?oO?

Ethateral
Apr 28, 2009, 10:00 PM
When fighting a fire creature, yes, use the opposing element ice to do greater damage. However, you want to wear the same element of whatever it is you're fighting, to minimize damage that you receive from fire based attacks, lets say.

Fire <-> Ice
Ground <-> Lightning
Dark <-> Light

The higher the percent on a weapon (Striking) the higher the damage to the opposing. Unless of course there is a resistance.
The higher the percent on an armor, the less amount of damage you'll take.
When using bullets and spells, the same applies; use the opposing element.

Hope this helped. <3

Volcompat321
Apr 28, 2009, 10:01 PM
I had a quick question about armor. I searched the threads and didn't find anything so I am sorry if this has been answered before. So it is my understanding that if you are fighting a fire monster you would want to equip ice weapons to counter the fire. Someone told me tonight that my ice armor was going to be harmful and that I should be wearing FIRE armor to fight FIRE monsters, why does that sound weird to me??
-Confused PS fan ?oO?

when fighting a fire monster, you want to equip fire armor, and ice weps.
goes for fighting anything of that concept.

WHlTEKNIGHT
Apr 29, 2009, 02:48 AM
The % of the armour is far more important than the other stats too.

Volcompat321
Apr 29, 2009, 02:56 AM
wouldnt say FAR more, but it helps a bunch. 20%+ armor is good enough.

Arada
Apr 29, 2009, 03:07 AM
The % of the armour is far more important than the other stats too.

It's actually more of a combination.

Since stats for DFP are quite low with low modifiers, I guess a good percentage wouldn't do much by itself.
But straight stats won't be efficient if the percentage is low.

So get decent stat with a decent percentage (obviously, the higher percentage, the better).

A YielLine, for instance will do very well even with a percentage in the 20s thanks to its raw stats.

Turb0
Apr 29, 2009, 04:08 AM
If you think about it, wearing fire armor is essentially like making your character fire-element to the creatures, so fire creatures would do the least damage to you and ice creatures would do the most. (So wear the same element as the creatures you're up against)

pinkace
Apr 29, 2009, 09:36 AM
Keep in mind that regardless of the def. of an armor, having good attributes will protect against technic attacks much better than a high def. value would.

DUN
Apr 29, 2009, 09:51 AM
whats the point of neutral armor

Zyrusticae
Apr 29, 2009, 10:38 AM
Neutral armor is only for those too lazy to switch armors during the course of a mission.

Ethateral
Apr 29, 2009, 10:41 AM
Neutral armor is only for those too lazy to switch armors during the course of a mission.

Or, can't afford a nice % rainbow of armors. ;o

DUN
Apr 29, 2009, 10:50 AM
i like color armor my friend is always like look at my neutal yeil line im like idc its trash he gets mad lol

Darius_Drake
Apr 29, 2009, 11:05 AM
i like color armor my friend is always like look at my neutal yeil line im like idc its trash he gets mad lol

LOL. Why does he even try to brag about it to you. He should know that you are going to call it trash.

ShonagarACE
Apr 29, 2009, 11:19 AM
Or, can't afford a nice % rainbow of armors. ;o

Even switching between 10% armors is better than neutral though.

Ethateral
Apr 29, 2009, 11:35 AM
Even switching between 10% armors is better than neutral though.

That may be, but maybe someone can't even afford %s. I've seen a few or they just want to be lazy and get neutral. However, right now is no excuse to NOT have a rainbow of armors. Green Green Line is a nice armor, to use till you can upgrade? =) Or, wait till the GBR during the event next week and get it a lot easier.

WHlTEKNIGHT
Apr 29, 2009, 12:03 PM
It's actually more of a combination.

Since stats for DFP are quite low with low modifiers, I guess a good percentage wouldn't do much by itself.
But straight stats won't be efficient if the percentage is low.

So get decent stat with a decent percentage (obviously, the higher percentage, the better).

A YielLine, for instance will do very well even with a percentage in the 20s thanks to its raw stats.Dfp means nothing in this game.

Ethateral
Apr 29, 2009, 12:10 PM
DFP has hardly done any justice in this game. Just get a nice elemental percentage and you're set.

Zorafim
Apr 29, 2009, 01:38 PM
Elemental armor has to be the most monotonous thing in the game. See a fire enemy? Go into your menu, navigate to your armor, switch armors, then rush in. By that time, the fighmasters would have already jabroga'd the mobs to death and have already moved on.

Equipment managing is one thing, but having constantly change during the course a map... it really takes away from the combat appeal of the game.

beatrixkiddo
Apr 29, 2009, 01:51 PM
Or you could just learn the spawns...

goldbrease
Apr 29, 2009, 02:41 PM
neutral armor also comes in handy when your doing missions were you fighting opposing element mobs at the same time.
you know those missions were you fight ice and fire mobs or lightning and earth at the same time?

Shou
Apr 29, 2009, 02:49 PM
Elemental armor has to be the most monotonous thing in the game. See a fire enemy? Go into your menu, navigate to your armor, switch armors, then rush in. By that time, the fighmasters would have already jabroga'd the mobs to death and have already moved on.

Equipment managing is one thing, but having constantly change during the course a map... it really takes away from the combat appeal of the game.
After the supplemental update you can change armors w/o going into the menue.
Type:
/f tp change to a fire armor *it keeps all the units you already have equiped.
/i ice
/d dark ect.

Powder Keg
There are a few games out there where equipping the opposite element armor works better, such as Ogre Battle....but I honestly can't think of any others at the moment that are like that. ^^;

Shou

Type:
/f to change to a fire armor *it keeps all the units you already have equiped.
/i ice
/d dark ect.

beatrixkiddo
Apr 29, 2009, 02:59 PM
Not to nitpick, but it's

/sl fire
/sl dark

and so on. Not sure if they'll change it to /ls (line shield) for US. JP calls them Shieldlines.

neutral armor also comes in handy when your doing missions were you fighting opposing element mobs at the same time.
you know those missions were you fight ice and fire mobs or lightning and earth at the same time?

Why waste an armor synth on a neutral armor, when you could just use one of your other elements? Not to mention missions like that are rather uncommon, usually only in events do you see (strong) opposed enemies in the same room.

Volcompat321
Apr 29, 2009, 03:06 PM
i used to use a neutral serafi senba...i synthed my first one neutral actually. but then when my TECHER was getting hit by the grants thing from White beast for 700 at level 100, i learned to switch to light armor...now my techer on S doesnt get hit by any of the white balls, and on S2 only hits me for 150-250 depending on buffs of creatures.

Cooljames2186
Apr 29, 2009, 04:09 PM
Also its good to carry more than one armor at a time...don't know if this was previously mentioned since im posting from pg.1...but it's always good to have an armor for every element above twenty...I only see 50% every so often...I made a B rank last night 50% Light...just thought I would waste some of the Gra-photons...lol...wish I could get that percentage on some higher Rank...but this should sell really well post-event...

tadtwisted
Apr 29, 2009, 04:14 PM
I happen to like netural armor (and yes i am lazy) so i dont have to switch all the time, and if your so worried about %'s just get a cati-rainbow and now you got a 20% armor all the time

beatrixkiddo
Apr 29, 2009, 04:15 PM
I happen to like netural armor (and yes i am lazy) so i dont have to switch all the time, and if your so worried about %'s just get a cati-rainbow and now you got a 20% armor all the time

No, you have a 0% armor and a wasted body slot.

Dymalos
Apr 29, 2009, 04:17 PM

My understanding was that Rainbow units only modify the existing elemental %'s of whatever armor you have on at the time. Meaning that it'd be completely useless on neutral armor, is this not the case?

tadtwisted
Apr 29, 2009, 04:21 PM
lets face it this game is so easy that all armor does is hold units which are useful, if you still keep dying its not your armor, you just suck

Cooljames2186
Apr 29, 2009, 04:28 PM
Testy testy...Dude...armor is very important to most races/classes...some class lack in DFP horrible...and the elemental boost....save life even if its by a few hundreds or so...Im a techer and believe me its all about strategy, but that doesn't mean that elemental armor isn't necessary...because lets face it...who can do anything about being pushed into a corner on a single mission by a monster casting lvl 30 foie at you 3 times...i.e. Magashi Plan A...lol...and lets not discuss the Dilnazens...lol

WHlTEKNIGHT
Apr 29, 2009, 04:31 PM
Congrats you now have a 20% neutral armour.

Gunslinger-08
Apr 29, 2009, 04:43 PM
Congrats you now have a 20% neutral armour.

I've debated this topic with some friends before. Does that "20%" actually do anything if the armor is neutral? I figure it doesn't, but I've not really concerned myself with actually testing it out.

Inazuma
Apr 29, 2009, 06:01 PM
Type:
/f to change to a fire armor *it keeps all the units you already have equiped.
/i ice
/d dark ect.

The new armor shortcuts are very helpful. You can instantly change armors with the push of a single keyboard button. Besides being much faster than navigating the menus, you can change armor anytime you can talk. In other words, boss entrance/death cutscenes, while frozen/stunned, even while attacking.

And since they work like chat shortcuts, you can also add some text if you'd like.

Gaozoran about to cast gibarta on you? No problem because you change to ice armor just before it hits. Oh, you got frozen, and another gaozoran is about to hit you with foie. That's ok because you change to fire armor while frozen. Pretty handy once you learn it.

ShonagarACE
Apr 29, 2009, 08:10 PM
I've debated this topic with some friends before. Does that "20%" actually do anything if the armor is neutral? I figure it doesn't, but I've not really concerned myself with actually testing it out.

I doubt it, but it would be interesting if it did something against neutral enemies. Probably doesn't and it certainly doesn't help anywhere else.

And pulling out the "this game is easy" bit after someone points out a silly decision is also silly.

Warlock01
Apr 29, 2009, 08:52 PM
The new armor shortcuts are very helpful. You can instantly change armors with the push of a single keyboard button. Besides being much faster than navigating the menus, you can change armor anytime you can talk. In other words, boss entrance/death cutscenes, while frozen/stunned, even while attacking.

And since they work like chat shortcuts, you can also add some text if you'd like.

Gaozoran about to cast gibarta on you? No problem because you change to ice armor just before it hits. Oh, you got frozen, and another gaozoran is about to hit you with foie. That's ok because you change to fire armor while frozen. Pretty handy once you learn it.

i assume this will work on360 keyboards and not just on the pc server?

praying to god here....

kejen
Apr 29, 2009, 10:09 PM
DFP isn't totally worthless. But far less important than %.

I used to wear 0% when I started this game. Then one day bought a 42% storm line, and wore a lessless / rainbow and fell in love with armor %. It does make a huge difference.

And I don't switch elements 10 times a mission. Usually pick the strongest element, at least for that block. Sometimes I switch during the block, it depends.

But when I see a 0% armor wearer, usually think newbie or cheapskate. 0% armor is garbage in my opinion.

Volcompat321
Apr 29, 2009, 11:21 PM
for me, i carry my main armor, serafi senba usually, and normally, there is only 1 major type of element each mission, so i carry the one that hurts the most, and always bring my neutral one, just in case i get a pf or something, no need for a room run. Also, i dont think "newbie" or cheapskate describes someone that wears/equips :neutral: armor, or weps..thats just insulting and ignorant. Believe it or not, some people are poor all the time...sometimes its hard for people to make meseta...they dont get lucky with drops i guess. Anyway back on topic, ill repost what i said before, cuase really % helps, along with dfp, evp, and STA.

i used to use a neutral serafi senba...i synthed my first one neutral actually. but then when my TECHER was getting hit by the grants thing from White beast for 700 at level 100, i learned to switch to light armor...now my techer on S doesnt get hit by any of the white balls, and on S2 only hits me for 150-250 depending on buffs of creatures.

ShonagarACE
Apr 29, 2009, 11:29 PM
for me, i carry my main armor, serafi senba usually, and normally, there is only 1 major type of element each mission, so i carry the one that hurts the most, and always bring my neutral one, just in case i get a pf or something, no need for a room run. Also, i dont think "newbie" or cheapskate describes someone that wears/equips :neutral: armor, or weps..thats just insulting and ignorant. Believe it or not, some people are poor all the time...sometimes its hard for people to make meseta...they dont get lucky with drops i guess. Anyway back on topic, ill repost what i said before, cuase really % helps, along with dfp, evp, and STA.

But if you think about the meseta difference between 0% and a 10% weapon or armor... I can see using neutral stuff sometimes, just not exclusively.

Volcompat321
Apr 29, 2009, 11:44 PM
well, some people prefer it that way, and somewhat makes the game a little bit more challenging, since people always complain about PSU being too easy. So in a sense, getting hit for 700 rather 150-300ish is a challenge...you run out of healing items, or learn to dodge more.

ShonagarACE
Apr 30, 2009, 01:31 AM
well, some people prefer it that way, and somewhat makes the game a little bit more challenging, since people always complain about PSU being too easy. So in a sense, getting hit for 700 rather 150-300ish is a challenge...you run out of healing items, or learn to dodge more.

Or just die a lot. :-P

Wolfette
Apr 30, 2009, 01:51 AM

I don't remember being able to change armor while being stunned / slept / frozen.
YOu can talk ofc, but not change your stuff as far as i remember.
I would rather say, you could change armor with macro as long as you would be able to do a gestual (like wave) (without conidering your handling your weap atm)

beatrixkiddo
Apr 30, 2009, 02:12 AM
You don't remember it because you can't do that without these shortcuts. Inazuma isn't lying.

gratefulgriz
Apr 30, 2009, 10:40 PM
thank you all for your input, this was an interesting thread to read over! Everyone have a great PS time!

Volcompat321
Apr 30, 2009, 10:59 PM
Or just die a lot. :-P

yea, you could do that too...but why would anyone?! lol.
dying isnt a challenge, so i would hope people learn to dodge everything, or at least limit themselves IF they want something harder.

ErtaiClou
May 1, 2009, 01:04 AM
How do you attribute an enemies attack anyway? For example, does a dilnezan wind blade attack count as dark or just his punches. Same with a svaltus sword through. Can they be any type or is it just techs that change like a Jarba's megid or gibarta?

Dymalos
May 1, 2009, 02:40 AM
I've been told that it depends on whether or not you can block/evade the attack. If it's blockable then you can ascribe the attack the same element as the monster, but if there is absolutely no way to block it then it is a considered a Technic attack of the same element that you'd assoicate with the Technic irregardless of the monster's element. So a Dilnazen's Wind Blade Attack would be Dark typed, a Svaltus' sword is a light attack. But the Svaltus' Foie is definitely fire, a Jarba's Megid is dark and his Dambarta is Ice.

Alnet
May 1, 2009, 09:11 AM
How do you attribute an enemies attack anyway? For example, does a dilnezan wind blade attack count as dark or just his punches. Same with a svaltus sword through. Can they be any type or is it just techs that change like a Jarba's megid or gibarta?
Think of it like an enemy Photon Art. Since the Dilnazen is Dark and attacks with a Dark normal attack, then when it uses its wind blade (I'd always called it "Dilnazen Spark" :wacko: ), the only difference is the power and range. Same applies to Svaltus' wave slash.

Something like Megid and Dambarta is obviously a TECHNIC, since we're all able to use those. So those all carry their own unique elements. On that same note, Vanda/Vanda Merha/Vanda Orga's fire breath is dependent on the element of the Vanda itself, but it's especially dangerous with Vanda Orga since their close-range fire breath is Ground element, but their throwing Foie is Fire element.

pinkace
May 1, 2009, 10:54 AM
Think of it like an enemy Photon Art. Since the Dilnazen is Dark and attacks with a Dark normal attack, then when it uses its wind blade (I'd always called it "Dilnazen Spark" :wacko: ), the only difference is the power and range. Same applies to Svaltus' wave slash.

Something like Megid and Dambarta is obviously a TECHNIC, since we're all able to use those. So those all carry their own unique elements. On that same note, Vanda/Vanda Merha/Vanda Orga's fire breath is dependent on the element of the Vanda itself, but it's especially dangerous with Vanda Orga since their close-range fire breath is Ground element, but their throwing Foie is Fire element.

Are you sure about this? Where did you read this? I ask because it makes no sense to me; when a vanda sets you ablaze, you get fire damage, even though it is a ground enemy. I don't mean when it uses damfoie, I mean when you get hit and catch on fire.

Inazuma
May 1, 2009, 11:37 AM
Are you sure about this? Where did you read this? I ask because it makes no sense to me; when a vanda sets you ablaze, you get fire damage, even though it is a ground enemy. I don't mean when it uses damfoie, I mean when you get hit and catch on fire.

Burn damage is a fixed amount based on your total HP. It doesn't matter what element it is, or what armor you have, it will do the same damage.

pinkace
May 1, 2009, 12:09 PM
Gotcha

Powder Keg
May 1, 2009, 01:04 PM
Things you can dodge are the element of the enemy IIRC, such as Vanda's fire breath. But things that count as actual techs (Megid, Barta, Foie, etc) are considered the element of the technique.