PDA

View Full Version : Impulse Buying (And the people it hurts)

Outrider
May 7, 2009, 10:49 AM
I was caught up in my nostalgia over how much I enjoyed Brave Fencer Musashi on the Playstation, and wound up buying the pseudo-sequel (Samurai Legend Musashi) off of Half.com for about 10 bucks shipped.

I played for about an hour last night, and I'm not loving it.

It's kind of a crappy action game (then again, the gameplay wasn't so hot in the original either), but the worst part is that it's lost all its charm. It takes itself way too seriously, with Musashi no longer a bumbling brat and the supporting cast no longer as goofy (or filled with puns). The quaint little village in which you could visit each person you rescued has been replaced with a boring magical-futuristic building (though I am a fan of the flying whale the bulding is built on.) The character design is pretty awful too - Musashi is wearing some sort of vest that leaves him with a bare midriff.

Basically, it's all a little too Tetsuya Nomura.

But at least when you're carrying injured villagers around, you can use them as weapons. That's pretty hilarious.

In summary, my review of this game is: Orange

Shadowpawn
May 7, 2009, 11:46 AM
The sequel did suck massive monkey ball dipped in fecal matter with just a hint of urine. I couldn't bring myself to finish it.

Weeaboolits
May 7, 2009, 12:22 PM
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w8/Ronin_Cooper/nights_wii_box.jpg

NEVER FORGET

Sayara
May 7, 2009, 12:41 PM
whats this?
I SEEM TO OF FORGOT

Outrider
May 7, 2009, 12:42 PM
You're right - I clearly don't learn from my mistakes. (http://pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161034)

I haven't touched NiGHTS since I made that post. It's not the $10 bucks I feel bad about losing - it's not like I can't afford it - it's just the guilt that I bought another game and there's no way I'm going to finish it or even play the majority of it.

I will say that in my first hour of Musashi, it's definitely far more playable than NiGHTS. Nothing seems to be broken. I'll probably put in at least a few more hours and see if I get caught, but I also just started Okami and would rather get back into that (even if the Wii version screams "Slapped-together port").

Alnet
May 7, 2009, 01:23 PM
Oh, I know the pain of impulse buying~ Just this morning, I got Paypal and eBay accounts. Do you know why?

Because I saw an inkpen I wanted.

A F*CKING INKPEN. THE SHIPPING COST MORE THAN THE ITEM ITSELF.

AND THEN I GOT THE OPTIONAL INSURANCE. But that's because if I'm going out of my way to be outrageous, I should at least get what I paid for.

Well, I did get a couple out-of-print books also, but...

Shadowpawn
May 7, 2009, 07:10 PM
It must have been one badass pen of ink.

TalHex
May 7, 2009, 08:59 PM
I also just started Okami and would rather get back into that (even if the Wii version screams "Slapped-together port").

that's because that's exactly what it is :disapprove: they even cut the very very post credits ending that was in the ps2 game. Granted it wasn't much, but it's still something you got jipped out of.

Outrider
May 8, 2009, 09:15 AM
Okay, I put another hour or so into Musashi and I'm done with it.

You move like a one-treaded tank, the game plays like it's an action game (but the leveling system causes you to be far too weak when you first start - which only makes it more frustrating when enemies respawn every thirty seconds or so), and there are these awful minigames all over the place.

I was in the second stage, some kind of mine, and having fought with the game throughout the entire level, I finally got to the end and saved the magical maiden I was looking for. I'm making my way out, when a boss appears. Fine, that's expected, but I've got no health. The issue is that the gameplay feels like a hard-for-the-heck-of-it action game (like Ninja Gaiden or Devil May Cry, though admittedly not on that level), in which you have to rely on your reflexes to get through mobs of enemies. That would be fine, except the leveling system is set so low that it takes far too long to kill even one enemy, much less 6 or 7, without losing most of your health.

And even though it's an RPG, there are no save points in the dungeons. I think that was the case in the original Musashi as well, but that game didn't have the same design issues. It wasn't trying to be a balls-out action game.

So anyway, I'm pretty much giving up on it. Maybe sometime in the future I'll come back to it and suddenly love it, but I highly doubt that.

Moo2u
May 8, 2009, 12:06 PM
Damn it Ronin!! I did forget that, until you brought it up...dag nab it.

HolioArtillery
May 8, 2009, 01:47 PM
Stuff

You need more hardcore japanese spirit, clearly.

Volcompat321
May 8, 2009, 02:00 PM
I once bought a dog out of impulse. I now have 5 dogs, and love em all, but they get annoying. (I only bought one, my moms bought the rest)
We have my dog, pitt bull and rott weiller mix, and her dogs, 2 jack russles, and 2 mini pincers....the 4 she has are all small, annoying, and retarded, cept one jack russle, but he's a cat killer.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
May 8, 2009, 02:34 PM
I feel for ya about that Samurai Legend Musashi there Outrider. I only played 30 minutes of it before bringing it back to the store. Absolutely horrible. I still want my 30 minutes of my life back.

Volcompat321
May 8, 2009, 02:38 PM
I played a wrestling game at my friends house for about 1 hour....I also asked my friend to refund my 1 hour of life. Apparently, he couldn't do it :( so I lost 1 hour of "entertainment" time.

TalHex
May 8, 2009, 02:43 PM
the graphics card in my computer... it doesn't work worth shit, and I can't take it back because I opened the box... that was almost 2 years ago now...

Volcompat321
May 8, 2009, 02:45 PM
:( was it at least decent-good when you bought it?

TalHex
May 8, 2009, 02:48 PM
no... it sucked even then >.>

Volcompat321
May 8, 2009, 02:49 PM
ouch....time to upgrade again? If you haven't already...

TalHex
May 8, 2009, 02:52 PM
I'm getting a new computer soon anyways, I don't care about my old computer enough at this point to bother upgrading it again

Volcompat321
May 8, 2009, 02:54 PM
ah, thats good then. I don't know too much about computers, but I think I have a decent one. It's a laptop, and runs the things I have it do. So it's ok with me.

TalHex
May 8, 2009, 02:57 PM
Aye, I'm getting a Macbook Pro (hopefully) for college next year. Considering the major I'm considering (graphic design and 3d animation) it will be very useful to have a good laptop.

Outrider
May 8, 2009, 02:58 PM
You need more hardcore japanese spirit, clearly.

Yeah, pretty much.

Or I need to stop looking at my paychecks and going, "Now how can I get rid of this?"

I once bought a dog out of impulse. I now have 5 dogs, and love em all, but they get annoying. (I only bought one, my moms bought the rest)
We have my dog, pitt bull and rott weiller mix, and her dogs, 2 jack russles, and 2 mini pincers....the 4 she has are all small, annoying, and retarded, cept one jack russle, but he's a cat killer.

http://alessonislearned.com/cmx/lesson029.gif

Volcompat321
May 8, 2009, 03:04 PM
So true, and Mac book Pro is a great pc for what you will be using it for. A friend of mine went to a school called Full Sail, and apparently they make you buy that pc...(comes with the tuition) and he loves it.