PDA

View Full Version : Superiority Complexes in Internet Trolls

Zyrusticae
May 7, 2009, 07:32 PM
Urgh. I'm just... ugh. What the hell?

I'm getting completely, utterly sick of the internet being completely ridden with vitriol-spewing assholes who believe it is their responsibility to belittle others for doing what they enjoy doing. Especially the trolls that like to be assholes on the internet just to remind people that the internet is "Serious Business", just to discourage their activities because they believe it is somehow beneath them even though they themselves are using the internet to waste their time provoking and poking fun at these people for no fucking good reason!

And besides the trolls that intentionally try to get a rise out of people, there's the intolerant assholes who absolutely DEMAND you confirm to their standards or they'll just keep on irritating the hell out of you, which you can't do anything about unless you're fortunate enough to be communicating in a medium that has an ignore function (good luck with that - I swear these guys multiply by the hour).

So let's just get one thing straight. If you're trolling, you're not doing anyone any favors. You're just an asshole. Please do everyone a favor and admit it. You are not making the internet any better by encouraging everyone else to treat the internet as a giant community cesspool. If anything, you're the blight on society who needs excessive, discriminatory purging, A.S.A.P..

...Also, Grammar Nazis ftw. HEIL SPELLING!

SStrikerR
May 7, 2009, 07:49 PM
Wait till the trolls see this topic. This is when the fun begins.

beatrixkiddo
May 7, 2009, 07:50 PM
Urgh. I'm just... ugh. What the hell?

I'm getting completely, utterly sick of the internet being completely ridden with vitriol-spewing assholes who believe it is their responsibility to belittle others for doing what they enjoy doing. Especially the trolls that like to be assholes on the internet just to remind people that the internet is "Serious Business", just to discourage their activities because they believe it is somehow beneath them even though they themselves are using the internet to waste their time provoking and poking fun at these people for no fucking good reason!

And besides the trolls that intentionally try to get a rise out of people, there's the intolerant assholes who absolutely DEMAND you confirm to their standards or they'll just keep on irritating the hell out of you, which you can't do anything about unless you're fortunate enough to be communicating in a medium that has an ignore function (good luck with that - I swear these guys multiply by the hour).

So let's just get one thing straight. If you're trolling, you're not doing anyone any favors. You're just an asshole. Please do everyone a favor and admit it. You are not making the internet any better by encouraging everyone else to treat the internet as a giant community cesspool. If anything, you're the blight on society who needs excessive, discriminatory purging, A.S.A.P..

...Also, Grammar Nazis ftw. HEIL SPELLING!

But spelling isn't part of grammar! :o

Zyrusticae
May 7, 2009, 08:12 PM

There's a very simple and fun solution to this problem:

Don't rise to the bait. :p

But spelling isn't part of grammar! :o
Well, maybe not. But he's a very good relative, so I hear...

Nitro Vordex
May 7, 2009, 08:31 PM
Nah, too easy.

Maybe you should just, ignore them? Don't FALL for a troll, and your life will be better.

If you fall for a troll, you're at just as much fault as the troll. He pushed you, you pushed back, you're the one caught.

AKA Sorry bro.

Chuck_Norris
May 7, 2009, 09:28 PM
MY MOMS DED U JERK :(:(:(:(:(

Nitro Vordex
May 7, 2009, 09:34 PM
http://sloblogs.thetribunenews.com/shelikestowatch/files/2008/07/batman-panel.JPG
DEEEAAAAAAAD.

CelestialBlade
May 7, 2009, 09:50 PM
Trolls want attention. The best defense against them is ignorance. It's like depriving them of oxygen.

Powder Keg
May 7, 2009, 10:20 PM
Ir's all an act. Some who do it are annoying (if they're not funny) but some people ask for it.

Rasputin
May 7, 2009, 11:44 PM
I think OP got trolled... BIG TIME.

HolioArtillery
May 7, 2009, 11:46 PM

That's the fucking point of trolling, it couldn't be any straighter. What idiot is denying that? It's not some stupid infeority complex, it's a form of entertainment in harrasing others. Not much different than laughing at comedy shows where people get seriously injured when they obviously don't want to (America's Funniest Home Videos and all it's knock-offs.) The only diffrence is the troll is giving the swift kick to the balls of the guy where and laughing where as everyone is just watching and laughing.

Also, as a grammar nazi, you're really not much better at all. Parading around as some stuck up moron who think's writing on the damn internet is actually going to mean anything. Sure, on a resume or a portfolio, of course that's going to have an effect. But a goddamn messenging forum or IM service? Fuck no, there's no reason to give a damn about such petty things.

Zyrusticae
May 8, 2009, 12:02 AM
Two paragraphs of BS.

Why, thank you, sir, for stating the obvious. But I can't help but laugh at how seriously you took my "Grammar Nazi" comment, and how you failed to grasp the irony. For the record, I threw it in there for shits 'n' giggles at the last second.

Actually, I think I understand where they're coming from now. It is amusing when someone overreacts in such an over-the-top manner. As they say, "Internet. SERIOUS BUSINESS."

(I'm still going to be grammar nazi-ing around, however. You can't tell me a single downside to a world with semi-proper spelling and grammar. Actually, I take that back. It makes it more difficult to sort the wheat from the chaffe...)

Edit: As for "What idiot is denying that?", I point you to this entertaining and greatly informative article: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/03/magazine/03trolls-t.html?_r=1

HolioArtillery
May 8, 2009, 12:21 AM
Why, thank you, sir, for stating the obvious. But I can't help but laugh at how seriously you took my "Grammar Nazi" comment, and how you failed to grasp the irony. For the record, I threw it in there for shits 'n' giggles at the last second.

Actually, I think I understand where they're coming from now. It is amusing when someone overreacts in such an over-the-top manner. As they say, "Internet. SERIOUS BUSINESS."

(I'm still going to be grammar nazi-ing around, however. You can't tell me a single downside to a world with semi-proper spelling and grammar. Actually, I take that back. It makes it more difficult to sort the wheat from the chaffe...)

Edit: As for "What idiot is denying that?", I point you to this entertaining and greatly informative article: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/03/magazine/03trolls-t.html?_r=1

Congrats on just getting trolled buddy.

Nitro Vordex
May 8, 2009, 12:37 AM
That guy wrote seven pages on trolling?

Seriously?

Also:

The willingness of trolling “victims” to be hurt by words, he argued, makes them complicit, and trolling will end as soon as we all get over it.

get over it.Basically this. Believe it or not, trolling can be productive. It may expose weakness, but it also makes that person realize their weakness and get over it. Unless it's epilepsy.

Something makes me think you didn't even read the article.

Mizari
May 8, 2009, 12:54 AM
Edit: As for "What idiot is denying that?", I point you to this entertaining and greatly informative article: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/03/magazine/03trolls-t.html?_r=1That's a good article. Kind of scary, too. There have always been (and always will be) people whose only method of placating their own feelings of inadequacy is to make others feel as badly as they do. The internet doesn't create these people, but it does give them a near-boundless avenue to dick around with others.

To the self-described trolls in that article who would say, "life sucks, get over it", I would say, well yeah, YOU get over yourselves, too. Stop taking advantage of other insecure people and actually do something positive with your lives.

Zarode
May 8, 2009, 01:15 AM

I am here. This thread is gold now. Thank you.

Actually, whenever I troll people, I hope to; no, I ATTEMPT to improve them. Force them to use common sense and think before they post. Usually it doesn't work, I get a laugh (and some people), and we all move on.

Unless I get banned. :wacko: And don't think I haven't.

thunder-ray
May 8, 2009, 01:23 AM
I got a strong feeling that this thread is gonna go straight to hell (if it hasent already).

DreXxiN
May 8, 2009, 01:39 AM

I just have a slight misunderstanding at the part where you said "Trollers belittle others and seem to have a superiority complex for the benefit of their own amusement" when you clearly Belittled him by, hopefully sarcastically, laughing at his commenting of your grammar-nazi statement. You just made him feel stupid because he couldn't detect sarcasm on the internet.

BlaizeYES
May 8, 2009, 01:44 AM
yea, i couldnt read 7 pages of that article. i read the first page... way too much shit. honestly, i never even knew what the whole "lolcats" thing was... until like a month ago. never went to 4chan or anything like that. i just never really took the time to explore how deep the online community goes.

with the internet, people make a few viral videos and become infamous, or famous... whichever one. its like no longer do people need tv to be seen or heard. they dont need "hollywood" and movies to be recognized, they can do it from their computer for free, with no agent, and no production costs. and now everyone gets the same treatment as any movie star, rockstar, socialite, or any other kind of "star." any confused teenager writing a blog about how depressed they are on a livejournal has their thoughts available for everyone to see. even making an "online funeral" on myspace is public enough for people who dont even know the guy, or care to know him, is not a good idea. they arent using a small collected group in a community to mourn a kid's death, they're using the internet. nobody really knows anyone, and expecting empathy form millions of faceless people is just weird.

maybe these "trolls" never "got enough love from their parents" or "just didnt get enough attention growing up," but isnt the fact that someone who is showcasing their "wide array of emotions" equally at fault here? i mean do you walk around the street in a city where you know nobody, trying to look as sad and depressed as possible, telling stories and talking about "how you feel," hoping that others will(for some reason that never happens) walk up to you and give you a hug? maybe the "emo" ones expect others to care about someone that doesnt really exist in a random stranger's life... and they're willing to exploit themselves on a digital stage to try to get emotion out of others.

the internet itself is fucked. identity theft, people getting hacked, and all of the things that happen to someone out of the blue... those are people that dont really deserve it. but the people that showcase their suicides on youtube, the ones that blog about how they wish they were dead, and the millions of kids and teenagers whos brains havent developed enough to realize that everything they do these days is being watched... they need to learn to stop expecting strangers to be so sympathetic to their problems.

the internet is good for discussing things. ruining someones life is a bit severe, so is mocking someone's death... but you cant tell me that you'd go around a big city and try to reach every pedestrian on an extremely personal level without assuming you'd catch some ridicule

HolioArtillery
May 8, 2009, 01:56 AM
I just have a slight misunderstanding at the part where you said "Trollers belittle others and seem to have a superiority complex for the benefit of their own amusement" when you clearly Belittled him by, hopefully sarcastically, laughing at his commenting of your grammar-nazi statement. You just made him feel stupid because he couldn't detect sarcasm on the internet.
I don't feel stupid though because the whole point was to make him contradict himself. I know sarcasm just fine, I wreak of it myself most of the time. Of course a tiny little phrase tacked on the end of a few serious paragraphs, spouting HEIL SPELLING, no less, even though spelling isn't grammar as someone pointed out, was simple joking sarcasm. If anyone bothers to read a few of my posts in the Oprah thread in off-topic, you'll find that unless something covered at least in a paragraph or so, I'm not even gonna bother acknowledging it.

I've also never been grammatically corrected by the guy nor seen him be an ass about it to anyone. All I had to do was tack on some BS to the end of my post about something he said half-heartedly and suddenly he feels smug and superior to me in a thread whining about people who try to be smug and superior, DOH!

I also love that little serious business bit. Oh, yes, I'm oh so serious! Please, he's the one that brought all this crap up in the first place, bringing serious busness on the internet then whining about people being serious (whadyaknow, more contradiction.) And to top all of it off in what was a funny unintended twist, he at least seemed to get somewhat of a glimpse at how seeing a person worked up can be amusing, the very reason a lot of people troll (especially /b/ trolls, heck, just slap a brit vs american thread in there and they argue without end, it is amusing.) So not only did I troll him, but I showed him why people troll.

Sekani
May 8, 2009, 03:55 AM
The OP is the reason why trolls exist. Seriously, there a few better ego-boosters than knowing that with a few taps of a keyboard you can piss off a complete and total stranger, and their only defense is to make a fool out of themself.

W0LB0T
May 8, 2009, 04:20 AM
Damm! I was just gonna say that, but worded diffrently.

furrypaws
May 8, 2009, 06:47 AM
Trolls aren't fun.

People who take PSO/PSU any game for that matter like it needs to be one way and only one way and if you do it any other way you're wrong, stupid, and ignorant aren't fun.

People who make ridiculous comparisons, like mods to Nazis, not only show their own ignorance towards the context of history, but belittle the whole incident.

Yes. People on the internet are stupid. But, there's nothing you or I or anyone else can do about it.

astuarlen
May 8, 2009, 11:45 AM
Trolls, unlike bombs, are inherently easy to defuse. Seriously, can you get worked up over the rantings of someone who looks like this:
[spoiler-box]http://readingeagle.com/BlogUploads/12/Troll.jpg
Okay, okay, it's offensively ugly--but pretty easy to ignore. Picture your enemies in plastic and you'll have no problems.[/spoiler-box]

Vanzazikon
May 8, 2009, 11:49 AM
So, OP was a troll after all.

Cracka_J
May 8, 2009, 12:19 PM
Are you really trolling though if you know you are truly superior to others?
Or is that just being a show-off?

:)

Volcompat321
May 8, 2009, 01:27 PM

:)

One can't know, unless you actually know the person your trolling. Right?

Kylie
May 8, 2009, 01:35 PM
They only do it because there are, basically, no consequences.

That's the bottom line, and I mean that in a neutral way because I like some trolls.

Volcompat321
May 8, 2009, 01:39 PM
They only do it because there are, basically, no consequences.

That's the bottom line, and I mean that in a neutral way because I like some trolls.

It's not 100% true, cause I have been called a troll(even though i dont think i was "trolling")...I talk as much "shit" in real life as on the internet. Although, I try to talk less "shit" on the internet, cause there really is no reason, or valuable cause.

Kylie
May 8, 2009, 01:44 PM
It's not 100% true, cause I have been called a troll(even though i dont think i was "trolling")...I talk as much "shit" in real life as on the internet. Although, I try to talk less "shit" on the internet, cause there really is no reason, or valuable cause.Well, I edited that because I was only talking about the people that get on Youtube all day and bash stuff to get a reaction out of people. I didn't want to generalize all trolls. :-P

Volcompat321
May 8, 2009, 01:47 PM
ah, yea I've seen the youtube video responses. I was actually watching one of this gorgous girl singing, and she sang really good (imo) and people bash on her for having a hair in the wrong place...I was like..."uh wtf" lol.
(i edited your new post in lol)

Vanzazikon
May 8, 2009, 02:16 PM

:)Well, if you're presenting yourself superior than others just to piss them off, then you would qualify as a "troll", therefore showing off is one way to troll.