PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy X

SStrikerR
May 8, 2009, 07:22 PM
Right in front of "The sea of sin" or whatever the hell it's called, I died. I just wasted 45 minutes of my life for that?

Cool stuff.

FDSGSFDGSFDGFDSMOTHERFUCKERSFDGSDFGSAFDSAVASVAV

Vanzazikon
May 8, 2009, 07:26 PM
gg, nub.

SStrikerR
May 8, 2009, 07:31 PM
gg, nub.

Thanks man, :wacko:

Yeah, never playing that game again.

Vanzazikon
May 8, 2009, 07:33 PM
Can you believe there's an X-2? :wacko:

SStrikerR
May 8, 2009, 07:36 PM
Played that too.
Sucked at/hated it too.

FF just isn't my best, I guess.

Chuck_Norris
May 8, 2009, 07:48 PM
What'd ya die at? Also, :disapprove: at FFX-2. :disapprove: (It fails so hard, it needs a second disapprove)

SStrikerR
May 8, 2009, 08:08 PM
What'd ya die at? Also, :disapprove: at FFX-2. :disapprove: (It fails so hard, it needs a second disapprove)

3 of the flying thingies. First I tried to kill the all at once with wakka's overdrive, but of course I messed that up. Many misses, confusions, confusion-induced suicides later, and some attack I've never seen before hitting every member of my party, I died.

Chuck_Norris
May 8, 2009, 08:32 PM
3 of the flying thingies. First I tried to kill the all at once with wakka's overdrive, but of course I messed that up. Many misses, confusions, confusion-induced suicides later, and some attack I've never seen before hitting every member of my party, I died.

Ahh. I didn't really fight most of the enemies there. honestly, if you can fight them for 45 minutes, I'd say you won't have much trouble with the bosses. Just Flee and skip to the later bits.

SStrikerR
May 8, 2009, 08:35 PM
See, the problem is, I dan't played it in so long that I forgot you COULD flee.
Damnit >_>

Chuck_Norris
May 8, 2009, 08:41 PM
Tidus probably has it, if you don't remember. : P

Rust
May 8, 2009, 09:33 PM
FF just isn't my best, I guess.

Well, if only you wouldn't have picked the two worst episodes of the series... :wacko:

DreXxiN
May 8, 2009, 10:02 PM
Well, if only you wouldn't have picked the two worst episodes of the series... :wacko:

I thought 10 was good honestly. Nothing beats the SNES ones for me, though.

Chuck_Norris
May 8, 2009, 10:06 PM

Oh, yes, he should of started with 7 or 8. >_>

Rust
May 9, 2009, 07:54 AM
Personal opinion on the series:

*IV: A classic with great story, but there was waaay too much random encounters ; so much that I had to restart the game from the beginning because I ended up fleeing from every battle that bothered me and faced a boss with quite a shitty level that made him next to impossible to beat. Not a bad game, but I've been personally pissed with the plot twist about Cecil (spoiler: when he goes from Dark Knight to Paladin).

*V: This one was OK. The plotline isn't the most original but the characters and job system make up for it. Quite a good episode for starters.

*VI: A shitload of playable characters (each with unique skills), an awesome and long plotline (for a SNES episode, that is), and one of the best villain I've seen in a regular RPG. FFVI was truly brilliant.

*VII: Yes, this is one of my prefered ones, but not really for the plotline. I've always been fond of post-apocalyptical/survival-horror stuff and this one really pulled out elements of both in a very good way. Add to that I've always liked having weird monstrous characters in my RPGs (RED XIII, Cait Sith, Vincent, in this one), and each character had a very interesting personality. Though, the plotline is quite the rollercoaster. The first 5 or 6 hours in Midgar were friggin' awesome (kind of like the first dive) then as soon as you arrive on the world map, it was kind a bit of a letdown. Spoiler: Besides the little bit on the Cargo between Juno and Costa Del Sol, I had to wait for the Weapons to come out during Disc 2 to find the story interesting again. And let's face it, the villain was terribly cliched and overrated.

*VIII: I liked the whole setting (somewhere between a contemporary era and a futuristic one), the use of the world map was very smart (how many times did I buy a car just to "drive" on the map :wacko:) and it had very memorable moments (Dollet Satellite Tower, Desert Prison, Lunatic Pandora, the Hydra...). Though, found all of the characters pretty bland and generic, and the villain had no charisma (no talking about Edea here). And... the magic stealing system is the worst idea I've ever seen for a battle system ; spending 25 minutes stealing a spell to a boss, then raping him in less than 5 minutes isn't my conception of entertainment.

*IX: I felt it was kind of a back to basics to the old SNES episodes. Again, I found some monstrous characters to my likings (Quina <3), the plotline was pretty solid, and the cutscenes quite well done to boot. This one doesn't bring anything special (besides the equipment leveling idea, which works pretty well), but still have a kind of charm to it.

*X: I didn't like the plotline, and moreover, I felt like I was forced to follow it from the beginning to the end (no world map?! srsly, wtf?). Besides Rikku and Kimahri, never liked the cast either. The only thing I retain from this one is the sphere thingy (don't know how they call that in the US version). Yes, it had very nice graphics, but I barely take that into account when I judge how good a game is. A poor game with awesome graphics stays a poor game.

*X-2: Much like the X, but they also butchered Rikku's look in it. And that clothes swapping system was very silly. No, really, I don't see ANY good point to this game.

*XI: The game is far from being bad in itself, but the crappy community doesn't make it enjoyable to play (since it's next to impossible to solo).

*Haven't played I, II, and III (lack of a real plotline doesn't drag my interest the slightest), and XII (no PS2, lulz). So no comments on them.

tl;dr
I'd rather suggest V or IX for starters. They aren't anything too special, but still are pretty good games. VII and VIII are indeed my favourites, but I'm far from thinking they're the best to start with the series (especially VIII with that stupid and horrible stealing feature). VI is awesome, but I don't suggest it for starters either. Much like starting with the worst episodes would make you hate the series without giving a shot to the rest, trying one of the best first is preparing oneself for a huge disappointment when you're going to take on the other episodes. I'd personally suggest to try it last, or somewhere close to last.

Ketchup345
May 9, 2009, 10:31 AM
*X: The only thing I retain from this one is the sphere thingy (don't know how they call that in the US version).Blitzball? Or sphere grid leveling system?

Final Fantasy may not be your thing. What was the Sea of Sin like again?

SStrikerR
May 9, 2009, 10:58 AM
I DO like blitzball....the sphere grid was a pain.
The sea of sin is a huge-ass map that would take about 5 minutes to run through, minus enemy encounters, which take between 2-5.
And I mustve had like 25-30 fights in there, and the monsters are pretty tough.

Randomness
May 9, 2009, 12:55 PM
Blitzball was decent for a minigame. A little too in-depth, though.

Kent
May 9, 2009, 01:41 PM
Geh, I hated Blitzball. Triple Triad was the last minigame in a Final Fantasy game I remember enjoying...

Similarly to the case of Falcon Punch, Final Fantasy X has a button you can press to solve all potential problems: Bahamut. 99999 damage to one or all targets every turn... And before you even make it to the end of the game? It's a bit overpowered, but it'll certainly solve what ails you.

Rust
May 9, 2009, 02:00 PM
Blitzball? Or sphere grid leveling system?

Sphere grid.

Blitzball was pretty meh, IMO.

Randomness
May 9, 2009, 05:07 PM
Geh, I hated Blitzball. Triple Triad was the last minigame in a Final Fantasy game I remember enjoying...

Similarly to the case of Falcon Punch, Final Fantasy X has a button you can press to solve all potential problems: Bahamut. 99999 damage to one or all targets every turn... And before you even make it to the end of the game? It's a bit overpowered, but it'll certainly solve what ails you.

Dunno how much you fed Bahamut, but I don't recall hitting quite that hard with him. Anima, however...

Kard
May 9, 2009, 06:19 PM
You have to work to get that Break Damage Limit, especially to do 99,999. Besides, you'll need more than just Aeons to take out the toughest monsters in the Arena.

I'll agree with the sentiment that X wasn't so challenging, though. RPGs that fit into that category are like a lost art~

autumn
May 9, 2009, 06:39 PM
VII and VIII are indeed my favourites

This made me so sad. The first disc was good and the game just sorta went downhill after that ._.

Rust
May 9, 2009, 07:06 PM
Dunno, I liked the whole part from Desert prison to Fisherman's Horizon, and the war between BGU and GGU in disc 2, and Lunatic Pandora/part in space/Moon Tear falling on Esthar in disc 3.
Disc 4 was just a dungeon and the endgame on the world map, so... not worth mention it.

To each his own.

Cracka_J
May 9, 2009, 07:14 PM
VIII was a pooper, probably my most disliked in the series.
I did dig the tunes though, oddly one of my favorite (if not my #1) FF soundtracks.

I thought X was a really well done game. If anything, it was too easy. But the game was a decent length and there were a bunch of subquests to do after finishing, so I have to say I enjoyed the ride.

Everyone was right about X2 though...game can be beaten in under 20 hrs...wtf. If I wanted mystic quest I'd play mystic quest, I don't need boobs and a shitty battle system to reminisce about classic square failures.

But yeah, as a total package X stands as one of my more favorite games in the series. Of course I'd have to go with IV or VI as a favorite, but X is a really, really good game.

Kard
May 9, 2009, 10:08 PM
I'm not surprised X-2 was a negative for most people. I enjoyed it though, as a fun, more fast-paced experience, and a new take on the old job system.

I also notice people still make the mistake of saying FF8's main villain was a nothing; but don't forget that all of Edea's actions, right through to disc 3 (I think) are Ultimecia acting through her. We never actually saw Edea herself until late in the game, and ironically she did a lot of nothing. Ultimecia doesn't get enough credit as a powerful, intelligent and crafty villain.

X is my favourite. I enjoyed the interactions between the characters, and for once actually felt like I was a part of the hero's surreal journey through Spira. Normally no matter how a storyline plays out, there's hardly any real consequence to the characters' actions. This time, the consequence of the successful pilgrimage would ultimately lead to the sacrifice of someone you've been with all along. And to be honest, the voice acting, save for a few awkward moments, made me care more.

Kent
May 9, 2009, 10:23 PM
Dunno how much you fed Bahamut, but I don't recall hitting quite that hard with him. Anima, however...
It was really weird. For quite a while in the game, I just didn't use Yuna, because her summons were comparatively weak when compared to what I could be doing with three characters on the field (and thusly, her stat growth suffered compared to the characters I did use)...

But one day I brought her in and summoned Bahamut, and his normal attacks were doing 99999 damage consistently. I have no idea what happened here.

autumn
May 10, 2009, 03:55 AM
Dunno, I liked the whole part from Desert prison to Fisherman's Horizon, and the war between BGU and GGU in disc 2, and Lunatic Pandora/part in space/Moon Tear falling on Esthar in disc 3.
Disc 4 was just a dungeon and the endgame on the world map, so... not worth mention it.

To each his own.

VIII was the first FF game I played (And the 2nd PS game I ever played, the first being Suikoden I. I played it at a friends and went to buy it, couldn't find it, and that was how I stumbled across VII actually ^^;) I was really, really into it till the beginning of disc 2 where they start you as Laguna. After the epic end to disc one Laguna was such a turnoff and imo having to go through that stuff didn't get any better through the rest of the game. I was also really unhappy with how uncool Edea ended up. I give that the game had great music and beautiful cutscenes though.

I've enjoyed the FF series that I've played as a whole though. I didn't come to FF until it was on Playstation (I didn't own a SNES) I adored VII and IX. I didn't play all the way through X but what I played I enjoyed and the same goes for XII. I have this stack of old games that I should clean the dust of the PS2 and finish playing ._.

amtalx
May 11, 2009, 08:58 AM
I really liked VI, VIII, and X. VII was fun, but not one of my favorites. IX is my least favorite by far. I actually just started XII this weekend and I like it so far. Vaan's voice actor is horrible, but I can forgive bad voice acting if the story is decent (TBD) and the combat is fun.

Outrider
May 11, 2009, 10:54 AM
Just to chime in - I think the reason I love VIII so much (and in retrospect, this might contribute to my love of XII), is it's one of the few Final Fantasy games that had a fully realized plot and setting. Everything was tied up, everything had a purpose, and everything made sense when it was connected to the rest of the world.

It's a shame that it's just as responsible for killing the fantasy aspect of the series as FFVII is, but taken as it's own game, Final Fantasy VIII is actually really well done.

X was okay to me, but it was a little too linear for me. I also felt like none of the areas or encounters really stood out to me, and I loathed the mini-games: Blitz Ball could have been fun if it were actually real-time, but the sphere-based puzzles you had to complete in each dungeon were far too monotonous for my tastes.

I have been thinking more about the battle system recently, and there was actually a lot to love. I don't know if it's my favorite battle system (and its reliance on strengths and weaknesses of elements was a little too Pokemon for me), but it works and it's pretty fun.

BlaizeYES
May 11, 2009, 11:27 AM
your problem is that you were using wakka, that guy was terrible.

i liked final fantasy x... i havent really played any of the other ones except for ff7 like 5 years ago... after i played ffx. i really liked the story of ffx, but near the end, i felt that when you find out that whole thing with tidus and whats going to happen, you couldnt really judge on where anyone stood on anything. the drive of the main character completely shifted, and it added depth but you lost track of momentum

Cracka_J
May 11, 2009, 12:27 PM
but near the end, i felt that when you find out that whole thing with tidus and whats going to happen, you couldnt really judge on where anyone stood on anything.

I don't entirely agree with that. The whole plot, theme and focus of X was that their world was based on a neverending spiral of death. The individuals you play as were in a struggle to break the spiral, and expose the main religion in the world for the secrets they were hiding. So I don't think that really changed once you find out tidus/yuna's roles, and what parts they are meant to play. If anything, it seemed like they had more purpose (tidus especially) because if they didn't see their initial goal of breaking the spiral through, more and more people would just die and the cycle would just continue to repeat itself.

So imo, X's story was pretty well-knit together. That and I despise organized religion so the story sat rather well with me :)