PDA

View Full Version : only a few more months...

TalHex
May 17, 2009, 08:05 PM
till I'm free of Microsoft's tyranny! I'm getting a Mac!

Dhylec
May 17, 2009, 08:06 PM
good for jo.o

Unit D79
May 17, 2009, 08:11 PM
beware... theyll get you... they jump you, drag you into a alley and install a patented windows 98 mind control device into the base of your skull...

Lunairetic
May 17, 2009, 08:15 PM
I don't understand why people like Macs. They're inferior hardware with a large markup. If you want an alternative, move to Linux, at least that's not crappy with a sleak design to make it look spiffy.

Randomness
May 17, 2009, 08:18 PM
Personally, I'll be sticking with Windows. Two reasons:
1-I like being able to upgrade my computer.
2-I like using my computer for games.

That is all.

Unit D79
May 17, 2009, 08:18 PM
http://www.mayasolution.org/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/WindowsLiveWriter/TheFirstComputer_2CBA/0202lfl6%5B8%5D.jpg

^ or get that. best computer ever created right there.

TalHex
May 17, 2009, 08:20 PM
I don't understand why people like Macs. They're inferior hardware with a large markup. If you want an alternative, move to Linux, at least that's not crappy with a sleak design to make it look spiffy.

you ever tried doing 3d animation and graphics work with a standard windows computer? It's as hard as hell.

Wyndham
May 17, 2009, 08:30 PM
I own a Black Macbook!

Randomness
May 17, 2009, 08:38 PM
No, not really. But then again, I tend to work with medium to high-end PCs.

Are you borrowing Nitro's computer by chance?

astuarlen
May 17, 2009, 08:40 PM
you ever tried doing 3d animation and graphics work with a standard windows computer? It's as hard as hell.

Ha.
Ha.
Hahahaha.
Have you?

All I'm really gonna say on that topic.

Randomness
May 17, 2009, 08:43 PM
Oh wait, graphics stuff?

I've run CS3 on Windows comps. It runs very well (On school computers, even) So do all my high-end games (At home). That leaves out what, 3-D editing?

Moore's Law. PC is modular, easy to upgrade. Mac's aren't.

Lunairetic
May 17, 2009, 08:45 PM

I'm a graphic designer by trade, so yes actually, to the graphic work. 3d Animation as well, though that was only in school. Mac's have been far outpaced in the graphic department; whereas they were once the best, they now are not.

The only thing a Mac had over a PC was music, and even now, I'm pretty sure they've been surpassed in that field as well.

TalHex
May 17, 2009, 08:50 PM
*shrug* I tried it with the computer I have, and it failed, miserably. My college recommended a Mac, so that's what I'm going with

Lunairetic
May 17, 2009, 08:52 PM
Mac's have lower over-all specs for a higher price. They're dumb.

HUnewearl_Meira
May 17, 2009, 08:55 PM

I operate two computers. Windows XP on my main, and Kubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope) on my secondary. My investment in both computers is less than half what I'd need to pay for a single Mac, that could rival my Windows machine in power. Are you sure you're gaining freedom?

TalHex
May 17, 2009, 08:57 PM
you know what? I don't care any more... I go with a PC and I'm told they're shit. I go with a Mac and I'm told their worthless. I go with a linux and i'm told it's not worth the time to learn.

I'm sick of all the computer bullshit everybody gives me :disapprove: this is the choice I've made.

EDIT: just lock this topic, I was wrong to even bring it up

Blitzkommando
May 17, 2009, 09:08 PM

So, going from one closed-source, albeit extremely loosely controlled platform to another closed-source extremely tightly controlled platform is a way to fight back against tyranny?

I mean, I regularly use all three systems and OSX is frankly not all that amazing once the "OH THIS IS NEW" phase ends. My MBP is nice but I try to avoid using 3D applications on it as Apple has about the most convoluted and insufficient cooling equipment and profiling I've ever seen. The fans, by default, don't kick up in RPM until the CPU reaches 80C. They then go to about 3500-4000 RPM once the processor finally reaches 100C, where it then begins to throttle down to safe itself from burning up. By this point the previously silent computer now sounds like a turbine but it still can't keep the system cool enough and it hovers right around 97C even with the fans at full 6000 RPM. And that's without it even utilizing the rather mediocre 8600M GT that came with it which only makes the temperatures rise faster. Meanwhile the underside of the laptop is reaching 60C. As in, where it is sitting on the table is reaching 60C.

Add to that where even the top end MBP comes with a mere 9600M GT now, compared to competing (much, much cheaper) laptops come with 9800M GTs and better it is absolutely silly to consider one for 3D work. Lenovo and IBM both offer much better solutions with Nvidia Quatro cards designed for rendering but even an inexpensive ASUS or Gateway at $1200-1400 will absolutely blow away the top end MBP currently offered at $2500 in rendering, image editing, or whatever you should choose to throw at it. There is zero inherent advantage to the platform at all when it comes to rendering until you talk about Apple's Mac Pro desktops with Xeon processors and an even steeper $2800 pricetag for the bare-bones, horribly underequipped units. They are absolutely one of the best workstation platforms around, and when properly configured are rendering powerhouses. But, for a college student trying to keep in a budget they are absolutely the wrong choice.

And don't even get me started on the MacBook line which finally has its own dedicated graphics chip, but still shared graphics memory. Nor mention to me stability as I've had kernel panics out the wazoo, presumably related to the aforementioned overheating issues which have been (somewhat) quelled through the use of smcFanControl (look it up and get it if you insist on staying with the Mac platform as it could very well save your hardware from its own stupid self).

Would I get another Mac again? Probably so as my interest is in computers and the platform is good. Would I get another Apple laptop? A MacBook, maybe for the better portability and because if I want a desktop competitive laptop I now know to avoid Apple like the plague due to their engineering issues. But, most likely, I'll wait a bit until after I'm out of college and pick up a Mac Pro for use as a workstation for programming, multimedia editing, and the like while having a cheaper but likely just as powerful Windows/Linux machine for gaming and otherwise.

Oh, and enjoy using the world's most absolutely worst mouse. Well, that's not true, the Mighty Mouse isn't as bad as the puck, also from Apple. Needless to say, Apple has never, ever made a decent mouse. Ever. Pick up something else. Anything else.

SpikeOtacon
May 17, 2009, 09:09 PM
If you're getting frustrated with the mac hazing you're getting here, you're in for a long road ahead of you Talon. BUT I'm not downing you for wanting a mac.

I own a Macbook Pro, and use OS X Leopard. It's a good operating system, and there are some things in it that let me work a lot faster than I can in windows (Quicksilver, Spaces and some other programs help me when i'm trying to do production stuff with multimedia stuff. But I can still do everything in windows, it just isn't as fast only because of how I am able to work with the system.

Software wise, i've found that both OS X and Windows are fine with their different programs for different things. It all comes down to preference. I currently run systems with Windows XP, OS X 10.5, Ubuntu 9.04, and Windows Vista. I feel that I've spent enough time with each operating system to say it really is just personal preference and what the software is that you want to use.

EDIT: What Blitz said.

Rasputin
May 17, 2009, 09:13 PM
HUNT HIM DOWN.

Uncle_bob
May 17, 2009, 09:19 PM

:disapprove: :disapprove: :disapprove: :disapprove: :disapprove:

TalHex
May 17, 2009, 09:20 PM
oh for the love of god, lock the bloody thread already :disapprove:

SpikeOtacon
May 17, 2009, 09:23 PM
RUN FOR IT, BOY!

http://i433.photobucket.com/albums/qq60/mcmanmeat/Left4Bread/tim1.png

Rasputin
May 17, 2009, 09:24 PM
Thread ain't bloody. E-thangs ain't got no blood to shed.

SStrikerR
May 17, 2009, 09:35 PM
PC>Linux=Mac

HUnewearl_Meira
May 17, 2009, 09:36 PM
Locked at request of OP.