PDA

View Full Version : New Censored word in PSU?

_Vyser_
May 17, 2009, 08:40 PM
So I was talking to my friends, and apparently "Shong" is censored. I looked it up in Urban Dictionary and found nothing offensive. Anyone have any idea why Sega would deem this word wrong? XD

CrimsonBirdy
May 17, 2009, 08:45 PM
PSU's censor is wacky so expect it to censor anything it shouldn't and not anything it should. I was talking about "PMs" and that got bleeped out. Go figure.

Unit D79
May 17, 2009, 08:46 PM
close to schlong, which in some circles means dick. (stupid ebonics class at high school)

The Overlord
May 17, 2009, 08:47 PM
The word "Cody" is censored which I have no idea why a persons name is. Lol

EK Dynomite
May 17, 2009, 08:51 PM
they fixed help. on the 360 severs anyawy

ChibiBecca
May 17, 2009, 08:51 PM
i'm just glad we can say shoes and saturday on PSU.. it was pretty annoying on PSO.

_Vyser_
May 17, 2009, 08:52 PM
Lol, haven't heard "schlong" in ages. I must say, censoring shong because it's one letter off? Sega!!!!

edit: meant "schlong" but "shlong is censored too XD

Overlord Zenon
May 17, 2009, 08:52 PM
alot of mmo's have weird censors, yet theres still some words you can say that are clearly not appropiate, lol so i dunno if its do to bad translation of the game itself or if tried to identify that word as something in all supported languages, then again it can censor a mic

Overlord Zenon
May 17, 2009, 08:58 PM
ironicly hitler is censored in every mmo i've played, more then curse words

Icecold
May 17, 2009, 09:01 PM
Help hasn't been fixed on the BETA unfortunately. I still have to do GM sessions on there and say "Is there anything that I can @#%& you with".

I lol'd. One I don't understand is simply "sd". What could that be? I think of the memory card and that's about it.

Unit D79
May 17, 2009, 09:03 PM
remember, anything and everything can be taken horribly out of context...
even though most of it is extremely ridiculous...

RAGNAGELPPOD
May 17, 2009, 09:15 PM
"s.t.d." and "std" arent censored though. Poof is censored however. Also we cant say "bosom" but we CAN say "breasts". Suppose that has more to do with plurals though.

CrimsonBirdy
May 17, 2009, 09:28 PM
Help hasn't been fixed on the BETA unfortunately. I still have to do GM sessions on there and say "Is there anything that I can @#%& you with".

Dang!!! And I thought "PM" being censored was bad! I'm not on your side of the game but at least we can say help... well last I checked. PM was only recently deemed profanity. XD Sega

Unit D79
May 17, 2009, 09:31 PM
guess cause its close to pms...

i wonder if theres a list that holds all the words that M$ deem cenzorable.
if so, then it needs to be heavily edited.

Turb0
May 17, 2009, 09:38 PM
PSU's censor is wacky so expect it to censor anything it shouldn't and not anything it should. I was talking about "PMs" and that got bleeped out. Go figure.

They probably censored that because it thinks you mean PMS, idk. And I'm confused, Chill's back? I thought he left Sega for another company. And why did all his posts in this thread get deleted? (unless someone just made an account to impersonate him?) :-?

S4CT4L1TY
May 17, 2009, 09:39 PM
he was a fake

グレッグ
May 17, 2009, 09:43 PM
On Monster hunter, "after" was censored because it meant something naughty in German... :|

Gravagar
May 17, 2009, 09:45 PM
I gotta ask... What the heck were you talking about that made the word shong come up?

I remember when 'ham' was censored pre-AOTI. :-?

_Vyser_
May 17, 2009, 09:45 PM
On Monster hunter, "after" was censored because it meant something naughty in German... :|

Lol, really? I don't remember the censored words in that (awesome) game. I'm tempted to fire up ye ol' PS2 to find out.

グレッグ
May 17, 2009, 09:47 PM
Lol, really? I don't remember the censored words in that (awesome) game. I'm tempted to fire up ye ol' PS2 to find out.

Capcom took the servers down unfortunately.

However, I remember that word being censored quite clearly, it really annoyed me. Until a German friend told me why it was censored.

JanosA
May 17, 2009, 09:49 PM
saltwater is censored...

Turb0
May 17, 2009, 09:57 PM
I gotta ask... What the heck were you talking about that made the word shong come up?

I was thinking that too lol.

pinkace
May 17, 2009, 09:59 PM
i think it is censored because it has 'ho' in it. Just like 'shoe' or shoes' was censored on PSO.

_Vyser_
May 17, 2009, 10:03 PM
Capcom took the servers down unfortunately.

However, I remember that word being censored quite clearly, it really annoyed me. Until a German friend told me why it was censored.

Oh right, forgot that :/ Wonder what kinds of words will be censored on MH3 whenever it comes to our shores!

The Overlord
May 17, 2009, 10:04 PM
saltwater is censored...

Cause in saltwater there is a T to the w to the a to the t.

tjanuranus
May 17, 2009, 10:05 PM

lol:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Halcyote
May 17, 2009, 10:07 PM
It's sad that I cannot talk about my love for saltwater taffies. :(

_Vyser_
May 17, 2009, 10:08 PM
That's on par with "Isn't it" *facepalm* Censoring this stuff is only doing more harm than good. My cursory knowledge has increased thanks to Sega actually. Then again, it does provide a good amount of entertainment :D

JanosA
May 17, 2009, 10:19 PM

i know this. its just ridiculous...

Halcyote
May 17, 2009, 10:21 PM
That's on par with "Isn't it" *facepalm* Censoring this stuff is only doing more harm than good. My cursory knowledge has increased thanks to Sega actually. Then again, it does provide a good amount of entertainment :D
Don't forget, "put a". As in: "I put a Vishic board in my PM today. Hopefully all goes well."

_Vyser_
May 17, 2009, 10:30 PM
It's also forbidden to do poorly in this game. To shout out, "I got a C on that mission!" is wrong. Basically, you'd say, "I got a @ #$ that mission!"

Unit D79
May 17, 2009, 11:09 PM
theres two cenzors actually. there is no hope in psu silly! :P

ALL WILL BE ROLLED BACKED!

Criss
May 17, 2009, 11:42 PM
I'd also like to point out that "dieu", the french word for "god", is also censored. I could never figure out how that could be offensive.

_Vyser_
May 17, 2009, 11:58 PM
I'd say because it has "die" in it, but I know that isn't censored, so...noooooo clue. "God" in other languages is not censored either (out of the ones my friends tried).

elshagan
May 18, 2009, 12:03 AM
One thing I found mega fail from Segac is that they've censored one of their own bullet PAs
Twin Penetration. XD

Unit D79
May 18, 2009, 12:09 AM
i dont see anything wrong with... oh wait nevermind....

wait a second... people do that?! O_o

Ruru
May 18, 2009, 12:17 AM
too many things are censored that shouldnt be @.@ i was talking about johnny depp with a friend and "depp" is censored. "pork" is censored so i cant even say i had pork last night or something similar. no i would have to say i had a nice piece of meat... which is just as bad if not worse. blow and poof... both censored. then you can say some crazy words that you think would be censored but arent... really i think they should just give us an on/off switch for the censor or actually go in their and edit it manually so it looks reasonable and 20% of my daily vocabulary doesnt come out as "@$&#!"

Neoptolemus
May 18, 2009, 12:27 AM
This one has been bothering me since the first week the game came out: the word 'prolo' is censored. Anyone have any clue as to what a prolo is and what language it is from? I am not that up on my Urban-speak, so I may be missing the obvious...

Suzuka Miyamoto
May 18, 2009, 12:45 AM
This one has been bothering me since the first week the game came out: the word 'prolo' is censored. Anyone have any clue as to what a prolo is and what language it is from? I am not that up on my Urban-speak, so I may be missing the obvious...

landman
May 18, 2009, 01:43 AM
I find it funny that sega didn't care to translate the game to spanish but they did to include it in the censor xD

mvffin
May 18, 2009, 02:05 AM
they did fix the sensors recently, a lot of words that were censored aren't anymore.

You can now say Lapucha for instance. A few friends and I played around the other day, and we found quite a few words that are fixed now. They may have added more when they removed some of the others from the list.

bloodflowers
May 18, 2009, 05:23 AM
Since anyone can say anything over the headset anyway, I think they should just drop the MS side censor. A lot of people don't realise, PSU on 360 seems to have two layers of censor - first is the normal PSU one (which blocks what it doesn't like), and then it hands it off to Microsoft (which has a much bigger dictionary and blocks the ENTIRE SENTENCE).

Apparently they were forced to use the MS one.

The 'censor bypass trick' which a lot of people use doesn't actually bypass the PSU one at all, but it does break the MS one. Thank god.

CrimsonBirdy
May 18, 2009, 06:31 AM
Why would anyone be so desperate to bypass the censor when it comes to inappropriate language anyway?("insert rant here", it's not like i don't curse but i don't find it necessary and some people just- "insert rant part2") Also I don't see how it's really been fixed if "PM" is censored. Though a group of players discussing PM feeding etc must look awfully funny. XD Though seriously this whacked out censor isn't. Might as well not be there...

Syndrome
May 18, 2009, 07:12 AM
I do think that it is pretty funny that a lot of the words that they censor you can put the @ symbol in front of your sentence and it will not edit it. (Xbox 360 side anyway). Also, I think it is kind of dumb to censor words on a server that SUPPORTS voice chat, considering all the little kiddies run around yelling every swear word they know.

Neith
May 18, 2009, 08:18 AM
'Con'
'Zob' (though I figured out why for this, go look yourself XD)
'SD' (I assume it could be seen as 'Sexual Disease?' But STD isn't censored?)

Still not as bad as PSO.
"I'm going to put my shoes in the basement on Saturday' would appear as
"I'm going to put my %&^* in the £&*$%*^% on %£&%£*!%"
(Censored because 'Shoes' contained 'Ho', Basement contained 'Semen' and Saturday contained 'turd' :lol: )
You also couldn't say 'Marica' (the name of a Mag, apparently an insult in another language)
Or 'Frozen Shooter' (either 'Ho' or 'Hooter' was censored)
Or 'Ano Rifle / Ano Bazooka' (Ano was censored)

landman
May 18, 2009, 08:34 AM
I lold at the Ano Rifle (my second 1st language is spanish), what would you think if you see in a game a weapon called "Anus Rifle"? xD also lold at the Marica MAG xD

Exolithus
May 18, 2009, 08:37 AM
still remeber the time where the word bin (german for be/was/were) was censored...it was a horror to told someone something about yourself on german xD

fay
May 18, 2009, 09:47 AM
im fed up haveing to say "he/p" etc

_Vyser_
May 18, 2009, 12:13 PM
still remeber the time where the word bin (german for be/was/were) was censored...it was a horror to told someone something about yourself on german xD

Oh, wasn't just that. I recall "bin" and the next 5 characters, no matter what they were, after got censored with it.

Kinako78
May 18, 2009, 12:30 PM
they fixed help. on the 360 severs anyawy

"help"? What did they get that from That Darn Cat or something?

Kinako78
May 18, 2009, 12:41 PM
'Con'
'Zob' (though I figured out why for this, go look yourself XD)
'SD' (I assume it could be seen as 'Sexual Disease?' But STD isn't censored?)

Still not as bad as PSO.
"I'm going to put my shoes in the basement on Saturday' would appear as
"I'm going to put my %&^* in the £&*$%*^% on %£&%£*!%"
(Censored because 'Shoes' contained 'Ho', Basement contained 'Semen' and Saturday contained 'turd' :lol: )
You also couldn't say 'Marica' (the name of a Mag, apparently an insult in another language)
Or 'Frozen Shooter' (either 'Ho' or 'Hooter' was censored)
Or 'Ano Rifle / Ano Bazooka' (Ano was censored)

Hell was also censored, even though certain non-rare weapons had the word Hell as a prefix.

"Check out my %$#& Saber!" XD

bloodflowers
May 18, 2009, 12:53 PM
Why would anyone be so desperate to bypass the censor when it comes to inappropriate language anyway?("insert rant here", it's not like i don't curse but i don't find it necessary and some people just- "insert rant part2") Also I don't see how it's really been fixed if "PM" is censored. Though a group of players discussing PM feeding etc must look awfully funny. XD Though seriously this whacked out censor isn't. Might as well not be there...

They're not trying to bypass to use bad words, they're trying to build real sentences from normal words. That's the sad thing about it, and it's the MS filter doing it, not the PSU one.

Ruru
May 18, 2009, 01:19 PM
its not nearly as bad as that on the PC/PS2 side but that's the gist of it. i dont want to say bad words i just want to speak as i normally do without words that SHOULDNT be censored getting censored. its not about wanting to be a bad mouth child. its about having a conversation that everyone i'm talking to can understand without having to go back and mispell words or retype things seperately just so people know what i'm trying to say. it's ridiculous that an entire sentence can lose its meaning because one word was censored out, you have to then go back and retype the word so others can go "ahh so thats what you meant..."

Hrith
May 18, 2009, 01:21 PM
Remember the local version of PSU censors swear words in French, Spanish and German.

"Con" and "zob" are French "swear words", for instance.

Volcompat321
May 18, 2009, 01:35 PM
One thing I found mega fail from Segac is that they've censored one of their own bullet PAs
Twin Penetration. XD

Twin !@#@#$@!%^# anyone?
Penetration

sovalou
May 18, 2009, 02:26 PM
which reminds me "aid" is completly censored but "aids" is not. wierd eh? >_>

Akihito
May 18, 2009, 02:35 PM
Twin !@#@#$@!%^# anyone?
Penetration

look up Twin Grip requirements I laughed like a schoolkid from the provacatives

landman
May 18, 2009, 03:24 PM
Remember the local version of PSU censors swear words in French, Spanish and German.

"Con" and "zob" are French "swear words", for instance.
And "con" in spanish means "with" so imagine half the sentences censored unless you type "kon" or something like that xD

Hrith
May 18, 2009, 03:39 PM
Yeah, in Italian, too -_-;

Gilliam
May 19, 2009, 03:35 AM
I friend of mine found out that 'shaved' was censored. So I guess you can't write "I shaved this morning" it would come off as "I %$@# this morning" lol.

Funny how characters in the story themselves say some of the words that were censored, like Karen saying 'butt'. Leo says 'damn' when he's in your party ect ect.

Oh, and also 'Dios', God in spanish is censored.

Arika
May 19, 2009, 03:47 AM
They censor the word that turn into offend in case of using it as Katakana too.

Kazemi
May 19, 2009, 09:28 AM
Remember the local version of PSU censors swear words in French, Spanish and German.the same filter is applied to the japanese version too. which really boggles people's minds since we've only been able to find one japanese word that is censored and actually is pretty profane (illegal to use it on tv supposedly...).

EpicLevelWizard
May 20, 2009, 12:09 PM
Bill Gates, Help, and God are censored...
and yet i can say Assclown and Dildo, way to go Sega Censors

Hrith
May 20, 2009, 12:46 PM
Bill Gates, Help, and God are censored...
and yet i can say Assclown and Dildo, way to go Sega CensorsThat's the Microsoft censor, not SEGA's. I can say those words on PC.

グレッグ
May 20, 2009, 01:13 PM
That's the Microsoft censor, not SEGA's. I can say those words on PC.

I can say them on 360 too.

Somehow I think he mis-typed those words.

DUBBz
May 20, 2009, 02:47 PM
450 is censored and i have no clue why

Lunairetic
May 20, 2009, 03:22 PM
They should just incorporate a "turn off" function on the filter. They do it on some other MMO's I play, shouldn't be hard.

hyperacute
May 20, 2009, 03:35 PM
They should just incorporate a "turn off" function on the filter. They do it on some other MMO's I play, shouldn't be hard.

But think of all the fun people would miss out on trying to bypass it :wacko:

[TLB]Konda
May 20, 2009, 03:53 PM
The word "Cody" is censored which I have no idea why a persons name is. Lol

;-; why would they censor my name thats kinda mean.

Unit D79
May 20, 2009, 05:50 PM
tbh, this cenzor crap is pretty childish. we are going to hear "bad" words anyways on tv. so what if they might offend someone. there are tools in place so that they wont have to be bugged people offending them.

Puppet_Papaya
May 20, 2009, 06:04 PM
I friend of mine found out that 'shaved' was censored. So I guess you can't write "I shaved this morning" it would come off as "I %$@# this morning" lol.

Apparently "Shave" is OK, though. Had this happen with somebody one night. Completely forgot what it was, though. Thanks for reminding me.

Squeezit
May 20, 2009, 08:47 PM
i seriously think someone was having a lot of fun with the censorship thing.
c u is censored.

along with a lot of wierd random words