PDA

View Full Version : private servers Question

AOI_Tifa_Lockhart
May 18, 2009, 06:31 AM
Hiya all,

Now I know we can only mention the existence of private servers but I wonder why this is? I mean this website has provided me with so much help for PSU and PSO such as drop charts, mission info, section ID calculator, yet when I first discussed finding a private server and how awesome it was re-living the game which first got me started in the phantasy star world I got banned from posting for 2 weeks. I know with google its easily found however, I think for being such a large PSO community as this website is can't people have the option to discuss?

I just feel like this website has such a wealth of info so why not also allow people to speak of the private server(s)? I mean they're busy with people I imagine a lot of people would wanna discuss finds, game meets, economy, etc. on here if given the opportunity.

I wanna be very careful not to infringe the rules here, because when I first did it was by accident in not knowing the rules, but I wonder if people feel the same as I? And also why such topics are banned? Is it because they're not official SEGA endorsements anymore and thus can't be discussed incase its seen as promoting it? :S

Tifa

SStrikerR
May 18, 2009, 06:58 AM
Basically the PS franchise and everything that it involves (servers, games, etc) is owned by Sega. The private servers are doing something illegal by taking SEGA's property without SEGA giving the ok to use it.

And odds are that's never going to change.

AOI_Tifa_Lockhart
May 18, 2009, 07:29 AM
I guess so, but I don't know how long these servers have been running I remember when i used to play PSo on dreamcast people were talking about private servers even back then.

I know you're right that its illegal, but I just feel PSO had such a fanbase that enabling people to still play it and for free is something that shouldn't be viewed as negative. nevertheless I guess websites especially as prominant as this in terms of PSO and the PSo community would have to take a firm negative stance on such websites.

Oh well nevermind, thanks for taking the time to read my post tho :)

Tifa

Nitro Vordex
May 18, 2009, 08:26 AM
Technically we're still promoting it, but we're not promoting it specifically.

An example would be the FKL BB Organizer floating sticky that I made. We don't tell anyone what server we're on except through PM's and out of site ways. We can talk about our experiences, just not the names of the servers or ships.

It's also what Striker said. Sega/Sonic Team never gave the okay to private servers, even after they stopped supporting them. I think Gamespy, the host of PSOW, also has to follow these rules as well.

AOI_Tifa_Lockhart
May 18, 2009, 08:41 AM
Ah cool, where's this FKL BB organizer? I'd like to discuss with other BB players as the past 2 months i've put PSU on the back burner and re-living naustalgic times with PSO lol, although admittedly its killed ym social life stone dead :P

Tifa

KodiaX987
May 18, 2009, 09:57 AM
I know you're right that its illegal, but I just feel PSO had such a fanbase that enabling people to still play it and for free is something that shouldn't be viewed as negative.

Law > Fanclub.

Everyone would love to have everything for free, but it quite simply does not work like that. There are some games that date back to 1990 with a cult following - doesn't matter. You can't have it for free. Not unless its publisher officially declares it as freeware.

Good thing too - else the Wii's Virtual Console would have never seen the light of day. ;)

Dhylec
May 18, 2009, 10:27 AM
Like everyone has told ya, talking about private servers are OK here, just no names or how to get there. Do it on your own & avoid getting you & eventually, us in trouble.