PDA

View Full Version : End of the Year.

Leviathan
May 20, 2009, 10:15 PM
Woo hoo two more weeks of school. I am supposed to feel happy right?
Everyone else sure does, but me? Nope. I feel sad, mad, regretful, and most of all stupid.

Junior year, allegedly they year in which one must excel in order to get into their dream school of sorts. Me? Oh I've been getting straight 75's in math and 80's every where else. I went in this year with high hopes of doing well and what do I get? Don't get me wrong, I tried, but in about the 2nd six weeks of school I kinda gave up. Staying up until 2-3 A.M. every damn day. Waking up at 6 A.M., and having to repeat this all over again. No. No, screw that. I'm at a 89 GPA. It's crap. It sucks. [How/ why did Who's Who of America even send me a letter.]

I find myself asking is this really worth it? Really?

I'm constantly tired, I gained 40 lbs throughout the year, I have had frequent headaches, that weird thing where my spine just about gave up, and all the typical school bull shit.

I think I can say I honestly don't care about school anymore.
In the next 3 weeks I have to take the SAT [Haven't studied at all.] take final exams, and make all my grades look nice and neat. I don't care, I don't care, I don't care.

I'm never going to make it into the top 10%, I'm not going to go anywhere near the "dream" college, I'm not going to be as great as everyone thinks I will be, hell I don't even know what I want to [I]do in college. :-(

All I want is some decent sleep, a bowl of ice cream, and to magically get a 100 in Algebra II.

Sekani
May 20, 2009, 10:32 PM
Today, I look back on high school and realize those four years were a waste of life.

So, don't feel bad. You're not missing much.

jShazBot
May 20, 2009, 10:43 PM
Today, I look back on high school and realize those four years were a waste of life.

So, don't feel bad. You're not missing much.

Ouch. Sounds like your High School years SUCKED.

I to, can't wait until School is over in about 2-3 weeks for me.
All that stress finally gone. I'm struggling to get the D's I have in Algebra 2 (yeah I know it's easy but I was dumb and didn't take it seriously and I procrastinated so this is waht I get -_-) and Biology Honors to at least a low C.
Since middle school, I'm a Sophomore BTW, my grades have never been as shitty as they are now. I used to be a Straight A student now I'm barely surviving some of my classes with a C. Though, I hear alot of people say that their Sophomore year was probably their worst. Can anyone here support that and make me feel better? :disapprove:

CupOfCoffee
May 20, 2009, 10:54 PM
^ Sophomore year was for sure my worst. I didn't do that badly in the end, but like you said, I barely managed to scrape up a C in a few of my classes.

Stick it out, Levi! You got this! Just so long as you graduate from high school, somewhere will want you. You might not be rocking a full scholarship to Yale or anything, but it's not like getting bad Algebra grades your junior year spells doom by any means. Heck, my first roommate in college told me he barely maintained a 2.5 GPA all throughout high school (and my school's not exclusive anything, but it is a full fledged college with classes, dorms, free laptops for students, and other various collegiate things. Beer pong, for instance).

Keep the head up. And listen to more Bowie, goddamn, I can't believe you.

Anduril
May 20, 2009, 11:00 PM
Ah, High School, fond memories. I don't mean to rub this in your face or anything, but I didn't try through High School, and mental-capacity-wise I was the top 5% of my class. But I was (still am) lazy as hell. I ended High School with a 3.67 GPA and I pretty much bullshat every moment of High School, the only reason I didn't graduate with honors was because I had one too many absences. In the end I got accepted into every CSU I applied to, and the only reason I didn't get accepted to any of the UCs or private colleges was because I didn't do enough community service hours. But my intention was to go to the college I am attending right now, just for the mere fact that they have one of the best Teacher Education courses in the state.
The juniors the year I was a senior were all freaked out about getting GPAs above 4.0 and most had breakdowns if the ever got a B, and honestly, it was pretty ridiculous, since they were more worried about the grade, and less about what the were learning, and that is the reason why a large percentage of incoming college students have to take remedial courses upon entry to college, because they never really learned the techniques that they would need for higher education.

So what I'm trying to say is: you don't need to over do it, just try your best within reasonable limits and you'll do just fine. Most college students change their major several times throughout their college experience, so that you don't need to stress about. And remember, when all is said and done just make sure that you are doing what you feel happy doing. If you end up miserable with the path you have chosen, what have you really accomplished?

(PS. My last final is tomorrow. Yay! Just two more hours of school and then a week of waking up with pants on at 4 in the afternoon.)

PPS: Also when you get into college, have fun. Take classes that have nothing to do with your major, or your potential major, because it is going to be a time to truly explore your interests, and you may find yourself drawn to a field you would never have considered before.

(PPPS: I just realized that I may end up teaching kids that are only 4 to 6 years younger than me when I finish my coursework. I'm going to be hated by people who could be my younger siblings.)

Sekani
May 20, 2009, 11:12 PM
Ouch. Sounds like your High School years SUCKED.

No, I just realized that they were very non-productive. All of the education and social skills learned during high school ceased to be relevant the minute I graduated. Nothing from that four-year period had a profound impact on my life.

Majarra
May 20, 2009, 11:49 PM
Yeah as long as you understand the stuff, dont worry about grade. But school is annoying.

Zarode
May 20, 2009, 11:51 PM
Kinda funny to read about kids burning out in high school. Like looking into a magic mirror of when I was younger. Only hurting yourself by not being productive, too. College is expensive as fuck. I did the same thing you kids did, and god damn, do I regret. Free money is the best kind of money.

And you kids think High School is stressful? You ain't seen nuttin' yet. Life is a god damn bitch. School is just an over-glorified daycare center that protects you from the harsh reality that is life. :disapprove:

Although, if I had a choice to go back, I wouldn't. Being free as a bird is great. Guess you need school to teach you that, so you don't take it for granite.

Leviathan
May 21, 2009, 12:00 AM
Oddly enough I do not see life after school as being tough.
More freedoms despite having more responsibility. But I like responsibility. >,>

Zarode
May 21, 2009, 12:05 AM
I thought the same thing until most of those freedoms started to become a pain. You'll see what I mean...

Anduril
May 21, 2009, 12:07 AM
Also with the world in its current economic slump, and if it continues, life may not be all lemon-drops and gumballs after your schooling is over, so be wary, even with a college education.

Zarode
May 21, 2009, 12:18 AM
Economy goes in cycles. We should be fine within the next five to ten years. Most of these kids will have the tough times during college, and ride up with the economy once it rises upwards.

Funny that the main problem about the economy comes back around to education, and how certain generations saw fit to use false math.

MetaZedlen
May 21, 2009, 01:03 AM
Free money is the best kind of money.

QFFT right there...

That's one thing I want to kick my own ass for... but then again, I wasn't quite "qualified" for most of the scholarships my school gave out (my high school was more of the sports related place...), but for those I could have gone for, I didn't...

It's so nice when just out of nowhere your plans to pay for a college quarter get fucked up in an instant: being that I can send in a form for reimbursement for ALL of my class tuition, but nope, I don't get it until the fall... now I'm screwed for payments...

Enjoy high school while you can, there ARE some nasty things out there, but it all depends on how ya prepare for everything ;)

Unit D79
May 21, 2009, 01:15 AM
another junior?! WOOOO! HIGH FIVE! xD
i too, agree that high school so far is turning about to be a complete waste of time. but i got it way worse... WAY WORSE... i took high school level classes in middle school so i could skip out the final year, turns out i got to college level classes now. im barely hanging on in pre cal, now i got to go to calculas AP and lit/comp 5. the only good thing about high school for me, is the rotc course and all my ap history classes. all these people are wondering about what happens if they dont make it into havard, while all i got to is enter into delayed enlistment. give me a couple years and ill be a captain by age 26. with a fatass bank account to boot xD

CrimsomWolf
May 21, 2009, 02:12 AM
I can share your pain Levi.

I still have a month to go in my highschool/college, even tough my finals are in two weeks.

I tried my best, and honestly I am often getting good marks, but recently I simply stopped caring. Maybe beacuse the show we were doing for school (an adaptation of Arthur Miller's The Crucible) left me wholly drained - and frankly I'm sick of all my teachers thinking that their subject is the most important, so they give us a shitload of work most of the time. Plus the bloody community work (which I frankly, am not doing due to fact I have zero knowledge about local language).

And, my IB course (the British version of all those American exams, with fancier-looking papers) still has a year extra (it's two years in total).

We have to do all the work, all the community work, all the fucking Theory of Knowledge essays (don't ask me what they're about, because nobody knows), all "extended" essays (a large essay on one of your subjects, mine is psychology).

And our English school, being English school, doesn't really help, caring solely about it's reputation.

And again, I'm beginning to wonder, why the hell are we doing this? Certainly not purely for knowledge, seeing as English exams are dumber every year. And universities will teach us something different entirely.

Personally, I no longer want to get to any of those "dream universities" (maybe a bit, but it's not likely to happen), I just want to learn something useful, start working, maybe start a small business.

I don't intend to spend half of my life in university, another quater working my ass off and end up emotinally unstable and with some organ cut off like my mother did.

Good day, you all stuck up, teacher pricks.
I've had enough. I'm human, not a god-dammned Nazi ubermensch.

Kent
May 21, 2009, 09:33 AM
Coming from the high school I went to (in Mississippi no less - a place notorious for having horrible schools and school systems), my advice would be to get your GED and be done with it, 'cause it's not worth the stress and it's certainly not worth the time.

Outrider
May 21, 2009, 09:36 AM
Oddly enough I do not see life after school as being tough.
More freedoms despite having more responsibility. But I like responsibility. >,>

That's because you're a junior in high school and you're waiting to graduate and leave your parents' house.

In the grand scheme of things, high school might not seem important, but it's one step that can screw you up if you falter on it (not saying it will, but it can).

And I'm not trying to pick on you, Leviathan, because it seems every other high schooler in this thread is in the same boat, so bear with me.

My advice is this:

It doesn't matter if you think school is pointless or that you don't need to care (or even need it), but the fact is that everybody else thinks it's important, so if you don't want to work retail all your life, you'd better expect that you'll need some sort of education. If you want to go to a trade school, more power to you! Not everybody needs to big fancy college degree to do well in life - there are plenty of mechanics, plumbers, etc that are successful. But if you don't have a useful skill - you're going to have to learn one, most likely through school. Plus, making your own decision as to what kind of education you want (and as a result, what kind of job) is much better than simply "finishing up" what you're required to do and then getting whatever job you can get. Even if you love working at Gamestop, if you're working there because you didn't have any better ideas is going to be much more soul-crushing than going to school for an additional four years.

(Also - it's not worth staying up until 3AM when you've got to get up the next morning, especially if it's just to check websites or talk to people online. In general, it doesn't impact you as anything more than a distraction, so it's not worth it.)

I slacked off in high school and college. I failed Calculus in my freshman year of school because I just didn't want to wake up for it. It was stupid. But I turned it around and at least tried in the classes I didn't care about. Also, the nice thing about college is that after you get done with your general requirements, you can pretty much just take courses pertaining to your major. I had plenty of classes in my junior and senior years, but they were all related to what I was interested in and it was great.

And now? I've got a good job and I make decent money. It's because of these things that I have my freedom - I'm able to live my life the way I want for that very reason.

CelestialBlade
May 21, 2009, 12:27 PM
People blow the worth of high school way out of proportion.

Do your best and finish strong your Senior year, Levi. You should be getting letters from colleges in your mail next year (if you're not already) and that'll help you test the waters a bit. You still have *plenty* of time to decide what you want to do (your first year of college is usually general education requirements anyway, and most people who think they know what they want to do end up changing majors anyway) so there's really nothing to worry about. Your high school GPA can matter somewhat in what colleges you can get into, but you WILL find something for you out there.

The worst thing you can do right now is stress. You're too young for that. High school does *not* mean that much, and it will *not* keep you from your dreams. Try and do decently on your SATs (you really don't need to study though there's some good books out there to help review), and keep in mind that you can retake your SAT if you didn't do as well as you wanted to. Just do your best, and try to enjoy your youth :)

MetaZedlen
May 21, 2009, 04:07 PM
Adding on to what Typheros is saying, you can enjoy your youth as long as you want, but just always try to put the more important things ahead of you first.

Always be a kid on the inside, but be a responsible one ;)

Rasputin
May 21, 2009, 04:13 PM
Stressing in high school is pointless. If you know that you're not poor enough to get lots of financial aid, not smart/resourceful enough to get lots of scholarship money, or don't end up getting into your college of choice, just go to a community college. I wish I would have told my high school self that. Would've saved me a lot of stress then.

Community colleges will almost ensure that you're not in debt (for those 2-3 years anyway), and offer better chances of getting into your choice school, for the most part (Schools like MIT don't care much for transfer students). Not to mention, if you're a learner who needs a little personal attention, the smaller class sizes that community colleges offer will provide you with the opportunity for more teacher assistance.

Like many have said, your first year or two of college is general education. You're not going to be doing anything that a community college can't offer. There are some classes that community colleges don't offer, but universities know this and won't kill you for it.

tl;dr Not getting into a college straight out of high school won't kill you. Remember that you can always apply as a freshman somewhere again, if you really want to, but transferring is ideal.

Volcompat321
May 21, 2009, 04:19 PM
My younger sister is graduating today! Party who's coming!
(I'm almost mad cause I didn't get a graduating party :( my mom hates me)
I loved High School. It was the most amazing time of my life. Now it feels like I want to go back...
Since my little sister is out of school I cant hang out with her hot 18+ friends :( aww man!(I'm jk of course, 20+ for me please)

furrypaws
May 21, 2009, 08:27 PM
School is important.

But that doesn't change the fact that when all of the teachers put mega-projects/major exams all due within 4 days of eachother, it can get hectic. And awful. :<

SStrikerR
May 21, 2009, 10:48 PM
But that doesn't change the fact that when all of the teachers put mega-projects/major exams all due within 4 days of eachother, it can get hectic. And awful. :<

Oh god, I know.

"Gifted" class- one project 2/3's done, 1 project 1/3 done.
Algebra- Nothing, just a ton of tests/work
English- Final Exam
Science- I didn't pay attention all year, like everyone else. Naturally most of us will fail the final exam.
History- Huge-ass project worth probably 60% of my grade that I'm behind in, and my grade's already slipping.
Spanish- Final Exam.

3 more weeks till the stress is gone. I wouldn't be all that stressed if it wasn't for the fact that my parents will not accept C's. I got one this year (in science, of course >_>) and they were pissed. See, I feel that as long as I learn what I need to know, I don't give a damn about my grades in middle school as long as they are C's or higher.

As for the SAT's, Levi, don't worry about them. I didn't really study when I took them last year and I got something around 1500. I'm sure you can do better than that.

PS- Just remember, no matter how hard you think it is right now, it'll all be over soon.
I'll even give you a free Homer SImpson quote that I changed a bit.

Bart: "This is the most stressed I've ever been in my life!"
Homer: "The most stressed you've ever been so far!"

EphekZ
May 23, 2009, 04:38 PM
If you don't know what you want to do, then maybe it's a good thing you're not going to your "dream College". If you go to a lesser college, I.E Community, you'll feel bad about the lack of prestige, but in the long run you'll know it's a better decision. Since you'll be saving TONS of money while taking care of your General Education requirements. Also, transferring is easypeasy and after your 2 years you can get into the college you want.

Anyway, the years over and there's no point in regrets. You obviously did the best you can and you're doing fine. Go out and enjoy your summer to make up for the year you missed out on.

Nitro Vordex
May 24, 2009, 04:08 AM
As far as I know, they're not particularly interested in whether you went to Yale or a community college in your city. If you've got a degree and willing to work, I think that's all they really care about.

Don't be so harsh on yourself, Levi.