PDA

View Full Version : Why everybody seems to be so rude?

Shivah
May 21, 2009, 01:24 PM
Like a lot of other people, I often play with random groups when none of my friends are online, and I noticed that this game is full of rude and bad-manered people: no greetings when someone joins the party, they don't congratulate when someone gets rare item o raises a level, no "goodbye" or "thanks for the party" when disband.... this total lack of respect against their teammates makes me really sick.
I know, I'm talking about random parties with no responsabilities at all with your party mates, if you want a little conversation just play with your friends, etc, etc, but this ins't excuse for the misbehavior of some players. I know this is stupid, but my parents taught me to be polite with everybody, regardless if I know them or not. Maybe for this I expect the same behaviour from all other players. Anyone feels the same way?

PS: And please, if you act like this, change your mind, be polite, it's easy and probably you'll meet new friends and your runs with random people will be nicer for everybody. Remember; behind each character, there's a person like you.

Thanks for read.

Mighty B0T
May 21, 2009, 01:25 PM
Tell it Llike it is :P

beatrixkiddo
May 21, 2009, 01:27 PM
You got 3 characters with 150 without realizing this sooner? :P

If I'm playing with randoms I usually don't feel like talking anyway.

xBladeM6x
May 21, 2009, 01:31 PM
Manners and the internet do not go together. People just like to be naturally rude because they can hide behind their TV screen. Anyways, when I play with anyone I greet them and say goodbye and all that good stuff. It's just best not to get upset over it because people will always be this way.

I guess the best thing to do is just try to encourage people to act respectfully, and if that doesn't work, then oh well. You tried.

Neith
May 21, 2009, 01:40 PM
It's not necessarily rude to not welcome someone to a party. Players on PS2 may not have a keyboard. Considering I type my welcome greetings most of the time because I forget I have shortcuts, it wouldn't surprise me if more people forget about them too. Also, some people are just naturally very quiet in-game because they can't play and talk at the same time. One of the guys I play with doesn't talk much in game but will talk fine between missions and so-on.

I wouldn't take it so seriously. Most parties I join I get welcome greetings, so you must just be having bad luck.

Shivah
May 21, 2009, 01:42 PM
You got 3 characters with 150 without realizing this sooner? :P

Well... yes, but guess I'm an idealistic person ;_; :P

If I'm playing with randoms I usually don't feel like talking anyway.

Well, I don't want a full conversation if isn't possible (everybody needs their "fast runs without distractions" :P), but at least a bit of kindness, we're a party, we're playing together! >__< Am I asking too much? ;_;

landman
May 21, 2009, 01:50 PM
A party that lasts like... 15 minutes till you complete the run?... Even playing with randoms I'm always in party chat with friends, I can type "hi" and "bye", but only to be polite, not because I care :wacko:

hyperacute
May 21, 2009, 01:51 PM
I'm pretty quiet during runs but make sure I cover the basic pleasantries as a minimum ("hello", "congratulations", etc.) because it's the polite thing to do. Not as if it's hard to shortcut them even if you don't have a keyboard.

Mighty B0T
May 21, 2009, 01:53 PM
Like a lot of other people, I often play with random groups when none of my friends are online, and I noticed that this game is full of rude and bad-manered people: no greetings when someone joins the party, they don't congratulate when someone gets rare item o raises a level, no "goodbye" or "thanks for the party" when disband.... this total lack of respect against their teammates makes me really sick.
I know, I'm talking about random parties with no responsabilities at all with your party mates, if you want a little conversation just play with your friends, etc, etc, but this ins't excuse for the misbehavior of some players. I know this is stupid, but my parents taught me to be polite with everybody, regardless if I know them or not. Maybe for this I expect the same behaviour from all other players. Anyone feels the same way?

PS: And please, if you act like this, change your mind, be polite, it's easy and probably you'll meet new friends and your runs with random people will be nicer for everybody. Remember; behind each character, there's a person like you.

Thanks for read.
Sad to say thats the way some ppl and no matter how we feel thats simply never gonna change, you get bad ones and you get goods one ....sad but true.

Yueri
May 21, 2009, 02:03 PM
It can be quite frustrating to go with hello for every person that joins, leaves, joins, leaves and so on...
I feel like I end up putting more focus on what everyone is doing (i.e. leaving or joining...) rather than actually playing properly.

I say hello and stuff at start but when to do many runs and you see so many come and go,what can you expect? It gets tiring. You don't always get much of a hello back either - buy people that probably is like me, they don't have a keyboard close buy or am to lazy to use shortcuts.

I agree that it's quite rude. But this is how the world, or internet rather, goes.
Everyone isn't playing to make friends either, just to kill time or level up or whatever.

I certainly don't feel like talking to others when playing in a random party. Sure we're playing together, but so what?
That means you have to talk to them?

If I ride a buss with 20 other people, does that make me rude for not talking to them?
Yeah, ok... maybe going a little too far.
But that's how I see it.

you get bad ones and you get goods one ....sad but true.

Just hope for the best and... keep hoping.

ashley50
May 21, 2009, 02:06 PM
its cause this game i played by Humans...

Calsetes
May 21, 2009, 02:10 PM
I always try to be nice to the people I run with, even if they're coming off as blatantly rude. If I find it hard to overlook someone's rudeness, then I usually just end up leaving the party and apologizing. Like someone else said, some people are extremely rude online, mainly because they can hide behind a computer screen and their only visual identification is an online avatar which may or may not look anything at all like them.

Just look at that South Park with the World of Warcraft killer.

Aries2384
May 21, 2009, 02:17 PM
Considering just how far PSU has dropped on the sheer stupidity and rudeness ladder... If I join a party, I'm perfectly happy if I don't get booted at the BOSS these days. Plus, Why SHOULD I be "polite" as you say it when 90% of the random retards who join my parties don't even bother to read the comment box which usually explains a couple rules I have.

After playing this game for 2 years, I have learned that usually when new players join in a massive flux (like they do during events) they pick up tons of bad habits from the way the scummier players of this game treat new players. Stupidity begets more stupidity.

Problem is, if you try to tell a new player this after they've already been taught, "You're a noob!" Uh.. excuse me? I was trying to give pointers. You've played for all of..3 days Mr. account number 106k?"

So, please, Don't tell me I'm being rude by not saying hi to you when you join my party.
Am I paying $10 a month to put up with rudeness from you (since I haven't met you you're still a scum random), shitty customer service from Sega, and all the other bullshit that comes with this game?

In the end, be glad if you join my party, as I am fair. I may not say hello to every moron that joins my party, but I will never boot you unless its a valid reason. (Like popping in my party and begging for meseta, is that rude? Gee gosh, really?)
I WILL congratulate you when you get a super rare item (because I just like to see that stuff drop) but I'm not going to congratulate you for a Kerseline. Get over it.

Yes I play on the 360 and I have a headset, but you know... You can only listen to high pitched squeaky kid voices for so long before you start pulling hair out.

Chuck_Norris
May 21, 2009, 02:19 PM
I completely agree with the opening post.

redroses
May 21, 2009, 02:41 PM
Oh, I saw you today saying that in the lobby of the colony.
I was wondering you may have been running with and what the whole problem is. Now I get to know.
Funnily I have noticed more rude players than usual, I am somebody who almost always runs with randoms. But today I encountered a couple rude people. But most of the time the people are very friendly and nice.
I always try to be very polite, friendly and nice with people even if they are rude. Maybe I can get them to be nicer if I am nice to them? Who knows, all I know is that I don't want to be like on of them, so that is reason enough to be friendly and nice for me.
I do hope you get to meet some nice people soon, and don't let everything some randoms do get to you so much!

Rasputin
May 21, 2009, 02:51 PM
You're supposed to be grinding, not having fun. Don't you get it?

Calsetes
May 21, 2009, 03:14 PM
I think possibly the most rude thing anyone can do is have an unlocked party and boot as soon as you join, when they have nothing in the comment box like "Only 50%" "No garbage" etc. I had that happen, and I was the fourth one in, so maybe they just needed the room for a friend (which they could have asked me if I'd leave, and would gladly bow out).

On the other hand, maybe it was someone I made mad here.....? Oh well, it happens.

Unit D79
May 21, 2009, 03:16 PM
i like to talk with people. problem is, most of the people....
a. dont have mics
b. use the xbox party system
c. are racist as hell
d. are ignorant as hell
e. are noobs (not a bad thing, but i hate having to state the obvious)
f. are glitchers
g. are booters
h. are screamers who complain when they dont get a rare
i. are beggers who think lvl 150 = free stacks of money.

did i miss anything?

Delete
May 21, 2009, 03:32 PM
a. dont have mics
c. are racist as hell
d. are ignorant as hell
f. are glitchers
g. are booters

did i miss anything?

Wow, I didnt think it could be summed up so easily, but this is the whole truth right here.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
May 21, 2009, 03:38 PM
Most of the people I come in contact are very kind and polite. Only rarely I get shacked up with d-bags. Example. I joined in a C-rank RoF to top off my Guntecher class at lvl. 10. Well the leader was a complete exp hog and the lower level guy kindly asked if he could get in a few hits. Well that was COMPLETELY ignored by El Punta Gigante and a minute later the lower level guy asks again. The dude ends up booting the guy because he felt that seeing as its his run, he is entitled to all the exp and loot. So I finish the run and guess what I get? A rare mission. This ass begins to plead and beg for me to let him in. I politely refuse his offer by quitting his party. As I'm about to leave I see the lower level guy just hanging out. So I ask him if he'd like to join me for a rare mission. Apparently this doesn't go well with afformented d-bag so he begins throwing out insults and the general crying like a small 5 year old. Yadda Yadda Yadda we go through the mission, newbie gains a few levels and I let him have whatever drops,and all is well in the fictional land of the Gurhal system.

Moral of the story: People are feebs. But that doesn't mean you have to treat everyone like they have a contagious mental disease. Be courteous to others and maybe you'll get a good reward in the end. Like that happy feeling you get when you help someone or maybe a girlfriend in real life. Although I'm waiting for the latter but I doubt it'll happen. But then again the real moral of this story is that rum and coke+PSU= Fun times!

TheOneHero
May 21, 2009, 03:40 PM
One of the best things I like about WoW is only one name can be in use on any given server. Example, someone is named "John" and plays on Server A, he is the only player there named John. So if John is rude, steals loot, or what have you, everyone knows that if they see "John", he's a jerk and shouldn't play with him.

It puts a lot more incentive on being a good, respectable player.

While what you said could be considered rude, doesn't always mean the player is intentionally doing it. Perhaps they don't speak English well and are embarrassed, or they have a lot on their mind and not concerned with saying hi, or perhaps they just don't care because, what's someone going to do on the internet?

For future reference, everyone is raised differently, you can't hold others to your standards or expect them to be good people right off the bat.

hunterseifer
May 21, 2009, 03:40 PM
a. dont have mics
c. are racist as hell
d. are ignorant as hell
f. are glitchers
g. are booters

did i miss anything?
Pretty much that :roll:
Whenever I play with randoms I say cg and hi or thx for runs g2g etc. but if someone lvl's I might not say cg b/c I play with the sound off now so I wont know lolz, playing with the same music over and over is annoying, would rather listen to music on pc.

Cracka_J
May 21, 2009, 03:46 PM
let's all hold hands and cuddle pink bunnies while we fart rainbows too.

everyone pays their 10 bucks, if they're abiding by the tos I don't see what the problem is. let people play however is best for them.

personally when I played I was easily irritated and annoyed by parties constantly spamming "cg" "ty" "yw" etc, it just seemed so fake and empty like it was a forced way of getting along with people so you wouldn't get bitched out for not caring.

I mean (concerning the OP) it's good that you want to be all nice and friendly, but not everyone operates the same way. Just let people play how they like and do your own thing. If it makes you friends, great. Just don't be so concerned about how other people are going about their game. They pay their funds, let 'em do as they please.

Dark Phoenix5
May 21, 2009, 04:01 PM
well i have manners but i can care less if someone levels up simply beacause im a lv 150...so noobs go elsewhere

i say hi and thats about it.I never hav my mic on its annoying...and Im definately not gonna congratulate someone who got the rarest item in the game when i played 13 hours str8 and they did 6 runs.......

Volcompat321
May 21, 2009, 04:04 PM
You don't need to remember shortcuts...When I join a party, or someone joins me, all I do is hit right on the D-pad twice to get a simple Hello. Just don't sweat this, people do it all the time. I tend to be less nice to them (like if a rare drops and I just joined, I wont ask who wants it) Usually when I join a party and this rare drops, and comes to me, I'll say, "hey, I just joined, anyone want this?" (example: a psychowand like a week ago). If they cant take the time to say hello (a 1 second button press wont kill anyone) I don't even bother to ask. I do say hello to everyone that joins, say congratulations to anyone that levels up, and any other nice shortcuts I have that apply to the misison :D

gratefulgriz
May 21, 2009, 04:08 PM
I have played this game for two years and have never needed to blacklist or create a thread on the forum based on rudeness. I find the PS community to be rather cooool. Though I am a casual player, I have stayed in touch with in-game friends through messenger and email. We like to exchange screenshots sometimes. I would encourage you to keep a good attitude; someone once told me "a good attitude is contagious" *winks*

Warpath
May 21, 2009, 05:02 PM
Well... yes, but guess I'm an idealistic person ;_; :P

Well, I don't want a full conversation if isn't possible (everybody needs their "fast runs without distractions" :P), but at least a bit of kindness, we're a party, we're playing together! >__< Am I asking too much? ;_;

My Wife and I always use the shortcuts for hello when someone joins and congrats shortcuts for every lvl and good rare items and sometimes we'll try to talk to some of them but we've ran into some rude people the other day my Wife and I was in a low lvl C run and some 100+ character came in and ripped through the mision and didn't say a word just joined and killed everything but yeah people needs to think about what they do when they are being rude and assish about how they pass off the community as acting like

Shivah
May 21, 2009, 05:03 PM
Considering just how far PSU has dropped on the sheer stupidity and rudeness ladder... If I join a party, I'm perfectly happy if I don't get booted at the BOSS these days. Plus, Why SHOULD I be "polite" as you say it when 90% of the random retards who join my parties don't even bother to read the comment box which usually explains a couple rules I have.

After playing this game for 2 years, I have learned that usually when new players join in a massive flux (like they do during events) they pick up tons of bad habits from the way the scummier players of this game treat new players. Stupidity begets more stupidity.

Problem is, if you try to tell a new player this after they've already been taught, "You're a noob!" Uh.. excuse me? I was trying to give pointers. You've played for all of..3 days Mr. account number 106k?"

Don't get me wrong. I've played PSU since the very beggining, and, without vanity, I consider myself a good player and fellow. I'm friend of my friends and I like to meet new people every day. I'm a serious player too, both things can work together.
But, one day, 2 years ago, I was newbie (and you too!), asking Laia Martinez where she bought her clothes haha. I found people that helped and taught me, and thanks to him now I'm the player that I want to be and love this game for the people I've met in this 2 years.

I always read the comment of every party to see if I will be welcomed or not.... and, on the other hand, I like people reading my party comment too. But if somebody enters in my party whitout reading the comment, you are never going to see me booting him without an explanation or a "Sorry, could you leave, please? You don't have enough % / level / whatever, etc" Be a serious and great PSU player is compatible with good manners. I always try to treat others the way I'd like to be treated. Is it stupid? Maybe. Am I very soft? For sure. But this is as I am, and it works.

So, please, Don't tell me I'm being rude by not saying hi to you when you join my party.
Am I paying $10 a month to put up with rudeness from you (since I haven't met you you're still a scum random), shitty customer service from Sega, and all the other bullshit that comes with this game?

In the end, be glad if you join my party, as I am fair. I may not say hello to every moron that joins my party, but I will never boot you unless its a valid reason. (Like popping in my party and begging for meseta, is that rude? Gee gosh, really?)
I WILL congratulate you when you get a super rare item (because I just like to see that stuff drop) but I'm not going to congratulate you for a Kerseline. Get over it.

You said you play in 360, right? Thanks god, you and I never will have to run together ;)

One of the best things I like about WoW is only one name can be in use on any given server. Example, someone is named "John" and plays on Server A, he is the only player there named John. So if John is rude, steals loot, or what have you, everyone knows that if they see "John", he's a jerk and shouldn't play with him. It puts a lot more incentive on being a good, respectable player.

That's one thing I love from WoW (well, and the "need before greed" system).

Kylie
May 21, 2009, 05:36 PM
If it's with randoms, I don't think it's rude of them not to talk to you. If they're ignoring you or making rude comments, that's different, but not everyone wants to talk with people they don't know. They may lack initiative, or maybe they don't believe in formalities such as greeting new party members or congratulating people after gaining a level.

6_8_10
May 21, 2009, 06:42 PM
The silent runners don't bother me much. What does annoy me-

- Boss/box booters (though I haven't seen this very often)
- People who boot as soon as you join a room (if you really want to solo, use the lock feature)
- Parties that don't hit the crystal in each block, so I end up running through two finished blocks just to catch up. Especially if they complain about people joining and then not helping.
- People who boot as soon as I join if I'm using the character whose name I entered in katakana.
-Racist idiots when I'm using aforementioned character. Though this does have its moments where I can turn it around on them and show them for the idiots they are. I'm a US citizen living in Japan, and half the time they try to be racist by using derogatory terms for Chinese or Korean, so I'm sometimes able to show them just how ignorant and idiotic they are being when they can't even get their racial epithets correct.
- People who scream, literally scream, about picking up junk. Especially when it's useful or expensive "junk". I had one guy screaming and swearing about people picking up Grinder Base S, olpad, and copernia during one of the synth/grind bonus periods when those 3 things could net you a small fortune- if I recall correctly, olpads were going for 40k at the time.
- Screaming idiocy in general. Same S-grinder junk idiot as above was yelling at me because he couldn't see around my techs. This was days after the addition of MF and 41+ techs. I'd been busy the first couple of days with work, so none of my techs were even over 40 yet.

Unit D79
May 21, 2009, 07:43 PM
Trash booters are the worse of them all. i can understand if its set in order, cause someone could easily screw you over by picking up a kerseline first, but if its on random, then just STFU already!

jShazBot
May 21, 2009, 08:19 PM

Yes I play on the 360 and I have a headset, but you know... You can only listen to high pitched squeaky kid voices for so long before you start pulling hair out.

Agreed.
I'm assuming the OP plays on PS2/PC?
I've played ALOT on the PS2/pC and Xbox 360 servers and one thing I absolutely detest about PS2/PC is how they whine soo much when someones being a jerk or they do something as petty and insignificant as not say Hello.
It's fucking ridiculous.
I find it hilarious how PS2/PC dwellers expect PSU to just be the perfect world for them. Like everyone should always say Hello to you and compliment your "capped" Character or clothes. Personally, I like Xbox 360's community much more than PS2/PC's. Though the 10-12 people that play PS2/PC are a bit unique in a way I guess, (well that's probably because their the only people there) you get a whole lot more out of playing with the Xbox 360 community probably because over there you get a much more diverse set of players. Though most of them aren't exactly the brightest people out there, their mean so what, deal with it. The world ain't perfect ya know.
When I used to troll all the time on PS2/PC out of sheer boredom and because I wanted to observe peoples reactions when confronted with a loud mouthed arrogant fool, everyone would always whine and yell about how I was such a bad person. PS2/PC is full of Sensitive, emotionally frail players that play together in very small groups because they know they wouldn't last one minute in Xbox 360 if they can't even tolerate someone like me.
Your stupid for expecting online gaming communities to actually be nice to you on the INTERWEBS.

Dark Phoenix5
May 21, 2009, 08:44 PM
i dont even know why someone would play the ps2 version over the 360 version....no fn clue lol...

Kent
May 21, 2009, 10:02 PM
i dont even know why someone would play the ps2 version over the 360 version....no fn clue lol...
Possibly because they have a PS2 and not a 360... Or they think that, since the population has twice as many systems that can access the same servers (being that they're shared with the PC version), that the population will be larger than those servers which only support a single platform.

On the subject of random internet rudeness, though? Until anonymity is stripped from the internet, including the false veil of anonymity that many believe they have, one rule will hold true:

[spoiler-box]http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2004/20040319h.jpg[/spoiler-box]

SStrikerR
May 21, 2009, 10:28 PM

I've met 10x the amount of assholes on the 360 than i've met on the ps2.
I don't need to hear little kid voices screaming in my ear, thanks.

The 360 has better games, but besides that...it blows.

thunder-ray
May 21, 2009, 10:30 PM
I dont have a problem with greeting everybody in a party. If nobody doesnt want to greet me as ive greeted them when I joinned, then its no skin off my back. I just wont bother to say anything else during the time im in the party and when I leave the party. I understand how you feel when it comes to greeting one another in a proper manner, as I was taught to greet others Ive meet. But not everyone is rasied this way and this is something your gonna have to learn to deal with.

Unit D79
May 21, 2009, 10:43 PM
just be glad the 360 has mute options striker

Dark Phoenix5
May 21, 2009, 11:30 PM
I've met 10x the amount of assholes on the 360 than i've met on the ps2.
I don't need to hear little kid voices screaming in my ear, thanks.

The 360 has better games, but besides that...it blows.

oh my bad if u were going by the demo u would be right u old gen fanboy.360 destroys ps2 dont give me any shit

Chuck_Norris
May 21, 2009, 11:53 PM
oh my bad if u were going by the demo u would be right u old gen fanboy.360 destroys ps2 dont give me any shit

The xbox is a breeding ground for complete idiots, my friend. You're a prime example. I'll stick with my server, thanks. And no, I'm not an "old gen fanboy".

Nitro Vordex
May 22, 2009, 12:50 AM
For the short time I played on the PS2/PC servers, I actually had some fun. (This was during the "free" period.) I had a few friends I could hook up with, and sometimes just messing around in lobbies was fun.

White Beast got old, but most of the parties I joined everyone was involved or doing their part. The game is a grind, yes, but sometimes the community in a game really can shine, when they aren't being total asshats.

As for people being rude, they're usually kids. Don't let them fool you into thinking their 23 or some nonsense, because then that just makes them look dumber. The kids you see on PSU are usually the ones that came from Runescape or some other shitty "my first M/MORPG" game.

Cracka_J
May 22, 2009, 07:45 AM
And no, I'm not an "old gen fanboy".

No you just a PS3 fanboy chuck :D

360 destroys ps2 dont give me any shit

and PC destroys 360 so who gives a fuck.

AC9breaker
May 22, 2009, 08:04 AM

u mad
y u mad???

Dark Phoenix5
May 22, 2009, 08:10 AM
and PC destroys 360 so who gives a fuck.[/QUOTE]

actually pc does not blw 360 away.If u believe that then u must be one of those geeks that play WoW all day cuz ur definately mistaken.

Calsetes
May 22, 2009, 08:20 AM
Guys, let's not turn this into the billionth topic about which server is better than the other. I think we can both agree they have their jerks on each and leave it at that.

As for rude people, Cracka is unfortunately right - if they pay, and they don't violate the ToS, they can be complete and utter jerkwads and there's not much the GMs can do about it. I wish people would be less rude also, but that's life - you run into some really awesome people, but you've got your fair share of warts on the posterior of society.

Edit: From a technical standpoint though, the PC is superior to the 360 (added edit to the edit: and the PS3), if only because it's upgradeable and you can change options to increase performance - i.e. game X runs slow, so you can either buy a new video card, processor, more ram, faster hard drive, etc. OR you can crank down the settings so you have a little less pretty picture, but can run it at a smooth 120 fps constantly. Also, there are mods and such for PC games, which some people like (ever see the stuff they have for Fallout 3? I like some of those custom hair and armor options). Although if you don't have the time or money to spend on upgrades and such, then a console would be a more viable choice. In terms of technical superiority though, the PC is better than any game system out right now.

Outrider
May 22, 2009, 09:13 AM
actually pc does not blw 360 away.If u believe that then u must be one of those geeks that play WoW all day cuz ur definately mistaken.

I'm sorry, can I just jump into this topic for a moment to point out that Dark Phoenix is absolutely adorable?

He's like a dog trying to walk on its hind legs.

People are going to be jerks in online games. It just happens. Mute the ones you don't want to here and preferably try to play with people you know or people from a community you trust. If you've gotta play with randoms, accept the fact that they might not talk to you for any number of reasons (most of them bad) or that they might actually talk to you but just give you crap.

It's unfortunate, but that's the reality of things. You've just gotta try and work around it.