PDA

View Full Version : Newmans - what do you rock?

Cynless
Jun 1, 2009, 01:24 PM
I just made a Newman for the hell of it, and went -- well I have three choices: MF, fT, or AT.

Who rocks a Newman that does something thats not teching? :P I always could do GT. Newman WT is just asking for trouble.

Tsavo
Jun 1, 2009, 01:30 PM
A Newm was my first character and I went FF on him too, lol. Stayed that way for a long time by covering my low ATP with high% weps and and an HPC. When I finally moved on to a Beast FF I felt like I was cheating. These days my Newm is mostly AT, might go FT in the future with the update.

autumn
Jun 1, 2009, 01:32 PM
My main is a newman fighmaster. Due to the fact that the type is powerful she does reasonably well, I just had to make sure I had decent equips (not epic gear but everything I have is at least 32%)

Zyrusticae
Jun 1, 2009, 01:33 PM
Well, I do play a Newman FF...

Really, a Newman isn't nearly as crippled when doing something outside their forte than, say, a Beast or a CAST (especially CASTs... lol CAST attack techers) is. Though of course, twice as many classes benefit from ATP as opposed to TP, so it's understandable, I think.

The difference between a Newman Female's base ATP and a Beast Male's base ATP is about 200 at level 150 - that's a 40 damage difference, hardly game-making (even with a 400% damage PA, that's 160 damage - rarely is that going to be the difference between making another hit or not). Even with the FF's 185% ATP bonus you're never going to see a difference higher than 500.

So, my newman FF does just fine. Worse than a CAST equivalent in every way (thanks to those bastards having sky-high ATP AND ATA AND Paradi Cataract), but makes up for it in sheer cuteness and awesomeness.

Cynless
Jun 1, 2009, 01:33 PM
Can ATs solo as well as fT or MFs?

_Vyser_
Jun 1, 2009, 02:00 PM
Yeah, AT can solo quite well; it's just a matter of how long it takes them. If you're a MF with all your techs 41+, then you can solo quite well as well if there are not many tech-resistant monsters.

Chuck_Norris
Jun 1, 2009, 02:22 PM
Well, I do play a Newman FF...

Really, a Newman isn't nearly as crippled when doing something outside their forte than, say, a Beast

Are you referring to a Beast gunner? Because I will gladly debate with you that a Beast Gunmaster is goddamn awesome.

Ezodagrom
Jun 1, 2009, 02:26 PM
My main is a newman AF and my second main is newman FT. ^^
I like playing with both of them. :>

NiceOnes
Jun 1, 2009, 02:27 PM
My male newman is 20 fortetecher and 20 Masterforce.

For the record I hate masterforce.

Just started to class level AcroTecher with him and I quite like it. Whips are hella fun to use against large enemies with multiple hit boxes!

By the time AT hits level 20 he should be lvl 150 at which point I will switch him back to foretecher.

I, like you have four charactr slots which means there is no damn need for my newman to be anything but a techer of sorts. He has never swung a sword or shot a gun in his existance and this is how it will stay.

Hrith
Jun 1, 2009, 02:53 PM
MF at the moment, but I will probably go back to FT, especially if that update JP got allows FT to have Lv41+ support spells...

thunder-ray
Jun 1, 2009, 03:10 PM
MF at the moment, but I will probably go back to FT, especially if that update JP got allows FT to have Lv41+ support spells...Fortetecher is getting lvl 41+ support techs? Then are AT getting a boost in there support lvl?

Seority
Jun 1, 2009, 03:13 PM
Newmans are utterly useless.
=)

(According to me ;D )

Zyrusticae
Jun 1, 2009, 03:28 PM
Are you referring to a Beast gunner? Because I will gladly debate with you that a Beast Gunmaster is goddamn awesome.

Oh, yes. Beast GMs do do rollicking good damage. But as one of my friends (who also plays a Beast GM) will tell you, paraphrased, "Beast GMs are sillier than Newman FFs; at least Newman FFs can actually hit things!"

...Mind you, this is before getting maxed out in character/type levels and picking up an Orpad / Hit. At that point it doesn't really matter what race you are.

Inazuma
Jun 1, 2009, 03:40 PM
MF at the moment, but I will probably go back to FT, especially if that update JP got allows FT to have Lv41+ support spells...

FT can't increase their support techs levels but MF can (to lv 20).

Ezodagrom
Jun 1, 2009, 03:50 PM
FT can't increase their support techs levels but MF can (to lv 20).
The TECHNIC LV+ don't affect support techs?...Hmm...I guess the light element one is really useless afterall. xD

that cast named kai
Jun 1, 2009, 03:56 PM
both my newmans petty much alternate between GT , WT, and AT, (i hate att. techs for some reason)

although i do wonder if a newman AF might be an interesting combo to play

NDW
Jun 1, 2009, 04:03 PM
I have a Newman Masterforce.

Ethateral
Jun 1, 2009, 04:34 PM
I have a Newman Masterforce.

Ditto. My main is a newman F. <3

I've played FT/AT/GT/FF/FiG on her. I prefer the teching though. She did rather well as a fighter class though. ;o I'll stick to her being my Masterforce.

Gravagar
Jun 1, 2009, 04:46 PM
My old main was a Newman FF. After a while, I went WT, then FT once I realized my tech damage was way higher than my melee damage. After that I went back to WT again though, but my PAs were all messed up because that was before deleting them saved them to discs. That character's retired for now, I decided it'd be less trouble maxing out on a new character.

My new-main (see what I did there?) is a newman FM. I have absolutely no idea why I made ANOTHER one, but I don't regret it. It is a bit more expensive because you have to shop around for good % weapons (at least 30% or GTFO), and it has the "downside" in that you have to actually be a good player to succeed. You might have to make some unorthodox choices to compensate as well. I like to use Daggas over Majarra because it's faster and leaves me less open, plus I don't feel like I'm losing all that much damage, if any at all, in the process.

tadtwisted
Jun 1, 2009, 05:00 PM

(According to me ;D )

BOOOOO you newman hater :(

mine is a masterforce at the moment so finish her spells but ill go back to fortetecher when shes done

P.S. - i'm sure seority loves newmans, and if she dosent then i have lost faith in humanity

RyuRoots
Jun 1, 2009, 05:05 PM
My main is a newman FF. I've felt from time to time that she lags behind a bit in damage, but not enough to discourage me from keeping her as she is, because it's fun. And with the recent find of a vijerina/power, she's more viable now. Indeed, a newman fighter isn't nearly as crippled as popular opinion would have you believe. The defense, though. Ouch. But hey, it's a little challenge, and lord knows this game needs some of that.

Chuck_Norris
Jun 1, 2009, 05:06 PM
Oh, yes. Beast GMs do do rollicking good damage. But as one of my friends (who also plays a Beast GM) will tell you, paraphrased, "Beast GMs are sillier than Newman FFs; at least Newman FFs can actually hit things!"

...Mind you, this is before getting maxed out in character/type levels and picking up an Orpad / Hit. At that point it doesn't really matter what race you are.

I have the lowest possible ATA of Gunmaster. Female Beast with LKK. I rarely miss my shots.

Hrith
Jun 1, 2009, 05:28 PM
Rarely as in 15% more than a cast GM (which hit rate is already far from perfect), yeah.

LLSmoothJ
Jun 1, 2009, 06:56 PM
Right now my Newman is a MF, but I plan on switching to AT to finish leveling her Buffs. Otherwise, she's an AF. Although I am considering switching her back to PT/making her into a FM.

Phaesphora
Jun 1, 2009, 07:27 PM
Sorry do disappoint, but I'll be playing techer on my Newman until game over. I never played FO on PSO, so now's my chance.

Oh and I don't have any support techs. Not even Resta. That's right.

;-)

Dragwind
Jun 1, 2009, 07:45 PM
The only somewhat non teching class I've played on my newman was WT (and yes, I got it to 20 as well, not just for MF). Her other two primary classes are fT and MF.

mvffin
Jun 1, 2009, 09:13 PM
My newman F has FT/AT/PT/AF/GT and I think FI maxed out. Working on MF, but its so terrible. Y_Y

unicorn
Jun 1, 2009, 10:40 PM
My cast was once my techer, but I just handed that job over to my Newman because its 2.5x better.

This game isn't like FFXI. The racial differences aren't small. They are statistically small for Hunter/Range types, but Beast/CAST are favored because of specials. Techer jobs are practically completely restricted to Human/Newman, and Newmans can only shine as FT/MF.

So in the end, why couldn't the types just be like PSO? Finally you can be a FOcast and RAnewm, but really, PSU gimps those combinations sooo much, it probably would be better NOT to have those options since 95% of the population won't play them anyway.

So my Newman is rocking MF just like EVERYONE else.

Justyn_Darkcrest
Jun 2, 2009, 12:00 AM
=)

(According to me ;D )
I'd love to prove you wrong some time. >.>

Darklighter
Jun 2, 2009, 12:44 AM
My guy is a gunmaster. He is not half bad at all. I was not going to have a newman at all as I hate tech dependent classes like fortetecher and masterforce and supposedly that was all newmans could do. Still I wanted one char of each race but I did not need another wartecher or acrotecher so I made him a guntecher. That was fine but just for kicks I made him a gunmaster and loved it and will probably leave him like that.

Chuck_Norris
Jun 2, 2009, 01:07 AM
Rarely as in 15% more than a cast GM (which hit rate is already far from perfect), yeah.

Hardly. I hit at least 95% of the time. Besides, the fact that a CAST GM, and a Beast GM can both miss all five shots on a shotgun shows how useful the stat is.

Zorafim
Jun 2, 2009, 01:50 AM
I thought this picture would be appropriate.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/Zorafin/P-STAR4003.jpg

Remember, Newmans first picked up a rod when casts learned how to use traps. Remember your ancestry!

cpl meza
Jun 2, 2009, 02:05 AM
There's only a hand full of really good techers. The rest of the techers out there are ok. Sure most of them have good pallet but there spells are not that good. If ur planing on making ur Newman a techer unless ur gonna be gung ho about it make it a acrotecher. Most casual ppl who have techers are Acro cause it's the easiest one

Alnet
Jun 2, 2009, 03:53 AM
Newman WT is just asking for trouble.
My favorite class with my Newman is WT, and I have a jolly good time with it, actually. :wacko:

I play fT when the party needs some stronger buffs or is composed mainly of fighters, and MF if the party has a capable person with stronger buffs than I, or if the mission has lots of robots or something. But mainly WT, because I have the ability to get rid of most enemy types with just this class.

landman
Jun 2, 2009, 04:02 AM
My newman is: Fortetecher lvl 3, Fortefighter lvl 20, wartecher lvl 20, fighguner lvl 20 and Acrofighter lvl 20. I don't like using techniks very much but using melee with her is more enjoyable than using it with my beast. And I can't wait for the Tenora RCSM I will be using as WT and AF xd

PhdChristmas
Jun 2, 2009, 04:25 AM
forget your newman, all you need are beasts and casts m&f.

Shinko
Jun 2, 2009, 04:31 AM
I made a newman FF before. But the only reason i would make a newman that's not a techer is for the looks.

Most of the time if someone's a newman that's not a techer it's cause of looks. Seeing how beast are ugly... or well let just say they don't look cute as a newman (human and cast). And Cast lack cute clothes... or just clothes all together (yea they have a VERY few)

The same can be said for playing as human period. The main reason I play with my humans is for looks. Knowing that any class i pick another race going to be better. (even in the arco classes)

SabZero
Jun 2, 2009, 07:30 AM
My guy is a gunmaster. He is not half bad at all. I was not going to have a newman at all as I hate tech dependent classes like fortetecher and masterforce and supposedly that was all newmans could do. Still I wanted one char of each race but I did not need another wartecher or acrotecher so I made him a guntecher. That was fine but just for kicks I made him a gunmaster and loved it and will probably leave him like that.

My male newman also doubles as Gunmaster and Masterforce. He's also tall and dark skinned. :yes:

SearingSorrow
Jun 2, 2009, 01:54 PM
Hardly. I hit at least 95% of the time. Besides, the fact that a CAST GM, and a Beast GM can both miss all five shots on a shotgun shows how useful the stat is.

...Really? My Cast GM has never missed all 5 shots o_O Ever. Even on high EVP monsters.

Suzuka Miyamoto
Jun 2, 2009, 02:01 PM
My newman lv150 lv20 Fortetecher and acrotecher.

By far the best classes for newman. And masterforce even though masterforce stats are trash.

Hrith
Jun 2, 2009, 04:58 PM
Hardly. I hit at least 95% of the time. Besides, the fact that a CAST GM, and a Beast GM can both miss all five shots on a shotgun shows how useful the stat is.rofl

Facts > nubs unable to notice when they miss.

The difference in hit rate between cast and beast GM is bigger than the ATP difference. Knowing how the impact on DPS of a lower hit rate is a lot more important than that of ATP, the difference is very significant.

Oh and btw, cast GM does not have 95% hit rate against Lv150+ monsters, more lulz.

milranduil
Jun 2, 2009, 07:46 PM

It's been known that this is for Masterforce only o.o

Sexy_Raine
Jun 2, 2009, 11:15 PM
My GM gets most of the attention now. As a newman all I do is Acrotecher. I greatly dislike heavy multi-classing, I don't do it because it's mostly worthless and has no reward in it I'm not going to level gimped hunter stats when my M Cast will always be better in FF/FM/FiG. If there were unique items to gain which I'm not completely outdone by the Beast or Cast, then maybe I'd consider it. Don't say Creas!

If I really wanted to be a newman Fortegunner/Gunmaster, I know I could own any mission and I don't need to prove it. I already have GM/FoG covered on my human.

VanHalen
Jun 3, 2009, 12:16 AM
Fortefighter all the way ever since Version 1.

InfiniDragon
Jun 3, 2009, 02:00 AM
Newman WT is just asking for trouble.

*Points down to sig

Newman WT has done me right so far, I'm soloing just fine and dandy. I deal enough damage, can heal/revive, and have a weapon for near any situation. He's also a max level PT, my first class with him.