PDA

View Full Version : So, you know that....

Volcompat321
Jun 2, 2009, 11:18 AM
So, you know that "pins and needles" feeling people get when their appendages "fall asleep"?
Well, my hand left hand fell asleep about 3 days ago. On the first day just my pinky finger was pins n' needles-y, now it's moved to my ring finger along with my pinky finger. WTF is happening?! Is my hand going to fall off?! Should I see a doctor, or is this somewhat normal? It doesn't hurt or anything, and I still have full use(as much as a ring and pinky finger get) of those fingers. I'm not sure how it happened. I think I was leaning on my computer desk with my elbow, and I kinda leaned on my funny bone, and that's when I noticed it getting weird feeling.
Maybe I'll call a doctor or something......What do you FKL-ers think?

Tetsaru
Jun 2, 2009, 11:37 AM
Numb for three days, huh...? I'd say maybe your hands are being overworked (carpal tunnel or arthritis, etc.), but I dunno. Have you been doing a lot of intensive lifting, gaming/computer stuff, fapping too much (lol)?

Larian
Jun 2, 2009, 11:42 AM
Has it been three days straight? Or is this an on and off kinda thing?

Volcompat321
Jun 2, 2009, 11:45 AM
Numb for three days, huh...? I'd say maybe your hands are being overworked (carpal tunnel or arthritis, etc.), but I dunno. Have you been doing a lot of intensive lifting, gaming/computer stuff, fapping too much (lol)?

Well it doesn't hurt or anything, and it's not numb. It just feels like the pins n' needles thing. No heavy lifting, flopping (lol) or any other gaming out of the ordinary. ( I mean, I play PSU with a PS3 controller) but that's it.

Has it been three days straight? Or is this an on and off kinda thing?

Yes, 3 days straight. Today being the third day...The feeling progressed to my ring finger this morning. Which is why I'm kinda like..."uh wtf".

Tetsaru
Jun 2, 2009, 11:53 AM
I dunno man... sounds like something nerve or bloodflow related to me... dunno what else would make it feel that way. O_o;

Volcompat321
Jun 2, 2009, 11:58 AM
Yea, me either. When I put my elbow down I hit the corner of my desk, and it's kinda sharp, I hit my funny bone, and that's when it went pins n' needley. I'll just wait a few more days, if my hand hasn't fallen off by then, or doesn't turn black from no blood flow or something, I'll just leave it. I'm sure it will go back to normal someday soon.

Anyway, I'm going to bed now.....Hopefully when I wake up my hand will be normal, and it wouldn't have progressed to my middle finger :o

Outrider
Jun 2, 2009, 12:52 PM
Yeah, when you've lost feeling in your left hand and it hasn't fully returned within three days, going to see a doctor probably isn't the worst idea in the world.

Shadowpawn
Jun 2, 2009, 03:57 PM
Sounds like you damaged a nerve. Go see a doctor now before it gets worse and pray that damage isn't permanent.

HUnewearl_Meira
Jun 2, 2009, 04:45 PM
If the numb part of your arm remains warm to the touch, then you (thankfully) are not having a circulatory problem-- if the circulation to your arm was cut off, then after three days, you'd probably need to have it amputated. It'd be dead, rotting flesh. So if your arm is staying warm and apparently has a pulse, then you probably have some sort of nerve damage. Either way, if you want your arm to remain useful to you, then it is strongly advised that you see your physician. Your arm should never remain numb for more than a few minutes. Ever.

Furthermore: In the future, it is suggested that you go to a doctor for medical advice, rather than Fresh Kills Landfill.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 2, 2009, 06:11 PM
No Volcompat, you are the zombies.

Volcompat321
Jun 2, 2009, 07:15 PM
If the numb part of your arm remains warm to the touch, then you (thankfully) are not having a circulatory problem-- if the circulation to your arm was cut off, then after three days, you'd probably need to have it amputated. It'd be dead, rotting flesh. So if your arm is staying warm and apparently has a pulse, then you probably have some sort of nerve damage. Either way, if you want your arm to remain useful to you, then it is strongly advised that you see your physician. Your arm should never remain numb for more than a few minutes. Ever.

Furthermore: In the future, it is suggested that you go to a doctor for medical advice, rather than Fresh Kills Landfill.

It's not numb, it's just tingly
I'd rather not use my insurance and have to pay a small fee(no matter how small it may be, it's still money) to have someone tell me to "take it easy, see how it feels in a few days".
I came to the FKL to see if anyone has had this uh, problem before.

No Volcompat, you are the zombies.
Oh shit, get out the shotguns!

HUnewearl_Meira
Jun 2, 2009, 09:52 PM
The numbness of a limb can be a very, very serious thing. It could be a heart problem, it could be a circulatory problem, cholesterol, nervous system problems, blood clotting issues-- any of these things could kill you if left unaddressed, and if you avoid death, they will still have a tremendous impact on your quality of life. If that's worth saving $25 to $40 to you, then by all means, wait three days-- wait a week.

There are a number of medical conditions that are not significant. A small cut on your finger. It can easily be cleaned and bandaged, without the need to consult a physician. A small bruise on your leg can generally be ignored, under the assumption that it will go away. A mosquito bite can also be assumed to heal normally, on its own. Just the same, numbness can be expected to go away with the return of blood flow to that body part. These things are normal. Numbness that lasts well outside of an hour, however, is cause for alarm.

Volcompat321
Jun 2, 2009, 09:57 PM
It's not numb...It's still warm to the touch, not mis-colored or anything. Just tingly..

Firocket1690
Jun 2, 2009, 10:57 PM
Stop fapping.

.. and go see your doc. :/

SpikeOtacon
Jun 2, 2009, 11:53 PM
You waited for three days?

Man go see a doctor quick.

Vanzazikon
Jun 3, 2009, 02:49 AM
You waited for three days?

Man go see a doctor quick.FOCL.

Volcompat321
Jun 3, 2009, 02:58 AM
I'm alright, there's nothing wrong I don't think. It still has that feeling, going on day 4 now.
IT'S NOT NUMB, DIS-COLORED, OR HURTING, just tingly. So don't tell me my shit's gonna fall off lol. I have an appointment to see a doctor tomorrow to check it out. I'll update when I find out wtf is up.

Outrider
Jun 3, 2009, 10:13 AM
I'm alright, there's nothing wrong I don't think.

Well, you're the doctor. After all, it's not like anybody has ever had something weird happen to their body, assume that it's nothing, only to have it get worse because they didn't go to a doctor immediately.

OH WAIT THAT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME.

(Actually, my boss hurt her finger playing football a few weeks back. She bought a metal finger splint for it, since the last time she hurt her finger like that and went to the doctor, all they did was give her one of those. But it kept hurting her, so finally a week or so later, she went to the doctor. He said, "WTF, it's broken in three places, why didn't you come right away?")

Volcompat321
Jun 3, 2009, 11:00 AM
] I have an appointment to see a doctor tomorrow to check it out. I'll update when I find out wtf is up.

This. I'm no doctor, that's why I'm going, in about 2 hours...

astuarlen
Jun 3, 2009, 11:04 AM
I realize you're all about the DIY, but stop sticking pins in it and get a real pincushion.
[spoiler-box]
http://www.wardi.dk/craftblogimages/pincushion01.jpg[/spoiler-box]