PDA

View Full Version : Goddamn, the 360's fucking loud.

Chuck_Norris
Jun 10, 2009, 04:53 PM
I just got my Xbox yesterday. I heard that it was loud, but sheesh, it's like I have a small vehicle running in my room. I don't think even my original Xbox made this much noise.

amtalx
Jun 10, 2009, 04:54 PM
Install your games to the HD yo.

thunder-ray
Jun 10, 2009, 04:55 PM
Well look on the bright side aleast it works ^^;

Chuck_Norris
Jun 10, 2009, 05:26 PM
Well look on the bright side aleast it works ^^;

We'll see how long that lasts. It's only 2 days old. :disapprove:

Nitro Vordex
Jun 10, 2009, 07:12 PM
Install your games to the HD yo.
This. That way the Xblox doesn't have to work as hard.

Unless you're running PSU, then you're kinda screwed.

Powder Keg
Jun 10, 2009, 07:48 PM
Yeah, it can sound like a leaf blower at times.

What size HDD didja get? I know the Pros come with 60GB now, which would've been nice for me...I can only install like 1 or 2 games at a time. :(

SpikeOtacon
Jun 10, 2009, 07:52 PM
Yeah, do the installation route if you have the hard drive space to spare, especially if you plan on dedicating yourself to one game for a while. It makes a world of a difference for the noise factor, reduces heat (at least i've found), and can improve load times.

Welcome to the world of 360, Chuck mah boi.

Phaesphora
Jun 11, 2009, 12:24 AM
Not nearly as loud as Dreamcast, IMO.

beatrixkiddo
Jun 11, 2009, 12:50 AM
This. That way the Xblox doesn't have to work as hard.

Unless you're running PSU, then you're kinda screwed.

I'm not 100% sure as I haven't been playing 360 PSU much, but since the expansion is downloaded and the PC/PS2 versions are standalone, I THINK AotI 360 runs just off the HDD. Could be wrong though.

What everyone so far said is true, try installing. Not only does it lessen the wear on your DVD drive, it lowers the noise, and makes loading usually quicker.

If it's new I wouldn't think it would be anything else, like fans wearing out. Mine is loud too, but it's also 3 years old (and somehow still going :3)

Nitro Vordex
Jun 11, 2009, 12:52 AM
Not nearly as loud as Dreamcast, IMO.
Even now, it's still thinking.

RIP Dreamcast.

Chuck_Norris
Jun 11, 2009, 12:57 AM

What size HDD didja get? I know the Pros come with 60GB now, which would've been nice for me...I can only install like 1 or 2 games at a time. :(

But even so, what kinda console needs THAT powerful of a fan to keep cool? Probably doubles the electricity the 360 would use. c.c;

beatrixkiddo
Jun 11, 2009, 01:03 AM

Yeah, I'm stuck with the 20GB from the old old old old $499 version... :/

Unit D79
Jun 11, 2009, 02:38 AM
strange, mine barely makes any noise at all. then again, i did send it in a month ago when i got e74ed. thank god that happened when it was free ^^

Weeaboolits
Jun 11, 2009, 06:27 AM
My experience with the console has had any sounds it makes being drowned out by the fans with the power brick, although, to be honest I pay more attention to the sound of the game, rather than the game console. Unless I'm playing the Dreamcast, that thing was mighty.

amtalx
Jun 11, 2009, 08:48 AM
Yeah, I'm stuck with the 20GB from the old old old old $499 version... :/

Weren't Pros $399 at launch?

Volcompat321
Jun 11, 2009, 09:37 AM
I don't have problems with noise either...It works just fine too. Lucky I guess?

beatrixkiddo
Jun 11, 2009, 11:48 AM
Weren't Pros $399 at launch?

Pretty sure the core was 399, pro was 499.

amtalx
Jun 11, 2009, 12:18 PM
Only Sony would charge such ridiculous prices! Haha, well I got my Pro for $399. Hope you didn't get ripped. D:

Nitro Vordex
Jun 11, 2009, 01:01 PM
Also, try putting a fan on it. It helps the fans in the bawks work less and gives you about an hour or two more of playing time.

Volcompat321
Jun 11, 2009, 01:04 PM
gives you about an hour or two more of playing time.

There's a time limit to playing games on the 360?!

amtalx
Jun 11, 2009, 01:11 PM
Be careful about supplementary fans. Moar fans != Better airflow. Some of the after market attachments will actually increase the internal temperature of your 360 and shorten the life of the console because they starve the internal fans of air.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 11, 2009, 01:21 PM
I mean an actual outside fan, not the ones you attach to it.

And by time, I mean how safe you feel for playing it. Since my room is usually about 80 degrees, I only play my Xbox for about 3 or 4 hours if I feel like it. If I've got a fan on it, it usually doesn't get as hot.

Volcompat321
Jun 11, 2009, 02:11 PM
Oh ok, I see what you mean. I did the same thing to my old laptop. It would burn up, even with a fan on the bottom. The fans were located in spots that were so retarded....ugh..

Kent
Jun 11, 2009, 07:23 PM
I never really thought of my 360 as being noisy - possibly because it, you know, isn't.

Like any high-end computer, it makes its share of noise and blows its share of hot air (and uses approximately the same amount of electricity as a small military installation), but it's not really all that loud, even with games that I don't have installed to the HDD.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 11, 2009, 09:44 PM
Also, probably shouldn't sit right next to the 360.

I've heard it rev up a few times, but that's probably because of taxing things on screen. (E.G. going way too fast in GTA IV, just figure what the damn game has to render.)

DreXxiN
Jun 12, 2009, 02:04 AM
I assume it's working hard because of how rediculously things are antialiased on the 360. It's very nice, and oftentimes makes games look better on the 360 than the PS3, even though the later is superior technology, spec wise (Except for maybe shaders.)

The external fan idea is good, I use it on my PC with an open case actually. I don't need to on my PS3 since it doesn't have heating issues, but I'd recommend it for sure for 360.