PDA

View Full Version : Weightloss: The Lack of It.

Leviathan
Jun 18, 2009, 07:58 PM
I've been dieting since I got off of school almost a month ago. I've cut soda, and all sorts of bad stuff out of my diet. I eat pretty healthy now and I even lift some weights.

Only problem?

I've lost TWO POUNDS.

This has pissed me off so much! I've been doing so much to lose weight, and nothing absolutely nothing has come out of it.

Everyone else can just cut off soda and lose weight instantaneously.

I actually have to work at it.

I do NOT want to hear anyone say that "I'm perfectly fine" or anything like that. As far as I am concerned I am pretty fat. My stomach sticks out an inch and it's becoming increasingly hard to find jeans that fit.

DreXxiN
Jun 18, 2009, 08:09 PM
I'm sorry to hear about what's been going on. =(

Try eating 5 small meals a day rather than 2-3 large meals a day.

Always eat breakfast.

You didn't specify if you were excercising or not so try that regularly, don't let your schedule get outta hand if you can help it. You specified you lifted weights, but try some cardiovasculars or all around excercises (Jogging and swimming are great, among other things that don't need to be discusses here >_>)

Are you taking vitamin supplements? Are you substituting cheese for other things if you love that sorta thing and using low fat margarine instead of butter?

Remember that muscle is a heavier substance than fat, so if you really have been lifting weights, you might have lost more "weight" then you imagine.

Set realistic goals for yourself, like a quota you want to lose over a period of time consistently. Try eating Wheat bread instead of White bread..carbs FTL D=

Also play some high-action intense games, adrenaline burns calories! >=D (We're all gamers here, right? =P)

Last but not least do NOT compare yourself to others, keep focused on self-goals onry. Best of luck, and sorry again. You can do it! :P

Tetsaru
Jun 18, 2009, 08:17 PM
Now, I'm no health nut, and I'm rather chubby myself, but I think you probably need to do more aerobic-type activity: running/walking/jogging, playing sports, dancing... stuff that gets you moving around. If all you're doing is lifting weights, that's just going to give you more muscle (and muscle weighs more than fat, btw), and only if you're pushing yourself as far as what you can lift or move. I usually end up losing some weight during the summer when marching band season starts up at the beginning of the semester at my college due to all the moving around while carrying a huge drum in front of me in 100-degree weather, lol. X_X

Other than that, it may just be a genetic thing. Not trying to delve into any personal information here, but has your family had a history of weight problems? You could always consult a doctor, y'know.

Powder Keg
Jun 18, 2009, 08:20 PM
Baby steps. Just keep at it.

Besides, it's unhealthy to lose weight at a very fast rate.

Anduril
Jun 18, 2009, 08:25 PM
I'm sorry to hear about what's been going on. =(

Try eating 5 small meals a day rather than 2-3 large meals a day.

Always eat breakfast.

You didn't specify if you were excercising or not so try that regularly, don't let your schedule get outta hand if you can help it. You specified you lifted weights, but try some cardiovasculars or all around excercises (Jogging and swimming are great, among other things that don't need to be discusses here >_>)

Are you taking vitamin supplements? Are you substituting cheese for other things if you love that sorta thing and using low fat margarine instead of butter?

Remember that muscle is a heavier substance than fat, so if you really have been lifting weights, you might have lost more "weight" then you imagine.

Set realistic goals for yourself, like a quota you want to lose over a period of time consistently. Try eating Wheat bread instead of White bread..carbs FTL D=

Also play some high-action intense games, adrenaline burns calories! >=D (We're all gamers here, right? =P)

Last but not least do NOT compare yourself to others, keep focused on self-goals onry. Best of luck, and sorry again. You can do it! :P

I totally agree with this. Just as a suggestion, if you are not used to eating breakfast (just like many people nowadays), just have a pack of plain oatmeal in the morning; it really helps cut down the cravings for higher calorie foods through out the day. Also, cardio is really what helps get rid of the fat; I would recommend first focusing on cardio, then as you lose more body fat move on to weights.
I, too, have been trying to lose weight, and was able to lose about 23 pounds in the past month and a half.
I'll spoiler box how I did it, just for space's sake.
[spoiler-box]
Breakfast: Either oatmeal, or scrambled egg whites, using just enough olive oil to prevent sticking.
Lunch: Turkey or tuna salad sandwich using mustard, no mayo, on whole grain bread.
Dinner: Chicken or Fish prepared in any way, as long as it isn't fried or cooked in excess amount of oil or grease.
Obviously, vegetables are thrown in there as side dishes for the dinner, and lettuce and tomatoes(the kinda-vegetable) for the sandwiches. All of my in between meal snacks are just fresh blueberries or apples, since they don't contain very much sugar compared to other fruits.
As for exercise, I do a light jog for 30 minutes every other day.
One big thing, I drink lots of water now, nothing else, just water.
I do indulge myself on Sundays as a "cheating" day, but I found that I'm eating in much more reasonable portions even with less healthy foods.
Also, a lot of the weight I initially started to lose was from bloating, and excretory backup. Since starting this meal plan, I've been exceedingly regular, and have been losing an average of 1 or 2 pounds every week, and I actually have more energy.[/spoiler-box]

Oh, sweet lord. I sound like one those those ads for some "miracle" diet. -.-;

pikachief
Jun 18, 2009, 08:43 PM
when it comes to this subject i always think...

Eating small healthy snacks throughout the day can help your metabolism, so does eating breakfast, and not eating before you go to bed, cuz when u sleep your body sleeps and you dont digest very well :/

Also do you walk everyday? If not you should just take a walk around the block or go somewhere walking or if you have a dog walk your dog around the neighborhood everyday or something :)

(also did u try counting calories? :/ i know its hard at times and i hate even watching my family do it, but it helps :/ even if your eating healthy food, it doesnt mean your going below the needed calorie intake of 2000 )

DreXxiN
Jun 18, 2009, 08:44 PM
Agreed with Anduril. If weight really concerns you, your goal is going to be a change of dietary lifestyle, not a "Diet." A "Diet" sounds like something you'll give up on and just go right back to gaining weight when you feel you're "accomplished."

Also, I know sometimes we love butter, and sugar and stuff. But it really boils down to what concerns you more, which in the end for you, I believe is fat. Is it REALLY worth a marginally better tasting meal to slow down your weight-losing process?

pikachief
Jun 18, 2009, 08:48 PM
Agreed with Anduril. If weight really concerns you, your goal is going to be a change of dietary lifestyle, not a "Diet." A "Diet" sounds like something you'll give up on and just go right back to gaining weight when you feel you're "accomplished."

Also, I know sometimes we love butter, and sugar and stuff. But it really boils down to what concerns you more, which in the end for you, I believe is fat. Is it REALLY worth a marginally better tasting meal to slow down your weight-losing process?

yes!! sometimes i just eat straight butter, sugar, and stuff! :D

i agree 100% with drexxin ^^

thunder-ray
Jun 18, 2009, 08:50 PM

Also, I know sometimes we love butter, and sugar and stuff. But it really boils down to what concerns you more, which in the end for you, I believe is fat. Is it REALLY worth a marginally better tasting meal to slow down your weight-losing process?I secound this. This is also the same reason why I quit eating ice cream (I do however eat ice cream on birthdays and chirstmas, gotta wait 4 more months before I can get some >_<). *uses will power to keep from going to the ice cream store*.

Anduril
Jun 18, 2009, 09:00 PM
Yeah, having the will power is one of the bigger struggles I had when I started. I went through a pretty nasty mood change in the first week because I was so used to having processed sugar everyday, and had to fight with myself to make sure I didn't start lapsing into old habits. I'm still having the old urges to sit down in front of the TV with a bag of chips and soda, or to have a bowl of cereal before bed, but I've been able to stay the course.

furrypaws
Jun 18, 2009, 09:14 PM
One thing to keep in mind is fat in itself is not bad. Your body should have some fat (nutrient) to operate. You can get healthy fats from fish, avocados, nuts, etc.

Plus, you gotta watch some of the scams companies pull. For instance, low fat. If it says low fat, but it has the same calorie content as regular fat products (I'm looking at you Fig Newtons) or even only slightly lower, go for the regular version. Fat metabolizes slower, keeping your metabolism in check, unlike the low fat, which subsitutes the flavor fat used to have with sugar, which spikes your metabolism, which then crashes, which makes you hungry.

We can all give you tips, but only you know what works best for you. Just stay vigilant, and remember, two pounds lost is better than two pounds gained. ;D

zwandude15
Jun 18, 2009, 10:28 PM
My old Human Anatomy teacher used to tell all the girls in the class:

"Eat less, exercise more, drink more water."

I find that I lose weight when I play games, because I lose the urge to eat.
So maybe you aren't playing PSO enough. :]

I've been the same weight since sophomore year, and I can't
say that I do a lot of exercising, I owe everything to metabolism.
But I will say that I drink a LOT (not alcohol), and eat close to nothing every day.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 18, 2009, 11:07 PM
Remember that muscle is a heavier substance than fat,
Denser, not heavier.

(and muscle weighs more than fat, btw),
See previous statement.

Baby steps. Just keep at it.

Besides, it's unhealthy to lose weight at a very fast rate.
This. Losing weight does NOT happen overnight. 2 pounds a month isn't bad. But you could do better. BE SAFE ABOUT IT.

One thing to keep in mind is fat in itself is not bad. Your body should have some fat (nutrient) to operate. You can get healthy fats from fish, avocados, nuts, etc.

Plus, you gotta watch some of the scams companies pull. For instance, low fat. If it says low fat, but it has the same calorie content as regular fat products (I'm looking at you Fig Newtons) or even only slightly lower, go for the regular version. Fat metabolizes slower, keeping your metabolism in check, unlike the low fat, which subsitutes the flavor fat used to have with sugar, which spikes your metabolism, which then crashes, which makes you hungry.

We can all give you tips, but only you know what works best for you. Just stay vigilant, and remember, two pounds lost is better than two pounds gained. ;D
This is great.

Also, like someone else said., drink lots of water. LOTS of water. Nothing else. Milk is okay, but watch it. Anything else is no. Juice, I would recommend orange juice. Not a cocktail, and not that watered down stuff with vitamin C added. Just good old orange juice.

Diet is not necessary. Changing your eating habits can actually be really easy. Change out candy or chips with your favorite fruit. If you must have some kind of "soda", take a mostly full cup of juice and add a very small amount of carbonated water. Cereal is also a good thing. If you eat something before bed time, it isn't good for you. But, eating a bowl of cereal is actually really good for you. I forgot why, but it gives you a nice boost in the morning. If it doesn't work for you, don't do it.

For exercising, you don't have to destroy yourself constantly. Get something that you actually like doing. Chances are, if you like a certain workout, you'll do it more often. For me, that's biking. I really love doing it, and when you go out in 100+ degree weather, you burn a lot of energy. Again, water is a must for any exercise. Gatorade, I really don't like, and I'll tell you why. Electrolytes are indeed good, but like anything, you can have too many. Water is important because your stomach won't have to work to filter out all the stuff in Gatorade, such as food coloring and High fructose corn syrup. When you exercise, be sure to give yourself a break as well, there's no point in it if you hurt yourself. Don't be nonchalant about it either though, push yourself, and then give yourself a nice break.

If I can think of more, I will. And to be honest, I don't like the idea of smaller more constant meals, because then you'll get into the habit of just constantly eating. Eat a good sized breakfast, because that's when your metabolism is at it's highest. A big lunch is okay, but not too big. Couple snacks are good between that and dinner. A big problem is big dinners. Chances are you eat at about 6 or later, and end up not doing anything, or even going to sleep. This doesn't help you in any way. A lighter dinner is a good idea.

Follow these, and you can certainly lose weight. Just keep at it Levi. Don't be disheartened by all those skinny twigs. >:U That's the result of not eating anything, and that's never good.

TL;DR: Health mini essay, keep at it.

DreXxiN
Jun 18, 2009, 11:16 PM
Denser, not heavier.

See previous statement.

This. Losing weight does NOT happen overnight. 2 pounds a month isn't bad. But you could do better. BE SAFE ABOUT IT.

This is great.

Also, like someone else said., drink lots of water. LOTS of water. Nothing else. Milk is okay, but watch it. Anything else is no. Juice, I would recommend orange juice. Not a cocktail, and not that watered down stuff with vitamin C added. Just good old orange juice.

Diet is not necessary. Changing your eating habits can actually be really easy. Change out candy or chips with your favorite fruit. If you must have some kind of "soda", take a mostly full cup of juice and add a very small amount of carbonated water. Cereal is also a good thing. If you eat something before bed time, it isn't good for you. But, eating a bowl of cereal is actually really good for you. I forgot why, but it gives you a nice boost in the morning. If it doesn't work for you, don't do it.

For exercising, you don't have to destroy yourself constantly. Get something that you actually like doing. Chances are, if you like a certain workout, you'll do it more often. For me, that's biking. I really love doing it, and when you go out in 100+ degree weather, you burn a lot of energy. Again, water is a must for any exercise. Gatorade, I really don't like, and I'll tell you why. Electrolytes are indeed good, but like anything, you can have too many. Water is important because your stomach won't have to work to filter out all the stuff in Gatorade, such as food coloring and High fructose corn syrup. When you exercise, be sure to give yourself a break as well, there's no point in it if you hurt yourself. Don't be nonchalant about it either though, push yourself, and then give yourself a nice break.

If I can think of more, I will. And to be honest, I don't like the idea of smaller more constant meals, because then you'll get into the habit of just constantly eating. Eat a good sized breakfast, because that's when your metabolism is at it's highest. A big lunch is okay, but not too big. Couple snacks are good between that and dinner. A big problem is big dinners. Chances are you eat at about 6 or later, and end up not doing anything, or even going to sleep. This doesn't help you in any way. A lighter dinner is a good idea.

Follow these, and you can certainly lose weight. Just keep at it Levi. Don't be disheartened by all those skinny twigs. >:U That's the result of not eating anything, and that's never good.

TL;DR: Health mini essay, keep at it.

Yes, denser that's true, but the scale doesn't know the difference, lol. When I don't gain any actually fat but work out, my weight happens to go up (yes I'm taking into consideration the fact that you fluctuate weight throughout the day).

Keeping healthy is all about habit, so actually if you are good at doing such, then small meals a day will be good for you. What Nitro stated is true though, you just have to not let yourself fall into the habit of justifying eating all the time as "Well I'm just eating very often so that's better than eating a lot at a time!"

You're mind will try to give you as many excuses as it can if you're not much of a health freak, you'll probably just have to work at ignoring them.

EDIT: I'd like to add different things work for different people, but I'd like to consider myself decently in shape (though slacking a bit) With what I use and it's worked for most of the group I work out with. Good luck again.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 18, 2009, 11:32 PM
Yes, denser that's true, but the scale doesn't know the difference, lol. When I don't gain any actually fat but work out, my weight happens to go up (yes I'm taking into consideration the fact that you fluctuate weight throughout the day).
Well, muscles just doesn't get heavier, it's mostly because it's warmed up and taking in more nutrients, and tearing and mending at the same time. So yeah, it is gaining in mass, haha.

EDIT: I'd like to add different things work for different people, but I'd like to consider myself decently in shape (though slacking a bit) With what I use and it's worked for most of the group I work out with. Good luck again.
Yes, this is always important. Information is never universal, it's only a guideline.

Leviathan
Jun 18, 2009, 11:48 PM
Any exercise recommendations besides running [Left knee buckles.], biking [Broken.], and swimming? [A maybe,if I'm not to tired from work.]

I do enjoy weight lifting.

DreXxiN
Jun 18, 2009, 11:50 PM
Could always do Dancing and Taebo (Harder than it appears, beware).

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=DD99AD0B711769C2&search_query=Tae+Bo

Good workouts in my opinion.

amtalx
Jun 18, 2009, 11:51 PM
Anything with a full body workout is good. Most people recommend swimming; however, I hate water so I go rock climbing. You'll burn a ton of calories doing either of those. That's really more important than anything else. I don't eat all that well, but I stay active and burn a lot of calories.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 18, 2009, 11:54 PM
Yes, rock climbing is excellent!

Also, working out could result in this.

http://media.buzzhumor.com/7/muscle-woman-bodybuilder5ee81f.jpg

That's a hell of a woman. ._.

beatrixkiddo
Jun 19, 2009, 02:01 AM
[A maybe,if I'm not to tired from work.]

:disapprove:

I know you're not a closer, how can you be tired from working at Subway?

SabZero
Jun 19, 2009, 03:40 AM
I've been dieting since I got off of school almost a month ago. I've cut soda, and all sorts of bad stuff out of my diet. I eat pretty healthy now and I even lift some weights.

Only problem?

I've lost TWO POUNDS.

Well, it could be that fat is being replaced by muscles. Muscles weigh more too IIRC. Also, how long since you've changed your habits? Weight also fluctuates alot over a month and your body wil take a little while to get with the program ;)

Fat on your stomach (the omentum) is indeed what you want to reduce, because it will start producing hormones that will make you want to increase fat even more.

So keep it up! Get your blood pressure measured, and maybe a blood screen if you're concerned about some physical problem that may make it harder.

Leviathan
Jun 19, 2009, 10:08 AM
:disapprove:

I know you're not a closer, how can you be tired from working at Subway?

I use to close! :wacko:

Something about being worn out by lunch rush.
I'm such a baby. :disapprove:

Outrider
Jun 19, 2009, 10:12 AM
Any exercise recommendations besides running [Left knee buckles.], biking [Broken.], and swimming? [A maybe,if I'm not to tired from work.]

Well, if you join a gym, I know people love the elliptical machine. Of course, gyms can be stupidly expensive, so I can understand why you might not want to do that.

I'd definitely suggest dancing, though - my girlfriend uses a Zumba dancing DVD all the time and it's helped her get in better shape (she also loves it, which helps.)

thunder-ray
Jun 19, 2009, 10:22 AM
Yes, rock climbing is excellent!

Also, working out could result in this.

http://media.buzzhumor.com/7/muscle-woman-bodybuilder5ee81f.jpg

That's a hell of a woman. ._.Holyshit! I wouldnt want to piss her off >.>

Sekani
Jun 19, 2009, 07:07 PM

Stomach crunches and other abdominally-targeted exercises sound like what you want to focus on. Above all though you really should find something that you can do which will get your heart rate up.

Leviathan
Jun 20, 2009, 06:41 PM
RE: Why is being fat bad?

If you just take a knife to your belly you can skip the doctor.

Wrong topic, horrible troll, etc.

Lance813
Jun 20, 2009, 09:31 PM
You should get an ab belt. I've always wanted one.

Gentlemen
Jun 20, 2009, 09:39 PM
There's this little thing called growing up that teens do. They actually grow taller, gain weight and develop up until their mid twenties. Who knew? Buy bigger clothing because you won't stop growing for a while. You should focus on how you look, not how much you weigh. If you look nice you shouldn't worry about your exact weight.

SabZero
Jun 21, 2009, 04:23 AM
Oh yeah, if you're still a teenager, don't sweat it too much, especially for girls. It's quite normal for girl teens to be chubby. Not obese though. Everything in moderation.

AC9breaker
Jun 22, 2009, 07:24 AM
Masturbation is good for weight loss!

SabZero
Jun 22, 2009, 07:35 AM
Not really. But it is healthy.

UnderscoreX
Jun 25, 2009, 09:23 AM
Weight lifting is terrible for losing weight, crunches / sit ups don't do anything unless you get rid of the fat covering your stomach first - all you're doing is working out the muscles under the fat.

Cardio is what you need to do to lose weight, eat less run more. You said you can't run for whatever reason, so try walking. Do you walk to work ? School ? If you don't you should. Wear an iPod and play your favourite music, you'll get lost in your world and you can walk for hours without even noticing.

SabZero
Jun 25, 2009, 09:38 AM
Weight lifting is terrible for losing weight, crunches / sit ups don't do anything unless you get rid of the fat covering your stomach first - all you're doing is working out the muscles under the fat.

Cardio is what you need to do to lose weight, eat less run more. You said you can't run for whatever reason, so try walking. Do you walk to work ? School ? If you don't you should. Wear an iPod and play your favourite music, you'll get lost in your world and you can walk for hours without even noticing.

Eh. Strength training is also good for your bones, so dismissing it completely isn't a good idea. Also, muscles burn calories more then fat, so their existense alone will help.

It might not be good for losing *weight*, but it sure helps with losing *fat*.

All other common sense apply.

stukasa
Jun 27, 2009, 12:09 PM
I didn't have time to read every post in this thread (sorry about that) so I don't know if this has been mentioned already, but strictly in terms of weight loss, 1000 calories worth of fruit = 1000 calories worth of candy. You said you've been eating healthier, but have you been watching your caloric intake? If those healthier foods still add up to a lot of calories, you won't lose much weight. Be careful not to overcompensate and cut your calorie intake too much, otherwise your body will respond by slowing your metabolism (or something like that). Instead, try to figure out approximately how many calories you're getting a day now, and gradually lower that amount. There's a lot more to health than weight, but if you're only concerned about weight, calories are what you need to pay attention to: 1) how many you consume daily, and 2) how many you burn off through physical activities.

Chuck_Norris
Jun 27, 2009, 02:43 PM
Masturbation is good for weight loss!

I wholeheartedly agree with this statement. :wacko:

OrangeTippedGun
Jun 27, 2009, 07:28 PM
Lol I have a really fast metabolism. I can't even get fat if I tried. XD
Though I was a little chubby in Elementary School and for a little bit in 6th grade, >:I I've been working out since I got into high school and I used to be in Marching Band but now I have track and field and football keeping me in shape. ^^ Though I know as slim and awesome as I look now once I reach age 30 I'm gonna have a beer belly and a huge bald spot on my head like my old man. :-(
Better enjoy my youth. :/

Leviathan
Jun 27, 2009, 10:31 PM
I watched what I have been eating overall it believe it is the sodas that have doomed me.

I plan on doing some walking when the temperature lowers a considerable amount since it's 100 degrees daily.

The best I can do is run around the house. Which I've done for a few days.

Update: -5 lbs. I'm getting there! 30 more to go. :wacko:

Rasputin
Jun 27, 2009, 11:34 PM
You walk in the heat to sweat away the pounds. Wear a sweater like the wresters who are trying to make weight.

Lance813
Jun 28, 2009, 08:33 PM
Wear a sweater like the wresters who are trying to make weight.

I did that!

Yeah, don't... You'll wake up in the hospital with your kidneys failing...

SabZero
Jun 29, 2009, 07:31 AM
Yea, don't try stupid tricks, they'll get you nowhere you want to be.

Volcompat321
Jun 29, 2009, 08:19 AM
What I do is drink about 2 gallons of water a day. Run, either at home or around my neighborhood, work out every 2-3 days(at least 4 times a week, if schedule is open to it)
Cut out soda, fast food, and "unhealthy" foods. (I still eat some good ass food, not all healthy food is necessarily nasty. I definitely don't eat "health nut foods".)
Eat 4-6 small meals daily, always eat breakfast. Eating breakfast kick starts your metabolism, and eating 4-6 small meals a day keeps it active.

Last year I weighed 240 or so, I'm just under 6 feet, (5'11'').
This year I'm down to 200, which is healthy for my height and build.
It may take some time, but it will happen.
To lose fast weight, try Hydroxycut (not always a good product). My friend took that stuff for about 4 months, went from 270-230, while exercising as much as a big dude like that can.
Make sure you don't build muscle over fat, that can be bad.
I got lucky, I get a free gym membership from my insurance, Health First.
I joined the gym and took an hour "class" and talked to a trainer that worked at the gym.
We worked a schedule and regimen for daily-weekly work-outs. So far it's worked great, and I am continuing to lose weight (at a slower pace now).
Good luck to ya Levi :D

Outrider
Jun 29, 2009, 09:02 AM
To lose fast weight, try Hydroxycut (not always a good product). My friend took that stuff for about 4 months, went from 270-230, while exercising as much as a big dude like that can.

Or, you know, you could NOT use Hydroxycut, seeing as the FDA warns people against using it due to the product causing severe liver damage: http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm152152.htm

All I'm saying is it's probably not the best idea.

Volcompat321
Jun 29, 2009, 09:09 AM
Well, there was a recall for it.
The earlier years of that product had some decent-good results. (like for my friend)
I'm not saying it's good or best for everyone, but it did help a friend :D
I think I'd much rather work out and run. It gives me something to do. :o

Leviathan
Jun 29, 2009, 10:26 AM
I know better than to follow a moronic troll's idea [Rasputin] or take pills.

I stumbled upon a military website and I think I will try some of that.

Volcompat321
Jun 29, 2009, 10:32 AM
You know, I would give up almost anything to go into a military boot camp, if I didn't actually join the military.
Do those exist? (yea, I'm being serious)
I mean I want the full military boot camp experience, people yelling at you and all.
I know it'd be tough, but it would be so worth it.
What do ya think, should we make our own FKL lose weight boot camp? I think we got a money maker here.

SabZero
Jun 29, 2009, 10:46 AM
What I do is drink about 2 gallons of water a day.

Drinking too much can be as dangerous as not enough. And teh symptoms are the same, so take care.

That falls under stupid diet tricks, IMO. And as soon as you stop taking it, guess what. Same for any fad diet. What you need is to change your life habits.

Anyway, good on you on getting fit. ^^

Volcompat321
Jun 29, 2009, 11:04 AM
Drinking too much can be as dangerous as not enough. And teh symptoms are the same, so take care.

That falls under stupid diet tricks, IMO. And as soon as you stop taking it, guess what. Same for any fad diet. What you need is to change your life habits.

Anyway, good on you on getting fit. ^^

Yea it can, but 2 gallons throughout a day really isn't that much.
Also, you have to drink the amount of water you body can take.
It obviously varies from person to person. :D
I'm not trying to tell someone weighing 120 pounds to drink 2 gallons a day lol.
(I'm no expert anyway, but I'd suggest at least 4-6 bottles of water a day)
Yea that hydroxycut shit is fail diet trick. It works on like 4% of the people. (pulling that out of my ass)
But I'm pretty sure it's not specifically effective to everyone. Different bodies need different diets and eating habits.

UnderscoreX
Jun 30, 2009, 05:02 AM
You know Rasputin's advice wasn't totally crazy. Ever wonder why people sit in saunas after they work out ? The hotter you are the more you sweat, and you don't just lose water weight your body fights to try bring your temperature down so it burns calories.

I wouldn't recommened it if you're not used to working out that hard, but it's not completely ridiculous.

SabZero
Jun 30, 2009, 01:26 PM
You know Rasputin's advice wasn't totally crazy. Ever wonder why people sit in saunas after they work out ? The hotter you are the more you sweat, and you don't just lose water weight your body fights to try bring your temperature down so it burns calories.

I wouldn't recommened it if you're not used to working out that hard, but it's not completely ridiculous.

Well, Saunas are a controlled environment (and you don't move), just putting on too much clothes to sweat is a big gamble on your health.

I also believe Saunas are for detox, not weight loss.

Rasputin
Jul 3, 2009, 01:02 AM
Oh, I can't say in anyway that working out with layers upon layers of clothing is safe; however, when you treat weight like a number then you might as well do it the way wrestlers do--anything to get that number down. Is it healthy or safe? No. Will you lose weight? Yes. Why my ENEMA comment was baleeted, I do not know. It is also a very valid way to make that number go down, not to mention it helps prevent certain types of cancer.

Nitro Vordex
Jul 3, 2009, 01:06 AM
Cleaning out your intestines is always good. Got about 5-10 pounds of shit(literally!) in there.

DB
Jul 3, 2009, 10:12 PM
Personally, whenever I feel like losing weight, I start counting calories and make my life style a little bit more active. There are plenty of weight and calorie calculators out there, and they are a good place to start. Considering you don't want to just cut your calories down to a certain amount. (2,000 Calorie Diet Being an example) It depends on your size, and your lifestyle habits. Otherwise it will literally feel like you're starving yourself if you have a higher calorie diet, and then later you'll end up gorging and destroying your entire diet and all your hard work.

All I can say is try to stay active, and try to cut calories when you can. Go outside and play with your friends or kids if you have them. And try to make a small aerobics routine for yourself, or something simple with just weight lifting/exercises. Anything to start kicking your heart and metabolism into gear.

One of the easiest ways to lose weight fast is to actually cut out soda/pop/cola w/e out of your diet. It contains a ton of calories and sugar. And yes you still need calories, but you don't need to gorge on them. And yes there are good calories and bad calories. Alot of stuff to watch when you choose to diet.

And IMHO stay away from fad diets (Atkins, No Carb, No Fats, Grapefruit Diet, No Red Meat etc) As this will just end limiting your choice and making you want those things that are being cut out of your normal diet even more.

Also stay away from weight loss pills. Most of em are dangerous. And they get more dangerous with a good diet or a healthy life style to boot (You'd be surprised). Whether it boils down to heart failures or liver problems, they just have to many dangerous and often times lethal side effects, as well as making you reliant on a product that costs more money. Think of it as smoking and getting addicted, except it's to a weight loss pill instead. You start taking them every day without thought, like a false prescription.

There are actually alot of options out there for weight loss. But, you yourself need to actively pursue them, and it can be hard. Considering alot of weight loss choices cost cold hard cash. Whether its a book your buying, DvDs, special tea drinks, pills, work out equipment etc. It all costs cash. Even Wii Fit is a great option. However it all costs cash. The only thing that doesn't cost cash costs time. And that's calensthetics (Spelled Wrong) staying very active, and jogging/walking/running in public, which most people hate doing.

As for the greater lack of it in general. We are in (Only pertains to those in America) America, and corporations push snack foods and fast food like it's going out of style. And our healthy eating options usually get limited due to time constraints. So why not grab a bag of Doritos and pop a Hot Pocket into the microwave instead? (Since you have to rush to your job/school/meeting)

Boils down to this. Time, cash, effort. (Not necessarily in that order) And not alot of people have that much time to spare anymore. Therefore they can't put forth the effort.

That and some junk food just tastes damn good. To good to give up sometimes.

BlaizeYES
Jul 7, 2009, 08:48 AM
well you know, its summer. over the winter, i'll usually always put on a little less than a handful of pounds, all consisting of unneeded fat, that will act as an extra skin layer over my body. the extra layer of skin makes it a little thicker and has my skin feel a little more like plush, like i can poke it and it will move. but come summer, i am constantly outside every second i get and i'm sweating constantly. as soon as that sun breaks free and shows itself from beyond the horizon, i am outdoors(whether at work, at school, or on a day off) to greet his coming. plus, i sweat constantly on purpose.

also, i swim alot since i don't really have time to lift weights anymore, and it's actually a pretty good substitute, as i've noticed my body becoming more "cut" than "stacked," and my muscle mass has mostly stayed intact but i notice more definition in every area. i'm sure that is what you're going for leviathan. around 1:30 or 2 each day, i have about an hour and a half for myself before i go back to work, and i'll swim and get some sun in... i'll exercise outdoors in 96% humidity while watching a massive sweat puddle building up on the ground below me. sounds gross, yes, but when you lose practically ALL the fat on your body and that sweat can just run freely down thinned out, tanned skin... it makes you more energized. and the more you sweat, the better your skin looks, and everything just gets a little better. but dont expect to sweat in a pool, that won't happen ever.

and doing stomach crunches, i'd go easy on those to lose stomach fat. its going to build muscle in your stomach, and then you're going to be pissed because your stomach sticks out more(and you cant suck it in) because you now have abs. to get rid of fat on any part of the body, i'd tell you to focus on the whole body, rather than just doing a single area... it's better in the long run and you'll look hotter, too

SabZero
Jul 7, 2009, 09:23 AM
and doing stomach crunches, i'd go easy on those to lose stomach fat. its going to build muscle in your stomach, and then you're going to be pissed because your stomach sticks out more(and you cant suck it in) because you now have abs. to get rid of fat on any part of the body, i'd tell you to focus on the whole body, rather than just doing a single area... it's better in the long run and you'll look hotter, too

It ought to be well known by now that "spot reduction" doesn't work. ^^;

Kylie
Jul 8, 2009, 03:13 AM
I'm going to have to take this to heart because my fast metabolism can't last forever, or... can it?

Nitro Vordex
Jul 8, 2009, 07:18 PM
(2,000 Calorie Diet Being an example) It depends on your size, and your lifestyle habits. Otherwise it will literally feel like you're starving yourself if you have a higher calorie diet, and then later you'll end up gorging and destroying your entire diet and all your hard work.

An average person in reality will need about 2,500- ~3,500 calories a day. 2,000 calories is bare minimum, meaning this is all the calories you body will burn if you were to just sit around and do absolutely nothing. Oh, and go to the bathroom. Counting calories is actually easy, just make small changes. Don't cut like 10 things out. Replace them with something better. Easy stuff.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Jul 8, 2009, 10:31 PM
I actually eat around 1,000-1,200 calories a day. Although I haven't worked out in a while (which is good because running with heavy weights was like complete and utter torture. Don't get me started on Kendo) I still maintain my weight of 155-160. So basically you just need to work out, eat healthy, and stay active. Oh and don't get shot or stabbed. I hear it leads to death. Which is bad. Alot of bad.

Oh and I hear sex is a fantastic way to get rid of calories!

SabZero
Jul 9, 2009, 07:29 AM
Hm, calorie counting can lead to obsessive behaviour, and then to eating disorders (if a person is predisposed)...

Zarode
Jul 9, 2009, 02:28 PM
http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/

You guys would benefit from this. It's pretty much medically correct on all terms. If you READ and FOLLOW everything it says, you'll be golden.

It's not a diet. It's not a workout routine. It's to help people to correctly calorie count.

SabZero
Jul 9, 2009, 03:42 PM
Urgh. BMI has since been discredited for being a guidline of any use to anyone. Some people are happier heavier or lighter then others.

Zarode
Jul 10, 2009, 09:04 AM
Unhealthy and happy? Okay. BMI isn't the golden rule, yeah, but it is pretty much right. If you are too low of a BMI for your height, good chance, you are not fit, at all. Skinny =! fit. Healthy? Probably, but not fit. Muscle weights more then fat, of course. Part of BMI is to measure muscle mass, also. Body Mass Index. :P

Nitro Vordex
Jul 10, 2009, 01:58 PM
Muscle weights more then fat, of course.
DENSER. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle#Density_of_muscle_tissue_compared_to_adipos e_tissue)

And in case no one clicks on that.

Quoted from Wikipedia:
Density of muscle tissue compared to adipose tissue

The density (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Density) of mammalian skeletal muscle tissue is about 1.06 kg/liter[11] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle#cite_note-10). This can be contrasted with the density of adipose tissue (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adipose_tissue) (fat), which is 0.9196 kg/liter[12] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle#cite_note-11). This makes muscle tissue approximately 15% denser than fat tissue.And this article is for the BMI garbage. (http://www.bakelblog.com/nobodys_business/2006/08/science_is_what.html)

This too. (http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2006/nov/28/healthandwellbeing.health1)

SabZero
Jul 10, 2009, 02:38 PM
Thanks, Nitro.

They also say being a little chubby makes your body more able to cope with disease. Take that, flu A.

Firocket1690
Jul 12, 2009, 01:26 AM
Stop posting and run.
Now.
Get out.

Volcompat321
Jul 12, 2009, 01:43 AM
This thread has gone on long enough, no one has the balls to say what they are thinking.
That being said, -

psyche!

Sayara
Jul 12, 2009, 05:06 PM
This has finally met its course.

If you want to discuss this further please continue it in a PM.