PDA

View Full Version : Why do you think...?

zwandude15
Jun 19, 2009, 10:19 PM
In some cases, do you find more comfort/support here in the forums than you would with people you really know?

See, if I were to make a post about how I was somewhat
disappointed about the way Grad Night turned out yesterday/today
on Myspace, I'll bet I'd get 2 messages from people that matter (somewhat)
about what happened and how they're sorry.

Whereas, if I post something here, not only would I probably get a
greater response, I would get various long, well thought-out opinions
that would listen to the entire dilemma, and perhaps even ask questions
to get a better idea of the situation.

Is there a reason people find comfort in others they don't really know or have never met?
Or if you don't feel that way and feel you'd rather talk to people you know, explain your reasoning.
:p

On a side note; anyone fill me in on where any of our older members left to?
I miss seeing posts by ABDUR, Rena, Uriko (who's changed his name apparently?), Rico, etc.

MetaZedlen
Jun 19, 2009, 11:09 PM
A. I get what you're saying about the confort zone in forums, probably because people just like to give advice or something related to that. I guess it's because it's a place to where you can vent about shit, and get sympathy and advice from problems, and also in the case that you are talking about someone IRL, it's easier to keep it under wraps on a forum instead of RL.

B. *points at PSU General* THAT is why most of our more intelligent posters have disappeared...

zwandude15
Jun 19, 2009, 11:29 PM
You make a point, the people here would be less
likely to spread that kind of personal information I suppose.

B. *points at PSU General* THAT is why more of our more intelligent posters have disappeared...

ahh, makes more sense. :P

Volcompat321
Jun 19, 2009, 11:57 PM
When I'm drunk...like now...I tend to come to PSO-W for insight. PSO-W-ers are helpful people.
Thanks FKL!

astuarlen
Jun 20, 2009, 12:24 AM
The Internet is filled with people you don't know. If they agree or sympathize with you, awesome; if they don't, you can ignore them because they are probably dumkopfs.
First thing that came to mind.

Rasputin
Jun 20, 2009, 12:27 AM
Counterpoint: I don't.

zwandude15
Jun 20, 2009, 12:32 AM
Counterpoint: I don't.

Haha, care to enlighten us as to why?

Or do you think we'll bite? ;D

Gentlemen
Jun 20, 2009, 12:34 AM
Maybe Rasputin has real friends?

Rasputin
Jun 20, 2009, 12:35 AM
I've been figured out!

Lance813
Jun 20, 2009, 12:35 AM
The internet is full of people who want attention.

zwandude15
Jun 20, 2009, 12:42 AM
I've been figured out!

oh shi-! ...wait a minute, this isn't FKL. >_>

Lance813
Jun 20, 2009, 12:47 AM
Good observation.

AzureBlaze
Jun 20, 2009, 02:42 AM
I've seen it happen.
My theory is that its BECAUSE they are people you don't know. Spilling a bunch of stuff to a stranger is ok because it doesn't have the baggage of people you already know. They don't know you, you don't know them, there's not a whole lot to judge on there so that makes it more 'ok'.

I've had people on PSO (yes old w/e) tell me all this details of their relationships out of like nowhere. Stuff you wouldnt even tell like...your sibling or BFF or whatever. Why? Because I'm a faceless robot standing there staring at them. It's simultaneously more ok and less ok to tell things like that. After all, what am I going to do...?

Also, some boards (ie here) are more chatty than others.
That depends on the type of crowd (like some things attract tons of self-absorbed people who will ignore you and everyone else OR other things attract more thoughtful types) that's active at wherever you're posting. It also depends on the interest base as well/cross interest like here in the rants and the OT. The OT does not tend to have big Barbie discussions but it will talk movies and other games due to the cross interest compatability.

zwandude15
Jun 20, 2009, 03:24 AM
I've seen it happen.
My theory is that its BECAUSE they are people you don't know. Spilling a bunch of stuff to a stranger is ok because it doesn't have the baggage of people you already know. They don't know you, you don't know them, there's not a whole lot to judge on there so that makes it more 'ok'.

I've had people on PSO (yes old w/e) tell me all this details of their relationships out of like nowhere. Stuff you wouldnt even tell like...your sibling or BFF or whatever. Why? Because I'm a faceless robot standing there staring at them. It's simultaneously more ok and less ok to tell things like that. After all, what am I going to do...?

Good thought.

I guess it depends on the person too though.
You'd think that if it was something personal, you
wouldn't tell a complete stranger something like that.

But the fact that you're X miles away might be a bit more comforting...

Shiro_Ryuu
Jun 23, 2009, 10:57 PM
My opinion is the same reason as Azure, that it may be easier for some people to talk about their problems in the internet where they don't have to show their face and they can be anonymous. I myself just feel nervous if I were to talk about my problems to my friends, and I may even feel guilty for having to let all my problems out on my friends that I have met in person at one point in my life. For the internet, it's tougher to feel that guilt because it's just as Azure said, an anonymous, face-less robot, someone I have never met in my life and probably never will [unless they are really close to me and I happen to be going to their hometown and were good friends].

Volcompat321
Jun 24, 2009, 12:09 AM
Isn't PSO-W great? lol

Kent
Jun 24, 2009, 12:34 AM
The ultimately spurious veil of anonymity on a forum such as this one lends itself well to the willingness of people to really talk about what they're feeling, which is a rather interesting phenomena when it comes to taking counsel in what are generally complete strangers.

Despite that I've been here approximately one forever, I don't typically come here for support, but more along the lines of discussion (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158497). Just a personal preference, I guess - I have people I know with which I prefer to deliberate on things.